Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting notice/viewings query boardsies

Options
  • 06-05-2019 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Afternoon Boardsies
    I have a query re viewings while you are renting in a house. Person renting a house 10 years has been recently told that the house that they renting is now going to be sold. I know that they have 224 days before termination.They just received a letter and nothing else to say that the house is going to be sold in the coming weeks and viewings need to be arranged! Are they under any obligation to allow viewings in the house? People treapsing around etc.Where could I get more info about allowing viewings or does anybody know whats the story with viewings .Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

What does their lease say? There are no hard and fast rules, it's all down to what the tenant agreed to in the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭KinnegadKid

So have the details
    During the last month of tenancy to allow the landlord affix a notice to or outside the property announcing sale etc etc
    During the last month of tenancy and only by prior appointment to allow the landlord accompanied by not more than 2 persons to enter the property to view it as prospective purchaser or tenant etc
    PS just to say that the house has been taken over by a vulture fund 4 who now wants to sell it, not that it matters i suppose?

So have the details
    During the last month of tenancy to allow the landlord affix a notice to or outside the property announcing sale etc etc
    During the last month of tenancy and only by prior appointment to allow the landlord accompanied by not more than 2 persons to enter the property to view it as prospective purchaser or tenant etc
    PS just to say that the house has been taken over by a vulture fund 4 who now wants to sell it, not that it matters i suppose?

You have your answer there. They have agreed to facilitate viewings. Interestingly landlord plus no more than 2 means landlord plus up to two or landlord, estate agent plus one.

Your friend may have some negotiating power there if the new ll wants to allow the estate agent to replace the landlord at viewingsand show to couples...

Agreed where!...They only received the letter last week.They still have 220 plus days left in tenancy .Why would you facilitate viewings in a couple of weeks with 220 days left in tenancy?

Lease says they don't have to until the last month?

• Advertisement

Ah ok....so if the company selling the property on behalf of the vulture fund try and say that they are going to have the house viewed in the next couple of weeks/months...they are pulling a fast one...renter does'nt have to allow anybody in to the house to view it for sale till last month of tenure which is oct/nov 2019 or 224 days thereabouts.? rite

Why not just let it be viewed? It’s only causing hassle for themselves and getting on the wrong side of the LL etc who they will be looking for a reference from. Hardly that much of a deal to allow a few people view the house, I never get why people make such big deals out of minor things like this.

The issue is that the letter was only sent out last week to say it will be sold after tenancy expires.Which is the end of the year 2019.Since the letter last week they sent another since then to say there will be viewings in a couple of weeks... a bit irish no?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah ok....so if the company selling the property on behalf of the vulture fund try and say that they are going to have the house viewed in the next couple of weeks/months...they are pulling a fast one...renter does'nt have to allow anybody in to the house to view it for sale till last month of tenure which is oct/nov 2019 or 224 days thereabouts.? rite

Right!

It is an invasion of privacy.

The issue is that the letter was only sent out last week to say it will be sold after tenancy expires.Which is the end of the year 2019.Since the letter last week they sent another since then to say there will be viewings in a couple of weeks... a bit irish no?

Nothing to do with being Irish!! They're hoping the tenant isn't aware of their rights. There are chancers everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Roisin76

Afternoon Boardsies
    I have a query re viewings while you are renting in a house. Person renting a house 10 years has been recently told that the house that they renting is now going to be sold. I know that they have 224 days before termination.They just received a letter and nothing else to say that the house is going to be sold in the coming weeks and viewings need to be arranged! Are they under any obligation to allow viewings in the house? People treapsing around etc.Where could I get more info about allowing viewings or does anybody know whats the story with viewings .Thanks in advance

No, they're not under obligation to allow viewings (even if a contract would say so).

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

it brings into question new legislation being proposed to prevent eviction as a reason when selling, if the tenant attitude is to not co-operate or to obstruct the sale.
    It also begs the question why you should prevent a buyer who wishes to purchase a property from viewing after all you are in a limited tenancy of 4 or 6 years unless it was an indefinite agreed one.
    As a consequence of a housing shortage lls have had long notice periods imposed so tenants can plan and have more time to find a new place why should someone who wants to buy and a seller be prevented or obstructed the stress is on all side you should be reasonable and move on amazed at the entitlement attitude here.

Perfectly reasonable, they are a tenant not an owner and the owner is fully entitled to sell their house and expect a tenant to cooperate.

Not allowing viewing etc is nothing but being an awkward and bad tenant and I would expect no reference or a very bad reference to be given it they act like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Perfectly reasonable, they are a tenant not an owner and the owner is fully entitled to sell their house and expect a tenant to cooperate.

Not allowing viewing etc is nothing but being an awkward and bad tenant and I would expect no reference or a very bad reference to be given it they act like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think its unreasonable to expect a tenant to tolerate/facilitate the inconvenience of viewings for months before a tenancy ends. I also find it hard to see how months of viewings would be compatible with peaceful enjoyment.

In the case of the OP, the agreement appears to be pretty unambiguous
    During the last month of tenancy.....

Whichever fund purchased the properties surely discovered this contractual stipulation as part of their due diligence.

Graham wrote: »
    I think its unreasonable to expect a tenant to tolerate/facilitate the inconvenience of viewings for months before a tenancy ends. I also find it hard to see how months of viewings would be compatible with peaceful enjoyment.

It depends on how it’s done and how involved the tenant feels they need to be. I have a work colleague who’s rental was for sale for quite a while and viewing went on over a few months. It had close to no impact on him, he told them to view during the day while he wasn’t there so he never even saw them coming and going. He had no interest in being there and was happy for the estate agent to let enter and show around the perspective purchasers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Lucky landlord to have such an accommodating tenant.

That negates nothing in my previous post and makes no difference to the OP, the OP's lease or the OP's right to peaceful enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

has a notice of termination even been served yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

My landlord was in a situation where his bank insisted he put the property on the market, and he agreed with us all that the Estate Agent could show the house at 10am for one hour on Tuesday and Wednesday. Which was fine. However, the Estate Agent was given a key and would arrive whenever it suited him - once when I was in the shower! So I would advise that you agree a couple of times that suit, and that you get plenty of notice so you can lock stuff away. And no open viewings as all sorts wander up to these. But if they don't stick to the rules, tell them the deal is off until the last month of the tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Ugh. You don't know about the ones you can't smell. So you smell the smelly ones and think they all smell.

I'm guessing you quoted the wrong post here, but I'd say that also applies to estate agents and prospective buyers/tenants who view your place while you're out... :pac:

• Advertisement

As far as I know all that was received was letter stating that the house is going to be sold.
    What should be received when 'notice of termination' is sent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

As far as I know all that was received was letter stating that the house is going to be sold.
    What should be received when 'notice of termination' is sent?

The RTB has details on notices of termination here. A notice must follow the specified format and contain all of the required information, or it is not valid and can be challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

dennyk wrote: »
    The RTB has details on notices of termination here. A notice must follow the specified format and contain all of the required information, or it is not valid and can be challenged.

Yes, but has a notice of termination even been sent?

As far as I know not as of yet .

Also just to ask...
    Does the tenant have to allow lets say an estate agent or valuer or ber rating adviser on site.?
    Or you are under no obligation to allow access until the last month of tenure?

Also just to ask...
    Does the tenant have to allow lets say an estate agent or valuer or ber rating adviser on site.?
    Or you are under no obligation to allow access until the last month of tenure?

Again it should be in the lease. The landlord or their agent, or professionals acting on their behalf

Advertisement