Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase in bounty.

Options
  • 06-05-2019 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭

What are the chances of getting an increase in the mink bounty. The mink is probably doing more damage than all the conservation projects that are on going in the whole country. And the damage agriculture is doing as well.. A mere €3 is not much of an incentive to trap them. €10 would be more of an incentive. Comments please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Who pays???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Richard308

Its a joke, plus you must have a minimum of 8 carcasses. It would cost more to get them to Dublin. I have 15 killed in last 8 months. Lost 5 chickens to them. One Bit the kids cat, vet bill of 75€. And I’m only a lad with a half acre. And my loss is an expense one can barely afford. Those animal rights activists who released them have done more damage than they’ll ever know or care to understand. If not for gun clubs there wouldn’t be a duck or pheasant left in the country with them. The mink killed over 80 pheasants a club near me were planning to release the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Who pays???

The tax payer of course. Everyone would benefit from their extinction. If there was a fish kill on a river from agricultural practices or from industry it would be on the news. It is an environmental issue. How many would be submitted for collection in any given year. 1000-2000. At most I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I recon the bounty will finnish in the next couple of years. In fact, isn't the grey squirrel bounty already gone? Don't trap squirrel's, as we have reds here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I pretty sure that EU money could be tapped for this if we had a government that was even vaguely interested in safe guarding our natural heritage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I don't get any mink but I do get a good few grey squirrels and the bounty is the same€3 I give them to our member of the gun club for the vermin count and we always get the few bob back from the NARGC and the money goes to our club.

marlin vs wrote: »
    I don't get any mink but I do get a good few grey squirrels and the bounty is the same€3 I give them to our member of the gun club for the vermin count and we always get the few bob back from the NARGC and the money goes to our club.

A ok. Sorry thought the squirrel bounty was finnished. Heard nothing about it the last number of years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

The 3 euro is paid by the NARGC alone the npws stopped funding it a number of years ago. There is no requirement to submit 8 at a time. The squirrel payment of 3 euro has not been paid for a number of years.
    Individual RGC's may have different arrangements

grassroot1 wrote: »
    The 3 euro is paid by the NARGC alone the npws stopped funding it a number of years ago. There is no requirement to submit 8 at a time. The squirrel payment of 3 euro has not been paid for a number of years.
    Individual RGC's may have different arrangements

Thanks for clearing thst one up grassroot1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The tax payer of course. Everyone would benefit from their extinction. If there was a fish kill on a river from agricultural practices or from industry it would be on the news. It is an environmental issue. How many would be submitted for collection in any given year. 1000-2000. At most I'd say.
    Rather see my taxes going towards mink control and other vermin than the vermin you see outside McDonald’s in the morning still out of their nut with a coffee in their hands.

• Advertisement

Anybody any idea as to how many mink are trapped each year.

ah no! It's CWEEELL and the necklace clutchers in ICABS & Co would be demanding a ban on mink hunting as it no doubt only encourage us blood thirsty lot to blast the poor mink into extinction....Forgetting that it was their kind who infested the countryside with released mink in the first place.:rolleyes: No ,no doubt some political huffing puffing would occur,but the purse strings wouldn't be loosened.We are on the last end of the line for funding or anything else from Govt.The Irish Morris danceing team would get quicker funding than we would get a mink increase in bounty.We'd be better off rendering down those bad temperd rodents into oil and selling their fat as an exellent leather protection for shoes,and making fur coats for our better halves from them than getting a bounty.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

No harm in dreaming. I tend to look on the bright side of everything. I think I have some of that mink oil somewhere. Would it be any good for trapping I wonder.

No harm in dreaming. I tend to look on the bright side of everything. I think I have some of that mink oil somewhere. Would it be any good for trapping I wonder.

Nope.But its damn good for waterproofing anything leather.

Anybody any idea as to how many mink are trapped each year.

I'd say between four and five thousand

I have he figure somewhere for the mink bounty (NARGC)
    Iirc its hundreds not thousands
    I will check later

I have he figure somewhere for the mink bounty (NARGC)
    Iirc its hundreds not thousands
    I will check later

Surely every club gets at least thirty per annum? How many clubs in the country? One member of our club gets around fourty each year.

Eddie B wrote:
    Surely every club gets at least thirty per annum? How many clubs in the country? One member of our club gets around fourty each year.

Eddie there are counties/RGC's that don't send in tails.
    That's not to say them dont catch any of course
    Roughly 900 clubs in the Nargc

Eddie there are counties/RGC's that don't send in tails.
    That's not to say them dont catch any of course
    Roughly 900 clubs in the Nargc

True, but if only half the club's sent in a mere three tails, that would be over a thousand mink.

Anybody any idea what the bounty is in other countries if any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

Anybody any idea what the bounty is in other countries if any.

$5 reward in Utah, USA ...about €4.50

http://midutahradio.com/news/local-news/mink-bounty-added-in-sevier-county/

Iceland is around 25 euro a mink. It was fairly high in Sweden and Norway too up to recent times but can't find any info on it.

Just edited to add, that I contacted a YouTuber from Norway that I'm subscribed too and asked him about the bounty. He gets 500 Nok for fox's and similar price for mink. That's over fourth euro a pelt.

I presume that is €40 Eddie.

I presume that is €40 Eddie.

Yea sorry 40 euro

Mink wouldn't be long getting scarce in Ireland at €40. We can only dream.

None in Germany from the State.Plenty of raw fur dealers tho.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    None in Germany from the State.Plenty of raw fur dealers tho.
    Any idea as to the value of the pelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Birdnuts wrote:
    I pretty sure that EU money could be tapped for this if we had a government that was even vaguely interested in safe guarding our natural heritage.

EU money or otherwise Irish taxpayer is still paying as we are a net contributor now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    EU money or otherwise Irish taxpayer is still paying as we are a net contributor now

Reminds me of the comedy show Frank Skinner had on years ago. He walks into the dole office the day after he leaves school and asks if this is the place you get the free money.

I had a vision of the irish meps heading over to brussels and asking the same thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement