Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land clearance -15 acres of brambles and gorse

Options
  • 06-05-2019 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello all

I recently purchased a house with 15 acres of land in Co Roscommon. The terrain is full of patches of brambles and gorse besides nettles, rushes, etc.

I am looking for advice on the most cost effective way of clearing the land for pasture. Currently I started with a trimmer and I managed to clear a couple of small patches but it is rather time consuming, besides I will have to burn the brambles once they dry up and spay the roots.

I was thinking of a quad bike with a flail mower. Any one has tried this? Or would I be better in hiring a tractor with a flail mower and then spray the land with glyphosate?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

paam wrote: »
    Hello all

I recently purchased a house with 15 acres of land in Co Roscommon. The terrain is full of patches of brambles and gorse besides nettles, rushes, etc.

I am looking for advice on the most cost effective way of clearing the land for pasture. Currently I started with a trimmer and I managed to clear a couple of small patches but it is rather time consuming, besides I will have to burn the brambles once they dry up and spay the roots.

I was thinking of a quad bike with a flail mower. Any one has tried this? Or would I be better in hiring a tractor with a flail mower and then spray the land with glyphosate?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hire someone in to do it. Anything else is a waste of time and money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect this would be better asked in the farming forum. you are most likely going to need a local farmer to do it for you.
    i know this will probably come across as rude, but i am wondering why you bought land with a view to turning into farmland if there are basic issues you're asking the internet for help with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paam

i suspect this would be better asked in the farming forum. you are most likely going to need a local farmer to do it for you.
    i know this will probably come across as rude, but i am wondering why you bought land with a view to turning into farmland if there are basic issues you're asking the internet for help with.

I tried to find the farming forum but this was the closest. If you can move it that would be great.

Regarding your comment, it is not rude at all. I grew up in farm just in a different country with different problems. The land will mostly be used for horses and it is a small holding :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Best option is to hire a contractor with large digger to clear the area and scrape back all the brambles etc. 15 acres is a lot to clear even if parts are good so you might want to do it in manageable sections

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't have the ability to move it, but this is the farming forum - there's also a smallholding subforum there:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=845

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Can you burn it?

No burning allowed till Autumn. OP says it's patchy so might not suit a burn anyway. Maybe just get goats in?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Might need more then just clearance if it's for horses. I'm not a horsey person but AFAIK they need fairly even ground or they can injure themselves.

Ask local horsey people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

How about fostering a couple of donkeys - they are browsers and love brambles, nettles etc. I would say goats too but goats can be hard to keep in one spot - sometimes the donkey sanctuaries can be on the look out for places to house donkeys in the summer - (the fields would have to be secure because donkeys do like to roam and they would need a little shelter too)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Be the jaysus, 15 acres is some garden.

• Advertisement
Advertisement