Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug hotels

Options
  • 06-05-2019 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭

I just seen a piece on rte news regarding the tidy towns projects and the encouragement of biodiversity in local areas with focus on attracting pollinators and promoting the fight against the drastic bee decline.
    Rather than concentrating on annuals which take a lot of work, gardeners should be instead planting wildflowers and leaving some areas wild, giving our little friends a very much needed helping hand.
    One important element they spoke about, which I never gave a thought to, was bug hotels. These are habitats one can have in the garden where pollinators can find refuge and hibernation and not have such a difficult time in our over managed areas.
    It also stated that bees love dandelions and we shouldn't be eradicating them.

I am hoping some experienced peeps on here can advise more on these bug hotels; best materials, setting and such.
    Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement