Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What oil do you use?

Options
  • 06-05-2019 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what oil people use. I've been using Muc-off Wet for commuting when the weather is bad and it's generally grand but it leaves the drivetrain covered in thick gloop which is a pain in the ass to get off. Anything better around or is it always going to be like that with wet oil?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I use muc off dry most of the time . It needs to be reapplied a lot more than the wet, but it's easier to clean off and picks up less grit.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MyDarkArts

I use Purple Extreme wet or dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

MyDarkArts wrote: »
    I use Purple Extreme wet or dry.

When did you last buy that?

Best lube I ever had until I bought the new non solvent air travel friendly version. Awful performance now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Baby oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Squirt. Use a dry brush to clean the drive chain. No more oily hands, the wax just crumbles away. I do live each roller individually though so a little bit more time consuming and you've to do it the night before (which you should be doing anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

WD40

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MyDarkArts

When did you last buy that?

Best lube I ever had until I bought the new non solvent air travel friendly version. Awful performance now
    Must be about 2 years ago, if not more, still have half a bottle left too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to just use standard 3 in 1, but picked up muc off wet and dry when it was reduced in aldi. would agree that the wet stuff is very sticky.
    the dry stuff looks a little *too* thin, and also looks like something it shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Used to use mic-off wet and dry. The dry drys too quickly and the wet gathers too much crap. Just applied Smoove. Will see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

White Lightning is the best I've used. Bought a bottle in the US a few years ago and sorry I didn't buy a few more. The chain/sprockets stay incredibly clean with it.

Just wondering what oil people use. I've been using Muc-off Wet for commuting when the weather is bad and it's generally grand but it leaves the drivetrain covered in thick gloop which is a pain in the ass to get off. Anything better around or is it always going to be like that with wet oil?
    Sounds like you're using too much. A tiny drop on the contact side of every third link is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I use sewing machine oil, and recently Muc Off hydrophobic stuff which I find too thick and a buggar to clean. It does stay on much better when it gets damp but I'm happy to sacrifice a little extra moisture for an easier to clean drive chain. I feicin hate cleaning drivetrains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Rock N Roll Gold Lube, supposed to be one that can't fly but I've bought from Ribble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I find the muc off wet does gunk up pretty easily. Bit of wd40 on a toothbrush does shift it handy. The dry one I find can only last a very short time - even on a long dry spin in the middle of the summer, everything’s squeeling towards the end.

I’ve experimented with the own brand stuff from halfords and found it as good as the muc off stuff

Has anyone used those Muc Off tools for cleaning you fix to the chain and turn the cranks???? Saw some in dealz the other day and it appealed to my lazy side but my sane side figured it's not as effective as actually cleaning it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Has anyone used those Muc Off tools for cleaning you fix to the chain and turn the cranks???? Saw some in dealz the other day and it appealed to my lazy side but my sane side figured it's not as effective as actually cleaning it properly.

Just used one today on the hacker. They’re grand. Do the job.

Was all I needed to hear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

I stopped using oil for about a year. Used candle wax mixed with paraffin oil, melted down in a rice cooker. Would take the chain off the bike and dip it into the melted wax. Had to reapply weekly. Kept the drive train really clean, but in very wet weather, the wax did not last more than 150km.

Reverted back to oil about a month ago, 3in1. It’s fine, but I hate the dirty drive chain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Anyone who uses Muc-off has notions. 3 in 1 is the only job.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Squirt dry lube but I live in a hot country. No faffing with oil for me. No sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i used to just use standard 3 in 1....
    ....3 in 1 is the only job.
    Is it not a bit thin/light for a chain? I'd imagine it wouldn't last on a long wet ride.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Is it not a bit thin/light for a chain? I'd imagine it wouldn't last on a long wet ride.

I never really noticed.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't recall having been out for more than an hour or two in the wet while i was using it, but my routine was that if i had been, i'd re-oil the chain before the next ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Any good waxes that you can apply without spraying or dripping?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I use this one and a little goes a long way. Cheap enough too, I'd usually buy 3 or 4 bottles at a time.

I find the muc off too thin and messy, 3in1 oil is grand but for me it will hold onto grit and sand so wouldn't use if near the coast

terrydel wrote: »
    Any good waxes that you can apply without spraying or dripping?

Have you tried Squirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Sounds like you're using too much. A tiny drop on the contact side of every third link is enough.[/QUOTE]

If it's really only a tiny drop on every 3rd link that's needed then I'm definitely using too much. I've always applied a drop to every link. Would the same go for dry lube?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Have you tried Squirt?

Nope. Will check it out
    Anyone selling it here?

terrydel wrote: »
    Nope. Will check it out
    Anyone selling it here?

I always just pick it up on wiggle or CRC. Think Amazon also stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Been using Halfords bike hut brand wet and dry oils for the last 4 or 5 years.

The dry oil lasts a good while before needing to be reapplies. The wet is equally as good and not overly sticky IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement