Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rendering a wall

• 06-05-2019 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭

So is this something your average diyer could do (and pass the missus test)?
    Or is it better left to a professional?

I have about 50sqm of back wall that we’d like to render & paint.

Online YouTube demos make it look easy....but is it really?

Also, if I decide to paint the block work now & render in a year or two, will painting make it a problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

youtube makes everything look easy lol I'm in the buildings for years & I wouldnt chance doing it, I'd get someone to do.

painting wont make it impossible but will increase the work involved & therefor cost attached,
    daheff wrote: »
    So is this something your average diyer could do (and pass the missus test)?
    Or is it better left to a professional?

I have about 50sqm of back wall that we’d like to render & paint.

Online YouTube demos make it look easy....but is it really?

Also, if I decide to paint the block work now & render in a year or two, will painting make it a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

SC024 wrote: »
    youtube makes everything look easy lol I'm in the buildings for years & I wouldnt chance doing it, I'd get someone to do.

painting wont make it impossible but will increase the work involved & therefor cost attached,
    +1
    Its a skill

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Get a quote to have it done and then see if you think it's worth it.
    You will probably figure it out, but not before you are able to do it properly on your own wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Pay a pro, your eyes will be drawn to every mistake and it will drive you mad, pay the money and sleep well.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Meh, it's doable I'd do it myself tbh.

Yes it's a skill but your not sticking on acrylic render here. It's a garden wall.

Everything is a skill after you do it a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

listermint wrote: »
    Meh, it's doable I'd do it myself tbh.

Yes it's a skill but your not sticking on acrylic render here. It's a garden wall.

Everything is a skill after you do it a few times.

yeah i have to say i'm somewhat tempted.

i've some side wall that i could practice on. buys some ready mix mortar, some plasticizer and maybe give it a go. I guess worse case i can knock it off with a hammer & chisel?

Advertisement