Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

petrol tank

• 06-05-2019 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

hello i have a bultaco 250 trials have a problem with petrol tank it is fiberglass tank tank was painted but keeps blowing out in patches paint swells up comes off was told it is a reaction to modren petrol ,any views on how fix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

mi99 wrote: »
    hello i have a bultaco 250 trials have a problem with petrol tank it is fiberglass tank tank was painted but keeps blowing out in patches paint swells up comes off was told it is a reaction to modren petrol ,any views on how fix
    The only way you will be able to stop it is to line the tank with an ethanol resistant coating, POR 15, Caswell or another epoxy tank treatment, you will have to coat it 100% or the petrol will find a way under the sealant and blow the paint off again.
    The biggest issue is that ethanol fuel attacks resins so you need to find a resin that is safe for Fibreglass and also Ethanol fuel.
    Is the inside of the tank sticky or gummy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I searched a US site I often read. Higher ethanol content is a big problem for plastic tanks over there.
    The recommendation I found was for Caswell and to search Aprillaforum for practical experience of using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mi99

good hello thank you for reply gave me good information

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mi99

thank you for the good information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'd seriously look at getting a different tank, maybe a metal one from another bike , or one that has been previously sealed...sounds like the fibreglass in delaminating.... you'll be chasing your tail with this tank...

• Advertisement
Advertisement