Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Our draw at city don’t look so good now
    And Lampard seems to have steadied Chelsea , with hard working young players ( sound familiar) and booted out the bad egg to arsenal in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Ignore that one guys

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone! A bit of good news - I woke up this morning to find the toe infection vastly improved and the toe itself pain-free, so the antibiotics kicked in quicker than I would have dared to hope. After wearing my runners around the house for a bit to check there was no pain, I decided to head out on my 20-miler in an attempt to make up some mileage from this week. I stayed close to home in case the toe started to hurt again, just doing loops, and covered the toe with a bandage to make sure it didn't get irritated. In the end I stopped at 18 miles. From around 13 miles onwards I felt really tired and stiff, and by 17 miles my legs were really sore. Not in an injury way but just from tiredness and stiffness. I didn't want to risk any injury, as I knew, having only done 6 miles this week so far, I was playing fast and loose with the rule about what percentage of your total weekly miles your long run should be. So I stopped at 18. My heart rate was elevated too - from quite soon into the run (about 4 miles) it was up in the threshold zone no matter how much I tried to slow down. I think it was a combination of fighting the toe infection - and I've also had a bit of a cold this week (as has everyone else in my house) - and stiffness from not having run since Tuesday. Also ReeReeG's point above about having less energy on antibiotics definitely seems to be true in this case!

I'll try to remember in the week coming up to the marathon that it's important to get out and stretch my legs, even if it's only two or three miles.

The toe was fine, no pain either during or after the run. I've three more days of antibiotics and then the chiropodist on Thursday - hopefully she can fix whatever caused the problem in the first place.

So yes, I did miss a lot of miles this week, but I'm pleased that I still managed to get the long run in! Rest day tomorrow and then my next run is on Tuesday so hopefully the toe will be even more healed by then - fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

kyomi wrote: »
    Thanks for all the good wishes everyone! A bit of good news - I woke up this morning to find the toe infection vastly improved and the toe itself pain-free, so the antibiotics kicked in quicker than I would have dared to hope. After wearing my runners around the house for a bit to check there was no pain, I decided to head out on my 20-miler in an attempt to make up some mileage from this week. I stayed close to home in case the toe started to hurt again, just doing loops, and covered the toe with a bandage to make sure it didn't get irritated. In the end I stopped at 18 miles. From around 13 miles onwards I felt really tired and stiff, and by 17 miles my legs were really sore. Not in an injury way but just from tiredness and stiffness. I didn't want to risk any injury, as I knew, having only done 6 miles this week so far, I was playing fast and loose with the rule about what percentage of your total weekly miles your long run should be. So I stopped at 18. My heart rate was elevated too - from quite soon into the run (about 4 miles) it was up in the threshold zone no matter how much I tried to slow down. I think it was a combination of fighting the toe infection - and I've also had a bit of a cold this week (as has everyone else in my house) - and stiffness from not having run since Tuesday. Also ReeReeG's point above about having less energy on antibiotics definitely seems to be true in this case!

I'll try to remember in the week coming up to the marathon that it's important to get out and stretch my legs, even if it's only two or three miles.

The toe was fine, no pain either during or after the run. I've three more days of antibiotics and then the chiropodist on Thursday - hopefully she can fix whatever caused the problem in the first place.

So yes, I did miss a lot of miles this week, but I'm pleased that I still managed to get the long run in! Rest day tomorrow and then my next run is on Tuesday so hopefully the toe will be even more healed by then - fingers crossed.

Delighted for you. Thats great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great news Kyomi, well done on the lsr :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

kyomi wrote: »

Brilliant, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭akenno

I did the Longwood 3/4 marathon today. It was a lovely day for it. If it was like that in 3 weeks it would be ideal.

I decided to try and pace myself instead of sticking to the pacers for the 4 hours. I had them in sight when we were on a straight road and I caught up to them after the second water stop. I had to stop to go to the toilet at 27km, and my knee seized up a little bit after that. It was uncomfortable after that but apart from that I was grand. I'm not sure whether this means I shouldn't plan on stopping in DCM or whether I need to just keep moving if I do have to stop.

I finished in 3.10 so bang on for the 4 hour pacers which I was happy with.

Overall happy with the run today and looking forward to the taper now over the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rega

Longwood 3/4 Marathon

Today was an odd one. It was the first race that I've done that I didn't race. I didn't have any pre race nerves or restless night's sleep at all. I was as zen as a Buddhist monk.

I used it as a dry run for the marathon. I wore the socks, shorts and top I plan on wearing, had my regular breakfast and packed my bag with all the bits and pieces I'll need on the day.

I was up at 7, had some breakfast and was out the door at 7.30. I made it to Longwood at 9am. I registered and went back to the car to change.

I lined up with the 4 hour 30 marathon pacers and stayed with them for the first two miles. It was very crowded and I couldn't get into any sort of rhythm so I went out in front of them and settled down.

My pace was even enough at around the 10 minute 40 mark. I walked through the water stations as they were using cups and I didn't fancy waterboarding myself.

It was a lovely day for a run and the miles tipped along nicely. I picked up the pace for the last mile and a bit, nothing too serious, just to get finished. Back to the car and home in time for dinner. Result.

Things I learned:
    1. I'm happy with my gear for the big day.
    2. I must apply my anti chafe stick EVERYWHERE.
    3. I must get a cheap hoody and tracksuit legs for the waiting around. It was very chilly in the shade at the start this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I'll keep this short enough as, to be honest, I don't remember a huge amount about specific parts of the course.

I ran it with the wonderful DBB - was brilliant to meet her in person!
    It was harder than I thought to keep slow pace in check, especially after the 20min wait for the race to get going. It was good to experience that as I know the wait on race day will be longer again.

When we did get going and the first mile registered at 11:50 we had a chuckle about the idea of Mr Guappa's antenna going off telling him "someone's running faster than slow pace" before slowing down

I also learned that in the hype of it all one can forget to fuel. I was 10mins late taking a gel more than once. Not the end of the world when it's 10mins, but something I'd want to keep an eye on.

I experienced some discomfort with some of my race day clothing - was great to figure this out now rather than later.

We started off slow but steady. So many people passed us by and at one point I'm pretty certain we were fairly near the back of the pack. But we went from strength to strength and just kept reeling people in the whole time - it was a serious confidence booster

At the end of the race, myself and DBB gave each other a hug and a pat on the back.

We did it. The hard work is done. Now, we taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Well done to all on the long runs this weekend, here comes the taper!

Write off for me this weekend unfortunately. Had a bit of a tickly throat all week and was turning more into a cough later in the week. Mad day in work Friday, stressed and late leaving. Ended up being a late night too. Felt awful Saturday so decided to knock the long run back a day, thinking I was probably just a bit run down after the busy day and late night.

Felt even worse this morning. Thought about heading out anyway, but I know if I was advising someone else I’d have been saying don’t force it when the immune system is down it’ll just do more harm than good. Very annoyed having had so many good weeks to this stage.

Still thinking if I feel better tomorrow I might do the 18 in the evening, just laps around the block, then ease off for the rest off the week. Will see how I feel. Won’t be chasing miles if I don’t get it done tomorrow. Hoping I’ll be over this pretty quick, I know most of the work is done, but don’t want to fall off a cliff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Longwood 3/4 marathon done ! Started off well ,had to keep slowing down and watching pace. Found it quiet boring in places with all fields ! Lost three gels our of flip belt ! Dont ask me how, but sister gave me one and found one on ground ! Found last three miles torture everything was sore, but soldiered on. So happy to have ran 20 miles with very little stopping, maybe few mins in total at water stations. That has given me confidence for big day. Knees are fairly sore now ! Lovely to meet banana leaf and DBB I think ! Well done everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭py

Well done to everyone who ran Longwood, great to see all the activities popping up in the Strava feed. The medal from it looks great. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

WEEK 16 - TAPER TIME :)

The hay is in the barn :)! First off - huge congratulations on getting this far - there have been tough runs, great runs and everything in between. It's a massive commitment to train for a marathon, and you're through the hardest weeks - take a bow :)

It's very pleasing to see such positivity here and on strava following the many long runs and 3/4 marathons completed over the weekend. You can take great confidence from completing these distances on very fatigued legs. There's something to be learned from every long run, be it a success or failure, so be sure to note what went right/wrong on your LSR this weekend, and take the lesson into DCM.

And now we are into the taper. The next three weeks will maintain the same structure as before, but you will notice a gradual drop in miles from previous weeks. Now is not the time to be chucking in extra miles, or some faster stuff - stick to the plan! As this great post states, the number 1 priority now is allowing your body to recover so you will be in top shape on marathon day!

As you will see below, week one of the taper is still a fairly substantial week for both plans, as the gradual decrease in mileage begins. Boards followers will note that the Sunday recovery run becomes optional this week.
    Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    HHN1|rest|5m easy|8m easy|4m easy|rest|12m LSR|cross
    Boards|rest, cross or 3m rec|5m easy|5m easy|5m easy|rest, cross or 3m rec|14m LSR|rest, cross or 3m rec

Homework
    The taper also applies to homework - only one question this week!
    - What do you need to do over the next three weeks to be ready for the marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

What do you need to do over the next three weeks to be ready for the marathon?

- Hydrate, eat and sleep well. My iron count was very low, so need to keep up iron tablets
    - Continue physio exercises to stave off tendon issues
    - Plan for event (number collection, transport on the day, checklist for day, where the family will go to support)
    - Keep to the plan mileage and pace wise
    - Map out my planned pace and strategy for the big day and familarise myself with the route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

What do you need to do over the next three weeks to be ready for the marathon?

Sleep! Also I bought a new pair of runners (same size/make/model) as my usual and they’re just not the same. I’ve tried them on several runs and something’s not right so I’m planning to get yet another pair this week (and they say running is an inexpensive sport!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Doc76 wrote: »

Sleep! Also I bought a new pair of runners (same size/make/model) as my usual and they’re just not the same. I’ve tried them on several runs and something’s not right so I’m planning to get yet another pair this week (and they say running is an inexpensive sport!)

Make sure they’re the same version as well. Even if the runner is the same brand and model, the shoe can be changed quite a bit between models. ASICS changed the toebox in the shoe I favour a number of years ago and it made for a completely different shoe

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Complete the plan runs
    Hydrate and eat well
    Sleep
    Stretch
    Organize the morning of marathon and family
    See Physio
    And pray

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Soulsun wrote: »

Complete the plan runs
    Hydrate and eat well
    Sleep
    Stretch
    See Physio
    And pray

PRAY - Hahaha that made me laugh, think there'll be a few prayers said that morning:D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Soulsun wrote: »

Complete the plan runs
    Hydrate and eat well
    Sleep
    Stretch
    See Physio
    And pray

Other than seeing the physio I think you got all mine covered Soulsun - especially the praying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Morning all,

Very short Longwood 3/4 Marathon Report

I too was treating the Longwood run as a training run. Up early to get my pre-run breakfast which is toast and peanut butter. Made some coffee to go and headed off to the village of Longwood. We were there way too early and had again we were ready and had been to the loo, it was still a long time to be waiting around. I almost cried when I heard there was going to be a 10 minute delay. I was frozen and my hands were numb.

Anyway, we got going and I warmed up pretty fast, but I had to run with my sweater until the first water station which was so awkward. 5km in I was having such negative thoughts (OMG another 27km to go, I can't do this, I'm puling out of the marathon) and I even considered stopping and just pulling out. Especially when I seen a signpost for home. I pulled up my big girls pants and settled into it. I met a girl at 8km ish and we started talking. We ended up doing the rest of the run together, when she started to fade I would motivate her to keep going, getting to 25, then 28, then 30 and the rest. She was feeling really dizzy at the last water stop and I got a bottle of water and a hydration tab into her. Anyway, she did great and she messaged me on FB last night to thank me which was nice.

Had an epsom salt bath, made dinner, did my baking for the week. Happy out last night and i'm feeling grand today. Zero aches or pains, my legs feel fresh. I'm going to do some glute work tonight, my shoulders were pinging like crazy.

Overall I found the run fine, I was trying to take it handy, but felt very strong. My heart-rate goes up a lot, but I think it's adrenaline as I'm certainly not under pressure with my breathing. I wouldn't be a massive fan of the route, i find those roads pretty bleak at the best of times. I've my eye on the Dingle/Clonakilty runs next year, I like to be distracted by nice views and a breeze!

Stick with the plan and complete the scheduled runs.
    Get a new running vest.
    Try not to eat rings around myself. I'm feeling very fluffy and I need to cut back a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    - What do you need to do over the next three weeks to be ready for the marathon?
    Immediate - get to a physio, right knee felt sore after about 10 Km of the 18 miles. New runners, exact same Nike Pegasus 36 from the same shop but maybe there was more bounce, maybe I was going too fast (I was, because it was bucketing down) or it could be cumulative wear and tear. Pushed through but it wasn't right. Enough guessing, physio booked for 1:30 today (new office is next door, handy)
    Once that's sorted, I need to work on logistics (RDS to hotel, Hotel to start, family to Roebuck :), etc)
    The basics then, more sleep, better diet (I can't help it if I make a mean apple crumble but thankfully I've used up all the apples yesterday :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

jackc101 wrote: »
    Immediate - get to a physio, right knee felt sore after about 10 Km of the 18 miles. New runners, exact same Nike Pegasus 36 from the same shop but maybe there was more bounce, maybe I was going too fast (I was, because it was bucketing down) or it could be cumulative wear and tear. Pushed through but it wasn't right. Enough guessing, physio booked for 1:30 today (new office is next door, handy)
    Once that's sorted, I need to work on logistics (RDS to hotel, Hotel to start, family to Roebuck :), etc)
    The basics then, more sleep, better diet (I can't help it if I make a mean apple crumble but thankfully I've used up all the apples yesterday :D)

You know you now need to add to your list to make an apple crumble for McGrattans!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

Great work at the 3/4 people!!
    cant believe DCM is only 3 weeks away now!!

Quick Week 15 review:
    Wednesday 11.5km Farlek session with warm up & cool down included.
    Thursday 10km easy 6.45/km avg pace (ran on treadmill so easy keep the avg pace)
    Friday 14km 6.31/km pace average - A progression pace run!
    Sunday 28km (overall worked out at 1.5hrs easy and 1.5hrs@ 6.15pace, ran in 20,30,40min blocks)

Get more Sleep
    more Stretching & Foam Roll on off days
    plan in massage/Physio session
    Plan food/meals out each week (avoid too much needless snacking)
    Keep Hydrated consistently
    sort out viewing points with the family for race day

eabha19 wrote: »
    Other than seeing the physio I think you got all mine covered Soulsun - especially the praying!!

There's no need for the praying... ye've got this! Maybe a prayer that the weather will play ball I suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

There's no need for the praying... ye've got this! Maybe a prayer that the weather will play ball I suppose....

Different people will want different weather.

For me the colder the better, no wind with maybe a little rain after a couple of hours.
    Others would be horrified by that I'm sure!!

frash wrote: »
    Different people will want different weather.

More me the colder the better, no wind with maybe a little rain after a couple of hours.
    Others would be horrified by that I'm sure!!

I'd take that! As long as it's nothing too extreme I'll be happy. Anyway, it's uncontrollable - won't stop us worrying about it though! All we can do is be prepared for all conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

Quick Week 15 review:
    Tuesday 9k and 5.57 km pace
    Weds 21.8k at 5:47 km pace
    Thurs 5.3k at 5:30 pace
    Sat 3k Treadmill at 5.52 pace
    Sunday 32.3 k at 5:46km pace (Ran the route this time starting at mile 2 marker and finishing at top of HeartBreak Hill). Only started to tire about the 30k mark. Delighted with the progress this week but also exhausted today. Feeling pretty confident now about the whole thing.

Physio session tomorrow to iron out any remaining niggles (of which I'm not aware currently)
    Concentrate on Sleep and Nutrition
    Get all my taper runs in and slow pace down again (I know I can run them faster now but no need in training)
    Treat my weekend runs as if they are the big day
    Start planning my post marathon meal ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

First, get over this dose. Feeling a good bit better today, so depending how I feel later might attempt a long run.

Keep an eye on the diet. Will be easy to pile on pounds as the mileage drops. Last weeks big loss was a bit of an anomaly, most of it back this week.

Keep the easy stuff easy, don’t get carried away as the legs get fresher. Haven’t run since Thursday and legs fee amazing today, would be easy to go out and fly around a short run.

Generally just make sure I have everything planned. The busy week last week threw me way off. Forgot to stock up on gels, forgot to charge my watch, loads of things that need to be right on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭py

• Shake off this head cold that one of the kids has given to me :mad:
    • Increase my epsom salt baths from 1 to 2/3 per week
    • Get more stretching and foam rolling in for injury prevention
    • Maintain good eating habits
    • Plan my race day - breakfast, logistics of getting to the city centre, where to meet family along the route, post DCM meal/drink, McGrattans (I'm a maybe for this)
    • Plan my race strategy - fuel, hydration, pacing, clothes, anti chaff and anything else I can think of. I'm fairly sure of what I'm doing for all of this except for pacing, I just need to get it all down in a document so I have a checklist for the actual day
    • Physio - already booked in 7 days ahead of DCM and a few days after it, hopefully won't need any more than this but they're on standby :D
    • Fuelling and hydration for the week prior to DCM to be as clean and consistent as possible
    • Reduce my cycling the week of the DCM and use public transport ... I hate public transport :mad:
    • Continue to run the HHN1 plan as I have been doing, making sure I've got my routes pre planned so I'm not looking for excuses prior to getting out there. I've maintained a 100% record of getting the runs done thus far and I'd like to have that in tact when week 18 is complete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

jackc101 wrote: »
    Immediate - get to a physio, right knee felt sore after about 10 Km of the 18 miles. New runners, exact same Nike Pegasus 36 from the same shop but maybe there was more bounce, maybe I was going too fast (I was, because it was bucketing down) or it could be cumulative wear and tear. Pushed through but it wasn't right.

These are the exact same runners I’m having an issue with! I had Pegasus 35 which I love but my new ones are Pegasus 36 and they aren’t the same at all. I’ve noticed foot pain only after running in these ones not the others.

And Huzzah! Thanks for the feedback... yep they are a different version of the same model just like you said.... I’m off the running shop in Rathgar this week for something else :)

Advertisement