Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Doc76 wrote: »
    These are the exact same runners I’m having an issue with! I had Pegasus 35 which I love but my new ones are Pegasus 36 and they aren’t the same at all. I’ve noticed foot pain only after running in these ones not the others.

And Huzzah! Thanks for the feedback... yep they are a different version of the same model just like you said.... I’m off the running shop in Rathgar this week for something else :)

I just started running in these with just over 100Km done thus far including my 32Km LSR on Saturday and I've been happy so far. So happy I ordered another pair as they're going cheap here. There was definitely some changes from the 35 (I didn't own them) to the 36, so might be worth reading up on that to see what could be affecting both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

jackc101 wrote: »
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    - What do you need to do over the next three weeks to be ready for the marathon?
    Immediate - get to a physio, right knee felt sore after about 10 Km of the 18 miles. New runners, exact same Nike Pegasus 36 from the same shop but maybe there was more bounce, maybe I was going too fast (I was, because it was bucketing down) or it could be cumulative wear and tear. Pushed through but it wasn't right. Enough guessing, physio booked for 1:30 today (new office is next door, handy)
    Once that's sorted, I need to work on logistics (RDS to hotel, Hotel to start, family to Roebuck :), etc)
    The basics then, more sleep, better diet (I can't help it if I make a mean apple crumble but thankfully I've used up all the apples yesterday :D)

Apple crumble would make a nice intro in McGrattan’s...

Let us know how you get on with the physio, please.

Milltown at around the 20mile point might be a good spot for your supporters. It’s not quite at Roebuck but it’s on the Luas, so handy to get to and handy to get back into town after too.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Apple crumble would make a nice intro in McGrattan’s...

Let us know how you get on with the physio, please.

Milltown at around the 20mile point might be a good spot for your supporters. It’s not quite at Roebuck but it’s on the Luas, so handy to get to and handy to get back into town after too.

I think I'll Luas in and out to the start/finish and the gang will base themselves at a family friends house off Roebuck and meet back in the hotel after. Working out all that stuff as we speak. As for the crumble, we'll see how the physio goes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

Doc76 wrote: »
    These are the exact same runners I’m having an issue with! I had Pegasus 35 which I love but my new ones are Pegasus 36 and they aren’t the same at all. I’ve noticed foot pain only after running in these ones not the others.

And Huzzah! Thanks for the feedback... yep they are a different version of the same model just like you said.... I’m off the running shop in Rathgar this week for something else :)

I ordered a new pair of runners last night too. I wasn't planning on it but my left foot was sore after the race yesterday. I had the same soreness after the half marathon wearing the same racing runners. Hopefully the new ones will come soon and I can get them broken in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Rega wrote: »
    I ordered a new pair of runners last night too. I wasn't planning on it but my left foot was sore after the race yesterday. I had the same soreness after the half marathon wearing the same racing runners. Hopefully the new ones will come soon and I can get them broken in.

If they are the same make and model then one long-ish run and a few more shorter ones should be plenty miles to have them broken in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

I keep thinking about the last 6 miles and how am I going to do it. The last three miles of the 20 mile on Saturday I found tough. I seems to be okay until I get to 15 miles and then everything seems to slow done.

1. I have to convince myself I can do it. I am quite tough mentally, so I am hoping that and the crowd will get me through it.
    2. Clean living for the next three weeks, no snacking, healthy eating and most importantly good hydration
    3. Foam rolling and stretches
    4 . All the running has been getting me to bed early, hopefully taper and nerves wont affect this.
    5. Have sorted out my transport, so one less thing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Physio happy with how things are, he gave me a couple of stretches & warm up exercises. Not targeting the IT band, hip & glutes enough in my stretches. Told me to try the 5 miles easy tomorrow and skip Wednesday. Otherwise follow the schedule if there's no pain / discomfort :)

I suppose this means I'm making an apple crumble for McGrattans :D
    How big are the bags for the bag drop and how fecking odd would it be to leave a crumble in one :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

What do you need to do over the next three weeks to be ready for the marathon?

# Work on my MP pacing. I possibly keep the pace too steady at the moment instead of varying the pace depending on the effort levels (due to wind, hills, etc.).
    # Fueling. This still needs work, particularly the day before the race.
    # Hydration. I really don't drink enough water when I'm out running. For long runs, one ~300ml bottle has been more than enough. Aqua gels help in this regard, but only slightly.
    # Stretching and foam rolling. The importance of these two can never be underestimated IMO. I'm terrible at foam rolling and stretching has been hit and miss of late. Hopefully with extra time I have during taper, I'll be able to improve these two.

Wombled wrote: »
    I keep thinking about the last 6 miles and how am I going to do it. The last three miles of the 20 mile on Saturday I found tough. I seems to be okay until I get to 15 miles and then everything seems to slow done.

With a good taper and a restrained start to the race itself, the last 6 miles will be a cruise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Wombled wrote: »

With a good taper and a restrained start to the race itself, the last 6 miles will be a cruise :)

Thank you Mr Guappa,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

How big are the bags for the bag drop and how fecking odd would it be to leave a crumble in one :D:D:D

I don't think an Apple Crumble would work in McGrattans.

a) it's a very busy pub after the marathon!
    b) they sell food so may not like people bringing their own in.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Nearly there everyone...!!

Decide on fueling/hydration strategy during the run. I've had a hap hazard approach to gels/jellies so far. I need to do a bit more research on timings with them.
    Going to drive the course with Ais so we have an idea of what's ahead of us.
    Figure out the pace I want to be going... Is there a Goldilocks formula? Not too fast, not too slow... Just right. Haha!

Went out for my 20 miler on Saturday in that shocking weather and it was brilliant for boosting my confidence. Previous longest run was 14 Miles so it was a bit of a jump and it was grand. Not too bothered about the weather on the day. One less thing to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

- More foam rolling/ strengthening exercises
    - Lot's of sleep
    - Good diet
    - Get my Garmin 235 set up - if anyone has any tips for this plz let me know... I can't figure it out at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

- Lot's of sleep
    - Good diet
    - Get my Garmin 235 set up - if anyone has any tips for this plz let me know... I can't figure it out at all!

Did you download the manual on line? I only got the 230 recently & had to download it to figure it out!

Hey folks, could someone please explain the advantage of pace bands? Coming from cycling events, I would've been more concerned when the inclines are going to occur on the route. From what I can see, a pace band doesn't factor in adjusting your pace for inclines, unless I'm completely missing that aspect of it.

py wrote: »
    Hey folks, could someone please explain the advantage of pace bands? Coming from cycling events, I would've been more concerned when the inclines are going to occur on the route. From what I can see, a pace band doesn't factor in adjusting your pace for inclines, unless I'm completely missing that aspect of it.

A course specific pace band, like the one here takes into consideration the profile of the course. Just fill in your goal time, and conservative (or very conservative) start, you don't have to buy the thing.

I tried a pace and last year but I'm not going to bother this year... I just found it a bit disheartening when I was failing to meet the required splits - more my own fault of course for being too ambitious with my target. Plenty of others have had great success with them.

- Lot's of sleep
    - Good diet

What exactly are you looking to set up on the watch?
    Using it for a run should be pretty straight forward?
    Are you looking to sync Garmin connect with strava?

py wrote: »
    • Shake off this head cold that one of the kids has given to me :mad:
    • Increase my epsom salt baths from 1 to 2/3 per week
    • Get more stretching and foam rolling in for injury prevention
    • Maintain good eating habits
    • Plan my race day - breakfast, logistics of getting to the city centre, where to meet family along the route, post DCM meal/drink, McGrattans (I'm a maybe for this)
    • Plan my race strategy - fuel, hydration, pacing, clothes, anti chaff and anything else I can think of. I'm fairly sure of what I'm doing for all of this except for pacing, I just need to get it all down in a document so I have a checklist for the actual day
    • Physio - already booked in 7 days ahead of DCM and a few days after it, hopefully won't need any more than this but they're on standby :D
    • Fuelling and hydration for the week prior to DCM to be as clean and consistent as possible
    • Reduce my cycling the week of the DCM and use public transport ... I hate public transport :mad:
    • Continue to run the HHN1 plan as I have been doing, making sure I've got my routes pre planned so I'm not looking for excuses prior to getting out there. I've maintained a 100% record of getting the runs done thus far and I'd like to have that in tact when week 18 is complete.

Cutting down the cycling is a good plan as DCM draws nearer. Same goes for all those doing other activities, at the gym, or wherever. Conserving energy and topping up those glycogen stores is the focus at this point. Similarly, for anyone contemplating a new activity - now is not the time to try your hand at MMA.

On the epsom salts bath: Like yourself, I'd have one every week or so. As far as I know, there is no science to suggest that they have much of an effect. If one a week has worked for you to this point, then I don't see why you'd increase the frequency now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Good interview with Jim Aughney on this week's Runner Beans Podcast....touches on one or two things re. DCM I haven't heard him talk about before.

https://runnerbeanspodcast.podbean.com/

One practical takeaway from the interview that might affect folk in this forum is that the Lucozade Sport will be in cups not bottles this year. Not sure if this has been flagged or announced already, but could throw one or two if they had been expecting bottles like in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

- What do you need to do over the next three weeks to be ready for the marathon?

* Stay well and injury free.
    * keep to the plan, the next two weeks are very busy and it is going to be tricky fitting the runs in.
    * Sleep, I am so tired, I cant sleep the night before my long runs, and for the last three weeks I haven't been able to sleep the night of my long run, I don't know if its adrenalin post run, or what it is but I would really like to go to bed and sleep straight through.

• Advertisement

- Decide exactly how many gels to bring & when to take them

- trust my training & progress so far

- make a list of everything i will need on the day

- sort my transport into the Marathon

- keep up the positivity as much as possible

And finally stay well away from animals ;):D

Cutting down the cycling is a good plan as DCM draws nearer. Same goes for all those doing other activities, at the gym, or wherever. Conserving energy and topping up those glycogen stores is the focus at this point. Similarly, for anyone contemplating a new activity - now is not the time to try your hand at MMA.

I've Yoga every Friday. Should I drop this on the Friday prior to DCM?
    On the epsom salts bath: Like yourself, I'd have one every week or so. As far as I know, there is no science to suggest that they have much of an effect. If one a week has worked for you to this point, then I don't see why you'd increase the frequency now?

I'd 2 the week of DCHM and found it helped with relaxation. Not necessarily anything physical/muscular, just relaxation in general as I get to shut out everything else out during that 30 minute period.
    A course specific pace band, like the one here takes into consideration the profile of the course. Just fill in your goal time, and conservative (or very conservative) start, you don't have to buy the thing.

I tried a pace and last year but I'm not going to bother this year... I just found it a bit disheartening when I was failing to meet the required splits - more my own fault of course for being too ambitious with my target. Plenty of others have had great success with them.

Thanks for that. I think I'll give it a miss too as I don't want to add any unneeded pressure on the day in case I miss a few splits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

healy1835 wrote: »
    One practical takeaway from the interview that might affect folk in this forum is that the Lucozade Sport will be in cups not bottles this year. Not sure if this has been flagged or announced already, but could throw one or two if they had been expecting bottles like in previous years.

It was in cups last year. Maybe the year before too? The 500ml bottles were too big for most runners and resulted in a lot of waste, according to their twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Singer wrote: »
    It was in cups last year. Maybe the year before too? The 500ml bottles were too big for most runners and resulted in a lot of waste, according to their twitter.

I think they might have actually been more like 750ml! Totally unnecessary, they were heavy things, I dare say anyone that grabbed a bottle took a couple of sips and had to chuck them away because you couldn't carry them. A massive amount of waste.

That said I think the cups aren't great, and you'll end up spilling at least half the cup over your hands, so then you're left with that issue for the duration.

I dare say for most people the most sensible strategy would be to drink the small bottles of water and take the gels when available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Singer wrote: »

I've still to pop my Lucozade sport cherry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

I ran Connemara earlier this year and they were giving out the large bottles. There was enormous amounts of waste. However it was very windy so I could see why cups were not an option. Funny story actually my brother was running Connemara in 2014 and they were handing out Gatorade (clear version or some equivalent) in plastic cups at the 4th station. He though it was water and chucked it over his head to cool down. 1 mile later and he was literally covered in flies stuck to his face trying to lick his hands and wipe them off. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

22 mile run done in terrible conditions on Saturday.
    My legs were tired afterwards but the recovery was quick.
    Looking forward to a "short" 12 mile run at the weekend!!!

The plan for the next few weeks is as follows;
    Enjoy the shorter runs and say goodbye to parts of East Clare (Parteen and Ardnacrusha) that I hope I will not be running in for a good while.
    Get a sports massage about 10 days before the marathon
    Plan where family and friends see me, is it possible for them to make it from mile 12 to Miltown if i am running at about 9:20 per mile pace.
    Foam roll and stretch every day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Watch my diet, I have a sweet tooth and been getting away with reaching for that biscuit tin due to volume of miles I have been doing. Need to replace with fruit and padlock that press.

Pick up a few more gels, just realised this morning, ill be very tight although this weekend's 14 miles will be last time I think I need them until big day

Figure out when and how I can get to expo

Decide if that first pint post race will be a pint bottle of cider or a stout. Maybe I'll sample both just to be sure ��

Watch my diet, I have a sweet tooth and been getting away with reaching for that biscuit tin due to volume of miles I have been doing. Need to replace with fruit and padlock that press.

Pick up a few more gels, just realised this morning, ill be very tight although this weekend's 14 miles will be last time I think I need them until big day

Figure out when and how I can get to expo

Decide if that first pint post race will be a pint bottle of cider or a stout. Maybe I'll sample both just to be sure ��

Hmmm you got me at pint bottle of cider with lots of ice :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Physio happy with how things are, he gave me a couple of stretches & warm up exercises. Not targeting the IT band, hip & glutes enough in my stretches. Told me to try the 5 miles easy tomorrow and skip Wednesday. Otherwise follow the schedule if there's no pain / discomfort :)

Delighted the trip to the physio went well.

I was definitely kidding about the apple crumble! Getting yourself to the start line is all that's required :D

Advertisement