Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

ReeReeG wrote: »
    A few late posts... SLEEP PEOPLE!! :D

Honestly though, try to make sure you're getting 7-8 hours sleep from now until marathon day (if possible, I hear if you have small kids that is a little more difficult!). You probably won't sleep all that well the night before DCM, so one thing you canbank is some sleep.

So I guess working two 24 hour shifts in the last 10 days before DCM is bad then... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/long.html

Long range weather forecast has reached the 27th!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

That forecast looks promising in fairness.

Lads I'm getting total taper madness.....I'm staying in one of the hotels in Ballsbridge....fairly certain I stayed there before for 2008 marathon but can't remember if I walked into town or got a taxi :confused:

And not sure what the best option is now tbh...is 20 mins walking advisable before the marathon as a quasi-warm-up? or should I just hop in a taxi altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Cartman78 wrote: »
    That forecast looks promising in fairness.

Lads I'm getting total taper madness.....I'm staying in one of the hotels in Ballsbridge....fairly certain I stayed there before for 2008 marathon but can't remember if I walked into town or got a taxi :confused:

And not sure what the best option is now tbh...is 20 mins walking advisable before the marathon as a quasi-warm-up? or should I just hop in a taxi altogether?

Personally I would defo walk at a casual pace from there. Nice and relaxing and get in at your own time and pace

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Personally I would defo walk at a casual pace from there. Nice and relaxing and get in at your own time and pace

Cheers - I'm about 83% sure that's what I did the last time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

You can foam roll, strech, get a rub out, etc but the most valuable recovery tool is sleep. Don't underestimate the value of quality 8 hours sleep. It's not always possible but you should always try. Also just on injuries, don't stress it. I've been there a few times getting injured in the last few weeks before a marathon and had to rule myself out. But I think it made me a better runner in the long term. Good luck everyone, enjoy the taper madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

pc11 wrote: »
    So I guess working two 24 hour shifts in the last 10 days before DCM is bad then... :eek:

Yoink! Sounds unavoidable for you though I'm guessing, so maybe prioritize sleep on the days you're NOT working those hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Haven't posted since my incident at the Half Marathon.

Still following the plans but not as strictly as I wasn't enjoying my running after the HM.

Just wanted to focus on enjoying it (after all that's why I'm doing this).

I had initially started the training with a goal of a sub 4 marathon.

Following a busy summer I realised sub 4 was probably unrealistic but said I'd set a goal closer to the time.

Completed last years DCM in 4:47:xx on a lot less training setting my optimistic goal for this at 4:20 with my backup goal to get in under last year's time.

I don't post often in the thread but read it every day. It's an invaluable resource.

Best of luck all!

Most important thing is to try enjoy the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Dante

I've come down with a really bad cold the last couple of days which has messed up my plans.

What is the best way to manage this going into the last week? Skip my planned runs and rest or try power on through?

I've already missed 2 runs now and am started to get slightly worried...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I'd reckon your selling yourself a little short at that. But I do know your main priority is getting around and enjoying the day. Even so, you could start with the 4:30 pacers and still comfortably enjoy the race.

Thanks for the motivation! Maybe I will start things off with the 4:30 and go from there so :)

• Advertisement

I've come down with a really bad cold the last couple of days which has messed up my plans.

What is the best way to manage this going into the last week? Skip my planned runs and rest or try power on through?

I'd personally go with the rest up option. You don't want to run the risk of low energy on the morning of DCM and resting is the best way to avoid that right now when you've a bad cold. Hopefully you'll be over the worst of it by the end of the weekend, and can stretch the legs on Monday - but don't go chasing any lost miles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

Rest and more rest to allow your body to fight the bugs. Lots of fluids and Vit C. Go to your Doctor ASAP to rule out an infection. If it is not a chest infection you should be good. I have missed all runs this week in an effort to recover. Have to believe we have good foundations.
    Fingers and toes crossed for all with bugs and injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Physio appointment went well. He's not too concerned. He went at the affected area with needles and massage, and told me to put the runners on and get out running as per the plan.

I'm a little sore/tender after the massage so might leave the run until tomorrow morning. I'll see how the leg is later this evening. Fingers crossed, one day at a time!

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    Physio appointment went well. He's not too concerned. He went at the affected area with needles and massage, and told me to put the runners on and get out running as per the plan.

I'm a little sore/tender after the massage so might leave the run until tomorrow morning. I'll see how the leg is later this evening. Fingers crossed, one day at a time!

Yeah, I'd wait a while after any needles. Got needled myself yesterday (really sounds like a euphemism :pac: ) and was way too tender to attempt a run! Make sure you drink plenty of water after all that too, your muscles will need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Sorbet wrote: »
    Got to the physio today. No running for a week but she assured me that the aerobic fitness is there and won't go..... On a diet of Nurofen, icing and exercises for the next week. I'm feeling pretty confident but glad I have a plan. Physio didn't commit but says 9 days is actually a lot of healing time. Cross your fingers for me. Good reminder not to worry about time - just want to start and finish now:)

Great stuff. Will have my fingers crossed.

I know you didn't mention it but because I'm a worrier, it's not recommended to take Ibuprofen or any NSAID on the day itself.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Run the Line is very close to DCM :eek: Don’t put any pressure on yourselves to run it and I definitely wouldn’t consider racing it.

I’ve said it before but I do recommend a full two weeks off running after DCM, with easy/recovery runs only for the the two weeks after that.
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I strongly second this advice. No hard days for every mile raced - i.e. 26 miles raced means no hard runs for 26 days. Your body will need the break.

It's an old article that I've read before, but it popped into my inbox this morning and is well worth a read:

https://lukehumphreyrunning.com/post-marathon-recovery-why-so-long/

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd wait a while after any needles. Got needled myself yesterday (really sounds like a euphemism :pac: ) and was way too tender to attempt a run! Make sure you drink plenty of water after all that too, your muscles will need it.

Water, water and more water.

Physio went at my calves with the dreaded needles on Wednesday evening and I'm still trying to decide whether I'll be able for a few miles @ easy pace this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Sorbet

DolG wrote: »
    Rest and more rest to allow your body to fight the bugs. Lots of fluids and Vit C. Go to your Doctor ASAP to rule out an infection. If it is not a chest infection you should be good. I have missed all runs this week in an effort to recover. Have to believe we have good foundations.
    Fingers and toes crossed for all with bugs and injuries.

I have someone I know on a trip to Rome lighting a candle for all of us out with injury this weekend......how Irish am I:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Sorbet

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Great stuff. Will have my fingers crossed.

I know you didn't mention it but because I'm a worrier, it's not recommended to take Ibuprofen or any NSAID on the day itself.

Thanks Huzzah - I actually had wondered whether I should or shouldn't. Good to know. Out of interest what's the thinking behind that?

Sorbet wrote: »
    Thanks Huzzah - I actually had wondered whether I should or shouldn't. Good to know. Out of interest what's the thinking behind that?

I don't want to veer into giving medical advice but I've read it can be harmful. Here's an article that discusses it:

https://www.verywellfit.com/should-i-take-pain-meds-before-or-during-a-marathon-3435713

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Charliebull

what’s the Rules in relation to taking the kids across the finish line with you, can we do that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

what’s the Rules in relation to taking the kids across the finish line with you, can we do that
    If everyone done it would be chaos in such a big race.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That’s a strict No, there’s 22500 doing the race. There no way they can let non runners into the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

If this came true, it would be the perfect weather for marathon day. Pity it’s too far out to be a realistic forecast 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Is this a serious question? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

py wrote: »
    Is this a serious question? :confused:

Probably. Amazing the unawareness of people who run straight across the road to their family or have the kids run across to them and then spread out holding hands running into the finish line for a nice photo with total disregard for their fellow runners who might be trying to sprint for a PB. I nearly fell over a kid in Cork City Marathon the year before last running across to their father. Just what you want after running 26.2 miles :mad::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Probably. Amazing the unawareness of people who run straight across the road to their family or have the kids run across to them and then spread out holding hands running into the finish line for a nice photo with total disregard for their fellow runners who might be trying to sprint for a PB. I nearly fell over a kid in Cork City Marathon the year before last running across to their father. Just what you want after running 26.2 miles :mad::confused:

I have lots of awareness thank you, it’s a serious question, I know a lad who ran a 3-09 marathon and crossed the line with his kids, he said crossing the line with them was better than any time,
    And if the rules allow I will do it, if it’s a problem and banned then I won’t, your pb is your right to follow but if I want to experience it with my kids I will too
    It was a simple question and only required a simple answer
    Not a lecture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Still waiting for these "fresh legs" despite missing a run midweek and doing some runs shorter than in the plan.

Did 6 instead of 8 this morning.

Hopefully they freshen up this week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

To be fair, this is a novices thread. So, by definition, not everyone is going to be as up to speed (pardon the pun) on how these things work. I'd hope that any question in relation to DCM is fair game from a novice.
    Charliebull, the DCM rules are clear on this, I'm afraid. Runners who run with non-entrants along the course or across the line run the risk of disqualification.
    From my own experience of having done oodles of Women's Mini Marathons over the years, try to make sure your family stick to a pre-decided side of the road, so that you just have to scan the one side of the throngs for their faces... this bit, for me, is lump-in-your-throat time, as you see the moment of recognition in their faces before the yelling and screams of encouragement kick in :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Official course video just appeared.

Advertisement