Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Are you ready?

I hope so. I keep drifting from full of confidence and no doubt I’ll be full of running and pushing on after 22 miles to thinking I’ll end up in a heap and dragging myself to the finish or dnf.

I know I’ve had a solid block of training, effectively a year of consistent running. I’ve run 3 half’s and all have gone to plan, but set backs at 10k and 10 mile.

The marathon plan is sensible, the target should be attainable but it will need everything to click on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Singer wrote: »
    Today is “Manicure Monday”!

It doesn’t really matter if you get it done today or tomorrow, as long as it’s not done close to the marathon itself.

I was desperately trying to think of an alliterative term for this and couldn't, nice job. And I suspect I've had more manicures than you... could be wrong of course :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Are you ready?

I feel ready.

I started of at beginning of July with no plan whatsoever and no idea what to do, just that I was doing it. I then fell upon this thread and saw the plan and suddenly had something I could work too. I started of running too fast but had no idea until I got some tips from current mentors and previous ones. It improved me immensely and then went out and did PB's in 10k and half. Got more sucked in to thread and eventually joined strava. I'm delighted how its gone so far, so just one more hurdle to clear. Bring it on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Am I ready? Ready as I’ll ever be so might as well get on with it :) I’m actually really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Singer wrote:
    Today is “Manicure Mondayâ€!

Pedicure no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Am I ready?

In theory, yes.
    I've done all the runs on the HHN1 (apart from last week when I had to skip a mid-week run).

In reality, I don't feel ready.
    My "fresh legs" haven't kicked in yet. I've got a bit of tightness in one of my calves which I'm told was caused by tight hip muscles but I've been doing all the stretches & it's still there.

Will have a couple of Epsom salt baths (even though there's no science behind them) this week and hopefully feel better by the end of the week.

Latest forecast for Sunday morning is for it to be cold which I'm delighted about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Pedicure no?

That is not sufficiently alliterative :D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

anyone look for good value parking. Drury Street, special 8 euro for race day. Parked there last year too, very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Dublin marathon advice with race director Jim Aughney in 2018

I happened across this excellent list of advice, pretty much identical to everything you've been getting on this thread but definitely worth a read (and not just for novices!)

https://www.corkathletics.org/Articles/Marathon-Advice-On-The-Day.html

It also features this sentence which made me actually laugh out loud in real life:
    Sweet Jesus don't "start fast" due to the adrenaline of the race, as you'll regret it around mile 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Morning all,

I think i'm overdosing on articles, hints and tips on the internet and magazines. That said, i enjoyed the article you just posted @Singer.

Am I ready? Gosh I don't know. I know I want this week to fly and just get going now. I too stumbled upon this thread some months ago from a google search, having signed up for the marathon and doing bits of running here and there. Now, at T-6 I have over 456.28 accountable miles clocked up. And only because of my fellow novices and our fab mentors. Only for you all, I would be screwed!! I will never forget the support provided over the past number of months.

I'm a bit nervous at the pacing strategies, as I don't have one. I have a target time and i'm hoping to have an average pace for the first half and then see if i can pick it up a touch. Is that enough, or do I need to have a specific pace for each section?

I'm also feeling awful nervous since last night and this morning too and i'm struggling to eat. I need to ease up on the coffee and try to get some nutrition into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Doc76 wrote: »
    Something I was thinking about on my run today and was hoping some Dublin marathon veterans out there could chime in... the last time I did a marathon many many moons ago the support of spectators really made a difference especially later on in the race... wondering now that I will be out there for 5 hours or so what’s the support like for slower runners? Are the crowds still around or will it be thinning out/waning by then? Just want to be prepared if there’s deafening silence especially in the last hour or so!!

You will get support the whole way around right to the line the crowd are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭akenno

py wrote: »
    I think so :)

Week is lined up as follows:
    Monday - Sports massage
    Tuesday - Cut toenails
    Wednesday - Finalise post race contents of backpack to be dropped off at bag area and also my hydration pack (excluding liquid of course :))
    Thursday - Final DCM 2019 training run :( but also :cool:
    Friday - DCM Expo at lunch time
    Saturday - try not to lose my mind and get some sleep
    Sunday - Run this town... and pending other stuff, hit McGrattans for a beverage.

I think I've nailed down a race plan but if it's too complicated/optimistic then I'm just going to stick the 4:00 pacers. As a 4:00 time equates to 5:41min/Km, I've done a +/- total at the end of each line as to how I should be at the stage of my plan. Thoughts/comments on it are welcome:
    • 5:50min/Km up until Castleknock (end of 11Km) +99sec
    • 5:30min/Km until re-entry to Phoenix Park (12-13Km) +77sec
    • Ease up on re-entry to Phoenix Park
    • 5:30min/Km up until St Laurence’s drag/hill +44sec
    • 6:00min/Km for St. Laurence’s drag/hill (end of 17) +63sec
    • 5:30min/Km until Coombe +30sec
    • 5:50min/Km until Crumlin Hospital +48sec
    • 5:30min/Km until Clonskeagh/Ashtons -62sec
    • 6:00min/Km until Heartbreak hill -5sec
    • Last 6Km… TBD/Try hang in there for Sub-4

Lastly, big thank you Mr. Guappa/ReeReeG/Huzzah. Your guidance, knowledge and patience is what has made the novices training program so enjoyable for me. Also, the flapjacks, they played a huge part. :pac:

That looks like a good plan, are you in Wave 2 or 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

In many of the major marathons there will be a line on the ground that measures the exact race distance. Follow the course line wherever possible to ensure you are taking the most direct route to the finish line! If it's very windy out there, tuck in close behind a group of runners, so that they act as a windshield for you!
    source: https://www.corkathletics.org/Articles/Marathon-Advice-On-The-Day.html

my question: is there a line on the ground in Dublin? last year I ended up running around 43.5km from being inefficient in this regard. I should in theory be able to reduce time by 1km roughly if I can correct this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

my question: is there a line on the ground in Dublin? last year I ended up running around 43.5km from being inefficient in this regard. I should in theory be able to reduce time by 1km roughly if I can correct this

There is no line in Dublin as far as I know. I ran 26.51 miles in 2017 and 26.48 I think it was last year. I just reread my report from last year. My watch was off before we hit the first marker, was off by .25 of a mile by mile 2 and .3 by mile 3. It stayed at that for the rest of the run. I presume GPS is slightly messed up in the city centre and you also have things like the right turn onto Leeson street which unless you are on the far right you can’t avoid adding extra steps on with the crowds.

Main thing is to hold your horses for the first while and not be adding to it by weaving round people I think.

There is no race line at Dublin, you need to manage this yourself.

This is easier said than done, especially when running with a group. The natural tendency of people running into a group is to optimise for not bumping into each other and NOT running the race line. Don't do this. Use your eyes to look up and look at the next turn, and run the shortest path to the turn. If this means slowing down behind somebody for a short time then do that. It's better than running further or sprinting ahead of somebody.

This is worth reading:
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/03/racing-line-understanding-how-courses.html

And this is worth watching (it's also highly motivational):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llfcZUyTJGA

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Doc76 wrote: »
    Something I was thinking about on my run today and was hoping some Dublin marathon veterans out there could chime in... the last time I did a marathon many many moons ago the support of spectators really made a difference especially later on in the race... wondering now that I will be out there for 5 hours or so what’s the support like for slower runners? Are the crowds still around or will it be thinning out/waning by then? Just want to be prepared if there’s deafening silence especially in the last hour or so!!

I ran my first and only marathon in Dublin last year. I finished in 5 hours 45 minutes and the support on the route for the last few kilometres was great. It really helped me get over the line, people clapping and shouting my name and words of encouragement was amazing and very emotional. Don't worry, the support of the spectators will definitely be there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

This jumped out at me from the article;
    Try to stay present in your running. If you drift off into a reverie, or get too caught up in the carnival atmosphere, you may forget to hydrate properly and may not notice your pace quickening (or less likely, slowing down) until you suddenly reach the halfway point in a time that's way off target. Staying focused means you can do something about it if you do make a mistake, whereas getting so carried away that you don't even notice you've made a mistake is hard to rectify.

It’s something that happened in my previous attempt. I remember feeling amazing after Walkinstown and I was really familiar with the stretch from there to Milltown. I completely lost focus, enjoying the crowd, high giving kids etc. and forgot to take gels etc during this stage. Paid for it big time from Milltown to the end (I’d have struggled either way but definitely didn’t help myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Am I ready? I think so.

No injuries to report although I'm overthinking every little twitch at the moment. And the legs don't feel as fresh as I expected but I'm assuming post massage tomorrow and a few little runs I'll be good to go.

Sub 4 is the target, and having done the route in various long runs in full, I know where I might lose a few seconds and gain them. Trying not to have a per km guide but rather I'll focus on staying on track every 4 to 5km and going from there.

This thread has been invaluable to me, as a solo runner. It has made it feel like it was done as part of a club so thank you for that. I do think that's the one aspect of what I would change if I continue to do other marathons, join a club or do long runs with a group. It's been as much a mental slog as a physical one trying to motivate yourself to go out for 3.5 hours on your own!

Need to nail down the meal plan for Thursday through to Sunday and pray for no stomach trouble.. But other than that I'm good to go :cool:

Good luck everyone with all the preparation and thanks again to the mentors who have been incredibly generous with both their time and experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

There is no race line at Dublin, you need to manage this yourself.

And this is worth watching (it's also highly motivational):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llfcZUyTJGA

Wow, that's a great video!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I happened across this excellent list of advice, pretty much identical to everything you've been getting on this thread but definitely worth a read (and not just for novices!)

https://www.corkathletics.org/Articles/Marathon-Advice-On-The-Day.html

It also features this sentence which made me actually laugh out loud in real life:

I laughed out loud at a few bits :D I also winced at a few bits. "Protein burns dirty", huh? That's my steak on Saturday evening reduced in size anyway :o
    Thanks Singer, that's a great article.

Am I ready?
    I think I'm as ready as I can be.
    Like a few others, the "fresh legs" feeling has eluded me, and taking into account my concerns about spending stupid amounts of time on my feet during normal life anyway, I have implemented Huzzah's instruction, issued many weeks ago, to *delegate* more jobs to my long-suffering and tremendously supportive husband for the week that's in it :D
    With delegation, and some good resting and sleeping over the weekend, the legs are starting to feel better now just walking about, so we'll see how they feel during the remaining teeny weeny runs over the next few days.
    Other than that, the waiting is starting to irk me now! Would love to just get going!
    One mantra that I hope I can stick to, is to live in the moment and try to enjoy it and feel the experience as much as I can from the outset :)

Pacing-wise, I'm not wearing a pace band. I've an idea in my head what to be trying for at various points. With a view to coming in sub 5hrs, here's the plan...
    Miles 1-7 @ 11.50mins/mile -> 1:22:50
    Miles 8-13 @ 11.25mins/mile -> 2:31:20
    Miles 13-26.2 @ 11.10mins/mile -> 4:58:44

However, if all is going well, I'd hope to shave bits off that time where I can, and maybe in the process banking an extra minute for Heartbreak Hill! The plan is to do a systems check after 7 miles, 13 miles, and again at the top of Roebuck Hill, and tip on if I can.
    Gels every 4.5 miles (5 in total, last one at 22.5 miles a caffeine gel, probably take this a little earlier at 21.5 miles).
    Does that all seem reasonable?:o

One question. I'm somehow in Wave 3. The pacer groups that I may (or may not) use for guidance are in Wave 4. Am I better off to start at the back of Wave 3 where it'd be less mental than Wave 4? And let Wave 4 swallow me up a couple of miles along?

Thanks again to the mentors for their invaluable and selfless help, and to my fellow novices for the support and the laughs :) I think I'm going to get me a tapir t-shirt when this is all over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

DBB wrote: »

One question. I'm somehow in Wave 3. The pacer groups that I may (or may not) use for guidance are in Wave 4. Am I better off to start at the back of Wave 3 where it'd be less mental than Wave 4? And let Wave 4 swallow me up a couple of miles along?

Thanks again to the mentors for their invaluable and selfless help, and to my fellow novices for the support and the laughs :) I think I'm going to get me a tapir t-shirt when this is all over :D

Would highly recommend dropping down into wave 4 and start just behind the 5 hour pacers. That way you'll have a catch up bus to hop onto and hang on if things are getting difficult later on, and you'll be starting with people running at your own goal paces. You'll have the benefit of knowing any of the balloons around you will be good time guides for what youre actually running and they'll be there to aim at to catch up to if feeling strong and you end up chasing down the 4:50s

Starting in wave 3 will mean a lot of people passing you out in the first few miles of the race. It could be demoralising for you and ultimately you'd be part of the congestion caused by runners starting in the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

DBB wrote: »
    I laughed out loud at a few bits :D I also winced at a few bits. "Protein burns dirty", huh? That's my steak on Saturday evening reduced in size anyway :o
    Thanks Singer, that's a great article.

Am I ready?
    I think I'm as ready as I can be.
    Like a few others, the "fresh legs" feeling has eluded me, and taking into account my concerns about spending stupid amounts of time on my feet during normal life anyway, I have implemented Huzzah's instruction, issued many weeks ago, to *delegate* more jobs to my long-suffering and tremendously supportive husband for the week that's in it :D
    With delegation, and some good resting and sleeping over the weekend, the legs are starting to feel better now just walking about, so we'll see how they feel during the remaining teeny weeny runs over the next few days.
    Other than that, the waiting is starting to irk me now! Would love to just get going!
    One mantra that I hope I can stick to, is to live in the moment and try to enjoy it and feel the experience as much as I can from the outset :)

Pacing-wise, I'm not wearing a pace band. I've an idea in my head what to be trying for at various points. With a view to coming in sub 5hrs, here's the plan...
    Miles 1-7 @ 11.50mins/mile -> 1:22:50
    Miles 8-13 @ 11.25mins/mile -> 2:31:20
    Miles 13-26.2 @ 11.10mins/mile -> 4:58:44

However, if all is going well, I'd hope to shave bits off that time where I can, and maybe in the process banking an extra minute for Heartbreak Hill! The plan is to do a systems check after 7 miles, 13 miles, and again at the top of Roebuck Hill, and tip on if I can.
    Gels every 4.5 miles (5 in total, last one at 22.5 miles a caffeine gel, probably take this a little earlier at 21.5 miles).
    Does that all seem reasonable?:o

Would highly recommend dropping down into wave 4 and start just behind the 5 hour pacers. That way you'll have a catch up bus to hop onto and hang on if things are getting difficult later on, and you'll be starting with people running at your own goal paces. You'll have the benefit of knowing any of the balloons around you will be good time guides for what youre actually running and they'll be there to aim at to catch up to if feeling strong and you end up chasing down the 4:50s

Starting in wave 3 will mean a lot of people passing you out in the first few miles of the race. It could be demoralising for you and ultimately you'd be part of the congestion caused by runners starting in the wrong place.

I totally agree here. I started at the back at Wave 2 last year with a similar sort of plan and it was quite demoralising when I was struggling and people passing me out. I’m dropping back to wave 3 this year.

Also, will you be taking anything else besides gels? I’m just wondering if you are taking enough of them? Just from experience I took them every 45 mins in my first marathon and it wasn’t enough. It was recommended I do every 30 mins in the next one and that definitely helped more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I think Toenail Tuesday is from when the marathon was on a Monday, so I'd move cutting your toenails to today.

Done... now I've a free day tomorrow :confused:
    akenno wrote: »
    That looks like a good plan, are you in Wave 2 or 3?

I signed up to Wave 2 but going to drop back to Wave 3 and follow my race plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I honestly think my legs started to wake up on D Day itself last year, so don't worry too much if you're not full of zip yet. Just keep the remainder of the runs at recovery pace and try and stay off your feet as much as possible this week. Early to bed too if you can manage it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I totally agree here. I started at the back at Wave 2 last year with a similar sort of plan and it was quite demoralising when I was struggling and people passing me out. I’m dropping back to wave 3 this year.

Also, will you be taking anything else besides gels? I’m just wondering if you are taking enough of them? Just from experience I took them every 45 mins in my first marathon and it wasn’t enough. It was recommended I do every 30 mins in the next one and that definitely helped more.

Great, thanks kellygirl and pacing mule, that's very helpful :)
    I can absolutely take more gels... I don't want to eat anything solid as I knew it already, but proved it during LSRs, that it gives me tummy cramps. The gels never gave me any bother. But yep, happy to throw more in... is it weird that I kinda like them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

Completely missed my LSR at the weekend just wondering if anyone has advice. It was meant to be 13k but I was thinking of maybe I should skip that and just continue as normal. Would I be better doing a 10 this evening and then 5 tues and weds rest thurs and Friday and a 3k on Sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

saffron22 wrote: »
    Completely missed my LSR at the weekend just wondering if anyone has advice. It was meant to be 13k but I was thinking of maybe I should skip that and just continue as normal. Would I be better doing a 10 this evening and then 5 tues and weds rest thurs and Friday and a 3k on Sat?

Nope. Don't do it or 10 this evening. Consider the LSR as missed and stick to the plan from here on in.

saffron22 wrote: »

I definitely wouldn't chase any lost miles at this stage. Stick to the plan as is for the rest of the week.

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Nope. Don't do it or 10 this evening. Consider the LSR as missed and stick to the plan from here on in.

Yoink, missed your post. Thank goodness we said the same thing :)

Advertisement