Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Are you ready?

I hope so. I keep drifting from full of confidence and no doubt I’ll be full of running and pushing on after 22 miles to thinking I’ll end up in a heap and dragging myself to the finish or dnf.

I know I’ve had a solid block of training, effectively a year of consistent running. I’ve run 3 half’s and all have gone to plan, but set backs at 10k and 10 mile.

The marathon plan is sensible, the target should be attainable but it will need everything to click on the day.

Excellent. We all have setbacks. You've controlled all of the controllables and have done all you can. Nothing more you can ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Are you ready?

Well my toenails are ready, manicure Monday is complete. I do feel like I will go somewhat insane this week with all the anticipation and nervousness that it's bringing. Like anyone else, I wish it was tomorrow to get it over and done with!

Legs aren't feeling anyway fresh but not worried about that. Surprised no one has posted this bit of motivational imagery

Goal target

It's like you're already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Singer wrote: »
    Today is “Manicure Monday”!

It doesn’t really matter if you get it done today or tomorrow, as long as it’s not done close to the marathon itself.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    I was desperately trying to think of an alliterative term for this and couldn't, nice job. And I suspect I've had more manicures than you... could be wrong of course :pac:

I now have Manic Monday in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Are you ready?

I guess I'm as ready as I can be. Training has gone well, with only 3/4 runs missed in total. The nerves are ratcheting up already though. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

Are you ready?

I wonder, the training is done, but I still haven't fully decided on clothing. Then gels, I see further up someone mentioned not taking enough, I had planned on 4\5 gels, one every 5 miles and then water along the way, have had a dodgy tummy for 2 recent runs and don't want that to ruin all my hard work, so really not sure what to do, also worried if I take extra gels will this also makes matters worse. For me this is toilet issue is something which puts me off contemplating any further marathons.

Other than thst, legs feel good so hopefully all will work out well on the day 🙏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

3boyz wrote: »
    Are you ready?

I wonder, the training is done, but I still haven't fully decided on clothing. Then gels, I see further up someone mentioned not taking enough, I had planned on 4\5 gels, one every 5 miles and then water along the way, have had a dodgy tummy for 2 recent runs and don't want that to ruin all my hard work, so really not sure what to do, also worried if I take extra gels will this also makes matters worse. For me this is toilet issue is something which puts me off contemplating any further marathons.

Other than thst, legs feel good so hopefully all will work out well on the day 🙏

Have you ever taken Immodium before any of your long runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

Good evening Ladies and Gents,
    long time no post ( sorry)

So am I ready, as ready as I ever will be, just starting packing my suitcase there. its beginning to get real, had my last mobility session this am at 6 and it felt good.

Have most things packed, think I might go and get a few more gels tomorrow, not sure if Gu is available at home? do they have them at the expo?, Precision hydration tabs have been a game changer, wish I'd discovered them sooner.

Did 6 miles yest in 31 degrees and kept thinking it will never be as warm at home, so that kept me going. Am at the stage where I want a few weeks away from running and back lifting weights (properly), have been maintaining as part of my weekly strength session but can't wait to have an engine to do more workouts in the gym ( I like the energy). I need a change, even the air bike is appealing at this stage. just something I can do and enjoy and shake it up a bit.

So running has gone to plan as much as possible, miles are in the legs ( I think) , had to do a few long runs on the treadmill cos of the haze here but that I believe was a mind game, to run 16 miles on the treadmilll and not lose my mind and go crazy, can only help.

There's only 3 things I can't control in Dublin,
    The rain- don't know what rain is and I'm thinking rain and sweat are the same thing
    the wind- don't know what this is either, but hopefully can hide behind someone
    the temp- can never be as hot and humid as here , but not sure I'll have acclimatised in 3 days. fingers crossed its not single digits and not too warm for everyone else, have done most of my runs here

The rest I'll get through it, excited and anxious altogether, looking forward to the weekend, and the expo and meeting fellow runners.

Off to sleep now, last 3 miles here in Singapore in the morning before work then the big bird in the sky on Wed night. Could do with a day off, but no such luck- work is a little busy( A lot)

Thur get home and get the legs moving,
    Fri hopefully get over jet lag
    Sat head to the big smoke
    Sun - I don't need to tell ye :- Sun night - a glass of vino( gave up the booze in June- was a game changer, fresher and no excuse), ok, I'll have 2 or more
    Mon- recover, friends and family

See ye all soon

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Have you ever taken Immodium before any of your long runs?

I haven't , would it be a good idea, do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Probably too late to try something "new"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well I do for marathons and I hope that’s not crossing the line by saying that here?? (I’ll delete if needs be) The Imodium Plus helps relieve cramps as well as prevent any issues. I did use it without trying it on a long run as it was only suggested to me when it was too late and I figured it couldn’t do any harm and it put my mind at ease.

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well I do for marathons and I hope that’s not crossing the line by saying that here?? (I’ll delete if needs be) The Imodium Plus helps relieve cramps as well as prevent any issues. I did use it without trying it on a long run as it was only suggested to me when it was too late and I figured it couldn’t do any harm and it put my mind at ease.
    Thanks, had been wondering whether I should take something, good to know that it had no bad effect on you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Just chiming in here too, I have started taking it in the last couple of months for long runs and have found it ok, no issues thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Am I ready? Kinda...:o
    Gear is going through the wash, meal plan roughly ready, last physio appointment done today, no pain from the knee since last Wednesday, so that's a massive relief.

One logistics question;
    is there parking near the RDS for the expo and how long should that take? (Country bumpkin here, the Cork "expo" was a one man and his dog type operation)

The other thing on my mind is strategy;
    the mentors (in their infinite wisdom) have bestowed a target time of 4 hrs 15 mins - is there anything to be said for sticking with the 4:20 pacers for the first half and (very) slowly edging away in the second half, thus ensuring a controlled negative split. Is that over simplifying things?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

Some great posts over last few days that Im just catching up on!!

Am I ready?

I think so yeah bar a few moments of WTF!!! Started training approx 18 weeks ago running 3 times a week (worried about getting injured & past injuries flaring) but switched to 4 days running about 12 weeks ago and really felt the extra easy run helping the base fitness!! Will end up circa 800km prior to race!

Gear is drying for Sunday, just need to sort a few extra gels and some food items for 2nd part of week and pack a bag for after the race!
    Family are pretty much sorted for viewing points and what energy supplies to have available for Milltown area so I can grab if needed later in race. Going to head to the Expo on Saturday to collect items and kill the boredom of the long wait!

As a reference against my own thoughts on pacing, would anyone have a suggestion on what would be sensible aim timewise for say first 7 mile an then at HM point to aim for a 4.30 target?. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

jackc101 wrote: »
    Gear is going through the wash, meal plan roughly ready, last physio appointment done today, no pain from the knee since last Wednesday, so that's a massive relief.

One logistics question;
    is there parking near the RDS for the expo and how long should that take? (Country bumpkin here, the Cork "expo" was a one man and his dog type operation)

the mentors (in their infinite wisdom) have bestowed a target time of 4 hrs 15 mins - is there anything to be said for sticking with the 4:20 pacers for the first half and (very) slowly edging away in the second half, thus ensuring a controlled negative split. Is that over simplifying things?

Regarding parking, depends on when you are there and if you want to pay. RDS provides parking for 6 euro. Herbert Park Hotel across the way has paid parking.

I personally would lob it for free on Herbert Park Road, free after 2pm (on 1 side) on Friday. Think it’s free on Saturday too, long road and not that far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

I'M READY!! Buzzing :D Physio done yesterday, nails and gels tomorrow!! Can't bloody wait to get off work early Friday and head straight up to collect my bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

jackc101 wrote: »

One logistics question;

That's great to hear about the knee issues!

Following the 4:20 pacers to start seems like a perfect strategy.

Once you're past the Walkinstown roundabout (mile 15) the course is your friend, provided you've been disciplined to that point.

py wrote: »

Lastly, big thank you Mr. Guappa/ReeReeG/Huzzah. Your guidance, knowledge and patience is what has made the novices training program so enjoyable for me. Also, the flapjacks, they played a huge part. :pac:

We never did get that recipe did we?.........

Clareview wrote: »
    Some great posts over last few days that Im just catching up on!!

Am I ready?

I think so yeah bar a few moments of WTF!!! Started training approx 18 weeks ago running 3 times a week (worried about getting injured & past injuries flaring) but switched to 4 days running about 12 weeks ago and really felt the extra easy run helping the base fitness!! Will end up circa 800km prior to race!

Gear is drying for Sunday, just need to sort a few extra gels and some food items for 2nd part of week and pack a bag for after the race!
    Family are pretty much sorted for viewing points and what energy supplies to have available for Milltown area so I can grab if needed later in race. Going to head to the Expo on Saturday to collect items and kill the boredom of the long wait!

As a reference against my own thoughts on pacing, would anyone have a suggestion on what would be sensible aim timewise for say first 7 mile an then at HM point to aim for a 4.30 target?. Thanks

For 4:30 I'd go no faster than 6:30 or 6:35/km through the first 7 miles. You've a chance then from Castleknock to Chapelizod (miles 8-10) to gain a little, but it's still early so no point getting too carried away just yet. After that, keep the handrake on until you're through 15 miles at least, and gradually pick it up then if you can. If you were through halfway in say 2:17 you'd be giving yourself a good shot at 4:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Sorbet

It's all looking good for me and my ankle injury - not back to the physio until Wednesday lunchtime so won't be getting the all clear until then but am pretty confident - completely pain free :).

I will confirm on Wednesday that I get the all clear - but assuming for a moment that I do and physio says I am 100% - wondering what my strategy should be between then and Sunday and my target for the day.

I was originally targeting sub 4h30m but haven't run since 14 mile LSR on 13th October. What impact does missing the last week and half runs have do you think. Should I be aiming for a slower time? While I'd be disappointed not to go for it primary goal is to get around in one piece.

Any suggestions on what runs I should do between Wednesday and Saturday?

Sorry for the awkward non plan questions but then that's what you mentors get paid for.........(what do you mean they don't get paid for this - are they mad?) :confused::eek:

Also general question for all - is eating tuc every evening enough for carb loading or should I be doing second meal of pasta in the evenings? I'm liking the tuc though:D

• Advertisement

We may as well throw up the prediction table now. To kick it off, I've robbed passinginterest's time from another thread, so hope he doesn't mind :eek:

Whatever you do - DON'T BREAK THE TABLE :pac:

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |passinginterest|3:59:30|

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    We may as well throw up the prediction table now. To kick it off, I've robbed passinginterest's time from another thread, so hope he doesn't mind :eek:

Whatever you do - DON'T BREAK THE TABLE :pac:

I broke the table in the other thread! It took a quick edit to undo the damage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

|Naked Lepper|04:05:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

|Treviso|03:29:59|

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

|Fraggle07|04:59:59|

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Evening mentors,

Can i ask about pacing I'm temped to follow the 4:20 pacers too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

|DBB|04:59:59|

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

DBB wrote: »
    |UKNOWNABILITY|03:28:59|

The above is in a very good day and a cooperative hamstring.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Hi haven’t posted for a while ...

Have no idea what to do with that table - can someone add me 5 59 59 ... thank you!

Am I ready...?

God knows!

Can’t wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Here ya go kemcloughlin... no going back now:D