Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Rojo wrote: »
    Hi all, congrats to everyone on the signing up for this crazy marathon monster and putting in the hard work over the past 18 weeks. I can say without any doubt that I wouldn't have made it to the start line without Aisling, this group and of course, our wonderful mentors. Huzzah, Mr Guappa and ReeReeG, thank you so so much for your time, energy and knowledge.

I loved running before signing up here but my whole attitude to it has changed. Not chasing times all the time and running at the easier paces has really liberated me to enjoy it even more!

Target time 04:20
    Chip Time 04:08:07

I had an absolute ball for the run. Getting my name printed on my t-shirt made me feel like a superhero. I bounced along whenever I heard someone call out Ronan. Aisling had organised all our friends and family to be at various parts of the course so we were never too far from seeing a friendly face, which really spurred me on. I don't know how I missed you guys in Milltown though! The support in general was something else. Never experienced anything like it.

Running-wise, I feel like I ran out of my skin and only encountered one stumbling block. I may have missed taking a gel after mile 20 or so I felt a bit out of steam but not too bad. At Mile 24 I felt like I needed a jelly to keep me going (prob more mental than anything) but couldn't get the packet out of my flip belt so I stopped and took one out. When I went to start running again something funny happened to my knee and I couldn't run properly on it. I walked while I tried to formulate a plan... Walking was also sore so I just started running again and persevered with the pain and it somehow rectified itself, thank god.

I'm still in disbelief that its done. Was the quickest 4 hours and 8 minutes ever!

Very proud of everyone and what you have all achieved. I really appreciate all your kind messages to Aisling too.

I'm not going to lie, knowing your 4.20 target and seeing your 10k and halfway splits had me massively worried :pac: but you were well able, super run!! Congrats! Hope the knee is ok now.

DBB wrote: »
    There's the finish gantry! OMG there's the finish! It seemed to take so long to get there... but finally, the moment we've all dreamed of... I'm on the blue carpet, holding it together and not feeling the elation I thought I'd have earned at this stage, but I'm on the blue carpet! Over the line.
    Plan C, thank feck, has been salvaged.:o

Chip time: 5:19:15, though my watch timed 26.31 miles at 5:17:56... every minute counts, huh?! And see? I ran the tangent pretty well, lil bro!!!

The Aftermath
    I've done a marathon. I think I'm still struggling to believe that. Lads, really...me? Doing a MARATHON? Lol!
    But there's disappointment. I'm disappointed that I didn't get to run the race I had trained for, that I was ready for, and that I was capable of running. But I think I'll get over that. Probably am getting over that by now.
    What I'm by far the most disappointed about, and what had caused me to fight back some tears, is that I didn't, I couldn't, get to enjoy the experience. That was my major, overarching wish, to enjoy it whilst embracing the challenge, but that was taken from me by my stupid stomach, and can't be given back.
    But. Here's the but. I also have come to realise in the past 2 days that it was a privilege to get to finish it, even if it was under less than perfect circumstances. Ais_Byrne7's experience was sobering (relieved you're okay Ais :o), and quite a few reports of better runners than I not finishing.

I've said all along that I'd do one marathon. Just to knock it off the bucket list. But, I also feel now that I've unfinished business with DCM.
    Will I do it again? No. Maybe. Yes. :p
    Actually, it now seems that I have to let the stupid new lottery system make the decision for me :rolleyes:

Mr. Guappa, Huzzah! and ReeReeG... thank you so, so much. Such great patience and selflessness with your time. Just fab. Take a bow :)
    My fellow novices...no, no, my fellow GRADUATES... thanks for sharing the anticipation, the excitement, the jokes... yiz are as mad a a bottle of frogs :p
    Gosh. This was tough to read M. I don't know how you finished, but wow you did. The extra energy even dealing with that pain, and trying to reduce it, must have been seriously exhausting.. it would be exhausting at the best of times I'd say but you did it while running a marathon! I'm sad you didn't get to enjoy it, but I'm so happy you finished it. Congrats :)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but now It's all over wondering about recovery over the next week or so?

In terms of strength work (weights), running, and steady state cardio like yoga etc

Also, When's a good idea to go for a sports massage?

And finally, races or park runs etc, how long to leave it until we can run hard again

Any advice would be really appreciated :)

I'd say yoga would be fine this week, but definitely mention it to the instructor at the start as you probably shouldn't take it too strenuously. I went for the sports massage a few days later, was fine. Again, they'll know how firm to be with your legs or not.

With running, and running hard, I'd leave any run at all for at least a week, more if you can. And listen to your body when you do head out.

A lot of people target the Jingle Bells 5k (1st weekend of Dec) as their first hard run post DCM, so I suppose a month until a hard (short) run is considered ok.

Clareview wrote: »
    Target 4:29:59
    Actual 4:48:23

Race report

Well where to even begin with this... 1st Marathon attempt and felt everything up to race was good and training runs etc had been really good; taper went well enough; hydration and fuel in last week were good but ultimately last 1/3 of race was a disaster!
    Started the race with a friend who had done the exact same training and we would have been very similar from ability POV (he finished with 4.29).

- First 11KM went exactly to our plan and we were just under 72mins.
    - Next 10km then we picked up in the spots where we said we could and backed off the hills etc and went through the half in just about 2.15.30.
    - Then from here to 30KM I just started to struggle with energy in the legs, couldnt get the pick up to paces that I wanted so told friend to drive on at around 28km;
    - I ended up going through 30km in about 3hrs15mins but then the fun and games really started at about 33km.. It really was like someone turned the Power button off.. felt sick, went very pale (according to friends supporting), couldnt take any more fuel on bar water and had to go with a Walk/Run plan from here to about 40.5km where I then mustered the energy to run in the last stretch.
    - Essentially the last 12.2km took me 1hr33mins!! definitely not what I had envisaged.

Overall the experience was still a good one and some tremendous learnings over the duration of training and racing!! the support on the course was brilliant, thoroughly enjoyed the first 3 hours and the last 8-10 mins.. haha!! We also managed to raise over €6.5k for charity too so that was a positive too.

Just means Im going to have to go again at some point in the future at another marathon; but it has spurred an interest to keep up running more regularly now going forward so going to look to join a club over the next few weeks!

Congrats to everyone on their wonderful races also and some tremendous race reports & stories emerging!!

Congrats!! Sounds like a tough battle towards the end, with the lack of energy it does sound like a fueling issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

frash wrote: »
    I’ve done the marathon before in 2015. My legs turned to lead at mile 20 that year and I ended up finishing in 5:10.

This yeah I’ve done more training so that’s not going to happen again. Right?

I did the half in September in 2:05:55 and my PB for the distance (same race the previous year) is 2:00:00 so in theory a time between 4:30 and 4:40 was perfectly achievable

I said that evening "never again" but Mrs Frash was “no, that’s bullsh1t – you can’t let the distance beat you” so maybe I will be back but not next year – I need to forget a lot of what I went through in those last 6 miles.

If I do do it again I think I need a plan with PMP miles in it – I’ve done the HHN1 twice now but I just don’t think it works for me.

Sorry I never made the pub but after my wife was standing waiting for me with the 4 kids I wasn’t going to suggest going to the pub to meet some randomers from the internet.

Really sorry to read that it didn't go to plan for you. Your strategy was good and it's unfortunate that it didn't work out for you.

You squeeze a lot in with your family and training. I've no doubt you're a great inspiration to your kids.

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote: »

Target Time: 04:39:59
    Chip Time: 04:13:58

I'm going to try keep it as brief as I can. I made some decisions up to 48 hours before hand which certainly effected me both positively and negatively on the day.

My target time was more than achievable after running a 1:49:41 in the Half. I wanted to go out and enjoy myself - but how often am I going to do a marathon - once or twice a year - I wanted to see what limit I could hit without exhausting myself and set a decent target for next year.

I wanted to stick under the 6:00min/km as much as I could but within my comfort zone.

I can safely say the first half of the race was easily the most enjoyable run I've ever done. The crowds on the streets were amazing and really pushed me on. The name written on the bib number seemed to be working!! My HR was low and I was soaking everything in. I zoned out but I knew I was in and around where the pacers were. 01:57:18 for the first half.

Once we hit 28km I was still feeling comfortable, well hydrated, gels going to plan (and agreeing with me!!) - I was now going into unknown territory.

Also, not sure if it was around this mark or further up, I seen 2 or 3 people hold a white sign that I'm sure said ''Mr Guappa says ...... '' ?? I was on the other side of the road so forgive me!!

All my Kms from 1-29 were in the 5:xx bracket. Around the 30km mark I had to stop for toilet break, as I was getting back into the run , bang - my left hip & thigh went into convulsions of cramps and I was hobbling a bit. I knew my time was good and there was around 11km left. I was going to just push myself and pay for it afterwards. I stopped 3 or 4 times at the side of the road for stretches , but everywhere started to cramp if stretched for more than a few seconds. The next 8 or 9 kms are a blur. A mixtures of almost jogging on the spot , to walking , to running again when the crowds were there shouting my name - really was a game changer. Was almost in tears while running at some points. I knew I was going to finish no matter what and it was mind over body at that stage.

Brilliant stuff! You really experienced all the marathon has to offer. Don't worry about the sub 4:10; it's there and some the next time you attempt the distance. Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

kemcloughlin: You've been on a great journey over the past year, and DCM is by no means the end I'm sure. I love the positive example that my running sets for my kids too - we could be doing a lot worse! Huge well done on the charity efforts too, and congrats on your first marathon :D

Doc76: Well done on a great first marathon. You had such a strong finish, and I'm sure if you're lucky enough to get an entry next year you will have far loftier goals than sub 5!

jackc101: Well done on a huge PB over your Cork time - that's serious improvement in such a short time. Hopefully you won't have to do too many runs at crazy hours for the next little while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

DCM19 Report
    Target 4:10:00
    Plan B 4:20:00

I had run a marathon in 2013 and it didn’t end good. I wanted to have a better day in DCM19 than I did on that day when I finished in 4:28.
    Pre-Race.
    I was up at 5.30, had my porridge and was out the door by 6am. I drove to Dublin, my wife and kids were getting a lift to meet me at the end (they are 4, would be a long day for them if they came early). Stopped in Applegreen for a pitstop, the only customers in there had old crappy tracksuits and fancy running runners. Snap. Parked in Stephens Green, strolled over to Merrion Sq. and dropped my bag. Had 8 gels, 2 zero tabs, phone and earphones (in case of emergency, did not use in the end) in my flip belt. Met up with the Bro-in-law who was in Wave 3 also. He was aiming for 4hr. Used a portaloo at the start line and were ready for off.
    Race.
    Mile 1 (Target:9.43 Actual:10.01)
    Slow start, we were between 4:10 and 4:20 pacers, and just drifted along with the pace of the collective. Was excited and already couldn’t get over the support at 9.30 on a Sunday morning.
    Mile 2 (Target:9.38 Actual:9.11)
    Sped up here, between the flow of the crowd, the downhill, my BIL still chatting, even consciously slowed myself a few times not to go under 9m/m.
    Mile 3 (Target:10.05 Actual:9.49)
    Eased off after telling my BIL to tip away on his own and was still comfortable coming to the park. Pace was starting to settle. Some Saturday night revellers still partying hard on this stretch providing music for us gave me a laugh. Took my first gel and water here, the plan was 1 every 3 miles.
    Mile 4 (Target:9.39 Actual:9.40)
    Mile 5 (Target:9.45 Actual:9.48)
    Mile 6 (Target:9.33 Actual:9.35)
    The phoenix park miles were all bang on target, was settled in nicely, enjoying the easy running and the crowd. Second gel here and water.
    Mile 7 (Target:9.53 Actual:9.51)
    Crossed the 10k marker in 1:01:20.The crowd here really shortened this mile and haven’t noticed any inclines yet which is good. More water just after Castleknock.
    Mile 8 (Target:9.14 Actual:9.11)
    Mile 9 (Target:9.18 Actual:9.18)
    3rd gel here just on the 9 mile mark.
    Mile 10 (Target:9.14 Actual:9.10)
    Flying along back in the park and a friend in the crowd spotted me. I was close to the side of the road, so he grabbed my hand to give it a quick shake and nearly pulled me off the road. When I got myself back together, I realised my watch was paused and the lap pace reset. I just carried on and reset the lap again at the 10mile marker. It all took me by surprise and before I knew it we were at the water station and entering Chapelizod. Quick mental and physical check here. All good so far, comfortable, hydrated and no niggles.
    Mile 11 (Target:9.47 Actual:9.44)
    Going under the N4 bridge was funny with all the shouting, St.Laurence hill was ok, was the first hill that I ‘felt’ on the legs though. Noticing a lot of people stop-starting already, and starting to pass a good few.
    Mile 12 (Target:9.23 Actual:9.20)
    Into Inchicore was quite until the Gaol, the crowd was huge here again, I was still getting use to the support. 4th gel taken here.
    Mile 13 (Target:9.34 Actual:9.32)
    Crossed 20k marker in 2:00:44, and the halfway point in 2:06:57. Happy with progress so far. Familiar with route so far. In good condition and feel 100%. Took more water on this mile.
    Mile 14 (Target:9.48 Actual:9.44)
    I thought this was a very long mile, long straight road, uphill.
    Mile 15 (Target:9.31 Actual:9.40)
    Another long drag uphill. I was feeling the effort increasing here. Not a good sign with over 11 miles left. 5th gel here.
    Mile 16 (Target:9.25 Actual:9.23)
    Walkinstown was the start of the unknown territory for me, big crowd here kept us going at a good pace. Took on some more much needed water.
    Mile 17 (Target:9.34 Actual:9.36)
    Mile 18 (Target:9.19 Actual:9.17)
    Got to Bushy Park and felt I wanted to ditch my cap, so hung it on the railings. Spotted a tub a Vaseline here and thought ‘how thoughtful of someone’. Prior experience no doubt. Luckily I didn’t need any. Had my 6th gel here, and hoped to see a water stop soon as taking the gel was noticeably harder.
    Mile 19 (Target:9.21 Actual:9.41)
    Passed the 30k marker at 3:00:01. Mental and physical check. Still felt ok, getting tired and sore but no blisters/injuries. Really noticing the effort required now just to maintain pace. Got a bit emotional here with too much thinking and found it really affected my breathing, nearly like I was panicking.
    Mile 20 (Target:9.23 Actual:9.36)
    Still ok, no sign of water in a while, a couple of empty stations noticed. Parched. Spot a sign with Mr. Guappa wrote on it the other side of the road in Milltown and let a shout over to the 2 ladies who reply in kind. Nice boost.
    Mile 21 (Target:9.35 Actual:10.11)
    Powered up the hill at Milltown, maybe should have eased off, but noticed my pace really dropping after this hill coming towards Clonskeagh. Tried to respond, but the energy wasn’t there. Could only find 1 more gel in my belt, the caffeine one, put it off for a mile.
    Mile 22 (Target:9.41 Actual:10.33)
    Pace was still a bit off, close to a minute, at about my LSR pace, so not off drastically, but still had nothing in the legs to respond at this stage. I felt if I did up the pace, I wouldn’t have lasted much more. I was still passing more than was passing me, I think. Took that gel near the end of this mile.
    Mile 23 (Target:9.16 Actual:10.12)
    Heartbreak Hill renewed me a small bit, a bit of a challenge within a challenge, it didn’t pose a problem, some of the sudden stoppers did though, even noticed my pace improving a small bit. I did feel rough coming down fosters Ave and found the legs very sore then.
    Mile 24 (Target:9.16 Actual:10.15)
    Found the N11 tough, felt a breeze against us, or maybe imagined it. Ankles, hips and most of the muscles in between are sore now. Rang the wife here to tell here I had 2 mile left, hopefully 20mins.
    Mile 25 (Target:9.29 Actual:10.18)
    Passed the 40k marker in 4:03:28. Back in familiar territory, passed the RDS, and a guy in a dive suit complete with tank and mask, had to turn and acknowledge him. Got emotional again coming through Ballsbridge knowing I was nearly there and would see the family soon, almost couldn’t breathe again like I was hyperventilating.
    Mile 26 (Target:9.30 Actual:9.42)
    The Longest Mile. So many people, so happy, so sore now. Where is the canal?
    Mile 26.34 (Target:9.59 Actual:9.22)
    The last 0.2 miles was 0.4 on my watch. It felt like 5k. The crowd kept me pushing, because the body was spent. Got there. Initial emotion was relief. Then a few tears when I got the goody bag, so happy to see water.
    Watch: 4:15:30
    Chip:4:16:53
    (Had a quick pitstop in PP to account for this minute)
    Post Race.
    Struggled around Merrion Square, from medal, t-shirt, goody bag and baggage area. Rang my wife, she was on Baggot Street. I didn’t know where I was, or what direction I was facing so I asked a Guard to point me towards Baggot St. Got there and more tears. Gave the medal to the kids, they asked me if I won. I told them I did. Legs got sore, and I got cold very quick. Walked along to McGrattan’s only to find it too packed, I needed to change, and kids were hungry. We headed out the Naas Road to eat a lovely dinner and a Pint of black stuff with the Brother in law and both families, then home to bed. Sorry I didn’t get meeting up, maybe another day.
    Really happy with the day, don’t think I could have improved on that. Interestingly, the brother in law broke 4 hours. Trained 2-3 times a week, all at faster pace than PMP. Never ran until early this year. Never played football, done a small bit of leisure cycling. Some people are just naturally fit, Why can’t I be one of those? Haha. Because then it would be too easy.
    Thanks Mentors, and fellow novices, this has been a fantastic resource, really looking forward to next challenge now whatever it may be. I may get back running when the Achilles heals in Dec, Jan or Feb. For now, Au Revoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

Great race report Karlos80. At mile 10 when your watch was paused, and lap pace reset must have been a real head melt, well done on recovering and keeping composure.

Other thing that stuck out:

Interestingly, the brother in law broke 4 hours. Trained 2-3 times a week, all at faster pace than PMP. Never ran until early this year. Never played football, done a small bit of leisure cycling. Some people are just naturally fit, Why can’t I be one of those? Haha. Because then it would be too easy.

One of the guys that travelled with us, did little training - has a 6mile loop that he runs on occasions. No real prep or strategy, picked up a bin liner from the hotel on the morning, no carb loading / tapering etc, no gels before he came down. But has run quite a few marathons with this approach. He just went out and ran the race at a pace that felt good that morning. The result was 3:34. The mind boggles, everyone else here has been training for 16 + weeks, and then some folk can just bust out a time like that. But as you say, where's the joy in that! He certainly didn't get the high that everyone else felt - it was just another run.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

And no time like the present to get back on board:

https://twitter.com/Cathal_Dennehy/s...75270280523778

Statement from Dublin Marathon says they will guarantee entry to anyone who participated in one of the last three editions - places also allocated to Athletics Ireland for club members to run the national championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Curious to see how everyone is recovering.

I'd aches and pains in my leg muscles up until Tuesday when I visited the physio for a light massage. They felt great waking up on Wednesday and since.

The inflammation in both my feet (I'm assuming everyone had this?) has all but gone but there's still a small amount of aching in my feet. I'm guessing this is from the pounding they took for 4.5 hours on Sunday and nothing out of the ordinary. Might try soaking them in an ice bucket to see if it helps. Will continue to monitor.

Biceps (is this usual?) and upper back had minor aches after Sunday but they've also gone.

Energy levels are ok but that could be due to me eating pretty much everything that lands in front of me. Few glasses of wine has helped too. :)

Did a very light 30 minute cycle with the young lads on Tuesday and will do some more over the coming days and then start back cycle commuting on Monday/Tuesday at recovery level efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

py wrote: »

I'd aches and pains in my leg muscles up until Tuesday when I visited the physio for a light massage. They felt great waking up on Wednesday and since.

The inflammation in both my feet (I'm assuming everyone had this?) has all but gone but there's still a small amount of aching in my feet. I'm guessing this is from the pounding they took for 4.5 hours on Sunday and nothing out of the ordinary. Might try soaking them in an ice bucket to see if it helps. Will continue to monitor.

Biceps (is this usual?) and upper back had minor aches after Sunday but they've also gone.

Energy levels are ok but that could be due to me eating pretty much everything that lands in front of me. Few glasses of wine has helped too. :)

Did a very light 30 minute cycle with the young lads on Tuesday and will do some more over the coming days and then start back cycle commuting on Monday/Tuesday at recovery level efforts.

I feel like I didn't run a marathon at all. On Monday I had loads of pain in the sides of my legs where the IT band is. Both sides. But I had a post-event massage that day and by the Tuesday I was fine.

While at the massage, she taped around the knee that gave me trouble on Sunday and that leg was a bit niggly when I walked downhill for about a day, but since yesterday I feel so fresh. Which is annoying in one way.

I guess it is obviously down to the fact that I wasnt able to run at any kind of speed on the day, which meant that the body wasn't really under a huge amount of pressure. All the same, I'm still too scared to chance a light run. Maybe tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

py wrote: »

Everyone will vary in their recovery but most people should 'feel' OK by today if you prepared and trained wisely. Truth is you are not OK. The muscles and tendons are all still inflamed even if the initial soreness is gone and will recover slowly. This won't be helped by running at this stage, maybe a short walks or very easy short recovery run but not nessessary this week. Neck, biceps and other muscles will have been sore but should feel OK around now. Mimic your upper body running right now and you will see what muscles you use. It should also be more awkward to walk down steps than up. Inflamed tendons around the knees and hips are causing this. Time will heal as mentors have mentioned. If you need to do something, keep it to Yoga, stretching, bathing, or icing. Leave the faster stuff till Dec. Also your immune systems will have taken a battering, it is in overdrive repairing the body, so you are susceptable to bugs and viruses. Take some echinaccia or magnesium or vitamins.

Race Report

1 11:17 Started off a good bit behind the 5 hour pacers. Was feeling good but nervous. Crossed the start line in a hoody and wondering if my choice of clothes wasn't the best - was a bit nippy
    2 11:21 Feeling good here and everyone is very chirpy, pace feels good
    3 11:51 There's a man in a boat beside me, lots of entertaining conversations going on, I whip off the jacket around now
    4 11:20 Chesterfield Ave –still feeing strong
    5 11:29 Coming through the uphill of the park now. Feel good, but my hips / glutes are starting the hurt!!! Both of them?! What the hell is this !!
    6 11:30 Hoping the hips ease off, but the uncomfort stays with me , it's distracting, and I'm mad cos I got phsio massages and having been doing my exercises to strengthen glutes!!!
    7 11:36
    8 11:18 Castleknock crowd is the first big one and the energy is awesome , I power around the corner I remember struggling on in the half! Feel like bursting into tears with all the crowds they are so lovely
    9 11:37
    10 11:32
    11 12:06 This bit is all a bit of a blur, but the hip pain is still with me and I'm starting to feel it now. Feel on the verge of tears every time I see someone stop to hug their friends that have came to support them. The crowds are overwhelming!
    12 11:52
    13 11:58 I go through the half way mark slower than my half marathon, and feel a little disappointed in myself
    14 12:33 Can't remember much about the next few miles bar feeling in a bit of pain, but still pretty resilient
    15 12:06
    16 12:30
    17 14:03 I'm struggling here, walking a little and then I see my friend here and stop to chat briefly ! She tells me I look great, but I'm actually fecked. I say to her I don't know how I'm going to do another 10 !!!
    18 12:29 Coming down from Bushy, enjoying the downhill, but it doesn't feel as easy as I think it should. Walk a little after I get into Terenure.
    19 15:15 My BF & Friend meet me here, slightly apart. Delighted to see them and stop with them briefly. They offer words of encouragement and I plow on.
    20 12:49 Hit the 20, landmark and unknown territory,
    21 15:42 Walked a bit here, feeling in a lot of pain!! Met my friends over the n11 flyover, they tell me not to stop and keep going
    22 13:51 Determined to run to the finish now. Going to keep running even if it kills me
    23 13:03
    24 12:43 Want to stop, but I'm going to keep running if it kills me !
    25 12:50
    26 13:04 Guy at the RDS says it's only 10 mins to go... I'm thinking, it's easy for you to say that !! This mile seems to go on FOREVER !!!!
    0.2 12.03 Okay, I can see the finish it's so close. Waddle across the finish & hold back the tears when the lady hands me the medal

Overall, I must say, I felt a little sad that I wasn't quicker. I felt the mental struggle was tough, and I just don't know why my hips/glutes were sore from so early on - I haven't experienced this before. However in hindsight, it was my first marathon, so any time is a PB. Also after seeing what happened poor Ais, I'm also glad that I finished strong & in one piece, and that is something to be grateful for. I have some pain in my legs, but nothing that hasn't faded by today so all good.

I knew it was going to be tough, but I didn't realise how tough it was going to be. I had to hold back the tears on so many occasions - tears because I was finally running it, tears cos it all hurt, tears cos I seen someone hugging someone they knew on the sideline, tears cos the energy from the DJ in cheerzone, tears cos I seen my friend, tears again cos I thought about seeing my other friends later and the effort they had made, tears cos I couldn't believe I wasn't nearly finished, and tears cos the lady handed me a medal.

Well done everyone on your massive efforts over the last few months & over the weekend. Thanks to the mentors for the constant checking in. I feel truly humbled to be part of this group to have achieved our goal together. I don't think the last few months would have been as enjoyable without this group.

On Sunday during the race I was thinking, what the HELL was I doing signing up for this. When people asked me afterwards I said, never again. Yesterday, I still was saying never again, but with a little hesitation, and today... well... never say never...

No need to be disappointed. I know it was tough but you battled on through. We all wish we were faster, even the really speedy folks. You'll be faster next time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Karlos80 wrote: »
    Everyone will vary in their recovery but most people should 'feel' OK by today if you prepared and trained wisely. Truth is you are not OK. The muscles and tendons are all still inflamed even if the initial soreness is gone and will recover slowly. This won't be helped by running at this stage, maybe a short walks or very easy short recovery run but not nessessary this week. Neck, biceps and other muscles will have been sore but should feel OK around now. Mimic your upper body running right now and you will see what muscles you use. It should also be more awkward to walk down steps than up. Inflamed tendons around the knees and hips are causing this. Time will heal as mentors have mentioned. If you need to do something, keep it to Yoga, stretching, bathing, or icing. Leave the faster stuff till Dec. Also your immune systems will have taken a battering, it is in overdrive repairing the body, so you are susceptable to bugs and viruses. Take some echinaccia or magnesium or vitamins.

This! There are processes happening within your bodies which need time and rest to complete. You may feel fine, you may even feel better than you have ever felt but recovery takes time. The old adage of only easy miles for a day per mile raced is very relevant.

akenno wrote: »
    Target 3:59:59
    Actual 4:00:09

Race report
    KM’s 1-9 6:27 /km, 6:11 /km, 5:58 /km, 6:00 /km, 6:05 /km, 5:47 /km, 6:00 /km, 5:58 /km, 5:57 /km
    I started off at the back of Wave 2, plan was to go out slow. I found the first km very congested, a lot of people zig zagging around, and throwing away discarded clothes. I was trying to get into a rhythm and settle down to 5:50 pace but it just wasn’t happening. I didn’t panic just kept moving and knew that it would be alright once we got to Phoenix Park. My parents met me here, so it was nice to be able to see them and they saw me before the crowds got too big. I was weary of not going too fast up Chesterfield Avenue, but I needed to get some sub 6 mins kilometres in. I took a gel at 9km.

KM’s 10-21.1 5:49 /km, 5:55 /km, 5:43 /km, 5:36 /km, 5:34 /km, 5:37 /km, 5:38 /km, 5:42 /km, 5:43 /km, 5:32 /km, 5:32 /km, 5:34 /km
    The wall of noise in Castleknock was truly amazing. I started to pick up the pace to get me back on track. I was talking to a few fellow runners just to get a feel of how I was. I began to start taking some high 5’s from kids and some jellies along the way. I took my next gel at 18km. I crossed the halfway point at 2:04 knowing I had a lot of work to do in the second half. My plan was to be here at approx. 2:02 but an additional 2 minutes felt like a lot to claw back. At this point I said, just keep going and to try to forget about the time. It was my first marathon so the main goal was to get to that finish line in one piece.

KM’s 21.1-30 5:32 /km, 5:35 /km, 5:35 /km, 5:27 /km, 5:34 /km, 5:35 /km, 5:36 /km, 5:36 /km, 5:34 /km
    Here I really found my gear. My brother met me at Crumlin with some grapes. It was a nice distraction and he ran with me for a few metres. I handed out some grapes to other runners, and one guy said they were the nicest grapes he had ever eaten. I took a couple of more and gave them to an athletics club to hand back to some runners. This gave me a boost. My parents met me again around Terenure along with my sister and boyfriend and this was a good surprise. I took a caffeine gel at 28Km near Terenure College with the idea that it would kick in for around Milltown and Roebuck Road. I was feeling strong here and continued to stick at the pace. Now I was starting to overtake people and it was great for the mind.

KM’s 30-36 5:34 /km, 5:37 /km, 5:38 /km, 5:23 /km, 5:35 /km, 5:52 /km, 5:45 /km
    I broke the final 12 kilometres into 2 blocks of 6km. My average pace was getting closer and closer to the magic 5.40km pace. My legs were still feeling good, once I got over the 35km mark I was into unchartered territory but I trusted the training and advice and put that to the front of my mind. The noise around Milltown and Roebuck Road was unreal. People were really starting to cramp up and walk around me, I just kept picking them off and saying to myself I’m good don’t stop. My friends met me at the top of Roebuck Road and he gave me some jellies. I took them and knew it was time to give it everything I had left.

KM’s 36-42.2 5:16 /km, 5:18 /km, 5:09 /km, 5:35 /km, 5:29 /km, 5:10 /km, 4:36 /km
    I surprised myself how strong I was at this point. I had never felt so good at the end of a race before. Normally I am plodding along wishing the finish line closer. But now I was thinking I have a great chance here for the sub 4. I picked up the pace as much as I could, I was overtaking so many people here it did wonders for my head. I came off Nutley Lane and knew that it was now or never. So I went for the line. I definitely zoned out here a bit, I was concentrating on the people in front of me and started to say get passed them, then pick someone else and get passed them. It felt like nobody was overtaking me (but I’m sure there were). I heard my name called out a few times here by my family and friends. Then with about 200 metres to go, I heard my wife and that pushed me all the way to the line. I let out a roar as I crossed the finish line. The announcer read out my name and I knew that I had just completed a marathon.

Cracking run. Looks like a lovely negative split with a strong finish. Congratulations!

Good luck with the training log.

Great post Karlos80! Also consider the mental aspect - for six months now this marathon and running has probably been at the very forefront of your mind. Recharge the body, recharge the mind, then go again.

OK here goes, my report for DCM 2019.
    Target: 4:20:00
    Actual: 4:10:07

From the start line to the park was lovely, it tipped along nicely, with pockets of congestion in places. Probably helped that I was at the back of the pack.

Into the Phoenix Park we went and again we were moving nicely. I was dreading Chesterfield Avenue (no real reason why!), but it was great to cruise along. I was very conscious of keeping things conservative at this point. I could spot my gym buddies waving a huge flag from far away and it was amazing to see them at mile 6 and again at mile 9. Had a huge smile on my face and lots of big waves and thumbs up! I overtook the 4:20 pacers before we came back into the park and had a lovely spot within a pack just coasting along. I felt like an athlete!

Out by Chapelizod Gate, passing the 10-mile marker, still feeling good, up Inchicore Road and down the South Circular Road, feeling happy, hydrated, pain free and the pace was fairly consistent.

At the halfway mark, I gave a little cheer and told myself that I was on the home stretch. Woohoo! I wanted to get the Walkinstown Roundabout and see how I was going, but I didn’t think I was going to up the pace, I had decided to try and run an even pace throughout.

Mile 15 comes and goes, and I meet loads of work colleagues who happen to live in this area. Loads of support from the locals and marathon watchers. Just fab.

I had earphones in, but I mostly had my music turned off and I was trying to take everything in; the people, the kids, the signs, the goodies on offer, the tables with photos of the goodies (southside!) and encouragement galore. It was quite an experience!

As I seen the sign welcoming you into Terenure Village, I told myself – you’ve walked home from town, trollied and in your heels; you can do this! I used to live in this part of town in an earlier decade.

Coming up to mile 20 on Milltown Road, I knew my Mum, Sisters, Brother, brothers and sister in law, niece, nephew and my little boys were all waiting for me. Lots of cheers, I gave them big waves, blew a kiss and then I was gone. I couldn’t pull over to the side, there was a large glut of runners at the time and there were so many people lining the side of the roads. I also felt that if I stopped, I would not be able to get going again. A little further up as the road straightened, my husband was there with an electrolyte drink – I gratefully accepted the drink and he shouted 4:07 at me. I shouted back that I would be slowing down a little bit! Up until then I had taken water on board at every water station, sipping at the bottle, but I needed something extra in the second half. I was also taking a gel religiously every 5km. Shortly after I met my family and in or around the 21-mile marker I felt a wave of something hit me – tiredness, tummy was gurgling bad and I was fully sure that I was going to throw up. I also had a bad stitch, most likely from skulling the sweet drink I was given at 20 miles. I walked for 20 seconds or so to do some deep breathing to try and relieve some pain. I told myself to get going again albeit slowly and took what was to be my last gel (number 7!!!) at 22 miles. I was at the edge of the road and some bystanders watched me take a bit of the gel and retch, but thankfully I didn’t throw up. I managed to get it in, with some water and decided that I was not talking any more of those things. Someone in boots, jeans and a lovely long wool coat jumped in to run with someone she knew and proclaimed, “this is grand isn’t it.” I had to sidestep her and nearly took a tumble. Putting all of my weight onto one leg wasn’t a good plan at that stage of the run!

I met friends at every mile from 21 onwards, they were all spaced out and my gym coach at 40km for the final push. It was amazing to see them and hear them cheering me on.

The rest of the marathon passed by in a blur, I kept going, weaving in and out as I needed to, focused only on getting to the finish. It was like a scene from the walking dead, people stumbling, others hunched over, some walking, lots cramping, a woman bleeding from her forehead and other disasters that I won’t describe. I too felt wrecked, my stomach was in bits, I still had a bit of a stitch and I was fed up of my shorts riding up. I was waiting and waiting for Heartbreak Hill and it didn’t even register with me, I was literally in a daze.

All of a sudden, I could see the finish line and a sign saying 400m to go, but it felt like 2km. I emptied what was left in the tank, literally fumes and made it onto the mat and finally over the line in a time of 4:10:07. I clung onto the barrier, I felt sick and the colour drained from my face. A lovely finisher helped me to steady myself and I was brought into the tent before I fainted. A drop of tea, water and a seat helped greatly. I phoned my husband, collected my medal, top and goodie bag and walked/stumbled for an age to meet him and the rest of my family. They had a pint of chocolate milk for me – OMG it was divine. My Mum and sister headed off home via Dundrum. My youngest child puked all over himself and the car on the way to Dublin that morning. Once he seen me, he was whisked off to Dundrum and then home. Truth be told, he was more excited about seeing Batman than me!

I love the bit I bolded. That's a really good way of looking at the halfway point. I also loved your report. Sorry you felt unwell near the end. The same thing happened me. I hope it didn't spoil what was a really great run. Congratulations.

Race report

Target time 3:55

Miles 1 - 13
    Had often run 13 miles in training but they never felt as bad as this to be honest. Pain in hips, glutes, back. Even stopped during first Mile to stretch my back as I'd forgotten to do so during warmup. Had to check myself a few times in first few miles too and through the park to slow pace down to 8:30 min miles. Upped it a bit then through Castleknock but coming to the halfway point I wasn't feeling great to be honest. Pace had slowed to 8:30min miles

Miles 13 - 21
    Started off bad but realised that I needed to bank some time ahead of mile 21/22 so upped pace again mostly making use of any slight downhill but coming to roebuck I knew my times were back on track at 7:50s per mile.

Miles 22 - 26
    Because I started in wave 4 I was passing people all day and I had just caught up with a big bunch of people which turned out to be the wave 4 pacers which was annoying as it was going to be awkward trying to pass them but fortunately we just turned on the N11 so I could run just outside the cones and move up easily.
    Really started to feel fresh at this stage and benefit from the banked slow times earlier. From there to the finish I really felt good and ran my 4 fastest miles of the whole race circa 7:40min miles.

Finishing time 3:33:35

Janey, the start of your report did not bode well for such a great finishing time! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Is it normal to lose weight this week - 5lbs since Sunday. I know my appetite has been off with home stuff affecting me but wondered if it might be to do with the marathon too. This is from someone who stayed the exact same weight f our the whole training block (ate rings around me!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Is it normal to lose weight this week - 5lbs since Sunday. I know my appetite has been off with home stuff affecting me but wondered if it might be to do with the marathon too. This is from someone who stayed the exact same weight for the whole training block (ate rings around me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Karlos80 wrote: »

After my first I felt like I needed about 5 days of nothing, these days (DCM was #7) 2-3 days of light walking and resting then recovery runs. The mental break of short easy runs in November will help too in terms of stopping you from getting burnt out. If you're in a club, maybe go with an easier paced/shorter distance group than usual, wear your t-shirt and enjoy a chatty run!

There's also the bragging rights of wearing your finisher shirt to parkrun on Saturday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

eabha19 wrote: »
    Is it normal to lose weight this week - 5lbs since Sunday. I know my appetite has been off with home stuff affecting me but wondered if it might be to do with the marathon too. This is from someone who stayed the exact same weight f our the whole training block (ate rings around me!)

I lost 3lbs from saturday morning to monday morning having also stayed the same throughout the training. I wonder has the stress at home along with the marathon contributed to the weight loss, maybe your metabolism has shifted slightly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Just popping in here before this thread gets unstickied.

I haven't posted here much (DCM 2016 Graduate) but just wanted to congratulate everyone on the training, and of course the marathon. I really enjoyed reading the reports, even though not all went as you had hoped - there will be better days to come. Your mentors did a wonderful job guiding you through the training - a pleasure to be able to see the results. Hopefully you will all stay with it, and have many more successful racing days. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

I was feeling much more human today (Thursday!). Legs are feeling good, but my toes are still a bit sore. I hope to get out for a very short run in the next day or two.

On the sore biceps, I personally get that a lot. For me I get it when my glutes aren't firing. It's probably normal to feel sore all over after 26.2 miles!!

Guys, some of the race reports are super and i'm so thrilled for you all. And some of the race reports that aren't as positive, I felt your pain and felt I was with you on every step of your races; the battling and will to keep going just shows the testament and strength of character that you have gained over the past few months. Aisling, I hope you're well and doing ok, you wear that medal with pride girl, you deserve it.

I'm delighted that we get first dibs on the 2020 race. I'll definitely be going back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Just wondering about the jingle bells 5km and the idea of trying for a PB at it.... are we more or less resting until then with easy runs only? So, the idea being that we are going for the PB based on the fitness we have accumulated up to now?

Would it be okay to start running again next week (next tues) or should we wait even longer? I dont mind waiting longer if needs be. I was thinking max 10miles per week, maybe 3 times per week. Maybe 2x3miles and a 4mile. Does that sound okay? Is that what we should be doing if we want to PB at that race? Thanks so much

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Just wondering about the jingle bells 5km and the idea of trying for a PB at it.... are we more or less resting until then with easy runs only? So, the idea being that we are going for the PB based on the fitness we have accumulated up to now?

Would it be okay to start running again next week (next tues) or should we wait even longer? I dont mind waiting longer if needs be. I was thinking max 10miles per week, maybe 3 times per week. Maybe 2x3miles and a 4mile. Does that sound okay? Is that what we should be doing if we want to PB at that race? Thanks so much

I'd keep it easy only for a few weeks yet anyway. Remember the "no hard days per mile raced" guideline, so nothing more than easy pace for 26 days post marathon.

I'd leave the running alone until the end of next week, even next weekend if you can. There's nothing to be gained from returning too soon, and your body needs the recovery as we mentioned yesterday.

After that, gradually ease back into it. A couple of 2-3 milers the following week, add another the week after. Then maybe once the 26 days are passed, introduce a session. You'll have loads of fitness built up over the last while for a crack at Jingle Bells. The grads thread will be along in a few weeks to guide ye through the next phase. For now, recover, then a few easy miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

So here it is.
    Predicted time 5.09
    Chip 508.57
    I had it in my head first 9 miles , run with my head, middle bit with my legs, and final miles with whatever I had left. During training I always struggled after 16 miles regardless of how slow I set out.

Positioned myself behind the 5hr balloon

Mile 1, no weaving, kept it steady . Did not let the crowd get me carried away, which is something I normally let happen.
    Mile 1 11.40
    Mile 2 10.57
    Mile 3 11.39
    Mile 4 10.47
    Mile 5 10.58
    Mile 6 11.04
    Mile 7 11.18 ( somewhere around these miles, I left the balloon. It was becoming a bit congested, I knew the balloon would pass me out further along.
    Mile 8 10.45
    Mile9 10.28
    Mile 10 10.53
    Mile 11 10.50
    Mile 12 10.48 ( remember feeling really strong around this time)
    Mile 13 10.53
    Mile 14 11.22
    Mile 15 11.20
    Mile 16 11.22 ( met some of my friends here, still feeling great, hugs exchanged)
    Mile 17 12.29( my back is starting to hurt, I have no pain killers
    Mile 18 12.06
    Mile 19 12.47
    Mile 20 12.18 ( met by brother here, said something along the lines of, I am never doing this again.
    Mile 21 13.08 ( pain still there, had to stop and put on some music to block the pain out). Red balloon passed me here, I think
    Mile 22 14.07 ( that bloody wall does exist)
    Mile 23 11.51 familiar road, my drive to work, knew I had not long to go, took up some speed here)
    Mile 24 11 54
    Mile 25 12.55
    Mile 26 12.51 my boys and husband here
    Mile 27 5.55 best feeling in the world

It was tough, will I do it again.? Yes but not still 2021.My focus now is to concentrate on my 10km, half marathons times and maybe come back to the full in 2021. Congrats to each and everyone of you. You are all great, along side our wonderful mentors Mr Guappa, Huzzah and Ree ReeG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

"never again" became "ok - maybe I'll do it again but I'm definitely not doing it next year"

Just signed up for 2020

• Advertisement

kyomi wrote: »

FINISH - 2:35
    Passed the 26 mile mark a good bit after my watch buzzed for 26 miles. Since just before we reached the canal I had started to feel like I might get sick, and I was just trying to hang on until the finish line. I did actually slow down a bit in an effort to spare my stomach - after all, I knew I had already done enough and I would get my sub-4 either way. About 100 metres from the finish line a girl stopped in front of me and started to throw up - I really hope she managed to get started again and made it across the line! I just kept going, and then I was on the blue carpet and I heard the announcer calling the name of my club as I approached. I did remember to look up and smile instead of looking down at my watch as I crossed the line. One of the organisers from my club was there and he came over and gave me a hug - I just collapsed in his arms. I think a lot of other people did the same, I'd say he was very sweaty by the time the race was over!

You remind me of me with your catastrophising (great word)!

That was a beautifully judged effort. Lovely racing. Congratulations!

Advertisement