Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

DCM ticket site started crashing out from 9am.
    Looks like demand for the remaining tickets is very high. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

kulekat wrote: »
    Thanks a mil. Ok, ill try slow up!! Ive never ran at anything slower than 6:50km b4, so it will be hard.

Any tips on slow running welcome!!

Not sure if I have any tips as such other than what I did which was to simply force myself to run slower. It sounds pretty straightforward but it took me some time before I really got the hang of it.
    I do agree with Kellygirl in trying it out on your own to start with and you need to almost ignore everything and everyone else around you.
    It will become second nature to you before long and when it does, you'll surprise yourself at how normal it feels.
    There could be a more scientific approach to it but that's the best way I have of putting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anyone able to get tickets this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Seems to have crashed alright am unable to get a ticket.

Entered my details and the ****en thing timed out, got stuck and would not load next page. **** of a website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Bit of a joke, seeing they let a number of their mates register yesterday morning on the qt.
    Would be interested to know which running clubs were tipped off about the "system testing" yesterday morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Got out for 3 days instead of 4, Wifes Aunt is very sick and passed away so it was a tough week. Travelling for work this week so i am going to try get out tonight and tomorrow before i fly out Wednesday.

Did you run the easy runs at an appropriate pace?

Yep done my short runs at 10:30 Mins/Mile and my LSR at 11:00 Mins/Mile. Found it very enjoyable at that pace. Altough it does seem very slow

Have been pressing F5 since 9am and just getting some variation of "This site can't be reached"

Went to get a cup of tea and when I did get through to something resembling a webpage I was presented with this:

Qe5gvy0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Have been pressing F5 since 9am and just getting some variation of "This site can't be reached"

Went to get a cup of tea and when I did get through to something resembling a webpage I was presented with this:

Qe5gvy0.jpg

Got that far and couldnt get any further.... said there was 53 tickets left. Very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 deniseve

I got the same. I wonder does that mean that all the 2500 extra places are all gone or that there's still some remaining?

• Advertisement

deniseve wrote: »
    I got the same. I wonder does that mean that all the 2500 extra places are all gone or that there's still some remaining?
    It's ambiguous, isn't it? The "All available registrations are currently reserved. Tickets may become available in some time. Please refresh." suggests that they're not all gone yet. They should announce that they're gone if they're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Week 1 review

Week one went well, did 25k over three runs, found run on sat difficult with heat, need to go out earlier in day. Also need to drink more water

Took it easy on all runs, hoping for 5hr or just under for marathon, doing lsr at 7;00 pace, and midweek runs at 6:45, would this be about right ?
    I did dream about marathon all night Friday night, dreamt I couldnt find start line, got lost etc! Had bit of a mental wobble thinking I wont be up to the challenge, but I'm just going to take it one run at a time .
    Here's to week two!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Just after refreshed for me. Says 432 tickets available but it wont allow me to proceed to payment:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

OMG - I left the page thinking all was lost... just went back for a check and I was now on the page to complete all details but only had 1 min left to do it all. Ran out of time. FFS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JoeCole26

OMG - I left the page thinking all was lost... just went back for a check and I was now on the page to complete all details but only had 1 min left to do it all. Ran out of time. FFS!!!!!

Ive got to that page a few times and either it didn't load the page fully or timed out. Looks like the whole website is down. Hoping it comes back online soon and i can get one then.

I got one thereafter filling out my details 4 times, i had 2 minutes to get everything in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Got one there now, crashed at payment but luckily it went through

I have to do it now though i got a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

I had 7 minutes to register. Filled it all out. Clicked Save. Prompted me to enter my phone number but there was no drop down list. Repeatedly tried to enter phone number but there was no drop down list. VERY ANNOYING

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Got sorted:D **** has got real now:pac:
    Hope everyone else gets there entry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Phew, got the ticket in the end, that was a very nerve jangling experience...

Managed them all bar dropping the strides on Mr. Guappa's advice
    :o
    No, I usually start slow enough but as the mind wanders I tend to speed up until I catch myself. Yesterday's recovery run was about right pace through Cork city, despite the holy mortifying shame of the slowness :D
    I'm keeping an eye on it and it should get better with time I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Bit of a joke, seeing they let a number of their mates register yesterday morning on the qt.
    Would be interested to know which running clubs were tipped off about the "system testing" yesterday morning....

I know it must be very frustrating for everyone but I think you know that you're barking up the wrong tree there with what you're suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Week one done and dusted.
    Here’s a quick summary for anyone interested. I think the paces are reasonable and hopefully an ok demonstration of slowly, slowly catchy monkey. A few extra miles because I was ahead of the plan mileage coming into this week.

For context, recent 5k time of 21.58.
    Monday - Recovery 3.17 miles @ 9.52 (a little quick for recovery but didn’t have a long run the day before.
    Tuesday - Easy 4.15 miles @ 9.29
    Wednesday - Easy 4.88 miles including 5x100 meters strides @ 9.51 (walk back recoveries for the strides pulled the average pace down a bit)
    Friday - Easy 4.05 miles @ 9.53
    Saturday - Recovery 3.15 miles @ 10.34
    Sunday - LSR 10.09 miles @ 10.06

I switched my rest day from Friday to Thursday and switched the LR to Sunday as it suited better this week.

Best of luck to everyone trying to get tickets today.

No joy so far after a solid morning of F5 pressing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

coogy wrote: »
    I know it must be very frustrating for everyone but I think you know that you're barking up the wrong tree there with what you're suggesting.

I don't have an interest in entering but it's very unfair on those who do.
    If they have put their hands up last night and said they've sold 1000 or more of the remaining entries at least people could set their expectations.

Funny how Cork Athletics groups had a chance to notify people about the secret testing time yesterday.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Yes.
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Yes. Easy runs at ~6:00/Km and lsr at ~6:30/Km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

No mystery DCM is run by a running club. People talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

If they have put their hands up last night and said they've sold 1000 or more of the remaining entries at least people could set their expectations.

Funny how Cork Athletics groups had a chance to notify people about the secret testing time yesterday.....

I am not a member of any club or secret society and found out via a running group forum open to the public which a friend had sent me a link to. The news spread fairly quickly (there was mention of it on the marathon’s own Facebook page)

According to their FB the event is now sold out.
    Good luck to all who got a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

It doesn't take long for word to spread these days with social media. A friend of mine, not affiliated with any club, got a place yesterday while he was just checking out the website to be prepared for today. He was straight on to our little WhatsApp running group in case anyone else wanted to enter... I was then straight on to my boards novice group from 2017... Skyblue kindly informed this thread and some other members of that group shared it with their other running family/friends...and so it goes. I genuinely don't think there was any sinister plan :)

This morning's technical glitches were very disappointing however, i'll grant you that, it's been a very nerve wracking morning for a lot of people.

Advertisement