Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It's not entirely clear from that post where you're currently at mileage wise, or over the past couple of months?

I'm very curious as to why you're doing Dublin, or indeed why you've now re-focussed on the running? If a spring marathon is the main goal, then the smarter plan at this stage may be to forget Dublin and build more gradually through the autumn and winter to a position where you can really give a training plan for a spring marathon your best effort.

That said, if you're determined to do Dublin I'd recommend taking a look at the Hal Higdon plan in the first post of this thread. I'd much rather see you follow a plan with a proven track record than a homemade plan!
    Never really stops focus on running just want able due to injury, i moved to another sport to improve flexibility and hopeful resolve the injury issues but kept running a little once I don't do session i don't have problems.

currently on about 24-25 miles per week , longest run has been 7 over the past couple of week. I do have a couple of other days training involved in another sport to will max my runs at 4/5 per week . HH plan would be very similar to what i'm doing , I have done a couple of marathon in the past and the reason I decided to do dublin is that it 20 years since my first.

Just run into work today so a nice 5.2 miles done for the day but long time since i've run at 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

py wrote: »
    Yup all runs done.

Yup.

Midweek runs
    1 -  5Km, 6:05/Km, 138 avg HR
    2 -  6.5Km,  6:10/Km, 152 avg HR
    3 -  5Km,  5:59/Km, 148 avg HR
    LSR
      8Km, 6:39/Km, 136 avg HR

Also had a 5 hour charity cycle after the LSR on Saturday. Kept the effort very light and had heart rate in Aerobic zone or lower for over 90% of the ride. Legs were a little tired yesterday but nothing close to having doms.

Training is progressing well. Motivation is still very high which is making it easy. Got a couple of trips coming up over the next month but I'll be packing my running gear to keep the training on track.

I'm not racing this weekend but best of luck to everyone doing the 10Km.

I think you can nudge those paces a bit easier again for the moment.

What's your plan race wise from here until DCM? I see you signed up for Donadea too... fair play! :pac:

morceli wrote: »
    Never really stops focus on running just want able due to injury, i moved to another sport to improve flexibility and hopeful resolve the injury issues but kept running a little once I don't do session i don't have problems.

currently on about 24-25 miles per week , longest run has been 7 over the past couple of week. I do have a couple of other days training involved in another sport to will max my runs at 4/5 per week . HH plan would be very similar to what i'm doing , I have done a couple of marathon in the past and the reason I decided to do dublin is that it 20 years since my first.

Just run into work today so a nice 5.2 miles done for the day but long time since i've run at 7am.

Ah ok, you're not in too bad shape so - your first post painted a much bleaker picture :)

Look to get yourself in a race over the next couple of weeks to give an indication of where you stand, and it will help with training paces. For now, keep the effort super easy (it should feel embarrassingly slow!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

I've just taken a look at your Strava and I think you are running all your runs too fast. I'd recommend pushing the easy paces closer to 13:00/mile for now. Best of luck on Sunday, and we can review paces again after that. :)

I tried to slow it down again this morning but it’s tricky staying slow going up the hills (my usual route is up a serious incline for the last mile). I’m not out of breath at all and my heart rate is not high at 1130ish min/mile and recovery is not an issue. I wasn’t even sweating this morning and it’s fairly “close” out there. I’ve never been fast but my endurance is strong (my race times are slow as I have a hard time not happily plodding along during races rather than speeding up!) I’ll continue to try to slow it down more though and try to speed it up at the 10k this weekend to see where I am race pace-wise. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

40% off SIS gels/energy bars/drinks on Wiggle at the moment - worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

40% off SIS gels/energy bars/drinks on Wiggle at the moment - worth a look.

I think I saw something about them being cheap on amazon.co.uk too due to prime day.

Rojo wrote: »
    Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

I did indeed, however, I did one of my easy runs on Friday. It wasn't the most enticing weather on Wednesday so I kidded myself into thinking I'd do it later on that day and lost any interest later that evening so I just need to keep that in mind for the future. I should either do the mid-week runs in the morning or lunch or there might be the propensity to skip/delay it!

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace

Settling into the running slow vibes... 09:30 - 10:00 per mile is what I have been doing. The latter part of the scale is the more appropriate pace.

After three weeks, how do you feel your training is progressing?

I'm loving seeing everyone's runs on Strava and I am really enjoying the training. For my cross training at the end of week 2, I cycled 75km with lots of hills and my legs were a bit tired last week as a result so I need to remember that I'm not superman and only do shorter spins. I'm thinking 20-25km roundtrip to Hawk Cliff in Dalkey and a dip in the water and back home then. :-)

Sounds like you learned a couple of valuable lessons about scheduling and cross-training this week so.

You have done well so far on taking it easy - still some room for improvement though. Keep everything above 10:00 minute miles - it will stand to you in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Ah ok, you're not in too bad shape so - your first post painted a much bleaker picture :)

Look to get yourself in a race over the next couple of weeks to give an indication of where you stand, and it will help with training paces. For now, keep the effort super easy (it should feel embarrassingly slow!)
    Weight wise i'm not in a great spot , but thanks that is the key for me keeping it very slow, no problem with been embarrassed :)

I think you can nudge those paces a bit easier again for the moment.

Another 10 seconds per Km? For both easy and LSR?
    What's your plan race wise from here until DCM?

I've signed up to Frank Duffy 10 mile in August and Dublin Half Marathon in September.
    I see you signed up for Donadea too... fair play! :pac:

In for a penny, in for a pound :p It's only another 8Km over the DCM. No training plans as yet for it, want to get through DCM and see how the body/mind is feeling before setting anything in stone. My thinking around it is that it'll keep me working through the dark months of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Quick question...

I didn't sign up for the South Dublin 10k. I had planned in my head to do my own "give it socks" run but Mr. Guappa has a 9 mile LSR in place for those not doing the race.

Which would be better for me to do? :-o

• Advertisement

Rojo wrote: »
    Quick question...

I didn't sign up for the South Dublin 10k. I had planned in my head to do my own "give it socks" run but Mr. Guappa has a 9 mile LSR in place for those not doing the race.

Which would be better for me to do? :-o

Do the 9 mile LSR. You'll never replicate a race effort on your own so it just ends up being a waste of energy with nothing useful learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Thanks a mil - good to know. :-)

Will sign up for the Frank Duffy 10 Mile Race so. Already have the DCHM booked!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Anyone here doing the Mullingar 10 mile on the 27th of July?

I had planned doing it but it's not going to happen now. Other family events taking priority.

It's a great race...very flat. Great atmosphere but usually very warm so make sure to be well hydrated.

Super spread at the end aswell :-)

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Am a little late posting about last weeks progress but delighted with how it went.

4 runs, including a strangely enjoyable 13m that I wasn't too stiff after. I did replace a 5th run with a light swim the sea though and a bit of stretching.

This week I'm down to race the 10k but going flat out leaves me stiff and sore for too long so I don't want to sacrifice the longer stuff next week. I like the saying of keeping the main thing the main thing. As a result I'll maybe go out to the race and just get through it at planned pace and continue on home from there!

Motivation still high and confidence high after the 13m. Took some gel and actually carried some water and managed to get through 750ml on the run without any I'll effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

We'll all have those weeks where events conspire against us and the running suffers. As you mention, best to forget it and look forward. As long as it's a rare occurrence you'll be fine - well done for getting out on Sunday. I think I saw a comment from yourself on Strava about being the world's worst stretcher? Maybe a bit of regular stretching and foam rolling is needed to keep the body in good nick? Best of luck in the 10k.

Thanks. Haha well spotted! I actually got the foam roller out of the shed a couple of weeks ago, I quickly remembered that I just don’t like it. I know myself I need to start making time for it though, along with some basic stretching.

py wrote: »
    Another 10 seconds per Km? For both easy and LSR?

Probably closer to 6:30 for easy, 6:45 for LSR. It's a tricky one because there is a decent drop off between your 5k and 10k times - might indicate that your endurance needs building (which I wouldn't have thought given your cycling background), or it could be that the 10k was just a bit of anomaly. Either way, drop the paces for now and we'll see where you are after the 10 miler.

I've signed up to Frank Duffy 10 mile in August and Dublin Half Marathon in September.
    Perfect
    In for a penny, in for a pound :p It's only another 8Km over the DCM. No training plans as yet for it, want to get through DCM and see how the body/mind is feeling before setting anything in stone. My thinking around it is that it'll keep me working through the dark months of winter.
    Haha - yeah it's good to have a motivation to get out over the winter months in fairness. Anyway, we'll take it one monumental challenge at a time :pac:

Probably closer to 6:30 for easy, 6:45 for LSR. It's a tricky one because there is a decent drop off between your 5k and 10k times - might indicate that your endurance needs building (which I wouldn't have thought given your cycling background), or it could be that the 10k was just a bit of anomaly. Either way, drop the paces for now and we'll see where you are after the 10 miler.

Noted. I was running more consistently earlier in the year when I got the 5K time whereas it had dropped off due to work/family/education commitments when the 10K came around in late April. Will slow it down. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Am a little late posting about last weeks progress but delighted with how it went.

4 runs, including a strangely enjoyable 13m that I wasn't too stiff after. I did replace a 5th run with a light swim the sea though and a bit of stretching.

This week I'm down to race the 10k but going flat out leaves me stiff and sore for too long so I don't want to sacrifice the longer stuff next week. I like the saying of keeping the main thing the main thing. As a result I'll maybe go out to the race and just get through it at planned pace and continue on home from there!

Motivation still high and confidence high after the 13m. Took some gel and actually carried some water and managed to get through 750ml on the run without any I'll effects.

I would race the 10k as fast as you can. It's part of the plan so I would stick to it. You'll be amazed how a recovery run ran at a slow pace will shake the stiffness & soreness out of your legs.

Races are put in the plans to build your endurance - so there will be runs when you'll start on tired legs! This mimics the latter stages of the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Morning all!

Hi Mr. Guappa, welcome back. :-)

I managed 26.2 miles last week. Did a long run by myself on Saturday and would have went for longer, but I had to get home for my husband to go training.

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?
    No - this is my biggest struggle. I don't really know my PMP yet and i'm not sure how to tailor my runs. It takes me ages to settle into a run; i feel like i'm going to die until I get to 5km, by 10km i'm motoring and then I can keep plodding along. I have tried to trust myself and see if I can pace myself, but my pace per mile goes up and down like crazy. That said, last Saturday I tried to stick to 6min per km, which I did quite well. Probably still too fast?

I've switched over to the boards plan and I am really enjoying the plan so far. This week is going to be challenging with work travel, but i'll do my best. Also I may be getting a wisdom tooth pulled this Thursday - my jaw is hopping.

I'm doing the Liberties 4 mile run Wednesday night, just as part of my training, I won't be going mental.

Did I see someone on Strava from Kilcock? I'm in Trim and I know some nice 10 mile and longer routes around Trim/Dunderry/Bective. If anyone wants to join me on a long run, i'd love the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Also tried a gel on Saturday with no adverse reactions. I'll keep going with them.

My biggest issue is nutrition. I don't think i'm eating enough, but i'm trying to address that this week. Everything is being tracked on My Fitness Pal and my gym coach is helping me with this. I'll report back!

• Advertisement

frash wrote: »
    Yes got them all in.
    I'm still ahead of the HHN1 plan distance wise and hope to keep ahead of the game as I've a 3 week holiday coming up in August.
    (Will still run on holiday).

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace
    Generally yes but this week wasn't great due to people calling lunchtime meetings :mad:

All good so far.
    I did have some doubts last week & toyed with the idea of moving to HHN2 but decided to stick with the 'slow & steady' approach of HHN1

If your window for a run is too short you would be better off cutting back the distance and keeping the pace easy, rather than speeding up to get the miles in.

Nice few weeks though. Keep it going!

Morning all!

Hi Mr. Guappa, welcome back. :-)

I managed 26.2 miles last week. Did a long run by myself on Saturday and would have went for longer, but I had to get home for my husband to go training.

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?
    No - this is my biggest struggle. I don't really know my PMP yet and i'm not sure how to tailor my runs. It takes me ages to settle into a run; i feel like i'm going to die until I get to 5km, by 10km i'm motoring and then I can keep plodding along. I have tried to trust myself and see if I can pace myself, but my pace per mile goes up and down like crazy. That said, last Saturday I tried to stick to 6min per km, which I did quite well. Probably still too fast?

I've switched over to the boards plan and I am really enjoying the plan so far. This week is going to be challenging with work travel, but i'll do my best. Also I may be getting a wisdom tooth pulled this Thursday - my jaw is hopping.

I'm doing the Liberties 4 mile run Wednesday night, just as part of my training, I won't be going mental.

Did I see someone on Strava from Kilcock? I'm in Trim and I know some nice 10 mile and longer routes around Trim/Dunderry/Bective. If anyone wants to join me on a long run, i'd love the company.

Yeah 6min/km is far too fast. That's PMP for a 4:15 marathon - easy runs can be a good minute per mile slower than PMP.

For now I'd put your PMP at roughly 6:15, so easy and long runs at 7:00 and above.

Hopefully going out slower will make the runs more enjoyable for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Oh thank you, my watch has started glitching a bit - its the Garmin Vivosmart active so pretty basic ( wanted to see how i got on with it before getting a more expensive one) with an offer like that i may just have to upgrade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Sorbet

Oh thank you, my watch has started glitching a bit - its the Garmin Vivosmart active so pretty basic ( wanted to see how i got on with it before getting a more expensive one) with an offer like that i may just have to upgrade :D

I'd recommend it - a great watch

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Thank you for the progress report Mr Guappa

See below my replies

Yes I got all my runs in. However I did need to push out my LSR by a day.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?
    No...my pace was too fast and I need to slow it down.

- After three weeks, how do you feel your training is progressing?

Feeling pretty strong overall.
    I have a niggle in my ankle not Achilles thankfully.
    Conscious that my runs are predominantly on hills.
    Really enjoying the running but do i my hydration and diet could improve.
    Also stretching is working wonders for me.

Thanks all.

Ps is the training plan this week not 3m for Thursday?

Soulsun wrote: »
    I have a niggle in my ankle not Achilles thankfully.
    Conscious that my runs are predominantly on hills

Are there any routes near you where you could run on grass? I run all my recovery and easy runs on grass as it's a lot easier on the legs

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Treviso wrote: »
    Are there any routes near you where you could run on grass? I run all my recovery and easy runs on grass as it's a lot easier on the legs

hey
    Yep there is grass...but it's pretty dry ground this time of year

hey
    Yep there is grass...but it's pretty dry ground this time of year

Would still be easier on the legs than tarmac or footpaths. Just to be clear, it should be an even surface. A couple of gaa/soccer pitches next to each other or similar. Wouldn't be chancing a farmers field full of potholes - break an ankle in the process. Whereabouts you located?

• Advertisement

Ps is the training plan this week not 3m for Thursday?

Hmmmm... Nice spot! I've taken a look at the official HH plan and it does indeed have 3m on the Thursday. Looking back through the boards version of that plan down the years and it seems to have been changed to 4m in 2017 when the 10k race was added to the plan.

It could be the case that if you're doing the 10k race then the Thursday is 4m, and if you're not doing the 10k then the Thursday is 3m. I'll try and find out for sure, but one mile is not going to make or break the training anyway :)

Advertisement