Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

All done according to "plan", although I swapped the LSR from Sunday to Saturday to allow for dinner and drinks on Saturday night.

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

I think so, although the effort levels on Wednesdays split tempo were a bit higher than I'd like. Will need to keep an eye on it.

After three weeks, how do you feel your training is progressing?

All going well so far. Looking forward to getting a proper benchmark with the 10k in Sunday.

Best of luck on Sunday... any target in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Welcome back Mr. Guppa.

Got 4 runs in (didn't do Sunday 3m rec)
    3.6 m easy @ 10:49
    5m easy @ 11:02
    5m easy @ 11:12
    13m LSR @ 11:35

For the most part yes. Keep having to pull myself back.

Very happy so far. Plan working out and do far so good.
    Looking forward to the Race series kicking off this weekend.

Arsenium wrote: »
    Week 3
    Bit of a weird week in fairness. Lots of mad stuff going on in work and flat out doing taxi service for the kids in the evening so it was a bit unstructured.
    Mon - Took a rest day.
    Tues - 5 miles at 9:26 / Mile. Supposed to be 3 miles easy but for some reason I went on my 5 mile loop and only realised it 2 miles from home !!
    Weds - 5 Miles - PMP - Mile 1 - 8:34. Mile 2 - 8:22, Mile 3 - 8:43, Mile 4 - 8:45, Mile 5 - 8:23.
    Thurs - Missed the run through various different work and family commitments.
    Fri - 13.13 mile LSR - 9:35 per mile.
    Sat - Rest. Planned for a cycle but didnt happen.
    Sun - 1Km swim, very easy.

I feel the training is going well. 5 days running accumulates very quickly. I had been tired in the legs recently but missing the easy run on Thursday made my legs feel very good on the long run on Friday. I know how important those easy miles are so I dont plan on missing very many of them

So came up a bit short mileage wise this week. Really enjoyed the long run to be honest. I was full sure of my HM route for the LSR and couldnt understand why I was only at 11.88 miles as I approached my house. Then remembered it wasnt the full 13.1 miles so I had to run another 0.6 miles past my house, then turn and come back....always difficult to do that !

Back into it in a full structure this week.
    Wont be doing the 10 miler in July now so looks like the DCHM and one of the 3/4's will be the only races I have between now and DCM!

You should slow all those runs down a touch. PMP 8:45, easy 9:45, LSR 10:00.

Try and leave more days between the midweek session and the LSR - they are the two hardest days on the plan, so leave time to recover in between. You can juggle the easy days around to accommodate if needed.

How come you did PMP miles instead of the hill session on the plan?

Which 3/4's are you looking at? It was mentioned last week that Longwood is not intended to be raced, it's more of an organised LSR for anyone doing DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Yes, all done. Could perhaps have found steeper hills for the hill repeats.
    The LSR was probably the most horrible run I've had in quite a while as a swarm of bees were pestering me throughout and I found out at about 9 mile that the vest I was wearing had poor wicking properties and got a bad dose of runner's nipple for the last few miles home. :(

Youch. It's a good idea to start thinking about what outfit you'll wear on the day, so as we get closer (and the weather gets cooler), you can try it out on a long run and make sure it's comfy. I remember wearing newish socks for a half and they chaffed something awful

KGC wrote: »
    - Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    Yes. 3 short and lsr

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?
    Probably still a bit too fast but slowing down, I promise!!!!!
    7.2km @ 6:32min/km
    8.8km @ 6:23min/km
    6.4km @ 6:30min/km (overall slower but the in "fast" last km just for the hell of it

LSR @ 6:43 min4km

- After three weeks, how do you feel your training is progressing?
    Going ok so far. Seeing the benefits of slowing down

It's more difficult to comment on your paces given that you've no recent race times to go off, but, if (BIG if) for the moment we assume that 4:30 is a realistic target time, then you are running most of your runs at around marathon pace. Slow down to at least 7:00 mins/km.

Do you have any races coming up?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Haha well spotted! I actually got the foam roller out of the shed a couple of weeks ago, I quickly remembered that I just don’t like it. I know myself I need to start making time for it though, along with some basic stretching.

Well it's made it out of the shed at least - that's progress I guess :)

It's definitely worth spending a few minutes per night getting to know it a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday... any target in mind?

I'm hoping for sub-42 but we'll see how it goes on the day. It looks like it could be fairly warm, possibly into the early 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

You should slow all those runs down a touch. PMP 8:45, easy 9:45, LSR 10:00.

Try and leave more days between the midweek session and the LSR - they are the two hardest days on the plan, so leave time to recover in between. You can juggle the easy days around to accommodate if needed.

How come you did PMP miles instead of the hill session on the plan?

Which 3/4's are you looking at? It was mentioned last week that Longwood is not intended to be raced, it's more of an organised LSR for anyone doing DCM.

Oh...I'm confused now. Is the Weds session not always at PMP? I thought the colour coding in the sheet was to dictate the pace for that session? So I thought the session was 5M at PMP with 5 hill sprints thrown in? I did the hill sprints at the end of the 5 miles on a hill close enough to where I finished.

I did Longwood a few years ago so I thought this year I would look at doing the one in Tarmonbarry. It's on Oct 6th, the same day as Longwood. A few friends did it last year and enjoyed it. When I say "race" I meant "official event" as I would plan to just use it as the last LSR in the plan.

Arsenium wrote: »
    Oh...I'm confused now. Is the Weds session not always at PMP? I thought the colour coding in the sheet was to dictate the pace for that session? So I thought the session was 5M at PMP with 5 hill sprints thrown in? I did the hill sprints at the end of the 5 miles on a hill close enough to where I finished.

I did Longwood a few years ago so I thought this year I would look at doing the one in Tarmonbarry. It's on Oct 6th, the same day as Longwood. A few friends did it last year and enjoyed it. When I say "race" I meant "official event" as I would plan to just use it as the last LSR in the plan.

I edited the plan recently as others were confused also, so check it out again. Any hill sessions or strides would be easy miles with the strides or hills added.

Perfect plan for the 3/4 - just wanted to make sure you weren't planning a flat out effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

It's more difficult to comment on your paces given that you've no recent race times to go off, but, if (BIG if) for the moment we assume that 4:30 is a realistic target time, then you are running most of your runs at around marathon pace. Slow down to at least 7:00 mins/km.

Do you have any races coming up?

I hadnt registered for any race until the 10mile in August. I could look out for a 10k over the next few weekends. I dont suppose a training 10k rather than a race will do?

your right about the paces being too fast but have been working on it and I dont plan on being near my current paces from now on.

• Advertisement

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    Welcome back Mr. Guppa.

Got 4 runs in (didn't do Sunday 3m rec)
    3.6 m easy @ 10:49
    5m easy @ 11:02
    5m easy @ 11:12
    13m LSR @ 11:35

For the most part yes. Keep having to pull myself back.

Very happy so far. Plan working out and do far so good.
    Looking forward to the Race series kicking off this weekend.

I think you should slow those paces down a touch for now - Easy > 11:30 and LSR > 11:45.

Best of luck at the weekend!

I hadnt registered for any race until the 10mile in August. I could look out for a 10k over the next few weekends. I dont suppose a training 10k rather than a race will do?

your right about the paces being too fast but have been working on it and I dont plan on being near my current paces from now on.

You're fine waiting for the 10 miler, no particular need to shoehorn in a 10k if you weren't planning one. I was just making sure you'll get in a build-up race at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Race predictions on a Garmin watch... should I take any heed of them at this point? The 5k seems too fast - the 10K looks spot on based on my time two months ago. Half marathon looks a good bit longer than I am expecting based on my 10 mile time. If it’s accurate - I may need a sleeping bag for the DCM...!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Race predictions on a Garmin watch... should I take any heed of them at this point? The 5k seems too fast - the 10K looks spot on based on my time two months ago. Half marathon looks a good bit longer than I am expecting based on my 10 mile time. If it’s accurate - I may need a sleeping bag for the DCM...!

Nope not accurate really - it would have me running a 3.15 marathon in the morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

I hadnt registered for any race until the 10mile in August. I could look out for a 10k over the next few weekends.

Not sure where you're based but there's a 10k on in Dun Laoghaire on the August Bank Holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Got home from work, straight into runners and off for my paced race. Came home feeling very smug until I realised I'd left it a mile short - did 3 miles PMP instead of 4! Raging!!

On the boards plan, is it a bad idea to do 6 runs in the week if the 6th is just an easy 3 miler. Was wondering about an easy run tomorrow, rest day on Friday and long run on Saturday but have already run Mon, Tues and Wed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

frash wrote: »
    Not sure where you're based but there's a 10k on in Dun Laoghaire on the August Bank Holiday

Cheers, would have liked to do that one but wont be able to get to it that weekend unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Had to do my run this evening as i couldn't fit it in at lunch! Felt comfortable running it & good afterwards except for the heat which was tough enough tonight as it was very heavy! Collected my race no & top today in work for the 10k on Sunday :D Best of luck to all racing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

frash wrote: »

Anyone done it? Doesn't look too hilly. Not sure if it would be too close to the Frank Duffy race later that month.

eabha19 wrote: »
    Got home from work, straight into runners and off for my paced race. Came home feeling very smug until I realised I'd left it a mile short - did 3 miles PMP instead of 4! Raging!!

On the boards plan, is it a bad idea to do 6 runs in the week if the 6th is just an easy 3 miler. Was wondering about an easy run tomorrow, rest day on Friday and long run on Saturday but have already run Mon, Tues and Wed.

Yeah that's fine, as long as it's very easy. There's an optional 6th day on the boards plan for a 3m recovery run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

py wrote:
    Anyone done it? Doesn't look too hilly. Not sure if it would be too close to the Frank Duffy race later that month.

I haven't done it, but I've heard its hilly enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I haven't done it, but I've heard its hilly enough...

Hard pass so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

py wrote: »

I’ve done it a few times (it’s my local!) and at the start there’s an incline going up from Dun Laoghaire towards Monkstown and then hills as you go back up towards Glenageary but then the last bit is downhill as you head back toward the coast with a slight incline to the finish. It definitely isn’t flat thats for sure but it’s a great race/challenging course with lots of support along the way.

py wrote: »

I'd think it would be too close yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Had to do my run this evening as i couldn't fit it in at lunch! Felt comfortable running it & good afterwards except for the heat which was tough enough tonight as it was very heavy! Collected my race no & top today in work for the 10k on Sunday :D Best of luck to all racing ;)

Could you collect tops for the 10k in advance? I didnt realise this. I will be up that way on Friday morning, can I collect then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

eabha19 wrote: »

I did the opposite - went and did 5 miles instead of 4. I guess I just saw 5s everywhere. At least I avoided the rain.

I only today realised (after 18 months of ownership :o) that my watch (FR35) has an average pace metric as well as an instantaneous pace metric.
    The average pace option is so much handier for trying to gauge overall pace over a distance. Using the instantaneous pace option I always ended up quicker than intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Would anyone have a link on strava to someone's marathon that was done around 3'20 / 3'30 pleawe? Would like to see the stats on it, like average heart rate and things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Could you collect tops for the 10k in advance? I didnt realise this. I will be up that way on Friday morning, can I collect then?

I work for SDCC & they have a group of us from work representing them so the top i was given isn't the official one...as far as i know they will only be given out at the event :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Would anyone have a link on strava to someone's marathon that was done around 3'20 / 3'30 pleawe? Would like to see the stats on it, like average heart rate and things.

I couldn't dig out Strava links but I've linked some race reports from DCM for those times. The logs here are a mine of info.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105132273&postcount=2701
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101540903&postcount=2167
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97520120&postcount=7636

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Are there any Half Marathons or 10 milers on in mid/end of August or the start of September on a Sunday? The Race series FD 10 and DCHM are both on Saturdays, which don't suit me for family reasons.

I can't do the Rock n Roll HM on the 11th of August, so I was looking for something a week or two after that in the Dublin/Kildare/Wicklow areas or thereabouts.

Cheers.

Advertisement