Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

smashiner wrote: »
    Are there any Half Marathons or 10 milers on in mid/end of August or the start of September on a Sunday? The Race series FD 10 and DCHM are both on Saturdays, which don't suit me for family reasons.

I can't do the Rock n Roll HM on the 11th of August, so I was looking for something a week or two after that in the Dublin/Kildare/Wicklow areas or thereabouts.

Cheers.

Hi Smashiner,

Its a bit out of your geographical area but Longford half is on August 25th. Its only an hour and a half trip from Dublin with motorway. Its a nice flat course too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Are there any Half Marathons or 10 milers on in mid/end of August or the start of September on a Sunday? The Race series FD 10 and DCHM are both on Saturdays, which don't suit me for family reasons.

I can't do the Rock n Roll HM on the 11th of August, so I was looking for something a week or two after that in the Dublin/Kildare/Wicklow areas or thereabouts.

Cheers.

Is Clonmel too far for you? Sunday 25th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Long shot, but are any of you based in West Cork? Or can anyone recommend some long routes? I have one safe 10km stretch, but I'm going to tire of it pretty fast. Anywhere around Clonakilty, Red Strand or Schull or Barleycove.

Liberties 4 mile was a nice route last night - my first time running that side of the city.

Looking forward to the 10km this Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Long shot, but are any of you based in West Cork? Or can anyone recommend some long routes? I have one safe 10km stretch, but I'm going to tire of it pretty fast. Anywhere around Clonakilty, Red Strand or Schull or Barleycove.

Liberties 4 mile was a nice route last night - my first time running that side of the city.

Goleen to Crookhaven and back is 10 miles along the coast.
    Stretch is out by heading around to Barleycove or Mizen Head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Is Clonmel too far for you? Sunday 25th August.

Thanks CBG and Mr G,
    I will have a look at these as driving early on Sunday morning for and hour/ hour and half is not really a problem. I did the Ferns HM a few years ago and it was a small (about 170 runners) and it was one of the best races that I ever did with great friendly atmosphere and banter at it.

I am just coming off the back of a bit of Triathlon training and did my first Olympic Tri in Wicklow 2 weeks ago and I am going to do a Sprint Tri in Kilkenny this weekend and then I promise that I will get into full DCM mode for the next 3 months :).

BTW cycling and swimming (and foam rollering) are great forms of cross training that compliments running. I find that going for a swim the day after an LSR really helps to iron out the creases in the body in a gentle way.

But I have to add there is no real substitute for getting 'running miles' into the legs.................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks CBG and Mr G,
    I will have a look at these as driving early on Sunday morning for and hour/ hour and half is not really a problem. I did the Ferns HM a few years ago and it was a small (about 170 runners) and it was one of the best races that I ever did with great friendly atmosphere and banter at it.

If the Wexford Welcome is what you're after, then the Oylgate half is on a Sunday - i've never done it, so I don't know what it's like.
    https://www.popupraces.ie/race/oylegate-10k-half-marathon-2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

There's some pretty decent walks / footpaths in and around Clonakilty
    e.g. this is all footpath with maybe two road crossing.
    (That's a remarkable amount of footpath for west Cork)
    Also Timoleague to Courtmacsherry is all path as well. That's some quick easy paths off the top of my head, If you are looking for more / longer let me know as some road running is unavoidable

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Sorbet

This is a novices thread but warning this is a seriously novice question.....

Running in the South Dublin 10k this Sunday - have never raced before and therefore have never run with a number. Any tips on how to stick it on? - have seen magnets in the running section of some shops but that feels like the little weights might annoy me banging around. Where can you buy small safety pins (not something I've ever looked out for before)!

As I say seriously newbie question but thought this was the place for it :o

frash wrote: »
    Goleen to Crookhaven and back is 10 miles along the coast.
    Stretch is out by heading around to Barleycove or Mizen Head.

Brilliant thank you!

• Advertisement

jackc101 wrote: »
    There's some pretty decent walks / footpaths in and around Clonakilty
    e.g. this is all footpath with maybe two road crossing.
    (That's a remarkable amount of footpath for west Cork)
    Also Timoleague to Courtmacsherry is all path as well. That's some quick easy paths off the top of my head, If you are looking for more / longer let me know as some road running is unavoidable

Thank you!

I did Timoleague to Courtmacsherry and back last week. Nice handy 10km.

Sorbet wrote: »

Running in the South Dublin 10k this Sunday - have never raced before and therefore have never run with a number. Any tips on how to stick it on? - have seen magnets in the running section of some shops but that feels like the little weights might annoy me banging around. Where can you buy small safety pins (not something I've ever looked out for before)!

Hi Sorbet,

You should have received some safety pins with your race numbers? If you didn't, you'll pick up packets of safety pins in places like Dealz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Would anyone have a link on strava to someone's marathon that was done around 3'20 / 3'30 pleawe? Would like to see the stats on it, like average heart rate and things.

a few years ago at this point, but here ya go:

https://www.strava.com/activities/212372897/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

smashiner wrote:

Tullamore HM 31 August

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Use all 4 pins provided at each corner and wear on your front.

Good luck and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Thank you!

I did Timoleague to Courtmacsherry and back last week. Nice handy 10km.

Okay, some options, 2.5 km lap of the lagoon in Rosscarbery here
    Part of the Surf Turf and tar route would be a good one, start in Rosscarbery and head to Ownahincha via the Warren beach but "substantial" hill with trail running in the middle, mostly quiet road & trails (the loop past Ownahincha is private, so drop that & not sure if the temp bridge is still there, so start & end at the red dot!)

If you want a few more suggestions let me know, don't want to be clogging this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I did a long run from Schull to Crook last September (I did about 18 miles iirc). It was stunning, but with no footpaths and a surprisingly busy road. I spent a lot of time swapping road sides (corners) and couldn't use headphones, listening for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

crisco10 wrote: »
    a few years ago at this point, but here ya go:

https://www.strava.com/activities/212372897/overview

Thanks to everyone who posted links, that's exactly what I was looking for. Now to read them and compare where I am at to them at the same point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thanks to everyone who posted links, that's exactly what I was looking for. Now to read them and compare where I am at to them at the same point.

To be honest I'm more than a little worried that you're getting too focused on target times. Don't worry about what other people have done, or are doing. Train to paces and a plan which is appropriate for where you are now. We can worry more about target times in 3 months time.

I've seen people who've just received a medal for completing their first marathon, and instead of being overjoyed at this fantastic achievement, they were devastated at missing out on some arbitrary goal by a few seconds or minutes. Do not let that be you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    To be honest I'm more than a little worried that you're getting too focused on target times. Don't worry about what other people have done, or are doing. Train to paces and a plan which is appropriate for where you are now. We can worry more about target times in 3 months time.

Definitely agree. Also worth noting that comparisons of heart rate and data like that at this stage (or at any stage for that matter) will really tell you very little. Some people could complete a marathon in 3 hours with an average HR of 170 and others could do it with an average HR of 130. It really doesn't tell you much about where you are at or where you need to be come marathon day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

I've seen people who've just received a medal for completing their first marathon, and instead of being overjoyed at this fantastic achievement, they were devastated at missing out on some arbitrary goal by a few seconds or minutes. Do not let that be you.

Completely agree, that is the way its coming across. I suppose in my head if my target time isn't achievable then I'd rather set a realistic aim rather than on the morning of or the week leading up to the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi Sorbet,

You should have received some safety pins with your race numbers? If you didn't, you'll pick up packets of safety pins in places like Dealz.
    aquinn wrote: »
    Use all 4 pins provided at each corner and wear on your front.

Good luck and enjoy.

There weren't any pins sent out in the envelopes and that reminds me, there weren't any sent out last year either.

They have loads of pins available on the morning of the race, but where they are located is kind of awkward to reach and is an unnecessary stress when you could be warming up instead, so I have just bought some myself to save the hassle.

Best of luck on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

One thing I'd urge you to do with both Singers and Murphs training logs (two excellent logs which you should read) is to pay particular attention to their easy run paces. All the race day stats are quite irrelevant, it's what they did to get there that is important. It enabled them to do those times. Singer has since dramatically improved on that time but he still runs easy miles a lot slower than you do. I don't want to speak for both but I think it's fair to say that they are firm believers in keeping easy runs easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Cheers.

The Kilcock 10 mile is on Sunday 18th August. Nice flat course with a good spread after. I've signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

skyblue46 wrote: »
    One thing I'd urge you to do with both Singers and Murphs training logs (two excellent logs which you should read) is to pay particular attention to their easy run paces. All the race day stats are quite irrelevant, it's what they did to get there that is important. It enabled them to do those times. Singer has since dramatically improved on that time but he still runs easy miles a lot slower than you do. I don't want to speak for both but I think it's fair to say that they are firm believers in keeping easy runs easy.

Haha, things have really turned around for me. At this time during the 2015 novices thread I was getting in trouble all the time for running too fast :)

I did listen though, and it worked - here's my peak training week 4 weeks out from my first DCM (the following week was similar enough), I ran 3:32 but most milage was around 9 minutes:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97182845&postcount=55

My peak week last year before running 3:09 wasn't that much different, most running being around 9/mile, with a bit more milage, and the mid-week session being more advanced: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057444230&page=82

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

skyblue46 wrote: »

I've been delving into these logs over the last couple of weeks and I've found them an absolutely invaluable source of reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Singer wrote: »
    Haha, things have really turned around for me. At this time during the 2015 novices thread I was getting in trouble all the time for running too fast :)

I did listen though, and it worked - here's my peak training week 4 weeks out from my first DCM (the following week was similar enough), I ran 3:32 but most milage was around 9 minutes:

My peak week last year before running 3:09 wasn't that much different, most running being around 9/mile, with a bit more milage, and the mid-week session being more advanced: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057444230&page=82

Some great reading in these! Your race reports are honest & helpful:D Will read more over the next few days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

Singer wrote: »

Brilliant reading in these threads - thanks for reposting and for giving this blowin to the thread some excellent and relevant background reading, and for more threads to support the train slow, run fast mantra. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

fatboyfin wrote: »
    Brilliant reading in these threads - thanks for reposting and for giving this blowin to the thread some excellent and relevant background reading, and for more threads to support the train slow, run fast mantra. Cheers.

Have to agree with everyone..they are a great read !

I reckon a really good documentary / movie / mini series could be made combining the novices thread (why are you running this?) and all the race reports (the fear, the nerves, the agony, the hill, the finish line, the cramps....). Maybe take 4 or 5 different people, each with varying ambitions and tie it all together on race day.

Right...Netflix here I come :-)

Oh..13 mile LSR in the morning...back to the real world for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

Arsenium wrote: »
    Have to agree with everyone..they are a great read !

Oh..13 mile LSR in the morning...back to the real world for me :)

Yeah, but rest day today!!! Result!

Advertisement