Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Arsenium wrote: »
    Have to agree with everyone..they are a great read !

I reckon a really good documentary / movie / mini series could be made combining the novices thread (why are you running this?) and all the race reports (the fear, the nerves, the agony, the hill, the finish line, the cramps....). Maybe take 4 or 5 different people, each with varying ambitions and tie it all together on race day.

Right...Netflix here I come :-)

Oh..13 mile LSR in the morning...back to the real world for me :)
    You've basically just described the documentary Spirit of the Marathon!
    Check it out if you can it's a great documentary.

There's also a great little mini documentary series on YouTube called Running Vancouver think it's about 6 or 7 episodes long. Here is the first episode, but they are all easily found on YouTube.
    https://youtu.be/aQzk6Zhjczk

And another one on YouTube is PBS Marathon Challenge basically also about a group of ordinary people training for a Marathon with various reasons for doing so. Apologies I dunno why it's not posting as a link but you could just copy and paste what I posted.
    PBS Marathon Challenge:
    https://youtu.be/3nUlCRtRVPA

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

100 days folks...!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

100 days folks...!

Yeah, just saw that on twitter getting real now.

I'll get more excited after tomorrow's long run. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

In the HHN1 plan, I'm not doing the SD10km tomorrow, will I just do an LSR of 10km today with Cross/ Rest tomorrow or is there something else I can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

rizzee wrote: »
    In the HHN1 plan, I'm not doing the SD10km tomorrow, will I just do an LSR of 10km today with Cross/ Rest tomorrow or is there something else I can do?

9m LSR. It's in the weeks schedule I posted last Sunday.

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

That's no problem, thanks.

I have the HHN1 plan as per post #1 Screenshot on my phone and a separate spreadsheet of an active log with all my distances and times to date hence the confusion.

Very enjoyable 13 miles this morning, felt 100 times better in the last 3 miles than the previous week. I put the difference down to having a bottle of water at 4 points of my run.

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck to all racing tomorrow. Hydrate well today and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Hi, just wondering are many doing Longwood 3/4 marathon ? Looks like great idea, I think I'd do it in 4 hours, but would be worried I would be over 4.5 hours cut off point

Looking forward to race tomorrow , just down road from me. Good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

pd79 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering are many doing Longwood 3/4 marathon ? Looks like great idea, I think I'd do it in 4 hours, but would be worried I would be over 4.5 hours cut off point

I’m on the phone, so I can’t link, but if you read up the thread a bit there’s some discussion on the pros and cons of doing the 3/4s marathon.

If you do decide to do it, it’s very important that you don’t race it. If you run it as an all-out effort, you won’t recover in time for DCM.

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Thanks again for that, just back from 15km, 1:32:54 , my longest ever run , really happy with it and feel fantastic, could've kept going if I'm honest. The next thing on my list is getting the gels sorted, sipped 750ml water with a scoop of power (Glucosamine I think will have to check again)

Now to get a decent meal in!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

I put half a sachet of tailwind in my water today but my water carrier is only 6 oz to fit into my fit belt so hard to say if it made any difference or not. On the positive side my stomach was fine which is something I'm worried about with gels. Anyone know if the powder supplements are sufficient for marathon running or do you really need the gels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

eabha19 wrote: »
    I put half a sachet of tailwind in my water today but my water carrier is only 6 oz to fit into my fit belt so hard to say if it made any difference or not. On the positive side my stomach was fine which is something I'm worried about with gels. Anyone know if the powder supplements are sufficient for marathon running or do you really need the gels?

If you have a support crew or don’t mind mixing on the course, then powder could work. It’s not very practical really.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Good luck to all racing tomorrow. Hydrate well today and enjoy!

As Huzzah! says, best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow. Race hard, but sensibly :). Work out a realistic target time and try pace yourself accordingly - don't get too carried away at the start!

I hope you all enjoy the race and get a positive result. If the race doesn't go as well as you hope - DON'T PANIC. Now is the time to make mistakes and learn lessons. Don't compare your progress and times to others.

I've been looking at some race reports from last year and it seems most people really liked the route and thought it was a great course. I found this post in another thread which indicates "It's mostly flat or slightly downhill until you hit the canal (around 7k mark) then it's a slight uphill drag. There is a short, sharp hill off the canal just after 9k." I believe that last year the water station was around the 6k mark in Clondalkin village.

Race details are here. The weather forecast looks like it should be pretty good for running tomorrow morning, with any rain hopefully holding off until the afternoon.

Unfortunately none of your mentors will be there, but if you recognise any of your fellow novices from strava do introduce yourself (it's never as awkward as you think :pac:)

Best of luck, and don't be skimpy with the details in your race reports!

rizzee wrote: »
    Thanks again for that, just back from 15km, 1:32:54 , my longest ever run , really happy with it and feel fantastic, could've kept going if I'm honest. The next thing on my list is getting the gels sorted, sipped 750ml water with a scoop of power (Glucosamine I think will have to check again)

Now to get a decent meal in!

Well done on the long run - it's a great buzz running farther than you've ever done before.

The only fly in the ointment is the pace. You ran that at about MP for a 4:20 marathon, which is far too fast. I know you've slowed down from last week, so well done - now slow down again :) Something like 6:45/km or slower would be more appropriate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

pd79 wrote: »

I'm signed up for Longwood pd79 :) It's nice and local for me.
    But, even at the time of signing up for it a few months ago, I intend to treat it as that final lsr before DCM... I kinda felt it'd be a more interesting way to get the 20 miles in!
    I know their pacers will run at 105% of your pmp... But to be honest, that might still be a bit hot for me. Won't know til we're closer to it, but I will stick with a slower pacer quite happily, or go it alone if need be to make sure I don't regret it afterwards.

Good luck to all with your first DCM Race Series 10km tomorrow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Good luck to all marathon novices tomorrow at the 10K!. Weather in the morning looks perfect, feels like we are properly on the road towards DCM 2019 now :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow! Don't forget to enjoy it!

Looking forward to plenty of race reports :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Best of luck to all the novices running in tomorrow's Race Series 10k, especially those of you who will be experiencing a race environment for the first time. Events like this are crucial to your preparation for DCM so try not to be too overwhelmed on the day.
    As Mr. Guappa said, if it doesn't go according to plan, don't fret and don't forget to enjoy the experience too!
    Run well!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Good luck to all in the 10k tomorrow. I ran it last year as a novice. It’s a lovely route. Enjoy ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Run Killarney 10K - Race Report

I don't want to be negative but I may as well be honest here and if I was to use one word to describe this race it would be - disappointment.

I was looking forward to the race as it was a chance to let the shackles off and push hard for a change and hopefully see some benefits from the previous few weeks easy running.

As such I was targeting a 45 minute 10K. I'd raced an 8K race three weeks previously @ 4.26/km and while obviously the 10K was longer I'd make the 45 if I could keep to an average of 4.30/km which didn't seem unreasonable.

My net finish was 46.14.
    The wheels came off early with the first km being 4.59. It felt however more like a 4.00 minute km. My main issue was trying to weave around other runners and even though I'd pushed up at the start line there was still quite a few slower runners blocking progress so I felt as if I was running on the spot waiting for a chance to get past them. Even allowing for that it still shouldn't have been that slow and I was in deficit already.

The second km was a bit better at 4.39. Still not where it needed to be but better. A slight uphill on the 3rd km brought it back down to 4.42 but the 4th, 5th and 6th were more where they needed to be at 4.33, 4.30 and 4.36 but these coincided with the downhill section of the course and I'd really need to be in the 4.2x pace to be clawing anything back.

At this stage I was coming into the 7th km and the route was merging back with the half marathon route so again it was like the start line and trying to find a way past the slower runners and walkers. In truth, even if the way was clear, I still wouldn't have made the 45 minute target but it didn't help.
    Also at this point I was beginning to feel tired and I'd lost the mental battle. KMs 7,8 and 9 slowed to 4.42, 4.50 and 4.51 respectively. Strava says the last "km" was 0.9 of a KM and gave a time of 4.27.

So, what went wrong and what would I do differently?
    Hmmm, I don't know although I do have a sore throat at the moment so not quite at 100% but it doesn't feel like it affects my running. One thing I would do differently is carry my own water bottle. Run Killarney went plastic-free this year handing out water in compostible cups and while that's all very laudable those cups are impossible to drink from while running.

Anyway time to chalk this one down. It happens. Plough on.

DeepBlue wrote:
    So, what went wrong and what would I do differently? Hmmm, I don't know although I do have a sore throat at the moment so not quite at 100% but it doesn't feel like it affects my running. One thing I would do differently is carry my own water bottle. Run Killarney went plastic-free this year handing out water in compostible cups and while that's all very laudable those cups are impossible to drink from while running.

Well done on the race regardless and thanks for sharing the report! Sounds like it was tough but you battled on so kudos for that. Also worth bearing in mind you accidentally did an extra MP mile during the week in that session..not sure how much you felt that run took out of you? Maybe not much but who knows, especially if you're coming down with something.
    Your attitude is right though, that's done with now and onwards with the training! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Supercell wrote: »
    Good luck to all marathon novices tomorrow at the 10K!. Weather in the morning looks perfect, feels like we are properly on the road towards DCM 2019 now :)

Both an exhilarating and terrifying thought!!

I ran the 10k last year. I'm attaching this link to my Garmin for anyone who is interested in the elevation of the course, but as mentioned it is pretty flat except for a bit of a drag along the canal at the end.

I also remember the first 2km or so (before you turn into the park) to be a bit boring, but once I got into the park from there until the canal is great - it flew by.
    My Garmin profile is usually private but have put it on public for this evening in case anyone wants to have a look at the route

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2871792615?share_unique_id=6

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Done the 9 miler today, longest run in a long time. Felt it went well apart from the toilet break at the end of mile 1! Even though I went twice before leaving the house. I only had one slice of toast before leaving.

Best of luck to those racing tomorrow
    Tried a gel for the first time at mile 5 and it went down well. I will need to figure out water for any run longer then that.

This marathon has got real this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Am actually so nervous about the morning. I want to do well and am nervous that I won't. Have been hydrating and will be going to sleep early. I'm from Clondalkin originally so I know the route fairly well. Am going to work out pacing for myself now. Should I stretch tonight? I had planned on doing some drills and strides as a warm up before the race. Good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

I have had to wean myself away from races... but I am doing the last of the Offaly road races in Birr in early August (5k) and will do the Tullamore Half Marathon end of August. Giving up the weekly parkruns until after the marathon in Dublin too. Would it be a very bad idea to go the Galway Bay half marathon around 5th October? Aside from Birr and Tullamore I don’t have any others as I am not doing the Dublin series. I did Roscommon 10 miles a couple of weeks ago.

I have had to wean myself away from races... but I am doing the last of the Offaly road races in Birr in early August (5k) and will do the Tullamore Half Marathon end of August. Giving up the weekly parkruns until after the marathon in Dublin too. Would it be a very bad idea to go the Galway Bay half marathon around 5th October? Aside from Birr and Tullamore I don’t have any others as I am not doing the Dublin series. I did Roscommon 10 miles a couple of weeks ago.

Are you located close to Tullamore?

Bananaleaf wrote:
    Am actually so nervous about the morning. I want to do well and am nervous that I won't. Have been hydrating and will be going to sleep early. I'm from Clondalkin originally so I know the route fairly well. Am going to work out pacing for myself now. Should I stretch tonight? I had planned on doing some drills and strides as a warm up before the race. Good idea?

Yes good to do the drills and strides tomorrow, no need to stretch tonight unless something is feeling particularly tight. You're possibly asleep already :) but try not to be too nervous - it's a hobby we all love so try enjoy it!

I would definitely not do that HM at start of October! Way too close to DCM to be racing. Tullamore HM will be plenty (and maybe see you there :) )

• Advertisement

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Run Killarney 10K - Race Report

I don't want to be negative but I may as well be honest here and if I was to use one word to describe this race it would be - disappointment.

I was looking forward to the race as it was a chance to let the shackles off and push hard for a change and hopefully see some benefits from the previous few weeks easy running.

As such I was targeting a 45 minute 10K. I'd raced an 8K race three weeks previously @ 4.26/km and while obviously the 10K was longer I'd make the 45 if I could keep to an average of 4.30/km which didn't seem unreasonable.

My net finish was 46.14.
    The wheels came off early with the first km being 4.59. It felt however more like a 4.00 minute km. My main issue was trying to weave around other runners and even though I'd pushed up at the start line there was still quite a few slower runners blocking progress so I felt as if I was running on the spot waiting for a chance to get past them. Even allowing for that it still shouldn't have been that slow and I was in deficit already.

The second km was a bit better at 4.39. Still not where it needed to be but better. A slight uphill on the 3rd km brought it back down to 4.42 but the 4th, 5th and 6th were more where they needed to be at 4.33, 4.30 and 4.36 but these coincided with the downhill section of the course and I'd really need to be in the 4.2x pace to be clawing anything back.

At this stage I was coming into the 7th km and the route was merging back with the half marathon route so again it was like the start line and trying to find a way past the slower runners and walkers. In truth, even if the way was clear, I still wouldn't have made the 45 minute target but it didn't help.
    Also at this point I was beginning to feel tired and I'd lost the mental battle. KMs 7,8 and 9 slowed to 4.42, 4.50 and 4.51 respectively. Strava says the last "km" was 0.9 of a KM and gave a time of 4.27.

So, what went wrong and what would I do differently?
    Hmmm, I don't know although I do have a sore throat at the moment so not quite at 100% but it doesn't feel like it affects my running. One thing I would do differently is carry my own water bottle. Run Killarney went plastic-free this year handing out water in compostible cups and while that's all very laudable those cups are impossible to drink from while running.

Anyway time to chalk this one down. It happens. Plough on.

Was that a PB?

I'm just looking back over your Strava for the last month or so. By and large, over the past 2-3 weeks, you've done a good job of training at appropriate paces and getting all your runs in. Good job recently, and keep at it.

On the other hand, you're not getting in enough rest days. You've done above and beyond what's required on the boards plan most weeks, as well as cycling the Ring of Kerry and two other cycles in the last fortnight of 65+ miles. Sometimes less is more.

Advertisement