Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Are you located close to Tullamore?

Yes I am outside Birr

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Yes I am outside Birr

Oh cool, I'm outside Clara. Just wondering if you know of any trail runs? Would like to do every couple of long runs off the roads and in different surfaces. Only one in aware of is lough boora.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Oh cool, I'm outside Clara. Just wondering if you know of any trail runs? Would like to do every couple of long runs off the roads and in different surfaces. Only one in aware of is lough boora.

There is a Track Attack Borrisoleigh Devils Bit run that was on yesterday. Also https://forestmarathon.com/ is in Portumna. The knockanree Parkrun is also quite challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I'm seeing some great results coming through on Strava. Don't forget to throw up a race report - they're a valuable exercise in analysing how your race went, what works for you and what doesn't.

As has been said, if you didn't have a great race, try not to dwell on it too much. Sometimes, it just isn't our day. Do have a think about what you would do differently next time. It might sound cliched but often, you learn more from the bad days than the good days.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

South Dublin 10k

I’ll start with the prep. Had a very lazy Saturday and wasn’t really hydrating during the day. Left my east run to the evening and started sipping a bottle of water with a zero tab before. Came back and ended up spending a good while in the garden cutting back a tree. Really not focused on getting hydrated again. Drank the bottle but not much more. Started to feel pretty worn out and headachy by 10.

Actually slept ok, but woke about 6.30am with a banging headache. Another hour before the alarm but wasn’t feeling any better when it went off, added to the headache was a bit of nausea and the sweats. Considered not running at all at that stage but decided to get up and about and see how things went.

Tummy not great and still a bit nauseous, took paracetamol and forced down a bagel with honey over the space of about an hour. I’m only about 15mins drive to the race start, so by 9.15 when I was ready to leave the head was feeling ok.

Decided I’d do a warmup mile when I got there and decide then to race or not. Absolutely blessed with the parking, directed to a spot right at the roundabout between the start and finish. Still felt overly sweaty and a bit weak for the warmup but it was ok. Plan then was to still aim for my A goal of 46.30 but to not push too hard if I wasn’t feeling it.

Lined up and I think a placed myself about right in the pen for my A goal. Congested at the start and was around 7.50 a mile pace rather than the 7.30 goal, but knew it would open out quickly. I was moving ok but really having to work to get anywhere close to goal pace. There was a decent downhill towards the end of mile one and into mile two and I was hitting the pace but by the middle of mile two I was staring to struggle. Mile one came in at 7.38, mile two at 7.49.

I was starting to feel a stiffness in my shin and ankle in mile 2, similar to something that happened in a few parkruns a few months ago. Not quite shin splints (I’ve had them before) but really uncomfortable. The slowdown continued in mile 3 and I had accepted it was going to be a tough slog to even get to the end. I really wanted to stop but it was too far to walk back! Mile 3 clocked in at 8.03.

I was dying for the drink station, I knew it was somewhere around 6k in the village. Took a cup and stepped onto the footpath, stopped to take a few proper sips and tried to get a stretch against a lamppost. Got going again but was struggling to even keep at planned marathon pace. Mile 4 came in at 8.52, slowest mile of the day as it included the stop.

Turn onto the canal came just after mile 4. It’s a slightly uphill drag all along and for the first half of it I was still feeling fairly awful. Loads of others taking walk breaks and struggling along here too. It’s a nice spot for a run, but couldn’t say I was enjoying it. Mile 5 in 8.44. Not sure if it was the uphill or maybe I relaxed and changed form a bit, but the stiffness and discomfort in the ankle/shin seems to work itself out along here.

Found myself starting to get into a slightly better rhythm again and I was passing more than getting passed for a change. Coming to the 9k and seeing 46.20 on my watch was a bit of a blow, considering that’s what I’d hoped to finish in more or less. Although it did give me a bit of a push on too. I was feeling relatively ok now, although not exactly flying. Came off the canal, up the steep bit and turned into the finishing area picking up a bit more pace. Mile 6 popped up at 8.21.

Didn’t have a huge amount for the finish and a few came flying past me but I was passing people too. 0.26 of a mile at 7.25 pace to the finish, even managed a tiny spurt at the end to take back a place I’d almost lost. Chip time of 51.22.

If you told me I wouldn’t break 50 before I’d have been really disappointed, but I’m ok about it now. I had a bad day, I could have opted out of running at all, I could have quit and walked it in, but I kept battling and even started to come around a bit before the end. I’ll take the ok finish as a sign that the aerobic fitness is there, even though Other things went wrong today.

Overall it was a really well organised event, a decent course, the t-shirt is ok, the few bits went down well and I think I’ve come out the other side largely unscathed. I’ll be more careful about my prep before the 10mile. If it’s another struggle I might have to reassess my marathon goals, but for now I’m writing today off as a bad day at the office and looking forward to getting straight back into training.

Seeing some great results on Strava, well done to everyone getting out there today and getting it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

South Dublin 10k

I’ll start with the prep. Had a very lazy Saturday and wasn’t really hydrating during the day. Left my east run to the evening and started sipping a bottle of water with a zero tab before. Came back and ended up spending a good while in the garden cutting back a tree. Really not focused on getting hydrated again. Drank the bottle but not much more. Started to feel pretty worn out and headachy by 10.

Actually slept ok, but woke about 6.30am with a banging headache. Another hour before the alarm but wasn’t feeling any better when it went off, added to the headache was a bit of nausea and the sweats. Considered not running at all at that stage but decided to get up and about and see how things went.

Tummy not great and still a bit nauseous, took paracetamol and forced down a bagel with honey over the space of about an hour. I’m only about 15mins drive to the race start, so by 9.15 when I was ready to leave the head was feeling ok.

Decided I’d do a warmup mile when I got there and decide then to race or not. Absolutely blessed with the parking, directed to a spot right at the roundabout between the start and finish. Still felt overly sweaty and a bit weak for the warmup but it was ok. Plan then was to still aim for my A goal of 46.30 but to not push too hard if I wasn’t feeling it.

Lined up and I think a placed myself about right in the pen for my A goal. Congested at the start and was around 7.50 a mile pace rather than the 7.30 goal, but knew it would open out quickly. I was moving ok but really having to work to get anywhere close to goal pace. There was a decent downhill towards the end of mile one and into mile two and I was hitting the pace but by the middle of mile two I was staring to struggle. Mile one came in at 7.38, mile two at 7.49.

I was starting to feel a stiffness in my shin and ankle in mile 2, similar to something that happened in a few parkruns a few months ago. Not quite shin splints (I’ve had them before) but really uncomfortable. The slowdown continued in mile 3 and I had accepted it was going to be a tough slog to even get to the end. I really wanted to stop but it was too far to walk back! Mile 3 clocked in at 8.03.

I was dying for the drink station, I knew it was somewhere around 6k in the village. Took a cup and stepped onto the footpath, stopped to take a few proper sips and tried to get a stretch against a lamppost. Got going again but was struggling to even keep at planned marathon pace. Mile 4 came in at 8.52, slowest mile of the day as it included the stop.

Turn onto the canal came just after mile 4. It’s a slightly uphill drag all along and for the first half of it I was still feeling fairly awful. Loads of others taking walk breaks and struggling along here too. It’s a nice spot for a run, but couldn’t say I was enjoying it. Mile 5 in 8.44. Not sure if it was the uphill or maybe I relaxed and changed form a bit, but the stiffness and discomfort in the ankle/shin seems to work itself out along here.

Found myself starting to get into a slightly better rhythm again and I was passing more than getting passed for a change. Coming to the 9k and seeing 46.20 on my watch was a bit of a blow, considering that’s what I’d hoped to finish in more or less. Although it did give me a bit of a push on too. I was feeling relatively ok now, although not exactly flying. Came off the canal, up the steep bit and turned into the finishing area picking up a bit more pace. Mile 6 popped up at 8.21.

Didn’t have a huge amount for the finish and a few came flying past me but I was passing people too. 0.26 of a mile at 7.25 pace to the finish, even managed a tiny spurt at the end to take back a place I’d almost lost. Chip time of 51.22.

If you told me I wouldn’t break 50 before I’d have been really disappointed, but I’m ok about it now. I had a bad day, I could have opted out of running at all, I could have quit and walked it in, but I kept battling and even started to come around a bit before the end. I’ll take the ok finish as a sign that the aerobic fitness is there, even though Other things went wrong today.

Overall it was a really well organised event, a decent course, the t-shirt is ok, the few bits went down well and I think I’ve come out the other side largely unscathed. I’ll be more careful about my prep before the 10mile. If it’s another struggle I might have to reassess my marathon goals, but for now I’m writing today off as a bad day at the office and looking forward to getting straight back into training.

Seeing some great results on Strava, well done to everyone getting out there today and getting it done.

Well done! You never gave up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Set out with the aim of keeping to 8 minute pm pace as I was afraid of my knee, which had surgery in May, not being able to take much faster so set off cautiously. After the first mile or so things felt fine there so sped it up to about 7:45'ish and kept it there for most of the race. The knee was only a bit sore for the last mile but nothing major.
    Not my fastest 10k by a long way but great to be out there participating so taking that as a win. Looking forward to the Dun Laoghaire 10k in a couple of weeks with my wife which is my local race, that will be a lot slower but great fun :)

Hope all the other novices out there enjoyed today as much as I did! Must admit when yer man on the tannoy at the start said that its only 90-something days to the big one my heart fluttered a bit!
    The gel belt in the goodie bag was a nice touch, that will come in useful for the LSR's in the coming weeks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Well done! You never gave up :)

I thought I spotted you at the start. Having seen strava now I know I did! You started just behind me with a couple of others in the same tops. You and the lads passed me around the end of the first mile I think. I knew you’d have a similar enough goal time to me, so if I’d been feeling anyway better I’d have tried to tag onto the three of ye. You were flying, congrats on the pb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Race report time!

Saturday race prep consisted of a few margaritas and fajitas with friends in town (pro planning right there!) but was home by 8 and to bed early-ish and drank plenty of water so felt hydrated and no worse for wear.

Woke up around 7 full of nervous energy. Had 1/2 bagel with natural peanut butter and a banana some coffee and water. I don’t usually eat anything before running since I usually train early in the morning but since the race was at 1030 felt I should.

Picked up my running pal and set out for Clondalkin. We sat in some traffic entering the race parking area but once in had no issues and made it to the start area with plenty of time. We started in the last wave which was crowded but everyone in good spirits. My friend is a good bit faster than me but was nice to cross the start line together before she went ahead.

The first kilometer was quite congested which suited me as I really didn’t want to go out too fast. My plan was to start around 1030 for the first mile and then pick up the pace.

As soon as we hit the park section (around 3k or so?) I felt really good and ready to speed up. The next few kilometers flew by and then got to the water station. It was really busy here with a lot of cups on the ground so made the decision to walk through this section and I also ate a wine gum simply because I had one and am thinking of using them in longer runs instead of Clif bloks.

After the water station it was onto the canal. This section went quickly although it was very congested again and hard to get around some of the multiple groups running 2-3 aside. It probably helped me not to go top speed here because when I got to 9k there was more space and I was able to finish strong.

I had no idea what I was able for today, but I was really hoping to come in under 1:02. My chip time was 1:01:07 and I couldn’t be happier. It’s the quickest 10k I’ve done since having my three kids and I know I am slow compared to most of you flyers here but for me, it was a huge confidence boost.

I thoroughly enjoyed the (super flat!) course and am grateful to all the organizers and volunteers for putting together such a great race.

Congrats to everyone here who took part today. Some super results on Strava... you guys are fast!!

Also I am a total convert to running without earphones now (at least for races!) I really think it helped me to stay present in the race and I enjoyed listening to the banter of the runners around me... and it was also my first time recording my run on Strava instead of just manually inputting it from my beloved Runkeeper so I hope I did it right!

Edited to add Splits:
    Mile 1 10:26
    Mile 2 9:58
    Mile 3 9:29
    Mile 4. 9:35
    Mile 5. 9:43
    Mile 6. 9:23
    Mile .3 8:08

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Congrats to everyone who raced over the weekend, some great results up in Strava and even better race reports so far (hopefully more to come).

For those that didn't get the results they were hoping for, you still put those race miles under your legs, which will count for a lot come DCM.

Recover well everyone - plenty of eating & drinking today to enable your body to recover

• Advertisement

I thought I spotted you at the start. Having seen strava now I know I did! You started just behind me with a couple of others in the same tops. You and the lads passed me around the end of the first mile I think. I knew you’d have a similar enough goal time to me, so if I’d been feeling anyway better I’d have tried to tag onto the three of ye. You were flying, congrats on the pb!

Aw really!! Yeah the tops were given to us in work so handy to get 2 free tops:) I lost the lads soon after that haha. I felt i prob could have done better timewise but really happy that it was the most consistent i have ever felt & at no stage did i feel knackered so i am taking a big huge positive from this :D Next time say hi :)

Race Report

So i had a busy day yesterday which left me not being able to do my 3m run till the evening then i found it hard to sleep last night so woke up not as rested as i'd like.

Traffic wasn't too bad but was sitting for a bit then i had to run from my car to my workmates for a few pics for the work website etc. I basically used this as my warm up.

I got quite close to the front as i remembered it being a nightmare last year trying to get through.Off we went & i felt good, the 1st 3k felt like i was being very consistent with my running which felt great. At this syage i think i was struggling a lot last year after taking off too hard! When i got to the park i felt really good so sped up a little & still felt good. Just after the park i felt the heat really getting to me & was really in need of the water but it was quite hard to drink properly out of the cup so drank what i could then poured the rest over me!

Turning onto the canal i mentally tried to get my thoughts of last year out of my head because i struggled so bad here & lost so much pace,not gonna lie it still felt like it was never gonna end but 100% i felt so much stronger!!! Coming up the bridge i decided to do strides which really helped me & i actually passed a good few people here :)

I knew the end was in sight & once i got into the business park i decided i still had a good bit in me so i sprinted as much as i could & had a strong finish:D

I finished in a time of 47m 10s knocking 3 secs off my last 10k so a PB for me :D

So being brutally honest i thought i would have or should have knocked more time off as i felt so good & consistent all the way around but my goal is DCM in Oct & from all the wonderful advice i have been given on here i really feel my running is better & more structured so cheers : D

Lastly big huge well done to all who ran today :D

As you can all guess from here & Strava i love my emojis haha ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

I made sure to hydrate lots Saturday (after a few bold glasses of wine Friday). I slept well and felt great the morning of. Had my usual breakie and headed off early to get parking and figure my way around as this was my first time doing this course.

Time wise I didn't really know what to expect given the slow training paces. I finished in 58:27 which is my 3rd fastest 10k (1.5 mins off my PB) - so I'm well happy with that.

I positioned myself close to the front of the 2nd wave. I was happy with the start, it didn't feel too congested and I slowed my 1st mile pace down a little compared to what I usually do. The first 3 miles were steady at 9 to 9:15 min/m which is what I had planned. My legs felt a bit heavy at the start. This disappeared as I hit mile 3. I started to struggle with the heat at this stage though so I slowed my pace. I was also aware of the need to conserve a bit for the drag coming.

The canal section was a little congested and there were some strong gusts of wind which made it feel very very long. I found some energy after the hill coming back into the business park for a strong fast finish (for me).

Overall I really enjoyed the course and race itself. I carried water with me and I'm glad I did. I badly needed it at times as it was quite warm and heavy out there.

Splits were:
    Mile 1 9:00
    Mile 2 9:15
    Mile 3 9:15
    Mile 4 9:38
    Mile 5 9:50
    Mile 6 9:33
    Mile .3 8:10

Well done to everyone who ran, some great results in Strava!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I wasn't sure what to aim for for this race. I knew I most likely wouldn't PB because I had ran quite a good 10km in Feb (57:22) and knew I didn't have it in me to go sub57. So, I would have been happy to get in in 57:XX but disappointed to be on my feet 59mins.

The week leading up to the race was stressful. I don't want to make excuses for myself, but my father underwent lung surgery on Friday. He is great and it was a planned procedure so we knew it was coming up. Therefore, not a shock, nothing sudden and the surgery went really well. But I was tired from it all. Despite that, I had a good night's sleep last night. I was knackered getting up though. It was a real struggle to get out of the bed and I just couldn't get going.

This meant that I was later than planned getting to Grange Castle, so I was panicking. I was still there in enough time to do a short warm up of drills and strides. Then on to the race.

I remember the 1st km being really quite easy. I began at 5:30min/km pace and was feeling good. It didn't feel like a struggle. However, I knew that the maths wouldn't be right if I stayed at this pace so I slowed it down. I am always so afraid of a DNF or running out of steam that I sometimes think I may be conservative to a fault. 1st km: 6:01.

The second km and a half was tougher. I was on that ring road a long time by now and I was willing the left turn into the park into my vision. I noticed that my breathing was still good here and I noted that although I had now sped up to under 6min kms, I was coping okay. 2nd km 5:47.

Once into the park, things felt good. The 3rd km is mostly downhill and the change of scene is most welcome. I did a body check and noticed my fists were clenched. This would become a regular occurrence for the remainder of the race. I unclenched them. 3rd km: 5:54

When I hit the 4th km marker I remember thinking to myself "I can't sustain this." I went from doubtful to pessimistic very, very quickly. Before this km was up I wanted to slow down, I wanted to stop, I wanted to walk off the course. I forced myself on. I remembered the words "Race hard but sensibly"
    I told myself that it wasn't sensible to slow down. I needed to push. Push I did. 4th km: 5:41

I don't know if this is cheating or not, but at 5km I took a caffeine gel. I wasn't sure if I needed it but didn't want to wait to find out. In hindsight, I don't think it did anything for me, because my problem seemed to be tired legs (an accumulation of miles from the plan) and an inability to catch much breath. I had a thought that maybe I need to book an appointment with my GP - this has been the second time this year this happened to me. I reassured myself that it was probably the humidity. It was very hot at this point. 5th km: 5:46

Once I turned left into Clondalkin there was a lovely breeze. Air! I knew water was coming but was horrified when I saw the cups :eek: Eco-friendly and all as they are, I had no time to waste, I couldn't stop, but going without the water was not an option. I would have to grab a cup and try my best. I got a bit in my mouth, a lot up my nose and most down my shoulders. Still, it was plenty. I was feeling very tired and I knew the worst of the route was yet to come ... 6th km: 5:53

Kms 7-9 were so tough. LOTS of people stopped on the canal to walk. There was a lovely man in a Waterstown Warriers top making lovely, encouraging comments to people who had stopped and, even though his words weren't directed at me, I pretended they were and aimed to at least try not to go slower than 6min/kms. It was really really hot here and no chance of air. A bit congested too. I thought to myself that the canal section would be much more palatable if there were crowds of supporters lining it. 7th km: 5:55, 8th km: 6:03, 9th km: 6:09

Okay, this was it. I reached the 9th km marker just at the end of the canal stretch and it was back out onto the road for a quick finish. Then I turned left and saw the little incline that I had totally forgotten about. I closed my eyes and went for it. Thinking about Roebuck Rd and mile 20 of DCM. "It's not a hill, it's not a hill, it's not a hill" "Pain is temporary" and what ReeReeG said to me last night: this is a hobby that we all love. Yes! You WANT to be here, remember that. I ran as hard as I could but it wasn't much. I was wrecked. It was hard to be disappointed at myself because I worked so hard from the very beginning, but I couldn't really believe my chip time was probably going to be 59mins. 10th km: 5:38

Because of the curve in the road towards the end, it took forever for the finish gantry to come into my view. I wanted to make a sprint for it but I didn't know how far I had to go and I had very little left in the tank. Not even the energy to glance at my watch. I crossed the line with a chip time of 58:54. Thank God for that!

In the end, I think I ran both hard and sensibly. I pushed myself. I gave myself a couple of stern talks throughout. I refused to allow myself to pull back unless it was necessary. However, I didn't feel like vomiting at the end. I didn't run myself into the ground. All kms were faster than PMP. I pushed myself enough to be happy with my performance, but not so much so that I won't be able for Tuesday's 4m easy. The show must go on. Keep the main thing, the main thing.

I'm going to warm up the water for a bath now :pac: Anything that even looks like an Epsom salt is getting flung in!

South Dublin 10k

How're you feeling now? Sounds like something more than just dehydration, although you've learnt a valuable lesson about hydrating well in race week. Sounds like you gave it your all, so no reason to be disappointed.

Recover well and mind that niggle. At a minimum, get foam rolling.

Doc76 wrote: »
    Race report time!

Saturday race prep consisted of a few margaritas and fajitas with friends in town (pro planning right there!) but was home by 8 and to bed early-ish and drank plenty of water so felt hydrated and no worse for wear.

Woke up around 7 full of nervous energy. Had 1/2 bagel with natural peanut butter and a banana some coffee and water. I don’t usually eat anything before running since I usually train early in the morning but since the race was at 1030 felt I should.

Picked up my running pal and set out for Clondalkin. We sat in some traffic entering the race parking area but once in had no issues and made it to the start area with plenty of time. We started in the last wave which was crowded but everyone in good spirits. My friend is a good bit faster than me but was nice to cross the start line together before she went ahead.

The first kilometer was quite congested which suited me as I really didn’t want to go out too fast. My plan was to start around 1030 for the first mile and then pick up the pace.

As soon as we hit the park section (around 3k or so?) I felt really good and ready to speed up. The next few kilometers flew by and then got to the water station. It was really busy here with a lot of cups on the ground so made the decision to walk through this section and I also ate a wine gum simply because I had one and am thinking of using them in longer runs instead of Clif bloks.

After the water station it was onto the canal. This section went quickly although it was very congested again and hard to get around some of the multiple groups running 2-3 aside. It probably helped me not to go top speed here because when I got to 9k there was more space and I was able to finish strong.

I had no idea what I was able for today, but I was really hoping to come in under 1:02. My chip time was 1:01:07 and I couldn’t be happier. It’s the quickest 10k I’ve done since having my three kids and I know I am slow compared to most of you flyers here but for me, it was a huge confidence boost.

I thoroughly enjoyed the (super flat!) course and am grateful to all the organizers and volunteers for putting together such a great race.

Congrats to everyone here who took part today. Some super results on Strava... you guys are fast!!

Also I am a total convert to running without earphones now (at least for races!) I really think it helped me to stay present in the race and I enjoyed listening to the banter of the runners around me... and it was also my first time recording my run on Strava instead of just manually inputting it from my beloved Runkeeper so I hope I did it right!

Edited to add Splits:
    Mile 1 10:26
    Mile 2 9:58
    Mile 3 9:29
    Mile 4. 9:35
    Mile 5. 9:43
    Mile 6. 9:23
    Mile .3 8:08

Margs sound like a perfect pre-race hydration strategy to me ;)

Just a couple of wee notes: you should start incorporating breakfast before training runs, even if it's just before long runs. It's not really recommended to try anything new on race day.

Can I ask why wine gums over Clif Bloks or gels? If you want to go this route, you'll just need to make sure you're getting enough calories on board on race day.

Lovely splits. Congratulations on a well-managed race.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Well done everyone. Today went ok for me, found it hard to speed up after all the easy runs. Found first few km good , but heat def got to me . I also never drink enough water. I drank only 500ml of water the day before ��I know this is something I have to sort out. I ran with my sister , who struggled a bit. I pushed a bit for last 2 km and felt u has bit left. So although I was bit disappointed with 1 :03 ,( I did this in 56 mins couple of years ago) I was happy that at no point did I feel too bad. And I'm always grateful to finish race in one piece and to experience atmosphere of race day .
    Splits
    6:37
    6:25
    6:23
    6:12
    6:30
    6:16
    6:25
    6:46
    6:17
    5:52

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Anyone know company which were doing water in reusable cups at finish ? Great idea, the amount of plastic at races makes me feel awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Margs sound like a perfect pre-race hydration strategy to me ;)

Just a couple of wee notes: you should start incorporating breakfast before training runs, even if it's just before long runs. It's not really recommended to try anything new on race day.

Can I ask why wine gums over Clif Bloks or gels? If you want to go this route, you'll just need to make sure you're getting enough calories on board on race day.

Lovely splits. Congratulations on a well-managed race.

Thanks! I definitely think eating before running this morning was beneficial. I felt really strong the whole race and very well afterwards which I attribute to being properly fueled and hydrated. I’ll work on continuing that especially as the long runs get longer! And the wine gum thing was just a little experiment (I usually would only take water on for a 10k). I might carry a few during long runs (in addition to gels... I got some High 5 aqua gels which I might try during this week’s LSR.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Well done to all who raced this weekend, was great to see all those race times come in on my Strava feed.

This is probably going to look like a race report but it's not. :D I didn't race this weekend but did get out for my LSR. Ran about 17Km (few Km longer than planned) and it was my first chance to test out my water/food strategy. I've prior experience of fuelling on the go having done many cycles (upwards of 50) where it's been required due to distance or duration in the saddle. I'd picked up a Camelbak hydration pack in the past few weeks so this was my first chance to try it out. The model I picked up has storage in the shoulder straps so I can store fuel in there for the runs which is easy to access. I also opted for a bright coloured pack as I intend on using it in the winter time when it's going to easier to see then a dark black bag. Happy with how easy it is to use from a hydration pov. Took a bit of fidgeting with to get it filled but was fine after doing it a few times. I mixed a 2 litre bottle of water with a couple of electrolyte tablets the night before as I wanted to have it mixed prior to filling the pack up instead of adding the tablets in to the pack and potentially having some of the tablet sit at the bottom. Couple of pockets in the pack that can store keys/phone and emergency carbs just in case. Need to remember to remove anr within the water lung/pouch to avoid the sloshing sound but wasn't too bad.

Hopefully the following will help people out if they're new to fuelling on the move or in need of some alternative suggestions. If you've any questions or corrections please shout.

What to eat:
    I've tried a wide variety of foods on the move including gels, cereal bars (nutrigrain, nature valley), bananas and much more. I'll still bring bananas out on a cycle but they're a bit bulky for running with and probably get a few odd looks if they're in your shorts pocket :P. The bars I've settled on in the last year or two are Nakd bars and this is what I'll be mainly using during my LSR and races. They're full of natural ingredients which you can actually pronounce unlike some of those that are in other bars for fuelling. Very easy on the stomach, never had an issue with them and they're quite a compact bar too. They're vegan friendly too if that's your thing. Great flavours to try are blueberry muffin, cocao orange and cocao delight as they're quite moist so don't require chugging water to wash down. Someone mentioned wine gums today, I've used them in the past and they're fine. More so for the little positive mental perk of having some sweets whilst exercising. I've often kept them hidden away on a cycle till I'm in the midst or at the end of a tough section when morale can be a tad low and they perk you right back up. I would not however use them to fuel myself the whole way around on any event.

How to eat:
    Prep your fuel the night before. Lay it out and ensure you've enough for the type of run you're going to undertake the next day. Your LSR of 10 miles requires a substantially different amount of fuel compared to a 10 mile race. It's going to take a bit of guess work if you're not racing that often as to how different it is for you personally but aim to have more so you're not relying on the water/fuel stands at the race. As you're packing your fuel for the day, prep the fuel so it can be consumed easily. I will open any bars I'm going to consume out on a ride/run so that I'm not struggling to open on the move. You'll also open them cleaner then when you're on the move when it's possible for a small bit of the wrapper to fly off and accidentally litter. This may or may not be possible with gels and will depend on how you're carrying them. Digesting food can take longer when exercising (citation needed, will follow up with link) so I've been opting for single bites/nibbles every alert and it's served me well in terms of energy levels and avoiding stomach issues.

When to eat:
    Avoid (if possible) fuelling on the way up a hill. Your legs, heart and lungs will be working that bit harder than on the flats so if you start eating your oxygen intake will be lower as you focus on chewing instead of breathing and you'll see an increase in your HR which may cause some panic if you're running to HR. My Garmin has built in alerts so I can set it to alert me after a set number of kilometres or minutes. It's useful to have this as a reminder to eat as it's very easy to get caught up in the atmosphere of an event or being too focused on the road. In addition to the reminders, it's a good idea to plan extra fuelling points within your race. If you know that at a set point in the race there's going to be a touch section (ie. Heartbreak hill) then you should start fuelling for that about 30 minutes or 5Km (or whatever you think, just give yourself plenty of time to digest that fuel) in advance of reaching that point.

Fluids:
    Similar to my approach with food consumption, I tend to sip on water little and often as opposed to big gulps which I find works for me. I'm a firm believer in using electrolyte based fluids during and after a long cycle/run, doubly so in hot weather. I've also used carb based powders mixed in to my water bottles when cycling and I plan on trying this out for the runs too. I've used the Science in Sport "Go" product for cycling but I'm going to look for a combo of electrolytes and carbs for the running I think. With the DCM I was originally planning on asking the OH + kids to be on standby midway around with an extra electrolyte and carb bottle but instead I opted for the hydration pack as you just never know what sort of wildcard kids can throw at a parent on the day which could leave me high and dry midway through.

One last thing. If you bring fuel which has a wrapper out with you, please bring it back with you or dispose of it in the bins on the route. Sure it's probably messy and has food residue on it but putting it back in your shorts/shirt/belt/bag is better than throwing it on the ground. Your shorts/shirt/belt/bag are probably going to get a wash after the run/race anyway.

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    How're you feeling now? Sounds like something more than just dehydration, although you've learnt a valuable lesson about hydrating well in race week. Sounds like you gave it your all, so no reason to be disappointed.

Recover well and mind that niggle. At a minimum, get foam rolling.

Feel ok in general if a bit tired. I felt awful for the long run last week too. It’s been a particularly busy couple of weeks in work so probably more stressed than usual and maybe a bit run down. I could do with improving the diet a bit. I actually did a bit of foam rolling and stretching last night. My quads were incredibly tender, so I’ll need to keep it up. Half suspicious that the unaccustomed foam rolling contributed to the aches in the foot/shin! Although it’s much more likely it’s a symptom of my calves getting tight again and if I don’t keep working on them I’m probably on the road to shin splints again.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

jackc101 wrote: »
    Okay, some options, 2.5 km lap of the lagoon in Rosscarbery here
    Part of the Surf Turf and tar route would be a good one, start in Rosscarbery and head to Ownahincha via the Warren beach but "substantial" hill with trail running in the middle, mostly quiet road & trails (the loop past Ownahincha is private, so drop that & not sure if the temp bridge is still there, so start & end at the red dot!)

If you want a few more suggestions let me know, don't want to be clogging this thread

Thank you so much! I’ll PM you and avoid boring others to tears!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Week 5 :)

Less than 100 days to go :eek: - the weeks are really flying by now. This week saw us pass the first major landmark on the plans - the South Dublin 10k. Some great performances out there this morning, and some quality reports too! (Not forgetting Edenderry or Killarney either!) Keep the reports coming. If things didn't go as you'd hoped, don't worry about it. This was not the target race, we're mid-plan, we weren't peaking for this race and we haven't been doing 10k-specific training.

There was a noticeable improvement from many of you in running at appropriately easy paces in week 3. Well done on that - you will reap the benefits down the road. Some of you still need to slow it down, but don't worry - we'll stay on your case :D

We won't forget those of you who didn't race this weekend - your time in the limelight will come :cool:. There was lots of strong weeks put down by all of you - well done!

The weekly reviews seem to be proving popular, and they are very useful for us mentors in identifying potential areas for improvement in your training.
    - Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    - Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?
    - Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon yet? :pac:

As always, the thread is open to new recruits. I notice a number of people in the queue to join the strava group - drop myself (or ReeReeG/Huzzah!) a PM with your strava name and we'll accept you. The group is here.

There's no time to rest on your laurels as we press on with week 5:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    HHN1|rest|3m easy|5m easy|3m easy|rest|10m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|6m easy with 5 x 100m strides|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|15m lsr|3m rec

As you'll notice, there are sizable increases in mileage for both plans this week, with the Hal Higdon long run hitting double figures for the first time. This will be unchartered territory for many of you - keep the paces easy as advised and you'll have no problems. Any queries or otherwise - just ask! Once again the boards crew have strides this week - the majority of the run should be at easy pace with the strides ideally towards the end. Keep the strides controlled - they should not be a flat out sprint. Focus on form, relaxing the shoulders, and importantly allowing full recovery between strides.

Just to refresh you on strides:
    Strides are a running drill which will get you used to picking up the pace on tired legs without leaving your legs wrecked! In this case the strides prescribed should be 100m or 20-30 seconds long. We recommend you do the strides towards the end of your run preferably on a flat stretch of even road. These are not intended to induce fatigue, so allow for full recovery after each before attempting the next one. Jogging back to the start after each stride should allow sufficient recovery, but take longer if required. You can include these in the prescribed mileage or you can add them on as a little bit extra - either option is ok.

Each stride consists of 3 equal parts:
    - controlled acceleration
    - sustained speed of up to 90% of your max speed
    - controlled deceleration

The important thing is to focus on form throughout; stay relaxed & run tall, watch that the shoulders aren’t being hunched/tensed up! Remember these are not a sprint, you should feel in control!

Best of luck with the week ahead, and congratulations again to those who raced over the weekend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Well done to everyone on a busy day today! Great to see how everyone did on Strava :) Fantastic to see some PBs too :)

I did the Edenderry AC 10 mile race today. It's 2 weeks since I did my first HM, and that was a slow, steady affair as I decided to run it at a compromise pace that would keep my heart rate low (though not as low as training runs), but also let me pick the pace up a bit... a long, slow-ish run! Lots of Speedy Gonzales' in this Boards Novices group... I'm not one of them :P

For this 10 miler, I had sort of planned much the same again. Then Mr. Guappa said to go for it... race it! Wah! I have never pushed myself for further than a 10k race before, and wasn't sure I could maintain any sort of speed over the greater distance. I've also never run with pacers before... the slowest pacer group in that HM a couple of weeks ago was too fast for me. For context, my average pace in the recent HM was 11:33 mins/mile. I did the Women's Mini Marathon on June 2nd at 10:05 mins/mile.
    The final pacer group today was for 1 hr 50 mins. 11 mins per mile. My training runs have all started coming in at under 12 min/mile lately, so I felt this would be a safe pace to start, knowing the first 6.5 miles of the course was mostly a long, long gradual uphill drag. I felt I could finish in 1:50, hoped I could finish around 1:45.
    I took off deliberately steady at the front of the 1:50 pacer group, and almost immediately realised two things. First, I was feeling really comfortable, and second, I left those pacers behind :o
    Around the first corner, and the big, steep hill climbing out of Edenderry loomed ahead. I've run this hill a few times now in Darkness Into Light... I was up near the top and at the mile marker in 9:55! That caused a double take I tells ya, I felt really comfortable and barely noticed the hill.
    Imagine my surprise when I was enjoying one of very few downhill bits shortly after the 1 mile mark, when I spotted the 1hr 40 pacers only a few hundred meters ahead! Really? This doesn't happen to me these days! I don't catch up with people! Feeling strong, I decided I'd take my time and hopefully eventually catch them.

Mile 2: 9:35 mins :)
    Mile 3: 9:56 mins

And just after the Mile 3 marker, I caught them! Yay! This made the following miles much easier, as I knew I didn't have to worry about checking my pace any more. I also knew the next few miles were going to be tough... a long, long drag with a coupe of humpy canal bridges to sap you. We lost a few from the group along the way.

Mile 4: 10:00 mins
    Mile 5: 10:06 mins
    Mile 6: 10:02 mins.
    I hadn't planned on taking a gel at all, but around now, I thought feckit, you have one with you, take it. You might need it. Glad I did!

Mile 7: 10:19 mins... perhaps the most punishing climb because the wind really whipped up here, right into our faces. Legs were starting to feel tired now. But, alleluia, for the first time in 5 miles, a turn back towards Edenderry bringing us downhill back down to the canal and the wind at our backs. Much needed reprieve.

Mile 8: 10:20 Feeling tired but okay.

Mile 9: 10:22 Oh jesus... a sharp turn back up a steep, all-too-long hill. I know these roads like the back of my hand, I drive them every day... but I hadn't bargained for the slopes when you're out there on foot! I thought I was banjaxed here. Myself and another girl from the 1:40 pacer group started to fall back from them a little bit, such a struggle. This was where I knew I had to really dig deep because I knew there was a long, lovely downhill final mile. Encouraging the girl on, as much for myself as for her, we got back up to the pacers, just as we got to the top of that bloody hill.. Now, the pacers shouted at us, go go go! Don't wait for us! Go!
    The only thing carrying me forward now was gravity :pac: I could hear the pacers' voices getting fainter, encouraging the other girl to keep going, occasionally shouting at the rest of us to run, run, run.

A finisher at the bottom of the hill shouted "400m to go"... I'm so tired, but 400 meters? I can do that, can't I? Around the corner, there's my husband who's stewarding 150m from the finish. He almost missed me, not expecting me to be with the 1:40 pacers... Another finisher's voice shouts "30 more seconds to make 1:40, go, go, go! And I sprinted. Where the hell did that energy come out of?!
    Mile 10: 9:07 mins :D

Chip time: 1:39:30.
    Average pace: 9:58 mins/mile
    For the record, average heart rate was 166bpm, with very little variation throughout really.

De-feckin-lighted! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

DBB wrote: »
    Well done to everyone on a busy day today! Great to see how everyone did on Strava :) Fantastic to see some PBs too :)

I did the Edenderry AC 10 mile race today. It's 2 weeks since I did my first HM, and that was a slow, steady affair as I decided to run it at a compromise pace that would keep my heart rate low (though not as low as training runs), but also let me pick the pace up a bit... a long, slow-ish run! Lots of Speedy Gonzales' in this Boards Novices group... I'm not one of them :P

For this 10 miler, I had sort of planned much the same again. Then Mr. Guappa said to go for it... race it! Wah! I have never pushed myself for further than a 10k race before, and wasn't sure I could maintain any sort of speed over the greater distance. I've also never run with pacers before... the slowest pacer group in that HM a couple of weeks ago was too fast for me. For context, my average pace in the recent HM was 11:33 mins/mile. I did the Women's Mini Marathon on June 2nd at 10:05 mins/mile.
    The final pacer group today was for 1 hr 50 mins. 11 mins per mile. My training runs have all started coming in at under 12 min/mile lately, so I felt this would be a safe pace to start, knowing the first 6.5 miles of the course was mostly a long, long gradual uphill drag. I felt I could finish in 1:50, hoped I could finish around 1:45.
    I took off deliberately steady at the front of the 1:50 pacer group, and almost immediately realised two things. First, I was feeling really comfortable, and second, I left those pacers behind :o
    Around the first corner, and the big, steep hill climbing out of Edenderry loomed ahead. I've run this hill a few times now in Darkness Into Light... I was up near the top and at the mile marker in 9:55! That caused a double take I tells ya, I felt really comfortable and barely noticed the hill.
    Imagine my surprise when I was enjoying one of very few downhill bits shortly after the 1 mile mark, when I spotted the 1hr 40 pacers only a few hundred meters ahead! Really? This doesn't happen to me these days! I don't catch up with people! Feeling strong, I decided I'd take my time and hopefully eventually catch them.

Mile 2: 9:35 mins :)
    Mile 3: 9:56 mins

And just after the Mile 3 marker, I caught them! Yay! This made the following miles much easier, as I knew I didn't have to worry about checking my pace any more. I also knew the next few miles were going to be tough... a long, long drag with a coupe of humpy canal bridges to sap you. We lost a few from the group along the way.

Mile 4: 10:00 mins
    Mile 5: 10:06 mins
    Mile 6: 10:02 mins.
    I hadn't planned on taking a gel at all, but around now, I thought feckit, you have one with you, take it. You might need it. Glad I did!

Mile 7: 10:19 mins... perhaps the most punishing climb because the wind really whipped up here, right into our faces. Legs were starting to feel tired now. But, alleluia, for the first time in 5 miles, a turn back towards Edenderry bringing us downhill back down to the canal and the wind at our backs. Much needed reprieve.

Mile 8: 10:20 Feeling tired but okay.

Mile 9: 10:22 Oh jesus... a sharp turn back up a steep, all-too-long hill. I know these roads like the back of my hand, I drive them every day... but I hadn't bargained for the slopes when you're out there on foot! I thought I was banjaxed here. Myself and another girl from the 1:40 pacer group started to fall back from them a little bit, such a struggle. This was where I knew I had to really dig deep because I knew there was a long, lovely downhill final mile. Encouraging the girl on, as much for myself as for her, we got back up to the pacers, just as we got to the top of that bloody hill.. Now, the pacers shouted at us, go go go! Don't wait for us! Go!
    The only thing carrying me forward now was gravity :pac: I could hear the pacers' voices getting fainter, encouraging the other girl to keep going, occasionally shouting at the rest of us to run, run, run.

A finisher at the bottom of the hill shouted "400m to go"... I'm so tired, but 400 meters? I can do that, can't I? Around the corner, there's my husband who's stewarding 150m from the finish. He almost missed me, not expecting me to be with the 1:40 pacers... Another finisher's voice shouts "30 more seconds to make 1:40, go, go, go! And I sprinted. Where the hell did that energy come out of?!
    Mile 10: 9:07 mins :D

Chip time: 1:39:30.
    Average pace: 9:58 mins/mile
    For the record, average heart rate was 166bpm, with very little variation throughout really.

De-feckin-lighted! :D:D:D

Great race report - I was so excited for you reading it!! That's great racing - congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Yes ish. I ran 4 easy runs, 14 mile long run (meant to be 13 miles but underestimated my route) but my paced run on Wednesday was 1 mile short because I read the plan wrong.
    I worked really hard on this and actually quite enjoyed the easy pace even though it took some concentration to keep pace slow. I noticed I was able to do more runs and more mileage without feeling tired (my first week running over 50k) and my ankle was much better than usual after the long run - normally I'm limping all day Saturday but just felt it a little yesterday and not at all today.
    - Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon yet?
    Completely. In fairness, I don't blame them though, I am a bit obsessed at the moment. Mind you the hubby got to indulge his obsession this weekend and watch the Open so we broke even this week.

Loving the race reports - well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

eabha19 wrote: »
    Yes ish. I ran 4 easy runs, 14 mile long run (meant to be 13 miles but underestimated my route) but my paced run on Wednesday was 1 mile short because I read the plan wrong.
    I worked really hard on this and actually quite enjoyed the easy pace even though it took some concentration to keep pace slow. I noticed I was able to do more runs and more mileage without feeling tired (my first week running over 50k) and my ankle was much better than usual after the long run - normally I'm limping all day Saturday but just felt it a little yesterday and not at all today.
    - Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon yet?
    Completely. In fairness, I don't blame them though, I am a bit obsessed at the moment. Mind you the hubby got to indulge his obsession this weekend and watch the Open so we broke even this week.

Loving the race reports - well done all.

Nice job on the pacing this week - well done. Good to see you noticed some immediate benefits in energy levels too. At the start it can be tough to keep the pace easy but after a while it becomes second nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

DBB I can hear how delighted you are in that report. Wow! Well done, that is a flippin amazing time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yup all runs done.
    Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

Pace adjustment after review from last week so going to take me 1-2 weeks to adjust to new pace. LSR was a few KM longer than planned but felt good throughout and no issues with aerobic or legs throughout or after the run. Good stretch afterwards and compression socks for the day aided recovery.

Midweek runs
    1 -  5Km, 6:20/Km,  133avg HR
    2 -  6.5Km,  6:16/Km,  139avg HR
    3 -  6.5Km,  6:19/Km,  146avg HR - HR was probably 5-10 bpm higher than it should've been. Sleep the night before was minimal so putting it down to fatigue as it got back to normal for the LSR at the weekend.
    LSR
    17Km, 6:28/Km,  141avg HR
    Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon yet? :pac:

I don't bring it up unless asked, then it doesn't stop :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Yes

4 mile easy @11:11
    6 mile w/u, pace c/d @ 10:00
    3 mile easy @ 11:30
    3 mile rec walk PR @ 18:26
    South Dublin 10k @ 9:22

Got good feedback on times this week from Mr. Guppa. I'm still a tad too fast, so will try apply this week.

Lol - loved this question. I'm consciously not being too bad. My husband of course gets it all but he's very supportive and has dabbled in running himself from time to time over the years.

Advertisement