Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

5km Monday, Tuesday evening involved an an emergency call down the country with work so got back Wednesday night shattered. Was so disappointed missing a run and I know I shouldn't be trying to get back lost milage but I did a 5km before work Thursday and a 5km Thursday night too, both approx 31mins mark. Ate well during the day, was buzzing after the evening run. Rested Friday then did the 15km Saturday and 10km walk Sunday.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

Slowing it down week by week but I'm working on it.

- Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon yet?

They are firing me on! :) All supportive.

I'm in the 35 degree Greek heat this week, will be grand doing the 5km midweek runs x 2 and the 8km, hotel is on a lovely stretch so will stay hydrated and go very slow, although I don't think I'll be able to run fast in that, will wear me out!! Will be doing a lot of swimming too.
    Saturdays 10m will be a challenge for me as it will be my longest ever run so I don't know how that will fair in this weather. Is it possible to split the long run?

On another note my marathon pal from the hometown who I've been training with (not on boards) was in hospital overnight last week with pains in heart. Is on medication for 3 months and has been advised not to do the run! Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Yes, got them all in. Total for the week was just over 40 miles, the extra miles were two matches.

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

Work in progress

Monday : 7. 17 @ 8.09 m/m
    Wednesday : 6 @ 8.01 m/m (4 @ PMP) and 3 @ 21.59 m/m (match)
    Thursday: 3 @ 9:06
    Friday: 4 @ 16:05 (match)
    Saturday 13.5 @ 9.06 m/m (longest run)
    Sunday 3 @ 9.06 m/m

Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon?

Most definitely, I've accumulated some amount of gear and have another pair of runners arriving in the post tomorrow.

I'm racing the Mullingar 10 on Sunday, will be interesting to see how I do its only my 3rd or so race so will use it to try get into proper etiquette and habits for racing.

Not sure if they'll have pacers but will try and slot in somewhere in the region of 68 - 72 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

rizzee wrote: »

5km Monday, Tuesday evening involved an an emergency call down the country with work so got back Wednesday night shattered. Was so disappointed missing a run and I know I shouldn't be trying to get back lost milage but I did a 5km before work Thursday and a 5km Thursday night too, both approx 31mins mark. Ate well during the day, was buzzing after the evening run. Rested Friday then did the 15km Saturday and 10km walk Sunday.

Slowing it down week by week but I'm working on it.

- Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon yet?

They are firing me on! :) All supportive.

I'm in the 35 degree Greek heat this week, will be grand doing the 5km midweek runs x 2 and the 8km, hotel is on a lovely stretch so will stay hydrated and go very slow, although I don't think I'll be able to run fast in that, will wear me out!! Will be doing a lot of swimming too.
    Saturdays 10m will be a challenge for me as it will be my longest ever run so I don't know how that will fair in this weather. Is it possible to split the long run?

On another note my marathon pal from the hometown who I've been training with (not on boards) was in hospital overnight last week with pains in heart. Is on medication for 3 months and has been advised not to do the run! Disappointing.

I admire the enthusiasm but please don't chase lost miles! I don't recommend splitting the long run, so go out and see what you can get done. Enjoy your holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Live in the country and on Saturdays LSR was running on a road with plenty of room for the driver to indicate and drive around me - I was running facing the traffic - not that there is much - anyway the small local bus came along and instead of indicating and moving out slightly he decided to stop dead in the road up against the road margin I was running on - forcing me to stop completely. There was another car coming against him but it was so far away it was ridiculous. I stood for a second and then had to go in front of the bus and round to the left of the bus as there was nowhere else for me to go. It was utter madness and he made me very �� But the anger got me up the hill on the last mile!

Mind yourself out there! I run country roads a lot too - very narrow roads are fine, as are those with a bit of a hard shoulder, it's the in-between ones that are the problem. There are lots of roads I'll avoid completely because they are just not safe to run on.
    Looking forward to the week ahead. Hope this cold doesn’t stick around. Oh and I discovered the feature on Strava where you can plan a route - delighted with that as up to now I would drive around clocking everywhere in the car in advance!

I find this site useful for planning my routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

Yes, all 4 done.
    7.5km @ 6:40min/km
    9km @ 6:50min/km
    7.5km @ 6:52min/km
    LSR @ 6:54min/km

No but gradually slowing it down and will be applying the brakes even more. Feeling the benefit though.

Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon yet?
    No, but they dont get much info when they ask. "How's the training going?"........."Yea, it's grand"......followed by swift change of subject. Ill wait till nearer the time to start boring them!!!

• Advertisement

Irishder wrote: »
    No, got 3 runs in this week. Planned on going last night for 3 miles but the wind was howling and lashing with rain, so put the kettle on and had a chocolate! Determined to do 4 runs this week

It's never too appealing heading out in wet conditions, but once you're a few minutes in it's actaully very enjoyable. There's something very satisfying about being out in conditions that have others reaching for the duvet!

Tried to slow down this week.

Monday 3.3 Miles at 10:40 Mins/Mile
    Thursday 5 Miles at 10:43 Mins/Mile
    Saturday 9 Miles at 11:11 Mins/Mile

Keep working on the easy pace - at least 30-45 seconds slower will do you no harm.
    Not saying anything to anyone only my wife who is very encouraging. Want to surprise everyone with a pic of me at the finish line with my medal :)

I'm loving everyone's answer to this question - lots of different approaches. I scan pretty much every situation or conversation for an opening into which I can shoehorn the topic of running. :pac:

Yes, got them all in. Total for the week was just over 40 miles, the extra miles were two matches.

Work in progress

Monday : 7. 17 @ 8.09 m/m
    Wednesday : 6 @ 8.01 m/m (4 @ PMP) and 3 @ 21.59 m/m (match)
    Thursday: 3 @ 9:06
    Friday: 4 @ 16:05 (match)
    Saturday 13.5 @ 9.06 m/m (longest run)
    Sunday 3 @ 9.06 m/m

Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon?

Most definitely, I've accumulated some amount of gear and have another pair of runners arriving in the post tomorrow.

I'm racing the Mullingar 10 on Sunday, will be interesting to see how I do its only my 3rd or so race so will use it to try get into proper etiquette and habits for racing.

Not sure if they'll have pacers but will try and slot in somewhere in the region of 68 - 72 mins.

Nice improvements on the pacing this week - great to see.

Best of luck on Sunday - from what I gather it's an excellent race with a fine spread afterwards (very important :)).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I did. Whilst I'm following the HHN1 plan which has 3 midweek runs on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, I've got myself into the habit of running Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, as I like having the option of an easy day midweek.
    But... Having waxed lyrical here last week about how things were starting to happen with my training to heart rate, my schedule came back to bite me last week, because I ran or cross-trained 4 days in a row, and whilst Monday's run was good, Tuesday's was not. Drudgery from start to finish. However, it all came back together on Thursday after a day off.
    Two days off on Friday and Saturday saw me right for the Edenderry 10 mile on Sunday.

Yes, the HR training sees to that. But got to push things in the ten mile race... Great to get an opportunity to see, for the first time in my life, could I sustain a fast (for me) pace for more than the 10km races I'd only ever done before this adventure :)

Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon yet?

Moi? :o
    No. Not at all. I never say a single word. Not one. Never. Nope. Not me.
    *snorts*
    :D:D:D

I wonder if I could get some feedback on something that's playing on my mind? :o
    Despite being a lazy fecker at heart, between my job and keeping a demanding tribe of animals, life just doesn't allow me to be lazy... I have a very physically active life, on my feet and walking a lot every single day. .. It's rare that I'd walk less than 8km per day, every day... Usually a fair bit more, and does not include my runs. And it's not strolling either, it's good active walking. Apart from driving from place to place, I don't get off my feet from when I get up, til dark.
    Do ye think this is a good thing? Or a bad thing? Do I have to start delegating more to my husband (please say yes, please say yes)? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Was that a PB?

I'm just looking back over your Strava for the last month or so. By and large, over the past 2-3 weeks, you've done a good job of training at appropriate paces and getting all your runs in. Good job recently, and keep at it.

On the other hand, you're not getting in enough rest days. You've done above and beyond what's required on the boards plan most weeks, as well as cycling the Ring of Kerry and two other cycles in the last fortnight of 65+ miles. Sometimes less is more.

Not a PB but close. I would have done 10K about 10 or 20 seconds quicker back in March in a couple of races. Other than week one I wouldn't agree that I've being going above and beyond on the running side of things. The last 3 weeks have been quite close to plan.
    I didn't, however, notice until you mentioned it that on week three I took no complete rest day when the cycling is included. (I knew I'd run too much on week one). No rest, obviously, is not good. I'll make sure to have 2 complete rest days going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    Not all. Since the 10K for me was on Saturday it made sense to move the 3m recovery run to Sunday. It was lashing rain all day Sunday so that nixed that run.

One of the slow runs was a bit fast (running with others), the session was also about 4s per mile faster than PMP. I expect to get better at the pacing though.

I have them well trained with parkrun talk over the last year so I recognise the glazed look in their eyes when I mention running or PBs or the like. I find it a useful occasion to include bad news as well.

For example:

Me: "Had a great run this morning at the parkrun. Got a new PB. Delighted!"
    Them (mindlessly scrolling through phone) : "Yeah?"
    Me: "Yeah, knocked 12 seconds off my time and roasted Jimmy Buckley who beat me last week. Btw I broke that expensive vase in the hall. I totally burned Jimmy in the last kilometer. The results aren't up yet but he must have been at least 40 seconds behind me.
    Them (still mindlessly scrolling) : "Hmmm......that's nice."

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Back to this again... Galway Bay Half 6th October - it looks so lovely - is it definitely NO?!

Back to this again... Galway Bay Half 6th October - it looks so lovely - is it definitely NO?!

Definitely a NO. It’s far too close to DCM. You won’t recover in time and you’ll leave your marathon in Galway Bay if you race it.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Has anyone used HP nutrition? Never heard of them and their prices seem quite cheap, thought they were much cheaper but they don't add VAT until the end.

DBB wrote: »
    I wonder if I could get some feedback on something that's playing on my mind? :o
    Despite being a lazy fecker at heart, between my job and keeping a demanding tribe of animals, life just doesn't allow me to be lazy... I have a very physically active life, on my feet and walking a lot every single day. .. It's rare that I'd walk less than 8km per day, every day... Usually a fair bit more, and does not include my runs. And it's not strolling either, it's good active walking. Apart from driving from place to place, I don't get off my feet from when I get up, til dark.
    Do ye think this is a good thing? Or a bad thing? Do I have to start delegating more to my husband (please say yes, please say yes)? :D

That does seem like a lot. You do seem like you're managing well, but I think as those long runs and the overall mileage creeps up, you will get tired. Keep an eye on how you're feeling and do a conscious body check every few days. I'm inclined to think you will definitely want to cut back at some point.

Also, be very careful that you don't overdo it during the taper. When you start to feel fresher, you might start to take on more. Just be careful you don't tire yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Top Tip
    An "easy pace" is not possible when you're accompanied by an 8 year old on a scooter. Best avoid.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Also, be very careful that you don't overdo it during the taper. When you start to feel fresher, you might start to take on more. Just be careful you don't tire yourself out.

Thanks Huzzah! You see, I hadn't even considered this bit. I will definitely delegate more for the taper... And I'll tell him Huzzah! said it has to be this way :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    No. Missed the Thursday recovery run again. Made a bit of a mess of the distances if I'm honest. Did 5 miles easy on Tuesday instead of 3 miles. And for the MP session, I reset the Garmin after the warm up mile and ran 6 miles MP instead of 4 :-(

I think I'm getting better. Mon 3 miles easy - 9:38. Tuesday 5 miles easy - 9:35. Weds 6 miles - 8:43. Sat 13 miles 9:47 - this is slightly skewed by a MP mile at mile 8 and the last mile was all downhill so I couldnt resist also. Sun 90 min recovery pace cycle.

Its pretty much an in joke with them at this stage. So I try to avoid talking about it but it's proving impossible :-)
    Someone once asked me "How do you know if someone is doing a marathon?" Answer: "They'll tell you...."

Thanks Huzzah! You see, I hadn't even considered this bit. I will definitely delegate more for the taper... And I'll tell him Huzzah! said it has to be this way :D:D:D

Wonder if that would work in my own house...

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Has anyone used HP nutrition? Never heard of them and their prices seem quite cheap, thought they were much cheaper but they don't add VAT until the end.

Only bought from them yesterday, great deal on gels 20 for 15 euro. Delivery due today!

• Advertisement

Don't forget you'll require post marathon recovery too... should see you through to Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Following on from the Galway Bay discussion, I had signed up to a 20miler which corresponds with weekly plan where we have 18 - 20 mile LSR. I didn't plan on racing it but doing it at LSR speed. Is this ok or a big no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    Following on from the Galway Bay discussion, I had signed up to a 20miler which corresponds with weekly plan where we have 18 - 20 mile LSR. I didn't plan on racing it but doing it at LSR speed. Is this ok or a big no?

That sounds good to me, as long as you totally commit to running it at LSR pace. It's easy to get carried away at those runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Singer wrote: »
    That sounds good to me, as long as you totally commit to running it at LSR pace. It's easy to get carried away at those runs.

Understood. Thanks.
    Fully aware if I don't I will jeoprodise my marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Unless you do it as an LSR but i expect you'll have a longer LSR on the plan that weekend? I believe GB provide an option to do the 10k + HM for those wanting to do a 20m/32k ish run that week. This would be an LSR pace of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

ariana` wrote: »
    Unless you do it as an LSR but i expect you'll have a longer LSR
    Long SLOW run or long STEADY run :pac:

:D

Concerns for this week.

Hi guys, This week is going to be a strange one. I have to travel with work Thursday and wont be back until Friday night. Saturday and Sunday I will then be away with family. So there is nowhere there to fit in the LSR (15 miles). Today is really the only option for me to sqeeze in the LSR (potentially this evening). If I did that, and then did the 6 miles easy early Thursday morning and try and work the other shorter runs around, would that work?

Schedule wise I should be a lot more straightforward from next week on.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Wonder if that would work in my own house...

If I'm going to blame you, I'm happy for you to blame me... Seems only fair :D
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Don't forget you'll require post marathon recovery too... should see you through to Christmas :)

If I could thank this post a thousand times, I would :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Arsenium wrote: »
    Concerns for this week.

Hi guys, This week is going to be a strange one. I have to travel with work Thursday and wont be back until Friday night. Saturday and Sunday I will then be away with family. So there is nowhere there to fit in the LSR (15 miles). Today is really the only option for me to sqeeze in the LSR (potentially this evening). If I did that, and then did the 6 miles easy early Thursday morning and try and work the other shorter runs around, would that work?

Schedule wise I should be a lot more straightforward from next week on.

How late will you be back Friday? Could you fit it in then? It would be better obviously closer to the end of the week so its not so soon after the last LSR / race (not sure which you did).

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    How late will you be back Friday? Could you fit it in then? It would be better obviously closer to the end of the week so its not so soon after the last LSR / race (not sure which you did).

It will be Friday night before I get back so I wont have 2.5 hours to get it done Friday for sure. Sat morning VERY early might be an option...

Advertisement