Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Completed my 15 mile LSR today in one piece!

I've ran 101 miles this month (and am not finished yet!!), surpassing any monthly milage I've done previously.
    I ran 15 miles today - the furthest distance I've ever done in one run and I feel good after it!!

We've a good way to go yet but today was a reflective run for me. Similar to Bananaleaf I am really glad for the support and guidance from this group and especially from the mentors. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck on the LSR's this weekend everyone. Whether it's the HH 10 miler or the Boards 15 miler, it's uncharted territory for most of you, but it will be no bother to you. Keep the pace nice and easy and you will cruise through it.

Please do plan ahead and think about what your hydration strategy will be for these LSR's. Maybe you've a belt that can carry a water bottle, but it's probably wise to bring €2 with you also and plan a route that passes a shop to get a re-fill. Some people circle past their car or house a few times to take on water.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TillyDcm

A little late with my fourth week’s report, but here goes!
    **Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    Yes, all runs complete:
    Monday 3 miles @ avg 11:10/mi
    Tuesday 4 miles @ avg 11:21/mi
    Thursday 4 miles @ avg 11:20/mi
    Saturday 9 miles @ avg 11:03/mi + following 2 hours rest after LSR I walked/jogged the parkrun

**Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon yet?
    Like a few more on here, I haven’t really told too many people, yet! TOH is also training for DCM, but at a different level all together. So we can chat from morning to night about our DCM journey, but we don’t run together very often. My children are clocking up the miles with me on the shorter runs (3 to 4 miles), so it’s a whole family effort to get me ready to toe the start line!

Well done to everyone who raced last weekend, and thanks to all for the endless advice and support here.

I tested gels for the first time ever this week.
    Took one on 6 mile run and seemed fine so took 2 more on 15mile run today along with an electrolyte tab in my drink.

I decided to leave gels till 2nd half in case of any effects on my tummy. That link earlier on gel use is a very useful guide - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

In relation to those taking fuel on board during your runs, if you're feeling hungry or lethargic during your runs then it's too late for fuel. Recovering from that during your run is tough. Have often seen people save their caffeine gel for late in a race which on the face of it seems a good idea but it takes time for that to be digested and processed so they may not see that caffeine boost till they're sitting down for recovery after the event/run. If you're testing out your fuel strategy on a 90-120 minute run then I would advise you to take on some food after about 30 minutes to see how your body reacts to processing fuel while keeping your body moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    Completed my 15 mile LSR today in one piece!

I've ran 101 miles this month (and am not finished yet!!), surpassing any monthly milage I've done previously.
    I ran 15 miles today - the furthest distance I've ever done in one run and I feel good after it!!

We've a good way to go yet but today was a reflective run for me. Similar to Bananaleaf I am really glad for the support and guidance from this group and especially from the mentors. Thank you!

I was very jealous to see that you already have the 15m under your belt! Am definitely a bit nervous about it.

py wrote: »
    In relation to those taking fuel on board during your runs, if you're feeling hungry or lethargic during your runs then it's too late for fuel. Recovering from that during your run is tough. Have often seen people save their caffeine gel for late in a race which on the face of it seems a good idea but it takes time for that to be digested and processed so they may not see that caffeine boost till they're sitting down for recovery after the event/run. If you're testing out your fuel strategy on a 90-120 minute run then I would advise you to take on some food after about 30 minutes to see how your body reacts to processing fuel while keeping your body moving.

And should we be taking on some kind of food/fuel at 30min intervals from 30mins on or is that too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    That's a good plan. Was it the John Buckley 10 miler? That's one I'd like to do eventually myself but it hasn't fitted in with my marathon preparation this year or last.
    Yes, the John Buckley 10 miler. I started that one off very well last year and died a death over the last 2 miles. :D I was hoping to give it a proper crack this year. Oh well, keep the eye on the prize and all that.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    And should we be taking on some kind of food/fuel at 30min intervals from 30mins on or is that too much?

Some people will bring a few jellies with them, but it's ok just to stick to the gels. Everyone is different, but typically we have enough glycogen stores in our bodies to fuel us for up to 2 hours. By taking a gel before the 2 hour mark we are topping up those stores. Gels typically take about 20 mins to work, so I'd say one at 80 mins and another before 2 hours would do you fine for a 3-hour run.

Djoucer mentioned earlier about people getting too worried about gels, and they have a point. If you don't take gels you are teaching your body to use fat as a fuel source once the glycogen stores have been depleted, which is very helpful in the later stages of a marathon.

But, that needs to be balanced with the fact that these LSR's are new territory for novices and you need fueling to complete the mileage. Plus a marathon fueling strategy needs to be trialed and practiced. Additionally, over-depleting your glycogen stores can have a knock-on effect into the following weeks training.

In summary, when runs are getting above 2.5 hours, take a gel (maybe two) during the run, but there is no need to get carried away taking 4 or 5 of them at this stage.

Also, a good night's sleep (HINT) will have as much of a positive effect on your energy levels as any gel. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Yes, the John Buckley 10 miler. I started that one off very well last year and died a death over the last 2 miles. :D I was hoping to give it a proper crack this year. Oh well, keep the eye on the prize and all that.

I have done John Buckley as part of my training the past two years. Last year I think it was a 17.5 mile run I had to do so I did the 7.5 miles and timed it to be back to start line just in time. Found it great to do the 10 miler then and be handed water etc. I’ll be doing the same this year and racing Charleville then. I’ve actually really enjoyed doing it that way but like you hope to race it someday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Is anyone racing this week? I'm just getting ready to head over to the Mullingar 10 mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Is anyone racing this week? I'm just getting ready to head over to the Mullingar 10 mile.

Good luck and let’s us know how you get on.

Also, a good night's sleep (HINT) will have as much of a positive effect on your energy levels as any gel. :)

This is my biggest weakness - not getting to bed early enough. I get an average of 7.5hrs sleep a night and it is rare that it would drop below 7hrs but it does on occasion.

Thanks though. Your message was the kick in the backside I needed and I ran straight off to bed when i saw it :o

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Good luck and let’s us know how you get on.

73 mins, could've been so different. Will post a full report when I've time to reflect.

73 mins, could've been so different. Will post a full report when I've time to reflect.
    Not a million miles from what you’d hoped for, although looks like a tough last few miles?

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Not a million miles from what you’d hoped for, although looks like a tough last few miles?

Yes, they were tough. Not as tough as one outlining mile would suggest as I think their was a slight glitch with my watch on miles 6, 7 & 8 the watch was either buzzing earlier or later where the other 7 were spot on with the markers.

I ran 70% of the race on my own which wasn't something that I was expecting. If I'd the benefit of a pacer I'm certain I would've come in on target, I just began to feel sorry for myself and meandered along. The sprint at the end wasn't intended, a lady in front of me collapsed so I ran up to get a Marshall.

Conditions were tough between leaving the house and returning I lost 4lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Heading out now for 10 mile after not a treat night sleeping, we were easy camping , well done to everyone's run. Looking forward to sitting down tonight !

Yes, they were tough. Not as tough as one outlining mile would suggest as I think their was a slight glitch with my watch on miles 6, 7 & 8 the watch was either buzzing earlier or later where the other 7 were spot on with the markers.

I ran 70% of the race on my own which wasn't something that I was expecting. If I'd the benefit of a pacer I'm certain I would've come in on target, I just began to feel sorry for myself and meandered along. The sprint at the end wasn't intended, a lady in front of me collapsed so I ran up to get a Marshall.

Conditions were tough between leaving the house and returning I lost 4lbs.

Ah, okay. Hope the woman is okay. You must’ve got a fright.

You’ll have plenty of company during DCM but it will still be tough mentally. It’s hard not to switch off during races - they’re mentally exhausting. Lots to be learned from today, anyway, and as I said, only a smidge outside what you were hoping for, so chalk it down.

Hi all

I hope everyone's training is going well. I will be away next week in Co Clare. I am going to Liscannor. For my 16mile on Saturday I am trying to work out a route. The only route I know in Liscannor is 5km. If it comes to it, I will do this route 5 times. Sure it would make the logistics of snacks and hydration very handy. But, I am now thinking it could also be an option to drive to Lahinch and do a route there. I don't know Lahinch at all. Does anyone here have any ideas about routes I could take? Thank you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There's a little voice telling me I've seen this on a thread here in the past few days, but I'll post here anyway.
    Clif Bloks half price right now on Wiggle, postage is free!

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/clif-bar-shot-bloks-18-x-60g-1/

• Advertisement

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I don't know Lahinch at all. Does anyone here have any ideas about routes I could take? Thank you

Run Clare did a 10mile in Lahinch earlier this year. Course link
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3534446486/share/0?lang=en&t=1554660695. It's a hilly course though..

I did a half marathon in Lisdoonvarna few months ago. Don't know if that is too far out for you. I'll try dig out a course link. Another hilly one but fab views. You might be able to see it in my strava history

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

So i'm not gonna lie i was absolutely dreading yesterday's long run as the day went on! My plan was to get up early & get it done but as is life things got in the way so it was a later start for me, not helping myself either by checking Strava to see lots of you done already:) So off i went with a view to enjoying it not dreading it...i changed my playlist so that defo helped!! I brought 2 gels with me the high 5 ones, 1 water based & the other with caffeine! I used the water based one 1st after approx an hour then the caffeine one before the last 7miles! Defo got a kick out of the caffeine one & thankfully no side effects as i have never used it before!! By the time i got home i was feeling really happy & proud of my run :D

Is it ok to mix the water ones with the caffeine ones on my runs?

Went for my recovery run early to get it done and my knees were feeling a bit stiff but felt better when i got back! Now to get stuck into the painting ;)

So i'm not gonna lie i was absolutely dreading yesterday's long run as the day went on! My plan was to get up early & get it done but as is life things got in the way so it was a later start for me, not helping myself either by checking Strava to see lots of you done already:) So off i went with a view to enjoying it not dreading it...i changed my playlist so that defo helped!! I brought 2 gels with me the high 5 ones, 1 water based & the other with caffeine! I used the water based one 1st after approx an hour then the caffeine one before the last 7miles! Defo got a kick out of the caffeine one & thankfully no side effects as i have never used it before!! By the time i got home i was feeling really happy & proud of my run :D

Is it ok to mix the water ones with the caffeine ones on my runs?

Went for my recovery run early to get it done and my knees were feeling a bit stiff but felt better when i got back! Now to get stuck into the painting ;)

People generally take a caffeine gel during the closing stages of the marathon, around mile 20 or thereabouts, to give a little mental wake-up ahead of the closing stages.

Well done on the run - just watch the paces, I noticed them creeping up a touch over the past week.

Hope the painting went well!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Well done everyone! Some great running. 👌

Had another bad week. I start off great and always have drama. This week it was a wisdom tooth, which i am getting sorted week after next. On antibiotics again!

Took a few days rest and managed a fairly handy 22km run this morning. Did two laps of a 10km route I know and had planned to do 25km, but I ran out of time. I was on croissant duty!

Had a gel and a bottle of water with a nuun tablet. All good!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Hard to believe another week training done.. Coming around very quick.

25km (can't migrate to miles after so long) done and thoroughly enjoyed it.. No soreness after.
    Possibly due to a brand new pair of brooks I bought myself! Like running on a cloud.

Only got four runs in this week so will push on next week to make sure I hit the 5.

Well done to everyone still pushing on.. Its great to see "1 new record" each week on the garmin as the runs get longer!

Main thing to take away for me this week was I took on 1.5l of water during long run without any impact which was unexpected but great. Combined with no gel issues I was very happy with how it went

WEEK 6!!

After this week we will be 1/3 of the way through the plans - the time really is racing by. Well done on getting this far - week 5 saw many of you running distances you've never ran before - super stuff! I'm pleased to see that most of our advice regarding pacing, (not) racing and training is sinking in - you are training for a marathon and yes it is hard work and requires sacrifice, but it will be worth it.

I just want to re-highlight a couple of great posts from during the week. This one from Fusitive regarding consistent and sensible training was very informative, and this one from KSU is something that we will come back to in the months ahead, but just stick it in the back of your mind for now.

Finally in our week 5 recap:
    - Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    - Did you run all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    - Which aspects of your training/preparation need improving?

And onto week 6:
    Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    HHN1|rest|3m easy|5m easy|3m easy|rest|7m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|5m easy|1m w/u + 5m pace + 1m c/d|3m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|16m lsr|rest,cross or 3m rec

This week is a step-back week for the HH followers, with the LSR a paltry 7 miles :). Weeks like this are dotted throughout the plans, usually every third week. These weeks are a very important part of a training block, as they allow us to refresh before the next increase in mileage.

For the Boards crew there is a slight increase in mileage this week, with the LSR out to 16 miles. Note that the midweek run is 5 miles at PMP, plus a mile each of warm-up and cooldown. Please keep PMP (and all training paces) realistic and in line with current fitness.

Good luck for the week ahead everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Yes i got all my runs in!

As spotted by the eagle eyed Mr Guppa some of my paces have crept up this week - have had a lot on my mind so possibly not concentrating properly on the pace but i will this week...promise ;)

So far i'm pretty happy with how its going with both but i think maybe i should start doing a few runs with no music! As i run alone i always have my music so will try a couple without it!

1st coats done in the kitchen & hall stairs & landing thanks for asking Mr Guppa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

I got out for 4 sessions this week. I usually do 5. I had a fright Wednesday morning when I woke with a pain at the back of my leg, above the knee.
    I put it down to the busy day I had the day before where I had a long flight, had cut the grass and had gone on a 3 mile run. I didn't run that day but felt fine the day after. That pushed everything back a day so I only got out for my 12 mile lsr today. Thankfully my leg is fine now.

Yeah. My training pace is around 10.30 minute miles while my lsr pace is around 11 minute miles. My pmp is 9 minute miles. The last few 10 milers and half marathon I've done have been run at 8.30 minute miles so I'm happy enough so far.

I went out for my lsr today without hydrating properly or even bringing any water with me. I definitely noticed it for the last 3 miles. Schoolboy error. I must get a water bottle to bring with me.

Yes i did

Yep, did better this week. Was very happy to be able to keep a steady consistent LSR pace for the 15mile.

I've already started testing gels and getting used to those as well as electrolyte tabs and carrying water. I've never used gels before this week, so that's all new.

I'm conscious that all my runs are on the flat, so I'm not getting any hills in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    Yes, step back week for me in my plan and I feel refreshed after it. For those on the HH plan, embrace the week and don't be tempted to up the paces as the mileage is less. I have a tough three weeks coming up so it's good going into those weeks feeling refreshed

Did you run all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    Think so, I always seem to be slightly faster than planned pace on average. With the mileage increasing next week, I'm hoping to stick rigidly to the pace or going even slower.

Which aspects of your training/preparation need improving?
    I'm the worst for stretching and do zero strength & conditioning work. It's definitely an area to improve on. Was thinking of doing some wall climbing to improve core strength. My two girls go every week so it would be a handy time to go too. Also, diet could always do with improvement

Advertisement