Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I'll be doing the Charleville Half Marathon on the 15th September so I've already swapped around next week's runs with the following week. However I notice that the LSR prior to the DC HM is 16 miles. I'm aiming for 1.40 in Charleville (gotta have a target, right?). This would be a 2 minute HM PB.
    I'm not confident I'll get it as I've done no speedwork for months. On the other hand my last HM PB in June included a 40 second stop for water, the temp was warmer then and the course a bit hillier so may as well give it a shot.

I would say go for the 1.40. Charleville is meant to be the faster HM course around. I wouldn't worry about not having done speedwork in months. You won't have lost speed but you will have gained endurance.

Just as an FYI, you'll need to average 7.30 pace for the HM, not 7.37 according to calculators, to allow for racing line and all that. I did Cork HM in 1.39.17 with an avg of 7.29.

I'll be running Charleville too so might see you there

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

I'm doing Charleville as well, (Instead of DCHM), what's the suggested changes to the boards plan, switch week 13 with week 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thanks for the watch suggestions folks. I went with the Garmin 45, being delivered next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

jackc101 wrote: »
    I'm doing Charleville as well, (Instead of DCHM), what's the suggested changes to the boards plan, switch week 13 with week 12?

Yeah, pretty much, although I'd push the 9m PMP session out a week then, so something like this:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    12|rest,cross or 3m rec|3m easy|4m easy w/ 5 x strides|rest,cross or 3m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|2m easy|RACE
    13|2m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|8m easy|5m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|16m lsr|3m rec
    14|rest,cross or 3m rec|6m easy|1m w/u, 9m pace, 1m c/d|3m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|20m lsr|3m rec

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Fallen off the wagon this week. Any advice on where to start back?

• Advertisement

Soulsun wrote: »
    Fallen off the wagon this week. Any advice on where to start back?

5 easy miles tomorrow and a long run Sunday. Any particular reason for this week's setback?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

For LSRs on Saturday - is it best to do a stretching routine on Thursday to give the legs a chance to recover in time for Sat?

Also, I know it was mentioned that there is such a thing as overhydrating when running, is this also a thing regarding day to day? I'm currently drinking about 3L of water per day. It was mentioned to me that it is an excessive amount as I'm getting water from my food and that with that amount of fluid intake I'm likely flushing out vits and mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    For LSRs on Saturday - is it best to do a stretching routine on Thursday to give the legs a chance to recover in time for Sat?

Also, I know it was mentioned that there is such a thing as overhydrating when running, is this also a thing regarding day to day? I'm currently drinking about 3L of water per day. It was mentioned to me that it is an excessive amount as I'm getting water from my food and that with that amount of fluid intake I'm likely flushing out vits and mins.

It's not excessive. The 'average' person should drink at least 2 litres of water a day. You are sweating during your runs and are active. The pee check is a good guide.. clear urine is an indication of over hydration, deep yellow means you're possibly slightly dehydrated. Aim for a straw coloured/ very light yellow pee...How did it ever come to this! Hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Doc76 wrote: »
    Definitely! I got my 235 on amazon as deal of the day for 150 with shipping included. Great watch.

I grabbed it on the deal of the day to for that price. I had it set on camelcamelcamel because it did drop earlier in the. It’ll drop again I’d say. Old tech now really but a great watch. I’ve done a half dozen 5k runs with it in the past week or so and gps has been perfect and app interaction flawless.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It's not excessive. The 'average' person should drink at least 2 litres of water a day. You are sweating during your runs and are active. The pee check is a good guide.. clear urine is an indication of over hydration, deep yellow means you're possibly slightly dehydrated. Aim for a straw coloured/ very light yellow pee...How did it ever come to this! Hahahaha

Hahaha, well at the risk of TMI, I might be over hydrating so, as I thought clear was the goal. I'm putting the water bottle away right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Started running last september hopingto do my first 5k. Ran 26 parkruns so far, 2 10 milers, 2 10ks and one half marathon.

Just been offered a spot for the marathon, my sunday runs are just shy of 3 hours so training is good. Hoping for 4 hours which should be possible, my first half marathon was 1:47.

Next question, is there a way to transfer the name on the bid or does the person need to be with me in person to pick up the number?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

sonyvision wrote: »
    Started running last september hopingto do my first 5k. Ran 26 parkruns so far, 2 10 milers, 2 10ks and one half marathon.

Just been offered a spot for the marathon, my sunday runs are just shy of 3 hours so training is good. Hoping for 4 hours which should be possible, my first half marathon was 1:47.

Next question, is there a way to transfer the name on the bid or does the person need to be with me in person to pick up the number?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Simply put it is not within the rules for you to run. Transferring of numbers is not allowed. The registered athlete will need to collect the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    5 easy miles tomorrow and a long run Sunday. Any particular reason for this week's setback?

Will do.
    Setback due to lack of discipline.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

If anyone see's the Garmin 235 on Deal of the Day, or another good deal, please lemme know, would love to get one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

If anyone see's the Garmin 235 on Deal of the Day, or another good deal, please lemme know, would love to get one :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-Running-Elevate-Notifications-Black-Grey/dp/B016ZWT64M/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1PT5CDB116346&keywords=forerunner+235&qid=1567761866&refinements=p_89%3AGarmin&rnid=1632651031&s=gateway&sprefix=forer%2Caps%2C298&sr=8-1

£163.93 (GBP) on Amazon currently.

Edit: German Amazon cheaper as pointed out by DeepBlue, below.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

ReeReeG wrote: »
    You might not want to hear this, but I'd leave the first 20 miles where it is i.e. this coming weekend, and not worry about a PB for the HM. As has been stated many, many times across this forum - keep the main thing, the main thing :)

Having two 20 mile runs two weekends in a row seems a bit much tbh, especially as you're getting closer to the marathon. So we could say 20 miles this weekend, HM the 15th, 16 miles that weekend and back with the plan the week of 23rd Sept and 20 miles.

The other thing is the 9 miles at MP the week after the HM, might be wiser to leave that to the week of the 23rd.

Cool. Mainly I was wondering if that 16m LSR was where it was on the plan with an eye to the DCHM. I'd prefer to have it done and dusted anyway. I'll readjust the remaining as suggested.

I'm not sure what you mean by not worrying about the PB. Do you mean I shouldn't run full gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Cool. Mainly I was wondering if that 16m LSR was where it was on the plan with an eye to the DCHM. I'd prefer to have it done and dusted anyway. I'll readjust the remaining as suggested.

I'm not sure what you mean by not worrying about the PB. Do you mean I shouldn't run full gas?

No, I took it you wanted to do 16 as opposed to 20 so you'd be less tired for the HM. The not worrying is more if you do then feel tired in the HM, it's because you're in the thick of marathon training and not to feel disheartened :) But of course, this might not happen and you might feel amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

It's about €20 cheaper on the German amazon site ->link

Even better!
    For anyone considering the 235. I would highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Quick query: I didn't get out yesterday as I was in town between work and a meeting afterwards from 8a.m. til 11 p.m. with pilates at lunch replacing my lunch time run. Would it be ok to do the 4 miles with sprints tonight and still do my 20 miles tomorrow - Sunday long run is not really an option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

eabha19 wrote: »
    Quick query: I didn't get out yesterday as I was in town between work and a meeting afterwards from 8a.m. til 11 p.m. with pilates at lunch replacing my lunch time run. Would it be ok to do the 4 miles with sprints tonight and still do my 20 miles tomorrow - Sunday long run is not really an option for me.

Do the four miles tonight and drop the strides, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Do the four miles tonight and drop the strides, I think.

Thanks Huzzah. I have to say I've noticed the difference with kids back to school this week and all activities back on trying to squeeze runs in. Bring back the summer hols please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

- How was week ten for you?

Grand. On the mid week runs the previous week I was feeling a bit "I really don't want to do this" mainly due to crap weather but it was back to normal this week. I was a bit cranky on Thursday so ran faster than on plan getting some frustration out.

- Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?

I've been running almost two years now but only really started following plans early this year. Starting from a low base it's relatively easy to make progress with more training and some weight loss and I'd wondered how motivated I'd be to run when the results started to plateau. Luckily I enjoy the slow runs so I don't think there's anything to worry about.

- What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.

Hmmm……not sure. Things appear to be going ok without any major issues so I guess just keep doing what I'm doing.

- What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?

I think the physical side of things are going to be ok in that I'll get around the course close enough to expected time - barring injury (fingers and toes crossed). I'm not so sure of the mental side of things yet. Will I be disciplined enough to keep to a steady pace early on or will I get greedy for a faster time or start thinking I'm going too slow? If I start to feel like I'm struggling relatively early how will I react? That's the kind of stuff I'm not sure about so that's what's going to be tested out in the half and the next few long runs.

I think the physical side of things are going to be ok in that I'll get around the course close enough to expected time - barring injury (fingers and toes crossed). I'm not so sure of the mental side of things yet. Will I be disciplined enough to keep to a steady pace early on or will I get greedy for a faster time or start thinking I'm going too slow? If I start to feel like I'm struggling relatively early how will I react? That's the kind of stuff I'm not sure about so that's what's going to be tested out in the half and the next few long runs.

The physical and mental are intertwined to a large degree - lose concentration and allow the pace creep up a bit in the early stages and you'll physically pay for it 3 hours later. Practice that pacing discipline in your remaining long runs and especially during Charleville. And please stop tearing around parkruns! If you are incorporating a parkrun into a long run, do the parkrun at LSR pace.

It's 20m eve!! Good luck tomorrow everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Im looking forward to it now, have all the gear ready.

Plan is to get up and do it around 630, two miles out and two miles back five times different directions, makes water so much easier but very boring.

Im looking forward to it now, have all the gear ready.

Plan is to get up and do it around 630, two miles out and two miles back five times different directions, makes water so much easier but very boring.

I'm a snail, so it's a 5:55am start for me!! So, with that in mind I will bid ye goodnight. This time tomorrow I'll be up to my ears in pizza!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Defo not as exciting as xmas eve haha ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great seeing all the long, long runs on Strava this morning! I'm gonna guess lots of you are having naps about now:)

Advertisement