Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    Yup. Total of 45 miles, my highest ever mileage in one week, with a 20 mile LSR.

Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    Yes, including 8 miles at PMP on Thursday. I found the PMP miles (9 min/miles) a lot easier this week than last week and I also recovered from it a lot quicker than last week. I felt like I was cruising along for most of it. All the other runs were at easy pace.

Are you happy with your progress to this point?
    Kinda. Like some others, I feel like I've got so used to my slow pace that I may not be able to get back to the faster speeds I used to do for shorter races. But I need to look at the bigger picture and admit that it's quite an achievement to have got up to more than 40 miles, and five running days, per week without injury. I'm also pleased with the way I've worked my runs into my schedule so that I genuinely don't feel like I've taken on a huge amount more than I used to when I was doing less than 20 miles (and only three days) a week. Since the "official" start of the training block I've only missed one run from my plan, and that was only a four-miler.

Do I feel like I can run a marathon? Yes and no. Yes, I feel like if I did it at my LSR pace I could probably finish it - I've done 20 miles and it wasn't too bad. But could I go any faster? Right now I'm not sure, and that's what I'm most apprehensive about at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

kyomi wrote: »
    Do I feel like I can run a marathon? Yes and no. Yes, I feel like if I did it at my LSR pace I could probably finish it - I've done 20 miles and it wasn't too bad. But could I go any faster? Right now I'm not sure, and that's what I'm most apprehensive about at the moment.

This is exactly how I'm feeling. I never felt like I was struggling too much during the 19m and 20m LSRs. It actually was a great two weeks in that because the runs were so significant it made me really respect the distance and I feel I ran them appropriately. But I'm wondering how to get going again, maybe Wednesday with 9 PMP miles will be a good indicator and we also have the HM in two weeks which I'm assuming I should at LEAST be doing in PMP if not a few minutes faster, so they are my two checkpoints against my target DCM time.

Trusting the plan, but the brain runs away on me sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

Just getting around to post up after the weeks training.. 3 good running days plus 2 cross training (1 was weights) sessions this week.

LSR went really well yesterday which was a tad surprising considering I found the last 2K or so fairly tough/slightly sore on the previous weekend. So got 29km (18miles) in at 6m31s avg pace with a very welcome dip in the sea after to aid recovery! the run has given me a welcome boost into believing I will get the DCM completed! Next weekends LSR on the plan I'm following is the 20miler so will see if I still have the confidence after that!

Like a few other posts recently Im still wondering how the hell will I be able to pick up the pace come race day though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

All runs completed,
    4 miles 12/mile
    7.82 miles 11.55/ mile( had to cut the run short as fell trying to make up the last bit. A few cuts, nothing Major, thankfully.
    4 miles 11.28/ mile
    16 miles 12.01/ mile

Happy enough with how the plan is going, will continue with the stretching and foam rolling daily. Back to normal after Saturday run.

This week I have to bring runs forward. Working nights at the weekend so I have to do my LSR on Thursday.

Can't believe how real its all becoming

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    I did, albeit in a different order. (feeling PMSy...)
    Wed --3.15 miles @ 9.52 miles (GT5k race)
    Thurs -- 8.80 miles @ 12.02 miles
    Sat --16.04miles @ 12.00 miles
    Sun -- 3.16 miles @ 11.06 miles

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    So the 5K I did on Wed was the GTk5 race, and faster than should of been. However I did not try to race it, I made a point of doing my own thing and felt good throughout - just naturally paced faster with the crowd.

- Mixed emotions on the LSR. Felt good at the start, mid way was struggling but towards the end got a new boost of energy for the last few KM. Went out later this week, and think I'm stronger earlier on, so going to make it my business to get out earlier for the following LSRs

- Are you happy with your progress to this point?
    Feeling happy to date. I know I did the 8 miles & 16 miles in quick sucession this week, but it actually felt good to see I was capable of doing the 16 miler of the back of the 8.

Question for the ladies (and apologies in advance to the guys), but I really felt the impact of having my period this week. I think this was part of the reason I was feeling a bit funny on Thursday when I tripped, I just generally get a bit clumsy around that time of the month. Just wondering if any of the ladies change things up around that time of month & also if your cycle lines up with the marathon, if you have any advice. Currently freaking out that it is going to come at that time, even though it shouldn't...! Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Just back from hols but yes - took your advice and only did 10 miles on Saturday seeing as I's done 16 on the Tuesday.

Yes - to be honest I'm very happy with the easy pace and worry that I couldn't run faster if I had to. I know I had the same doubts when doing the Dun Laoghaire 10km and managed it in the end but don't think there'll be any PBs from me at the HM in 2 weeks.

I'm trusting the plan and I'm still slightly ahead of the HHN1.
    Will do 14 miles on Saturday as opposed to the 12 in the plan (as suggested by you).
    Need to do some foam rolling - can feel a tightness in my calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

All bar skipping the recovery run on Sunday
    Yep, pace seems good to me :P
    Very happy, after this past weekend I'm finally out of my wedding season of three weekends on the trot, no insult to the respective stags and then brides and grooms but I can get back on schedule :cool: Saturdays 20M went great, went fully pre race schedule & rig out, proper sleep & then fueling, looped past the house to refill H2O & gels. Was a touch fast actually but felt great after. Well enough to throw a few shapes on the wedding dance floor that night... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

py wrote: »

Yup. Running has been consistent. Weight has been dropping a little due to me watching what and when I'm taking food on board so hoping this will be of benefit when the next race comes around and ultimately the DCM too.

You will find yourself requiring more food as the body needs energy for all these miles. Make healthy choices and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Question for the ladies (and apologies in advance to the guys), but I really felt the impact of having my period this week. I think this was part of the reason I was feeling a bit funny on Thursday when I tripped, I just generally get a bit clumsy around that time of the month. Just wondering if any of the ladies change things up around that time of month & also if your cycle lines up with the marathon, if you have any advice. Currently freaking out that it is going to come at that time, even though it shouldn't...! Thanks :)

Yep - it can have a noticeable impact to the point where Garmin Connect now has a function for tracking your cycle and coaches are beginning to take hormonal changes into account when coaching women. Have a look at this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057987962

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    How was week 11 for you?

Yes, all runs completed.

Yes, all at a correct pace

Yes, I am happy. I will post something here from my training log, if that's okay:

I guess this kind of worry over pacing is normal, but am just wondering - if I am to expect myself to be able for 11min/m for 26.2 miles of race day, what time should I be expecting of myself at the DCHM?

Also:

Last question, sorry!
    Would it be possible to do my LSR on Sunday instead of Saturday this week? I have had a running buddy for the past couple of LSRs and it has been lovely. She is not able to run this Saturday, so I'm wondering if I could alter this week to do the LSR on Sunday, but only if it isn't going to compromise the training. Thank you so much!

Don't let a DCM target dictate your HM pace - you might be selling yourself short! I'd aim for a PB in the HM and see what happens.

It's no major issue to move the LSR back 24 hours if it's more convenient. The only slight (and it is slight) concern is that it pushes the LSR a day closer to the half. That said week 13 is very quiet in preparation for the half, so you should be ok to switch. If you do switch, I'd go 3m easy Sat, LSR Sun, 3m rec Mon, then back on plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Yes although I had to push Thursday's run out to Friday and then, as advised, skipped the strides. Definitely found it harder to squeeze them all in this week and will have to change things around this week too to manage it which will meant doing the 11 mile run tomorrow instead of wed to take advantage of my days off work.

I think so - I find almost everything ends up being around 6:50 min/km pace whether it's easy or LSR or recovery.

I'm happy with my mileage and that I'm pretty much sticking to plan but I do doubt myself and wonder if I really have it in me to do this. At the end of the long run I was pretty wrecked and my legs were so heavy. I certainly did not feel springy and as if I had more in me. I am fairly confident that I'll get to the finish line but don't want to crawl the last 6 miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Question for the ladies (and apologies in advance to the guys), but I really felt the impact of having my period this week. I think this was part of the reason I was feeling a bit funny on Thursday when I tripped, I just generally get a bit clumsy around that time of the month. Just wondering if any of the ladies change things up around that time of month & also if your cycle lines up with the marathon, if you have any advice. Currently freaking out that it is going to come at that time, even though it shouldn't...! Thanks :)[/QUOTE]

I definitely struggle week of period, I've started taking iron supplement. I am due to have mine for big day ! Have considered trying to postpone sep one with medication from gp, but fear this will make me feel horrible .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    You will find yourself requiring more food as the body needs energy for all these miles. Make healthy choices and you'll be fine.

I've definitely been fuelling enough, have just been trying to consume as much natural/unpackaged foods as possible and it's been working. Avoiding bread has been the most difficult. I'm hoping there'll be about a 5Kg difference between FD10 and DCHM, pretty close to that already and I'm not feeling tired/sluggish/ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

How was week 11 for you?

Yes

Yes although LSR probably should’ve been a bit slower. It was by far my favourite LSR to date though and gave me a much needed psychological boost.

Very happy. During that last LSR I felt like I was well able for 26.2. I hope I am in that head space on October 27!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

I did. I do my runs on different days to accommodate my family. I mostly always do my LSR on a Sunday, but this weekend I will be running on Saturday. So exciting!

Hmmm a touch too fast. I need to get some better high-viz gear. I'm running later in the evenings and on some of the dark stretches I want them done quicker, so the pace goes up.

Happy enough I guess. It was a real struggle to get out running last night. I was at a wedding on Saturday and although I wasn't drinking, I was shattered yesterday. I would have given anything to have stayed home, but I got and I did it. I was delighted with myself afterwards, I was a hero in my own mind! I'm not sure how I'm going to attack the half marathon yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

eabha19 wrote: »

Yes although I had to push Thursday's run out to Friday and then, as advised, skipped the strides. Definitely found it harder to squeeze them all in this week and will have to change things around this week too to manage it which will meant doing the 11 mile run tomorrow instead of wed to take advantage of my days off work.

I think so - I find almost everything ends up being around 6:50 min/km pace whether it's easy or LSR or recovery.

I'm happy with my mileage and that I'm pretty much sticking to plan but I do doubt myself and wonder if I really have it in me to do this. At the end of the long run I was pretty wrecked and my legs were so heavy. I certainly did not feel springy and as if I had more in me. I am fairly confident that I'll get to the finish line but don't want to crawl the last 6 miles!

You're doing really well! 20 milers are supposed to be tough. It's all good practice for D day. Also, there's no reason to suggest you will crawl the last six miles - not everyone does; your training has been great to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Yes, all done.

Yes. If anything some were run slower than normal. Tried running the LSR keeping an eye on HR rather than pace. Ran the last recovery run keeping the HR in the 110s or 120s leading to slower average pace. Will come back to looking at running to HR properly after DCM.

I think so. Still have some things to finalise prior to DCM including planned pace and strategy.

Having car trouble at the moment so the Charleville Half is in doubt next weekend.

How was week 11 for you?

Yes i got all the runs done as planned

No, i think the midweek runs went well but i know i pushed too hard on my LSR, i really need to keep my pace to 10mins or more! This is something i am particularly going to work hard on for the coming weeks as i really don't want all my hard work to be for nothing! I don't feel sore or anything but given that i wasn't 100% going out i felt very dizzy on & off for up to an hour after so lesson learned :eek:

Yes i am really happy that i have stuck to the plan & ran distances i never ever imagined i could. As above i just need to zone in more & watch the paces!!

Agreed on the LSR - and very happy to see you recognise the need to keep the pace in check! The distance itself is enough of a challenge.

Hope your grandson is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Having car trouble at the moment so the Charleville Half is in doubt next weekend.

Oh no, that's annoying. Where will you be travelling from? Maybe worth asking in that race thread if anyone is travelling from that area also and beg for a lift ? :)

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Yep - it can have a noticeable impact to the point where Garmin Connect now has a function for tracking your cycle and coaches are beginning to take hormonal changes into account when coaching women. Have a look at this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057987962

Thanks Huzzah!, I'll give this thread a read :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Huzzah!, I'll give this thread a read :)
    pd79 wrote: »

I definitely struggle week of period, I've started taking iron supplement. I am due to have mine for big day ! Have considered trying to postpone sep one with medication from gp, but fear this will make me feel horrible .[/QUOTE]

Heh pd79, glad to hear it's not just me! Will pick up some iron tablets & see how I get on with them too :)

bucky08 wrote: »
    Got my long run in today 26km. Was hoping to reach 28km or even 30km but got a pain in the side of my knee for the last 2km so decided to walk the last 2km home. Hopefully nothing to worry about so I'll wait and see during the week..
    Racing charleville this weekend so if it's still at me I'll change the plan. Apart from the knee all runs went well this week nicely paced. I think I have my routine sorted for the long runs, pasta the night before and actually eating a breakfast the morning of a run.

You've got some consistency going over the past few weeks - nice work, although the paces are still too hot for my liking :). Good luck in Charleville, assuming the knee is ok. Any particular target/plan in mind for it? It's a fast course by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Agreed on the LSR - and very happy to see you recognise the need to keep the pace in check! The distance itself is enough of a challenge.

Hope your grandson is ok?

He's still in hospital on a drip, hoping to see if he can keep his bottles down today. His blood platelets are more than double what they should be so they are waiting on test results back from Crumlin. He's such a good baby, hardly ever cries so tough to see him like this but as i said he is in the best place, fingers crossed we have answers soon!

Thanks a mill for asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Aw Laineyfrecks, I missed your post about your grandson. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and you mind yourself too.

I've started taking magnesium tablets. Just one a day for restless legs at night.

No running for me tonight, i'm going to lift some weights instead. Does anyone find swimming a good compliment for running? Wouldn't mind getting back into the pool this Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Did you complete all the runs on your plan?
    Yes. Another steady week. Only disappointment was falling a shade short of 40 miles for the week, because I didn’t fancy playing tummy roulette for an extra ¼ mile on the recovery run!
    Did you complete all the runs an appropriate pace?
    Yes, slightly quicker with the long mid week run because there was no PMP session this week. Overall happy with the pacing. For the 20 mile ran the second half about 5 minutes quicker than the first half and finished with my fastest mile again, which is really helping the confidence (even if it’s a bit of an unnecessary indulgence).
    Yes. Earlier in the plan I was getting a bit worried about losing pace and not hitting target times over shorter distances, but the way the 19 and 20 mile runs have gone has really helped with confidence and belief in the system. Would love to nail the half marathon target, just to solidify the marathon pace goals, but I won’t be overly worried if I don’t, and I’ll adjust the marathon target if it’s sensible to do so. Weight finally going in the right direction too, down about 5 pounds over the last two weeks, now if I could stop gorging myself over the weekends that could be improved a bit too.

Just got an email with my wave allocation! Exciting times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Just checked and see my email there too. Heart rate went up just looking at it! Wave 2 for me. Will have to check where the pacers are. Think I was optimistic with my projected finish time. Might drop back if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Wave 4 here i come , getting real now ! Can't wait for expo

Just checked and see my email there too. Heart rate went up just looking at it! Wave 2 for me. Will have to check where the pacers are. Think I was optimistic with my projected finish time. Might drop back if needs be.

Makes it feel real now alright! I'm in wave 2 as well. Last year the 4 hour pacers were in wave 3, along with 4:10, 4:20, but could be different this year. It's no hassle to drop back a wave anyway, if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Oh the nerves! Wave 4 for me. When will we know what time bracket that corresponds to? I predicted a time of 4:40 at time of signing up but I'm def going to be at least 4:50 now.

Advertisement