Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Makes it feel real now alright! I'm in wave 2 as well. Last year the 4 hour pacers were in wave 3, along with 4:10, 4:20, but could be different this year. It's no hassle to drop back a wave anyway, if needs be.

Any cause for concern that I havn't got a mail yet re. waves :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Me neither though I've just confirmed that I did indeed pay for a ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

py wrote: »
    Me neither though I've just confirmed that I did indeed pay for a ticket!

Frantically searched for the confirmation email as no email either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

been injured for around 3 weeks and missed runs obviously
    not sure if I can jump back in now or just leave it for this year
    7 weeks seems fairly tight
    hmm

injuries were more to do with a bike accident than running related and have all fully healed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Wave 3 for me, that was with my aspirational thoughts at sign-up of 4:30. I think I'll be closer to 4:45.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Mine arrived too - wave 3 for me! I can't remember what time I gave when I signed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I wouldn't worry just yet, others in the same boat too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    Yes, all done. A happier week for me :)

Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    I changed tack this week. I decided to start running to pace, rather than to HR, although I did keep an eye on HR all the same.
    I was, to be honest, getting frustrated with the HR training. I like the idea of it, but I think you need many months of doing it to really start getting concurrent consistency with realistic pacing. The 5 months I've given it so far have most certainly brought improvements, but to get the full benefit of it, 5 months wasnt enough for me.
    So, I found running to pace was a real release for me. I was getting frustrated and annoyed with my watch beeping at me when my HR went over the limit, feeling that I wanted to keep a half decent pace up, but my bloody watch and heart wouldn't let me!
    I felt strong and comfortable once I could dictate my pace, and, here's the thing, my average HRs didn't climb by any appreciable amount for this change of tack! I'm feeling more confident now after a good week of strong (for me) running:
    Tuesday (last day of HR... for half of the run!) 4 miles, 11:10 mins/mile, avg HR 142bpm
    Wednesday 8 miles, 11:06 mins/mile, avg HR 142 bpm
    Thursday 4 miles, 10:52 mins/mile, avg HR 142 bpm
    Saturday 18.6 miles (30k... woohoo!), 11:46 mins/mile, avg HR 149 bpm

Are you happy with your progress to this point?
    Now I'm happier, after being a bit frustrated last week. Pacing on the 30k lsr was good and consistent, slowing a bit towards the end in hilly territory, but happy that despite feeling tired, i managed to squish those mental doubts that I could sustain a decent (for me :)) pace over the furthest distance I've ever run!

Well done to everyone on your LSRs over the weekend! It was great seeing all of them clocking up on Strava!

Laineyfrecks, will be keeping everything crossed for the little man, hope he's back to full health very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Oh no, that's annoying. Where will you be travelling from? Maybe worth asking in that race thread if anyone is travelling from that area also and beg for a lift ? :)
    Thanks. Car might be fixed for Friday so fingers crossed.
    If there was reasonably priced accommodation in Charleville I could stay the Saturday night there as I'm passing on the train on Saturday evening but any options I see are either too expensive or too far outside town.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

How was week 11 for you?

All completed successfully, despite some self doubts creeping in.

Yeah. GPS messed up on Tuesdays run, but it was at correct effort level.

I've had a few niggling doubts about whether I'd be able for this, but the sessions and long runs are definitely starting to build my confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Oh the nerves! Wave 4 for me. When will we know what time bracket that corresponds to? I predicted a time of 4:40 at time of signing up but I'm def going to be at least 4:50 now.
    DBB wrote: »
    Wave 3 for me, that was with my aspirational thoughts at sign-up of 4:30. I think I'll be closer to 4:45.

It's fine to drop down a wave, so I wouldn't worry.

How was week 11 for you?

All completed successfully, despite some self doubts creeping in.

Yeah. GPS messed up on Tuesdays run, but it was at correct effort level.

I've had a few niggling doubts about whether I'd be able for this, but the sessions and long runs are definitely starting to build my confidence.

It's just been weeks of relentless training and when you're tired, the doubts creep in. Of course you're well able. You'll be rearing to go after the taper.

DBB wrote: »
    Yes, all done. A happier week for me :)

I changed tack this week. I decided to start running to pace, rather than to HR, although I did keep an eye on HR all the same.
    I was, to be honest, getting frustrated with the HR training. I like the idea of it, but I think you need many months of doing it to really start getting concurrent consistency with realistic pacing. The 5 months I've given it so far have most certainly brought improvements, but to get the full benefit of it, 5 months wasnt enough for me.
    So, I found running to pace was a real release for me. I was getting frustrated and annoyed with my watch beeping at me when my HR went over the limit, feeling that I wanted to keep a half decent pace up, but my bloody watch and heart wouldn't let me!
    I felt strong and comfortable once I could dictate my pace, and, here's the thing, my average HRs didn't climb by any appreciable amount for this change of tack! I'm feeling more confident now after a good week of strong (for me) running:
    Tuesday (last day of HR... for half of the run!) 4 miles, 11:10 mins/mile, avg HR 142bpm
    Wednesday 8 miles, 11:06 mins/mile, avg HR 142 bpm
    Thursday 4 miles, 10:52 mins/mile, avg HR 142 bpm
    Saturday 18.6 miles (30k... woohoo!), 11:46 mins/mile, avg HR 149 bpm

Now I'm happier, after being a bit frustrated last week. Pacing on the 30k lsr was good and consistent, slowing a bit towards the end in hilly territory, but happy that despite feeling tired, i managed to squish those mental doubts that I could sustain a decent (for me :)) pace over the furthest distance I've ever run!

Well done to everyone on your LSRs over the weekend! It was great seeing all of them clocking up on Strava!

Laineyfrecks, will be keeping everything crossed for the little man, hope he's back to full health very soon.

HR has always worked better as a guide for me rather than a hard cap. But, I have to ask, what are you basing your paces on? It all sounds too quick...

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

4 runs last week.
    5 miles Tuesday
    8 miles Wednesday
    5 miles Thursday
    18 miles Saturday
    I didn't do a recovery run on Sunday as I was at a party Saturday night that ended late. I had a different type of recovery yesterday to deal with!

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yep. Slow and steady.

- Are you happy with your progress to this point?

Yeah. I haven't missed any runs and I'm injury free (touch wood). It's all gotten very real in the last week or so. When someone said the marathon is next month I nearly collapsed. I got the email telling me I'm in wave 3 this afternoon too.

Quick question. Is it OK to not take any gels on your LSR? I didn't last Saturday. I had my water and felt fine. I've taken them for other runs and had no ill effects so I should be fine on the day.

jackc101 wrote: »
    All bar skipping the recovery run on Sunday
    Yep, pace seems good to me :P
    Very happy, after this past weekend I'm finally out of my wedding season of three weekends on the trot, no insult to the respective stags and then brides and grooms but I can get back on schedule :cool: Saturdays 20M went great, went fully pre race schedule & rig out, proper sleep & then fueling, looped past the house to refill H2O & gels. Was a touch fast actually but felt great after. Well enough to throw a few shapes on the wedding dance floor that night... :o

Sounds like great cross training ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Just checked and see my email there too. Heart rate went up just looking at it! Wave 2 for me. Will have to check where the pacers are. Think I was optimistic with my projected finish time. Might drop back if needs be.

Wave 1 pacers 3.00, 3.10,3.20
    Wave 2 pacers 3.30,3.40,3.50
    Wave 3 pacers 4.00,4.10,4.20
    wave 4 pacers 4.30,4.40,4.50,5.00

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Got my email too - wave 4! It definitely makes it feel real - real scary, real exciting too!

been injured for around 3 weeks and missed runs obviously
    not sure if I can jump back in now or just leave it for this year
    7 weeks seems fairly tight
    hmm

injuries were more to do with a bike accident than running related and have all fully healed

What had you been doing before you got injured? I don't think DCM is out of the question but perhaps a time goal might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Great to see everyones progress! Well done!

I'm back in the saddle, ramping up the milage to test the legs and taking it one run at a time after 4 weeks out since Rock n' Roll half.

Excited to see today's email. I'm wave 3 as well.
    Just need to get there uninjured now....

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

Week 11
    Yes, all done, in what was a modified week for me.

Was happy with paces.
    Mon - 4 miles 10:15/m
    Tues - 5 miles 10:20/m
    Thurs - 4 miles 10:10/m
    Sat - 15 miles 10:40/m (couple of them at PMP near the end)
    Sun - 3 miles 11:00/m

Yes and no. Feel I missed out on 10mile race, 19 & 20mile LSR's, even though I know I'm really not far off where I would have been. Heel is holding up so that's good. My last marathon I struggled badly in last 7 miles, and got home in 4h20m. I would like to beat that, without the struggle this time. I think I'm on track for that, even taking into account the injury. Looking forward to this week. (Pushed my Sub4 aim out to DCM2020, *winking emoji here*)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

All the cool kids are in wave 3.

Rega wrote: »

4 runs last week.
    5 miles Tuesday
    8 miles Wednesday
    5 miles Thursday
    18 miles Saturday
    I didn't do a recovery run on Sunday as I was at a party Saturday night that ended late. I had a different type of recovery yesterday to deal with!

Yep. Slow and steady.

Yeah. I haven't missed any runs and I'm injury free (touch wood). It's all gotten very real in the last week or so. When someone said the marathon is next month I nearly collapsed. I got the email telling me I'm in wave 3 this afternoon too.

Quick question. Is it OK to not take any gels on your LSR? I didn't last Saturday. I had my water and felt fine. I've taken them for other runs and had no ill effects so I should be fine on the day.

You could try a gel during a PMP run to see how they go down at MP. I would also do a dress rehearsal LR where I practice everything that I will do on the day itself, including taking gels at the frequency I would during the marathon. Both these suggestions are definitely optional, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Wave 1 pacers 3.00, 3.10,3.20
    Wave 2 pacers 3.30,3.40,3.50
    Wave 3 pacers 4.00,4.10,4.20
    wave 4 pacers 4.30,4.40,4.50,5.00
    Ok, stupid question time.......

If I'm in wave 3 and want to follow the 3.50 pacers am I SOL or how does it work? Have never run in a race with waves before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Ok, stupid question time.......

If I'm in wave 3 and want to follow the 3.50 pacers am I SOL or how does it work? Have never run in a race with waves before.

The start area is extremely well and strictly marshalled. You will not be able to move up a wave to Wave 2 to run with the 3:50 pacers. They are quite happy to let runners drop down to a slower wave on the day.

Each wave has a different colour number and congregates on different streets before the start. There are numerous volunteers checking that the right coloured numbers are allowed entry to the appropriate street.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TurboTerror

Any past participants know how easy it is to get move up in the wave allocations?
    Having entered last November I just put down a time. Now I know I should have put a faster time. Flip. I’ve sent the email to change but I wonder what are the chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Got the email early this evening, I'm in wave 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

py wrote: »
    Got the email early this evening, I'm in wave 2.

Yep me too and also wave 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

All the cool kids are in wave 3.

Wave 4 here! Party’s at the back of the pack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ais_Byrne7

No, I missed a 4 mile on Thursday.....eeeek sorry sorry sorry! I wasn't feeling the best during the week and felt more beneficial to skip, sleep and prepare for the weekend's LSR.

Think i'm finally slowing down to the pace I should be at (I hope)...but this week I must say has been the toughest one for me yet. I think it was just one of "those".

4m @ 10.43
    8m @11.20
    16m @ 11.41

- Are you happy with your progress to this point
    I'm extremely proud of the distances I'm now overcoming - I never would have thought this was within my grasp, but turns out with hard work and dedication it sure is!! :)

Wishing everyone a good one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Any past participants know how easy it is to get move up in the wave allocations?
    Having entered last November I just put down a time. Now I know I should have put a faster time. Flip. I’ve sent the email to change but I wonder what are the chances.

For anyone thinking of sending an email to request a Wave change.....The organisers are very experienced. They most likely will not be impressed by a generic "I really know I can run faster now" email. You would need a recent race result to indicate that the wave you have been assigned is radically different to that which your race time merits. Attach a screenshot from myrunresults, Popupraces or whichever timing company provided the results. The longer the distance the better. It's probably best to wait until after the DCM half and to be able to provide them with a result that merits reassignation.

Advertisement