Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

skyblue46 wrote: »
    For anyone thinking of sending an email to request a Wave change.....The organisers are very experienced. They most likely will not be impressed by a generic "I really know I can run faster now" email. You would need a recent race result to indicate that the wave you have been assigned is radically different to that which your race time merits. Attach a screenshot from myrunresults, Popupraces or whichever timing company provided the results. The longer the distance the better. It's probably best to wait until after the DCM half and to be able to provide them with a result that merits reassignation.

Yes, this is what I did but I sent the email before they released the extra 2,500 entries back in June/July. Originally I put 3.45/3.50 as my finishing time so I would've been in Wave 2 I think.

I emailed them with my result in the Cork Half marathon and the Great Railway Run and said I was training for 3.30. Got a reply to say they changed my finishing time to 3.30. Got my email today and was in Wave 1. Not sure why as the 3.30 pacers are in Wave 2!!??

From their FAQs, request to move up waves ends on Sept 23rd - http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/frequently-asked-questions/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Doc76 wrote: »
    Wave 4 here! Party’s at the back of the pack :)

Woo hoo party at the back ;) i am also in wave 4 - shur it will be the best craic ever :D

Woo hoo party at the back ;) i am also in wave 4 - shur it will be the best craic ever :D

I'd be emailing them to request to move up to wave 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Treviso wrote: »
    Yes, this is what I did but I sent the email before they released the extra 2,500 entries back in June/July. Originally I put 3.45/3.50 as my finishing time so I would've been in Wave 2 I think.

I emailed them with my result in the Cork Half marathon and the Great Railway Run and said I was training for 3.30. Got a reply to say they changed my finishing time to 3.30. Got my email today and was in Wave 1. Not sure why as the 3.30 pacers are in Wave 2!!??

From their FAQs, request to move up waves ends on Sept 23rd - http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/frequently-asked-questions/

Yep, that date is after the Dublin half for that very reason.

I was in wave 1 last year and the slowest pacers were 3:20...maybe it's different this year but I'd be inclined to plan for not having 3:30 pacers in that wave.

And I'd be changing that to a request for Wave 2

• Advertisement

I'm gonna see how i get on Sat at my half marathon race 1st, hopefully get a decent time!!

Yep, that date is after the Dublin half for that very reason.

I was in wave 1 last year and the slowest pacers were 3:20...maybe it's different this year but I'd be inclined to plan for not having 3:30 pacers in that wave.

Yep, 3.30 pacers are in Wave 2, strange that they put me in 1. Anyway, I can either drop down to wave 2 or wait till most of Wave 1 is off and start off with less traffic in front of me. Any previous runner do the 2nd option?

Yep, 3.30 pacers are in Wave 2, strange that they put me in 1. Anyway, I can either drop down to wave 2 or wait till most of Wave 1 is off and start off with less traffic in front of me. Any previous runner do the 2nd option?

I did it last year. I was one of the last to cross the start line from wave 1...I decided it would be much less congested than the front of wave 2 and that I'd be back in McGrattans earlier than if I started in wave 2 :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Wow, I'd think that you should be in 3 or higher Lainey. You're really fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

kyomi wrote: »
    Do I feel like I can run a marathon? Yes and no. Yes, I feel like if I did it at my LSR pace I could probably finish it - I've done 20 miles and it wasn't too bad. But could I go any faster? Right now I'm not sure, and that's what I'm most apprehensive about at the moment.
    You just did 20 miles on tired legs - there are still 4 intense weeks of training left, followed by a lovely taper. Right now you couldn't run 26.2 miles at your planned pace, but in 7 weeks time? No bother! :p
    Wombled wrote: »
    All runs completed,
    4 miles 12/mile
    7.82 miles 11.55/ mile( had to cut the run short as fell trying to make up the last bit. A few cuts, nothing Major, thankfully.
    4 miles 11.28/ mile
    16 miles 12.01/ mile

Happy enough with how the plan is going, will continue with the stretching and foam rolling daily. Back to normal after Saturday run.

This week I have to bring runs forward. Working nights at the weekend so I have to do my LSR on Thursday.

Can't believe how real its all becoming
    Be careful with how you structure the rest of your week - if you must move the LSR then push the 8 mile midweek run to the Sunday. I'd still like to see those paces a touch slower too.
    frash wrote: »
    Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    Just back from hols but yes - took your advice and only did 10 miles on Saturday seeing as I's done 16 on the Tuesday.

Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    Yes - to be honest I'm very happy with the easy pace and worry that I couldn't run faster if I had to. I know I had the same doubts when doing the Dun Laoghaire 10km and managed it in the end but don't think there'll be any PBs from me at the HM in 2 weeks.

Are you happy with your progress to this point?
    I'm trusting the plan and I'm still slightly ahead of the HHN1.
    Will do 14 miles on Saturday as opposed to the 12 in the plan (as suggested by you).
    Need to do some foam rolling - can feel a tightness in my calves.

Nice week. You might surprise yourself in the HM as well!

• Advertisement

How was week 11 for you?

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yes although LSR probably should’ve been a bit slower. It was by far my favourite LSR to date though and gave me a much needed psychological boost.

- Are you happy with your progress to this point?

Very happy. During that last LSR I felt like I was well able for 26.2. I hope I am in that head space on October 27!!
    Great to see such positivity! You are going really well in training - just beware that this week is a slight step-back, so don't overdo it on the mileage front.
    Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    I did. I do my runs on different days to accommodate my family. I mostly always do my LSR on a Sunday, but this weekend I will be running on Saturday. So exciting!

Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    Hmmm a touch too fast. I need to get some better high-viz gear. I'm running later in the evenings and on some of the dark stretches I want them done quicker, so the pace goes up.

Are you happy with your progress to this point?
    Happy enough I guess. It was a real struggle to get out running last night. I was at a wedding on Saturday and although I wasn't drinking, I was shattered yesterday. I would have given anything to have stayed home, but I got and I did it. I was delighted with myself afterwards, I was a hero in my own mind! I'm not sure how I'm going to attack the half marathon yet.
    Well done for getting out last night, great dedication. Yeah, it definitely pays to be prepared when it comes to running at this time if year.
    Aw Laineyfrecks, I missed your post about your grandson. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and you mind yourself too.

I've started taking magnesium tablets. Just one a day for restless legs at night.

No running for me tonight, i'm going to lift some weights instead. Does anyone find swimming a good compliment for running? Wouldn't mind getting back into the pool this Winter.
    Swimming is a great compliment for running - it is low impact and utilises different muscle groups - an ideal cross-training activity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Huzzah! wrote: »
    HR has always worked better as a guide for me rather than a hard cap. But, I have to ask, what are you basing your paces on? It all sounds too quick...

Ooohhh... I had a feeling this would be the first time I'll ever have been told by anybody that I'm going too fast :D
    I always had McMillan's suggested paces in the back of my head, waiting for the day they'd somewhat align with the HR training.
    According to the McMillan calculator, based on my most recent HM time of 2:16, and with an aspirational 4:30 marathon (so, PMP of 10:18mins/mile), his suggested training paces are:
    For easy runs: 10:42 to 11:31 mins/mile
    For LSRs: 10:44 to 11:57 mins/mile

Do they seem right?:o
    Now, a couple of the easy runs last week, I will tell you, were a little faster than intended for one reason... I had a great tailwind pushing me along, so much so that I pretty much couldn't run any slower! I tried, I promise, but I don't think my first few paced runs necessarily reflect what they'll be under more normal circumstances. I think my more "normal" paced easy runs will be closer to the slower end of McMillan's range, which is fine by me!
    The LSR was 11:46mins/mile... that's okay, is it? :o

DBB wrote: »
    Ooohhh... I had a feeling this would be the first time I'll ever have been told by anybody that I'm going too fast :D
    I always had McMillan's suggested paces in the back of my head, waiting for the day they'd somewhat align with the HR training.
    According to the McMillan calculator, based on my most recent HM time of 2:16, and with an aspirational 4:30 marathon (so, PMP of 10:18mins/mile), his suggested training paces are:
    For easy runs: 10:42 to 11:31 mins/mile
    For LSRs: 10:44 to 11:57 mins/mile

Do they seem right?:o
    Now, a couple of the easy runs last week, I will tell you, were a little faster than intended for one reason... I had a great tailwind pushing me along, so much so that I pretty much couldn't run any slower! I tried, I promise, but I don't think my first few paced runs necessarily reflect what they'll be under more normal circumstances. I think my more "normal" paced easy runs will be closer to the slower end of McMillan's range, which is fine by me!
    The LSR was 11:46mins/mile... that's okay, is it? :o

I'm confused.. how does a 2:16 half equate to a 4:30 full? It's more likely to be 4:50/5:00 hours all going well. Training to 4:30 paces wouldn't be advised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Wow, I'd think that you should be in 3 or higher Lainey. You're really fast.

Totally agree! You’re speedy Lainey!!

Aw Laineyfrecks, I missed your post about your grandson. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and you mind yourself too.

I've started taking magnesium tablets. Just one a day for restless legs at night.

No running for me tonight, i'm going to lift some weights instead. Does anyone find swimming a good compliment for running? Wouldn't mind getting back into the pool this Winter.

Sorry passed right by this!! Thanks a mill :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm confused.. how does a 2:16 half equate to a 4:30 full? It's more likely to be 4:50/5:00 hours all going well. Training to 4:30 paces wouldn't be advised.

I did say it was aspirational:D
    I had originally aspired to doing the marathon in 4:30. That seemed perhaps possible after a good 10mile race in July (9:59 mins/mile), but the HM last weekend has confirmed that I may review the marathon to 4:45 or thereabouts. Reviewing the marathon to the slower time made no difference to McMillan's suggested training paces.

Edited to add: reviewing the marathon out to 5 hours also makes no difference to the suggested training paces.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Got the email, I seem to have been over exuberant and am in wave 1. Not likely that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TurboTerror

For anyone thinking of sending an email to request a Wave change.....The organisers are very experienced. They most likely will not be impressed by a generic "I really know I can run faster now" email. You would need a recent race result to indicate that the wave you have been assigned is radically different to that which your race time merits. Attach a screenshot from myrunresults, Popupraces or whichever timing company provided the results. The longer the distance the better. It's probably best to wait until after the DCM half and to be able to provide them with a result that merits reassignation.

Thanks for that, ill do that so. Originally put 4hrs down (first marathon). Ran a 3/4 on Saturday and ran 2.27 so ill attach that result to justify the move.

I had originally aspired to doing the marathon in 4:30. That seemed perhaps possible after a good 10mile race in July (9:59 mins/mile), but the HM last weekend has confirmed that I may review the marathon to 4:45 or thereabouts. Reviewing the marathon to the slower time made no difference to McMillan's suggested training paces.

Edited to add: reviewing the marathon out to 5 hours also makes no difference to the suggested training paces.

I'd not be familiar with McMillan but I'd be worried about any training plan that suggests the same training paces for marathon targets that are 30 mins apart. That's over a minute a mile.

If we work for the moment off a 4:50/55 marathon, so a PMP of 11:10/20, then I'd put your easy pace in the 12-12:30/mile range.

• Advertisement

Haha speedy at the shorter distances but not too sure about a full marathon:eek:

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    Great to see everyones progress! Well done!

I'm back in the saddle, ramping up the milage to test the legs and taking it one run at a time after 4 weeks out since Rock n' Roll half.

Excited to see today's email. I'm wave 3 as well.
    Just need to get there uninjured now....

Great to see you back at it. Be careful not to do too much too soon - keep the mileage well in check this week.

Haha speedy at the shorter distances but not too sure about a full marathon:eek:

You're getting top quality advice! ,:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    Great to see everyones progress! Well done!

I'm back in the saddle, ramping up the milage to test the legs and taking it one run at a time after 4 weeks out since Rock n' Roll half.

Excited to see today's email. I'm wave 3 as well.
    Just need to get there uninjured now....

Absolutely thrilled for you! It's not easy being injured and watching everyone getting on with their runs, but what most of the other members of this thread don't know is that for the past 4 weeks you were still out there every Saturday, volunteering at parkrun and encouraging the rest of us along with a big smile and friendly face.

Welcome back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I'd not be familiar with McMillan but I'd be worried about any training plan that suggests the same training paces for marathon targets that are 30 mins apart. That's over a minute a mile.

McMillan uses your actual race times to suggest training paces. I assume it asks for your planned upcoming race time just to give you training paces for your PMP runs (if in your plan).

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

Got my email confirmation too yesterday eve - Wave 3 which Im hoping will suit nicely pace wise!!
    It definitely all feels a lot more real now and a real sense that these last 7 weeks are going to fly by!
    Thoughts definitely turning towards the Dublin Half now to see where Im at race wise over that distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Anyone use the gel belt that was part of the goody bag for South Dublin 10k? I tried to use it for long run on Saturday but the High5 Aqua gels just started falling out within half a mile. Is there some trick to securing the gels? The elastic doesn’t seem tight enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Anyone use the gel belt that was part of the goody bag for South Dublin 10k? I tried to use it for long run on Saturday but the High5 Aqua gels just started falling out within half a mile. Is there some trick to securing the gels? The elastic doesn’t seem tight enough.

I recently bought a "flipbelt", and think it's class :) It was dear enough - 30 euro, but it sits tight to you, I had my phone, keys and gels & sweets in it last few weeks and it stays put and nothing falls out of it. It has little slits that you can slip stuff into, and then a little thing to attach your keys. Magic :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

I recently bought a "flipbelt", and think it's class :) It was dear enough - 30 euro, but it sits tight to you, I had my phone, keys and gels & sweets in it last few weeks and it stays put and nothing falls out of it. It has little slits that you can slip stuff into, and then a little thing to attach your keys. Magic :)
    Flip belts are great.
    If you want more just order them from China on Ali Express can be got for a couple of euro or so each.
    I bought 3 of them for €10
    They aren't branded as FlipBelt but are exactly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    You've got some consistency going over the past few weeks - nice work, although the paces are still too hot for my liking :). Good luck in Charleville, assuming the knee is ok. Any particular target/plan in mind for it? It's a fast course by all accounts.

Well Mr Guappa my knee seems to be getting better I think its down to running on the roads the last few weeks , I had been doing 90% of my runs in the dundrum woods area which is softer ground.
    I would hope to finish charleville under 1:55 mins that would be a PB for me but as long as I finish it with no niggles I will be happy.

Advertisement