Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

DolG wrote: »
    Thank you.
    Started running 2012, no sporting history at all. Not a natural athlete. Worked very hard.
    Best 10K 2013: 49.50.
    2014, first 10 mile Ballycotton : 1:23. Best 5K : 23.03, 3K : 13.16.
    Had slipped disc L3/4. Got back gently.
    2015 one year later bad fall swollen knees x 1-2 years.
    Trying to get back since.
    Putting down a base since Nov 2018. Not able to push for times. Best 10mikes 97mins
    Run mostly 4 times /week. Mid week very haphazard. Yoga class x1. Salsa dancing x1.
    Have done 16 miles x 2. General stiffness afterwards. Can’t imagine doing 10.2 more. Biggest problem is tummy......
    Marathon is a bucket list thing. Not aiming for a time, aiming to get to the starting line uninjured and then on finishing.

Welcome!

I've just taken a look through your recent strava history and you are getting in good consistent weekly mileage. But it's all too fast. Based on your recent 10 mile and 10k times you should keep the long run and easy mileage paces in the 12min/mile region. Give it a go and you should find everything a lot more manageable - as well as being more beneficial toward helping develop a strong aerobic base.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

just a general questions but can someone please help me understand how running slower paces helps build a stronger aerobic base than running faster? am sure it is simple but am just not understanding the link

if you run 10k in 45min or 60min how does the 45min one benefit you more in terms of fitness? guessing it is something to do with heart rate being slower?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

just a general questions but can someone please help me understand how running slower paces helps build a stronger aerobic base than running faster? am sure it is simple but am just not understanding the link

if you run 10k in 45min or 60min how does the 45min one benefit you more in terms of fitness? guessing it is something to do with heart rate being slower?

Have a gander at some notes from 2016.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99741843&postcount=390

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101236508&postcount=4331

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101237156&postcount=4334

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

thanks, will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Almost 2/3 of the way through folks, keep the legs moving! :)

Quote from a podcast I regularly listen to which is relevant to sticking to the distance and paces of the respective plans:
    Rather face the pain of discipline than the pain of regret

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 ByrneDCMbrian

Hi folks just a question haven't got out since Tuesday missed the PMP run yesterday as was in Galway with work only heading back to Dublin now. Just wonder will I run tomorrow as doing lrs on Saturday. Do I run 6 miles tomorrow at very easy pace

Hi folks just a question haven't got out since Tuesday missed the PMP run yesterday as was in Galway with work only heading back to Dublin now. Just wonder will I run tomorrow as doing lrs on Saturday. Do I run 6 miles tomorrow at very easy pace

Yes, it seems like a good idea to get in some easy paced miles tomorrow, although I'd cap it at 3 or 4 max. Try to avoid a late Friday/early Saturday double as well.

There is a Charleville Half thread here which may be of use to those of you racing there this weekend.

The 2018 thread is here and there is a course preview here.

By all accounts it's a great race and reading those threads has me very envious of those running it this weekend.

Looking forward to the reports :)

py wrote: »
    Almost 2/3 of the way through folks, keep the legs moving! :)

Quote from a podcast I regularly listen to which is relevant to sticking to the distance and paces of the respective plans:
    Rather face the pain of discipline than the pain of regret

I like that quote :)

Pretty apt advice this week too, as I've noticed a few people haven't logged the miles we'd expect. I know there are some tapering slightly for Half marathons, which is fine, but for others - is there some general malaise that we are not aware of? These are key weeks and you really do need to be getting in those midweek miles. Let us know if any issues have popped up for you - here to assist as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

None marathon related post...My gorgeous grandson Leon came home from hospital, all is well with him thank god :) Thanks for all the lovely wishes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Disastrous week ! Did 9k last night but that was all. Combination of tiredness from 16 mile LSR, , 2nd child birthday party last night and being referred to St james for something, hopefully will be ok.
    All set for 12 miles on sat and getting back to it.

None marathon related post...My gorgeous grandson Leon came home from hospital, all is well with him thank god :) Thanks for all the lovely wishes ;)

That's great to hear - thanks for the update :)

pd79 wrote: »
    Disastrous week ! Did 9k last night but that was all. Combination of tiredness from 16 mile LSR, , 2nd child birthday party last night and being referred to St james for something, hopefully will be ok.

It's not disastrous by any means. You got in one run and you'll get in your long run too - sometimes life gets in the way and we just have to juggle running as best we can. Hope the James' referral is nothing serious.

On the tiredness after the 16 miler - a certain amount is to be expected, and this is where recovery and sleep can play an important part. It's not always easy with family activities of course, but do try and eat a decent snack in the hour or two following a run, and get in a good night's rest too. Only a handful more heavy weeks to go :) A sneaky 2 miler tomorrow or Sunday won't do any harm either if you feel like it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

That's brilliant news!

I sympathise pd79. This week has been crazy! It has definitely been tough - I found it particularly tiring to be honest so much so that I had to have a 45min nap before Wed's PMP session, even though I'm logging 8hrs sleep most nights for the past 2weeks, and the nights I'm not getting 8, I'm getting 7.5

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It's not disastrous by any means. You got in one run and you'll get in your long run too - sometimes life gets in the way and we just have to juggle running as best we can. Hope the James' referral is nothing :D

Thank Mr Guappa, tbh I'm terrible at eating after runs, dont think I ate for 3 hours after weekends LSR, which i had to do sunday which prob didnt help either. Will work on that for sat
    Cheers

Hope the referral is nothing too serious. Best of luck with the lsr Sat :)

Thank Mr Guappa, tbh I'm terrible at eating after runs, dont think I ate for 3 hours after weekends LSR, which i had to do sunday which prob didnt help either. Will work on that for sat
    Cheers

I love a mooju chocolate milk immediately after my run - it has the perfect balance of carbs and protein to kickstart recovery. I'll follow that up with something more substantial in the following hour or two. Sometimes it helps to have something prepared beforehand, as we'll obviously be in no mood for cooking straight after a long run :pac:

Article here on the topic, with a few snack ideas also.

I love a mooju chocolate milk immediately after my run - it has the perfect balance of carbs and protein to kickstart recovery. I'll follow that up with something more substantial in the following hour or two. Sometimes it helps to have something prepared beforehand, as we'll obviously be in no mood for cooking straight after a long run :pac:

Article here on the topic, with a few snack ideas also.

Snap my go to after a run is also mooju milk but has to be strawberry!! Can't hack chocolate milk :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I tried the mooju chocolate milk after it was recommended in this thread. I didn't expect to like it as I'm not much of a fan of cocoa/hot chocolate and this tastes like a cold version of cocoa but I've got used to it.
    I tried the strawberry flavour last week and was expecting it to be nicer but it was very disappointing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Absolutely thrilled to hear this lainey :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hope all is ok pd79 :)
    I started taking a few glugs of just milk (well... lactose free milk) when I get in from a run. I've actually start craving it now towards the end of each run :o It takes me at least an hour to want to eat after a run, but at least you know you've done the basics if you glug some milk in the few mins after you get home :)

Snap my go to after a run is also mooju milk but has to be strawberry!! Can't hack chocolate milk :eek:

I've never gone near the strawberry but I've chanced the banana flavour once or twice when I was stuck - not too bad, but nowhere near as good as the chocolate. Avonmore had a blueberry flavour after one of my recent races - gave that a wide berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

The only time my kids have chocolate milk is with me after I come in from a run. They love it when I go running! Definitely helps on the days when I'm tired and wavering on whether to go out or not. "Daddy, why aren't you running today?" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

This is heresy!!! Chocolate is King :D

(I can however strongly recommend the Cookies n Cream version for those with a sweet tooth)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Got the 3 midweek runs done... Monday 7km Wednesday 8km and 13km last night. I'm away this evening until tomorrow night so I'm doing the LSR Sunday morning with a friend who is also doing the Half next weekend. Looking forward to it now!!

Also just realised after syncing the new watch with Strava after I was prompted, all my old runs from the old watch were automatically synced to it so I didn't lose any information after the watch got damaged. Happy days!

rizzee wrote: »
    Got the 3 midweek runs done... Monday 7km Wednesday 8km and 13km last night. I'm away this evening until tomorrow night so I'm doing the LSR Sunday morning with a friend who is also doing the Half next weekend. Looking forward to it now!!

Also just realised after syncing the new watch with Strava after I was prompted, all my old runs from the old watch were automatically synced to it so I didn't lose any information after the watch got damaged. Happy days!

Wait... You're on Strava, but haven't joined on Strava group? :eek:. I am shocked :)

Best of luck with the LSR on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ByrneDCMbrian

Yes, it seems like a good idea to get in some easy paced miles tomorrow, although I'd cap it at 3 or 4 max. Try to avoid a late Friday/early Saturday double as well.

Thanks for the advice I'll get out this morning and do the easy 4 mile. Just wasn't 100% sure. Thanks again Mr Guappa for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

DBB wrote: »
    Absolutely thrilled to hear this lainey :)

Ditto! Welcome home to the little man. Glad to hear all is well Lainey. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Oh guys i'm way behind this week on the mileage. Just a bad week in terms of matches, training, other half training, work, housework etc. I started off the week great with two good gym sessions and I ran on Wednesday. I had planned for 8 miles, but cut it short (tired, cranky, hungry), with a plan to do 8 on Thursday. Last night I was at another match (GAA club = my second home) and we were late getting home. Then it was homework, showers etc. By the time I could have gone out it was after 9pm again!!!! I had a bit of a rant, as i'm really fed up with late night running, my options with footpaths and lighting are fairly limited and I can't run in the mornings, as my husband trains at 6am.

Rant over!! I'll be running tonight before sundown, maybe a short one tomorrow and i'll do my LSR as usual this Sunday. Not ideal, as I have a social event tomorrow night, but I'll stay on the dry AGAIN. I'll be twisted on one G&T post-DCM in McGrattans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Ditto! Welcome home to the little man. Glad to hear all is well Lainey. :)

Yes great to hear this Lainey!

And pd79 hope all ok

Advertisement