Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Doc76 wrote: »
    Good week last week and the 12 mile LSR didn’t seem so long which I guess is the point all this training :)

Learned? That proper fuel and sleep really do the trick. Aiming to be in bed by 10 for rest of the week fingers crossed I stick with it.

Looking forward to racing on Saturday and well done to everyone who raced over last weekend.

Parking question for Saturday... it seems the 1/2 is around the perimeter of the park so does this means there’s no parking in all those little lots within the park? Last race I parked in the cricket car park which worked a treat.
    Being a culchie I can't offer much in the way of parking advice, but there is a Race Series thread here which includes some chat on parking options, as well as some useful info on the course profile.

DBB wrote: »
    How was Week 12 for you?
    Good, once it got going! All runs done. I was on holidays in the wesht, so some lovely new spots to run in fab scenery. Got a couple of good cross-training swimming sessions in too... getting out of the pool sweating must mean it's a good workout! Thoughts of triathlons flickering in the back of my head.
    I slowed things down as best I could without breaking into a walk.
    Runs were
    Tuesday 4 miles @ 11:47mins/mile, avg bpm 134
    Wednesday 8 miles @ 11:39mins/mile, avg bpm 141
    Thursday 5 miles on the treadmill (yawn) due to abysmal weather, with plenty of inclines thrown in to make it harder, 11:32mins/mile, avg bpm 144
    Saturday 14.7 miles @ 11.40mins/mile, avg bpm 144. This included 3 faster miles at the end. I'd read that it can be good for your head to push yourself in the last few miles of a long run, and yes, I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to push it out instead of just slogging home!
    A good week for me, both physically and in my head, as I'd started out the week second-guessing myself and feeling doubtful about it all... not like me as I'm quite a positive kinda person.

What did you learn this week?
    1. Porridge is the. Best. Breakfast. DCM has reignited a lifelong love of the stuff. The superest super food of deliciousness :)
    2. I can stay disciplined even when I'm on holliers :D
    2. Don't let yourself or others make you doubt yourself when you know you've put the work in! :)

Well done to all with your brilliant HM results over the weekend... delighted for you all seeing the results appearing on Strava! And to all of ye getting the LSRs done... not too many left now! Eek! :o
    Thanks to our mentors, that's another week down!
    All the very best to everyone doing Dublin HM on Saturday... will be with you in spirit :)
    Doubts are inevitable part of the process. Just be reassured that you will be among the best-prepared runners in the race in six weeks time. In terms of training, fueling, preparation and course knowledge - you will be ready :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this bucky. I had checked the results and seen you came in behind where you anticipated so knew something was up. You've done the right thing anyway by getting to the physio - hopefully it's something that will be a simple fix. Did the physio give an indication as to what the issue Is?

Hi Mr Guappa

Physio thinks it's weak calf muscles.. so I have a lot of work to do if I'm gonna be anywhere near the starting line... But the physio still thinks that there is time so hopefully it all works out..

Combination of me stopping cross training the last two months and starting doing all my runs on the road which has caused it..

Managed to get my 20k LSR out of the way before the rain started for once which was nice, usually I pick the absolute worst times possible.

Though I suspect I may have went a touch too fast at 5:41/km pace, but the legs feel alright afterwards so its all good.

These were my times this week, in hindsight I definitely went too fast (aiming for 3.55hr target).

Tues - 5km - 6:01/km
    Thurs - 13km - 5:21/km
    Fri - 8km - 5:03/km
    Sun - 20/km - 5:41/km

I always set out with good intentions to stick to a 6:00/km tempo but it never happens :(

Do you have the race times to back up a 3:55 target? I don't believe you ever properly introduced yourself, so some background info would be useful (take a look at the questions in the first post of this thread). Assuming for now that 3:55 is a realistic target, then yes, you are running much too fast. 3:55 would be a marathon pace of 5:34/km - your training runs should be much slower than that, say 6:15/km.

Wombled wrote: »
    Week 12 good, although I missed the 8 mile run. I had to re juggle the days , unfortunately I did not have enough time to complete the 8. First run and hopefully last one I have missed off the plan

5 mile 12.08 avg per mile
    4 mile 11.52 avg per mile
    12 mile 12.03 avg per mile

What I have learned
    Sleep is so important for this training, felt great after my long run this way despite it only been 5 days after my last LSR. No aches and pain

Just one missed run in a training block shows very impressive consistency and commitment - well done. Yeah, you're spot on regarding the sleep. It's one of the simplest and most effective improvements we can make, and yet it is something that most of us are guilty of neglecting. I think gypsylee may have a point regarding a curfew.....

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Rossi7

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Just on the massage front , I wouldn't recommend getting a massage a day before the race. A week before is time enough as a massage is as good as a session on the legs that they'll need recovery too. I've put off a massage this week because of the 1/2 this weekend

I have something booked in Thursday evening as I couldn't get an appointment any other time and feeling a few little niggles and bit of tightness that I wanted sorted before HM.

Should I cancel it and push on, or another option to not have him really go at the niggles too hard?
    All depends on what type of massage your going for, but if your going to them to iron things out before the 1/2 then  don't expect miracles. Any sort of deep message will have you feeling sore and tender. Personally I wouldn't but each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

Thanks banaaleaf that was a great read. Hope you are feeling better today.

How was week 12?
    I enjoyed week 12, think only having the two midweek runs really helped rest my legs, they have been stiff constantly for a while. The hm went well and was happy with time although I do wonder if my lace hadn't opened around mile 10 would i have managed to just scrape a sub 2 hour time. Regardless i am happy and I have recovered very well this week, no stiffness which is great! I've made an appt with a physical therapist for tomorrow just to iron out a couple of twinges and to make sure all is well for this final stretch. I can't believe that we have less than 6 weeks to marathon day 😱

What have I learnt this week?
    I prepared we!l for the half on saturday, got lots of rest, hydrated properly and ate well beforehand and I think it paid off on the day and helped the post run recovery too.

The best of luck to every one doing the half this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

How was week 12 for you?

All good. Got all runs done as planned with paces on MP stuff all at the lower end of the set times.

Maurten gels aren't for me. Tried one for the second time and still really don't like the texture. I'll think stick with the High-5 Aqua Gels.

Beyond that, I learned an awful lot this week thanks to bananaleaf's post here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111269071&postcount=2635. Awesome stuff.

frash wrote: »
    - How was week 12 for you?
    ok
    Didn't get the medium run in the plan done but got the 3 midweek runs in as well as the LSR

Monday 5 miles @ 10:58 min / mile (too fast I know)
    Tuesday 5.6 miles @ 11:06 min/mile
    Thursday 5 miles @11:09 min/mile
    Saturday 13.5 miles @ 11:30 min/mile

- What did you learn this week?
    I should have been foam rolling more - have a slight bit of stiffness in one of my calves. Kinda glad there's only 2 runs this week before the HM on Saturday. As usual I can't imagine myself running faster than the easy pace but we'll see how it goes.
    If you have a weakness somewhere this training will find it sooner or later. Regular foam rolling, dynamic stretches before a run and static stretching after will really help. Best of luck at the weekend.

How was week 12 for you?

All good. Got all runs done as planned with paces on MP stuff all at the lower end of the set times.

Maurten gels aren't for me. Tried one for the second time and still really don't like the texture. I'll think stick with the High-5 Aqua Gels.

Beyond that, I learned an awful lot this week thanks to bananaleaf's post here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111269071&postcount=2635. Awesome stuff.

I'm not totally sold on the Maurten gels, but I don't hate them. I find that they feel more snack-like than the High-5 ones, which I like. Carrying 5 or 6 of the aqua gels would be quiet bulky - do you find the plain ones too gloopy?

Are you racing the HM at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Unfortunately more sleep/ curfews aren't so easy when your child simply does not sleep :( but noted!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ais_Byrne7

I cannot get over how amazing and informative Banana Leaf's post was a few pages back - the bible!!

How was week 12 for you?
    No major bumps or hurdles to report. Ticking along nicely although I know I still need to slow down a smidge. Sorry Mr. G, I do hear you!
    Tues - 4m @11.01
    Wed - 8m @ 11.25
    Thurs - 5m @11.19
    Sat - 12m @ 11.47

I'm now walking up in the middle of the night....STARVING!! Extra focus on refuelling going forward.

Half marathon ahead this weekend eeeeeeek - wishing everyone the best of luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

I'm not totally sold on the Maurten gels, but I don't hate them. I find that they feel more snack-like than the High-5 ones, which I like. Carrying 5 or 6 of the aqua gels would be quiet bulky - do you find the plain ones too gloopy?

Are you racing the HM at the weekend?

Yeah, I found them very gloopy. It probably didn't help that the first didn't open properly and it took an age to actually get the gel out through the pin size opening. Also, having to take many swigs of water while "eating" the gel just didn't appeal to me.

I haven't carried more than 2 gels on any run so far, but they were in my flipbelt along with a phone and keys, so I think I should be okay to carry another 2-3 anyway. I'll test that out on the next long run...

Racing the HM on Saturday, so tapering a bit this week. No midweek session for a change, just easy miles. I can't wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

gypsylee wrote: »
    Just noticing the late hour that some of you are posting on this thread!!

Last year skyblue46 banned us all from posting after a certain hour cos we should be asleep!! Think it was from 10 o'clock!!

Great post bananaleaf, loads of good info there.

Good luck to all running the Half on Saturday.

I did not!! I rebel against authority!!! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster on this thread. Just popping in here to wish ye all the best in your preparations! Some great training being logged here.

Slight correction regarding the Dublin HM route, if it hasn't been spotted already.

Since my Dublin HM heyday as a 2016 Novice, there has been a change to the route. Instead of running through Farmleigh, you will be running through White's Gate and hence up the hill towards Castleknock College.

This is about half a mile in length - a steady climb for the first 350m or so, when it levels off for about 50 metres, and then climbing again (although not as sharply) for a little over 300 metres. You will reach the 8 mile mark before the Castleknock College crossroads, where you will be turning left into a superfast downhill on Tower Road (Mile 8 of DCM). Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi all. Thanks to everyone for the get well soon wishes. The sore throat is gone but I've still got a cough and now I've the head cold to go with it :rolleyes: So ... I'm still sick really, even though I feel like I'm better.

I only got a cert for 2 days so I have to go back to work tomorrow. That in itself is causing a bit of tension in the house here this evening (I know it is coming from a good place but God almighty!) so I've got a snowballs chance in hell of getting out for a run tomorrow. To be fair to my OH, he has been nothing but supportive of all my runs to date so I think that I should meet him half way on this one, even though I don't want to.

What are my options for the remainder of the week now that I won't be running tomorrow? 4miles with strides on Thursday, rest Friday and race Saturday? Or at this stage would it be unwise to race Saturday at all given the fact that I still have the cough? If I don't race Saturday, should I do the 18 that others not racing are going to be doing? I don't mind not racing it :pac: so no worries if I can't. The way I feel right now and knowing my tendency to rebound with illness in the past, I would say I'm not able. But then again it's only Tuesday. Which is better with DCM in mind - lots of rest and a race on Sat or forget the race and get the mileage up (maybe 4m easy Thurs, 2m Fri, 18m Sat and 2m rec Sunday?) Please help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Yeah, I found them very gloopy. It probably didn't help that the first didn't open properly and it took an age to actually get the gel out through the pin size opening. Also, having to take many swigs of water while "eating" the gel just didn't appeal to me.

I do find that I have to eat the Maurten gels for a bit longer than normal gels but I don't need to take any water with them. I find it invaluable to be able to take the gels whenever I want to, rather than coincide with a water point.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi all. Thanks to everyone for the get well soon wishes. The sore throat is gone but I've still got a cough and now I've the head cold to go with it :rolleyes: So ... I'm still sick really, even though I feel like I'm better.

I only got a cert for 2 days so I have to go back to work tomorrow. That in itself is causing a bit of tension in the house here this evening (I know it is coming from a good place but God almighty!) so I've got a snowballs chance in hell of getting out for a run tomorrow. To be fair to my OH, he has been nothing but supportive of all my runs to date so I think that I should meet him half way on this one, even though I don't want to.

What are my options for the remainder of the week now that I won't be running tomorrow? 4miles with strides on Thursday, rest Friday and race Saturday? Or at this stage would it be unwise to race Saturday at all given the fact that I still have the cough? If I don't race Saturday, should I do the 18 that others not racing are going to be doing? I don't mind not racing it :pac: so no worries if I can't. The way I feel right now and knowing my tendency to rebound with illness in the past, I would say I'm not able. But then again it's only Tuesday. Which is better with DCM in mind - lots of rest and a race on Sat or forget the race and get the mileage up (maybe 4m easy Thurs, 2m Fri, 18m Sat and 2m rec Sunday?) Please help!!!

I think at this stage the wisest decision (with DCM in mind) would be not to race the Half. For the rest of this week I'd continue to rest and get yourself 100% before doing any running, then ease back into it with a 4 miler whenever you're good to go. Depending on progress, running the HM as an LSR might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I think at this stage the wisest decision (with DCM in mind) would be not to race the Half. For the rest of this week I'd continue to rest and get yourself 100% before doing any running, then ease back into it with a 4 miler whenever you're good to go. Depending on progress, running the HM as an LSR might be an option.

How did you get so good at giving good advice so quickly? (assuming you were a Novice last year with the same kinds of novicey questions we have this year.)

I ran 2:10:26 in Bohermeen in March and I think best case scenario for me Sat would be a minor improvement on that time so prob no point when you consider effort v PB gain

Thank you MrG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

On a related topic - if you have an old hoodie or tracksuit bottoms that are earmarked for the charity shop or similar it is worth hanging on to them for DCM. The morning of DCM will involve a good bit of hanging around beforehand, and given the time of year it's likely to be cold. Most people will have an extra layer or two on for that period and then discard those extra layers just before the off. The amount of clothes lining the sides of the course near the start line and over the first mile or so is unreal!

If it's sunny it can be quite pleasant whilst you're waiting (have only waited in wave 3, tbh), but as things move forward the sun can't each certain spots and it can be nippy enough in the shade. If you're skulking around the city before light it can be chilly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

How did the week go?
    Last week wasn't great as I had a knee problem. So I only did 2 miles! Thankfully I seem to be ok again today so back on plan. It was very tough as I have stuck so rigidly to the plan and to the plan I was on before the Boards started - so it was tough - felt like I was breaking the rules big time!

What did I learn?
    That I get very cranky when I am not running!

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    How did you get so good at giving good advice so quickly? (assuming you were a Novice last year with the same kinds of novicey questions we have this year.)

I ran 2:10:26 in Bohermeen in March and I think best case scenario for me Sat would be a minor improvement on that time so prob no point when you consider effort v PB gain

Thank you MrG

Haha... Thanks Bananaleaf - you're easily impressed! Yep, I was a novice last year and I learned loads from our great mentors. This year, I just ask ReeReeG and Huzzah! what they think and pass their thoughts off as my own :)

I guess the key here is just bring sensible. There's no point risking a further setback if you're not fully recovered by putting in a race effort on Saturday and having that result in further time sidelined next week. Also, coming into the HM on the back of an illness could result in a big confidence dent if it didn't go well. The sensible move is, as always, to keep the main thing the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Was planning on going with 1:50 pacers on Saturday. Grand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Couple of new bits delivered from Decathlon today. Ordered some “marathon shorts”, they looked a bit long and bulky on the site but have loads of built in pockets for gels etc. so decided to try them. I like two in one shorts but these don’t have any lining so ordered a pair of seam free running boxers too.

Pleasantly surprised with the shorts. They’re not nearly as long as they look and are very light. The pockets are elastic rather than zip but nice and tight, there’s a phone pocket in the front of the waist band and it worked well. Side pockets should be perfect for gels and they have a tight elastic waistband with an additional drawstring, they didn’t budge on me at all for the run today and wasn’t conscious of the phone in the waist and a few bits in the pockets. I’ll try them for the half on Saturday.

The boxers looked ridiculously tiny and I thought I’d ordered a child size or something but they’re extremely stretchy and turned out to be a good fit too (there’s a small packages joke in there somewhere!).

Also ordered some salt tablets and little energy bars. Accidentally ordered banana flavor, not a big banana fan, tried one and they smell rank but actually taste grand and they’re a nice size to carry a couple along with gels.

Ordered two pairs of runners yesterday too. Hoping they arrive by Thursday so I can try them out (Hoka Arahai 3 and Saucony ISO Guide 2). Got the two pairs for what I’d pay for a pair of ASICS GT 2000 in any shop in Dublin. Currently rotating ASICS GT 1000 and Hoka Gaviotas. All structured support runners (I’m a slight overpronator and I like cushion for my arthritic metatarsals).

This marathon is going to lead to bankruptcy, divorce or both!!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

py wrote: »

Will probably start in around them myself too. I’ve a pace band made up for myself. Used the new Garmin pace calculator thing, set for conservative start and hopefully a strong finish, hope to come in around 1.49 all going to plan.

3boyz wrote: »
    Thanks banaaleaf that was a great read. Hope you are feeling better today.

How was week 12?
    I enjoyed week 12, think only having the two midweek runs really helped rest my legs, they have been stiff constantly for a while. The hm went well and was happy with time although I do wonder if my lace hadn't opened around mile 10 would i have managed to just scrape a sub 2 hour time. Regardless i am happy and I have recovered very well this week, no stiffness which is great! I've made an appt with a physical therapist for tomorrow just to iron out a couple of twinges and to make sure all is well for this final stretch. I can't believe that we have less than 6 weeks to marathon day 😱

What have I learnt this week?
    I prepared we!l for the half on saturday, got lots of rest, hydrated properly and ate well beforehand and I think it paid off on the day and helped the post run recovery too.

The best of luck to every one doing the half this weekend.
    Well done again on the Ratoath result. I always double knot the laces - hasn't let me down yet! A physio appointment at this stage is a great call, even if you have no apparent issues, it does no harm to give the legs a good going over. Looks like you're going very well... just work on those paces :)
    Ais_Byrne7 wrote: »
    I cannot get over how amazing and informative Banana Leaf's post was a few pages back - the bible!!

How was week 12 for you?
    No major bumps or hurdles to report. Ticking along nicely although I know I still need to slow down a smidge. Sorry Mr. G, I do hear you!
    Tues - 4m @11.01
    Wed - 8m @ 11.25
    Thurs - 5m @11.19
    Sat - 12m @ 11.47

I'm now walking up in the middle of the night....STARVING!! Extra focus on refuelling going forward.

Half marathon ahead this weekend eeeeeeek - wishing everyone the best of luck!!!
    I'll save the pacing speech this week so :)

Are you doing the Half, yeah?

Oooh... that's a tricky one. Your FD time would suggest 1:53 or thereabouts for this one, but if we allow 2 minutes off the FD time for the day that was in it, then you're looking at 1:50 here alright. But I believe this Saturday might be warm too? Do you plan on running with a pacer at DCM?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

I'm planning on running with the 2 hour pacer. 1:58 is my pb but that was on a flat course on a cold (wind and rain too) day at Mullingar on Paddy's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Sorbet

Just saw on Twitter from KBC DCM, pacers for the following;
    1:30

1:40

1:50

2:00

2:10

2:20

2:30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Oooh... that's a tricky one. Your FD time would suggest 1:53 or thereabouts for this one, but if we allow 2 minutes off the FD time for the day that was in it, then you're looking at 1:50 here alright. But I believe this Saturday might be warm too? Do you plan on running with a pacer at DCM?

I'm unsure about the pacer right now tbh. I feel I'm pretty good at pacing myself so it's not a necessity but having one less thing to think about on the day may be good.

Edit: I'm also 5Kg lighter than when I ran FD10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I'm unsure about the pacer right now tbh. I feel I'm pretty good at pacing myself so it's not a necessity but having one less thing to think about on the day may be good.

I felt the exact same as you last Saturday & unlike you my pacing wouldn't be my strongest point! But once the race started i comfortably got into a pace & ran my own race, most miles exceeding the pace i had planned in my head. I gradually overtook people most of the way around whilst always feeling strong. In the closing miles i caught up with the 1.45 pacers then took off from them. Some miles were stronger than others & some required more work but it was always my own race which i thoroughly enjoyed:)

Very best of luck on Saturday:D It's all great experience for the actual Marathon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Sorbet wrote: »
    Just saw on Twitter from KBC DCM, pacers for the following;
    1:30

1:40

1:50

2:00

2:10

2:20

2:30

Good to know thanks! Happy to see they have pacers for slower people :)

Mentors any thoughts re: starting out with 2:30 pace group (above time I’m hoping for) then picking up pace after first 1/2 or even first few miles for negative splits (fingers crossed!) I’d love to finish around 2:20 although I know this is ambitious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Ordered two pairs of runners yesterday too. Hoping they arrive by Thursday so I can try them out (Hoka Arahai 3 and Saucony ISO Guide 2). Got the two pairs for what I’d pay for a pair of ASICS GT 2000 in any shop in Dublin. Currently rotating ASICS GT 1000 and Hoka Gaviotas. All structured support runners (I’m a slight overpronator and I like cushion for my arthritic metatarsals).
    QUOTE]

Out of interest where did you buy from? I need to buy a new pair of Saucony ISO Guide 2s as well. Thanks

Advertisement