Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir : Returned modem and charged anyway?!

• 06-05-2019 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

Is this a common occurrence?

We switched providers a few months ago after some pretty horrendous customer care from Eir - just impossible to contact them due to hours and hours on hold. Anyway, I returned the modem via Parcel Motel as per their instructions, generated a label on their website and dropped it in to a Parcel Motel box (scanning the QR code).
    I even went as far as writing the broadband line number on the outside of the box a couple of times to ensure it wasn't mixed up.

Couple of months later a bill for €59.99 is dropped in anyway.

It seems they just want to absolutely ensure I never ever, ever, eve, ever come back.

Knew I should have taken a photograph of the box. Looks like I'll just be 59.99 down.

Posting here as their Talk To forum is gone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Anteayer wrote: »
    Is this a common occurrence?

We switched providers a few months ago after some pretty horrendous customer care from Eir - just impossible to contact them due to hours and hours on hold. Anyway, I returned the modem via Parcel Motel as per their instructions, generated a label on their website and dropped it in to a Parcel Motel box (scanning the QR code).
    I even went as far as writing the broadband line number on the outside of the box a couple of times to ensure it wasn't mixed up.

Couple of months later a bill for €59.99 is dropped in anyway.

It seems they just want to absolutely ensure I never ever, ever, eve, ever come back.

Knew I should have taken a photograph of the box. Looks like I'll just be 59.99 down.

Posting here as their Talk To forum is gone.

Why are you paying it?
    What obligation have you to pay it?
    Have you cancelled the standing order/direct debit?
    If its taken, you can claim it back via your bank
    You've 90 days to do that,its usually returned inside 10 days
    You can thank EU sepa rules for that,just go into your bank and sign the form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

I've no intentions of paying it!

The modem was returned to them in plenty of time.

I tried calling them and it just gets stuck in a loop of "We're sorry, in order to connect you to a support agent we need to identify you. Please enter your eir phone number or account number." I try this, it says "Sorry the number you have entered has not been recognised. Please try again!"

This goes on and on and eventually it just says "Good bye!"

Do they actually exist?! It's like trying to get though to the 'other side'.

Edit:

Found the Parcel Motel details. So have now logged a formal complaint with eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

going through similar issues where the refuse to let me cancel
    have cancelled all payment to them and will just return the modem to an address with a link to my account number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

carq wrote: »
    going through similar issues where the refuse to let me cancel
    have cancelled all payment to them and will just return the modem to an address with a link to my account number.
    EIR are a pain to deal with I told them to take me off the 1TB cap they told me ok a while ago you won't be charge again for going over 1TB.I find out again today im being charge €5 for going over it.The strange part is I look at my down history I use only 920GB.Im glad I only have 3 months left with eir I make sure I record everything when I leave them with pictures of the box modem go in with registered post and record the phone call with also a letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

They’ll stop eventually. They moved my modem cost to a debt collector. Had some letters from them, phoned them tried to explain and eventually stopped trying and they gave up a few months later.

Irony is they kept sending me a bill saying they owed me, but denied they did when I contacted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

EIR Returns
    FREEPOST
    FLK540
    Limerick

Contacted them yesterday.
    Above is the address for equipment returns - put your account number in the address also.
    Only took 1 hour 20 minutes on hold mainly being passed from dept to dept internally.
    But they were surprisingly helpful in writing off my 70 euro 'bill'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

I rang Eir to take me of my download cap shouldn't had bothered I got put on a 300mb packages without them even telling me for €75.I had ring them again only to find this out but they said im still on the same contract but don't really trust eir.

I told them to put me back to my old speed but have pay €50 to downgrade but said I be credit they make everything so hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Well 7 days later and they haven't even acknowledged the formal complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ireneg79

Hello

I switched from Eir to Sky broadband in December and got a letter from Eir saying I had to return their modem. They provided the freepost packaging and directions. So I printed out the labels, etc and returned it via Parcel Motel in a local shop. That was two months ago and now they are billing me for the modem (€59.99).

Does anyone know how I can prove I returned it? Has anyone had a similar experience? I have no intention of paying it and am going to instruct my bank to block the payment, however I also have an Eir mobile phone bill pay account and the modem bill is combined with my mobile bill and I want to pay my phone bill (I always pay my legitimate bills!!)

I know if I block the payment they will send debt collectors after me but I will never pay this as I have done nothing wrong.

If I block the payment and cancel my mobile Eir account can I move to another mobile network, or can Eir block that because they say there is money outstanding on my account?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Irene

Sorry I posted this in another thread too but then I saw this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JAMCAR

The same happen to me, infact it always happens when i leave Eir, I sent them a pm on Twitter, and included the reference number from parcel motel. that got in sorted for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Ireneg79

i just did a Live Chat with them and they say the modem charge will be deducted from the bill - we'll see..........!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭limktime

Moved twice in the past few years and both times this happened. Never again. Eir are the worst I've ever dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Ireneg79 wrote: »
    Hello

I switched from Eir to Sky broadband in December and got a letter from Eir saying I had to return their modem. They provided the freepost packaging and directions. So I printed out the labels, etc and returned it via Parcel Motel in a local shop. That was two months ago and now they are billing me for the modem (€59.99).

Does anyone know how I can prove I returned it? Has anyone had a similar experience? I have no intention of paying it and am going to instruct my bank to block the payment, however I also have an Eir mobile phone bill pay account and the modem bill is combined with my mobile bill and I want to pay my phone bill (I always pay my legitimate bills!!)

I know if I block the payment they will send debt collectors after me but I will never pay this as I have done nothing wrong.

If I block the payment and cancel my mobile Eir account can I move to another mobile network, or can Eir block that because they say there is money outstanding on my account?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Irene

Sorry I posted this in another thread too but then I saw this one!

You can move the phone number still.

Advertisement