Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avio Powersense - Any first hand experience?

Options
  • 07-05-2019 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

After getting use to training with Power during the Winter on the Turbo I'm looking for a power meter now.........

The Local Bike Shop has started advertising the Avio Powersense?

Does anyone have any first hand experience of these?

https://www.avio.mobi/powermeter-cycling/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

I have one, in general I'm quite happy but there a few caveats, the numbers seem consistent and mostly it just seems to work with no issues.

Caveat 1: This may apply equally to other PMs but I found taking the bike out of a warm house into cooler conditions outside, then calibrating/zero offsetting straight away gave inconsistent results, now I'd bring the bike outside while I get organised then calibrate when I'm ready to go.

Caveat 2: It generally doesn't like cold weather, from 4c or 5c down, the readings are more inconsistent, reading through avio's forum this issue seems to be worse if your battery is low or of a cheaper brand and that would be my experience too.

Caveat 3: some issues with calibrating/zero offsetting with some bike computers, the PM needs at least 10 seconds to do whatever it's doing internally but an OK was coming back to the bike computer much quicker so the calibration wasn't being completed properly, I think there's a new FW update to address this and it only affected some models of computer.

Caveat 4: When the meter is reporting cadence to my garmin while I'm pedalling the cadence showing is fine, when I stop pedalling as you expect the power reported drops off to 0 but the cadence figure reported jumps up for maybe 5 seconds to something like 120, then falls away to 0, which is a bit annoying but not the end of the world, I think it's an issue with the way the my two units communicate, Avio say they haven't seen it anywhere else and I haven't really put any time into trying to figure it out.

I paid 219 sterling to have a powersense meter factory fitted to my crank including delivery so for that money I'm happy enough, the small bit of feedback I hear is that the factory fitted units are more consistent than the rider fitted one's but that's hardly surprising.

Advertisement