Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential/Minimal Clothing

Options
  • 07-05-2019 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

What would you consider the essential pieces of kit for year round weather?

What would be the minimal number of items for all seasons? i.e, do you need bib tights if you have decent leg warmers for winter, what is the best rainy day riding set-up?

Looking to invest in my cycling wardrobe (have the basics, jersey, bib shorts, softshell jacket) but also want to keep the amount quite minimal due to lack of wardrobe space.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the aldi arm warmers have been the best bang for buck of any piece of clothing i own - especially useful for commuting where the conditions between morning and evening can vary greatly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sportful Fiandre Light NoRain jacket. It's bloody great. Does what a Gabba does, but packs up into a pocket. That or a Gilet is essential for me until the temperature starts going up. Shoe covers too. They won't keep everything out, but they keep the worst at bay for a little while

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

CormacH94 wrote: »
    What would you consider the essential pieces of kit for year round weather?

What would be the minimal number of items for all seasons? i.e, do you need bib tights if you have decent leg warmers for winter, what is the best rainy day riding set-up?

Looking to invest in my cycling wardrobe (have the basics, jersey, bib shorts, softshell jacket) but also want to keep the amount quite minimal due to lack of wardrobe space.

That all seems a bit excessive for cycling to work... I jus wear some random sweat wicking gear, similar to gym gear & change at the office.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OP didn't say it was for the commute, i was the first to mention that use case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

the OP didn't say it was for the commute, i was the first to mention that use case.

I just assumed... what else would they be talking about. If he's talking about mountainbiking or something else, he can just disregard my comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Bluefoam wrote: »
    That all seems a bit excessive for cycling to work... I jus wear some random sweat wicking gear, similar to gym gear & change at the office.

Not for commuting, looking for opinions on the bare minimum required for year round road cycling kit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's cycling gear in Aldi on Thursday. The shorts aren't great but tops and base-layers are usually fine for everyday use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Bib shorts
    Smelly helly x 2
    Jersey
    Good socks

Arm warmer
    Leg warmers
    Overshoes
    Cycle jacket

Tights for over bib shorts in very very bad weather

Bib shorts
    Smelly helly x 2
    Jersey
    Good socks

Arm warmer
    Leg warmers
    Overshoes
    Cycle jacket

Tights for over bib shorts in very very bad weather

Smelly Helly? HH Base layers I'm assuming haha

Recommendations on good socks would be super? Was going to pick up some in Aldo on Thursday but I imagine these would be more summer socks

Re tights over bib shorts, is this a more cost efficient option than having bib tights AND bib shorts?

i have two sets of full bibs - one 'standard', one windproof. the windproof one usually only comes out if i'm out in 4C or less.
    i have a better tolerance for cold than most, though.

• Advertisement

Smelly Helly? HH Base layers I'm assuming haha

Recommendations on good socks would be super? Was going to pick up some in Aldo on Thursday but I imagine these would be more summer socks

Re tights over bib shorts, is this a more cost efficient option than having bib tights AND bib shorts?

I'd go nowhere without HH or craft base layer. Have plenty of thermal and warm weather ones.

I do a good bit of running and kayaking. Have lot of tights about so yes I put over the bibs shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Under Armour base layer for €50 has been my best buy, takes multiple washes and been on the go for last 18 months.

dahat wrote: »
    Under Armour base layer for €50 has been my best buy, takes multiple washes and been on the go for last 18 months.

Ha. I've probably got a helly or two on the go 18 years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Here's what I have. What I wear depends on the temperature.

< 5C
    Winter jacket
    Full bibs
    Gloves
    Shoe covers
    Merino Baselayer
    Flandian hat (covers your ears)
    Neck warmer

5-15 C
    Arm warmers
    Leg warmers
    Bib shorts
    Jersey
    Long sleeve base layer
    Gillet
    Gloves
    Cycling hat - to keep the sweat out of my eyes!

> 15C
    Shorts
    Jersey
    Summer base layer
    Mitts

The items with the best bang for buck in my eyes are
    - Gillet
    - Waterproof armwarmers (e.g. Castelli nanoflex)
    - Neck warmer
    - Leg warmers

A jersey like the Gabba or equivalent will cover you from 0 -> 15C which in Ireland is most of the time. I have a warmer one I use in winter, but if it had to be only one, the Gabba covers the biggest range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I stick to the turbo trainer if its just a couple of degrees outside!

lissard wrote: »
    Here's what I have. What I wear depends on the temperature.

< 5C
    Winter jacket
    Full bibs
    Gloves
    Shoe covers
    Merino Baselayer
    Flandian hat (covers your ears)
    Neck warmer

5-15 C
    Arm warmers
    Leg warmers
    Bib shorts
    Jersey
    Long sleeve base layer
    Gillet
    Gloves
    Cycling hat - to keep the sweat out of my eyes!

> 15C
    Shorts
    Jersey
    Summer base layer
    Mitts

The items with the best bang for buck in my eyes are
    - Gillet
    - Waterproof armwarmers (e.g. Castelli nanoflex)
    - Neck warmer
    - Leg warmers

A jersey like the Gabba or equivalent will cover you from 0 -> 15C which in Ireland is most of the time. I have a warmer one I use in winter, but if it had to be only one, the Gabba covers the biggest range.

Deadly, thanks a mil for this reply, really comprehensive

I'd go nowhere without HH or craft base layer. Have plenty of thermal and warm weather ones.

I do a good bit of running and kayaking. Have lot of tights about so yes I put over the bibs shorts.

Regarding tights over bib shorts, are we talking about tights with no chamois over chamois shorts or just regular/thermal tights?

Regarding tights over bib shorts, are we talking about tights with no chamois over chamois shorts or just regular/thermal tights?

Bib shorts with chamois
    Regular tights over the top.

Advertisement