Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"The English are no craic"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

cgcsb wrote: »
    That's bullying. They'd be sacked if she were Indian.

I don't think the arrogance is a former colony thing, they view themselves as superior to everyone regardless of where else in the world they are from. Same attitude is prevalent in France. The French and English like to talk about how different they are to eachother but really they are a hop skip and jump. The superiority complex permeates all levels of society. I'll give you an example, the plastic bag tax. They agonised over this policy for years, report after report, never once acknowledging their neighbours had this system for years and it worked well. They just like everything they do is for the first time in the world, same with Boris Bikes and all that.

The opposite is the case in Ireland whenever a new project or policy is discussed the first port of call is how our neighbours tackle the same issue.

Exactly. They go on about the plastic bag tax and pub smoking ban as if they were the first in the world to come up with it (neither was Ireland for that matter).

Some sections of the media cannot bring themselves to acknowledge any Irish success.

I recall an article a few years in the Metro about Saorise Ronan. I am not joking she was described as:

"New York born London based actress"- not one solitary mention of Ireland. They just could not bring themselves to acknowledge she was Irish.

Loads of examples like this over the years. My English wife thought I was just being paranoid for ages but after awhile she actually began to see the bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Having grown up and gone to college in the west of Ireland , lived in Dublin for 4 years and now in London for some years I constantly ponder the traits and differences between the people

I like I can go home to the west of Ireland and have a great night of craic with many people I don’t know including unplanned nights of innocent fun till morning doing silly stuff like brush dancing or singing songs where everyone joins in. Nights like this can be great fun .There is almost an unwritten rule that people who are miserable bastards in the cold light of day are in the pub for craic and fun. One thing I noticed when I first went to London is how quiet th pubs are with roughly the same number of people ..Irish people do love to talk…even if its about nothing in general..in fact they prefer if its about nothing in general
    But it is true that a lot of Irish people who love this drinking craic behaviour can be very stand offish and insular in the cold light of day. Its almost like that having the craic gives them permission to be child like and unburdened

I found in Dublin alot of people who were very quick and funny but a good few smart asses. However they too liked to let their hair down and have craic

English people I know from north and south do not tend to spend time talking gibberish in the pubs and are not as spontaneous and as inclusive in this setting

However the British imo have the best sense of humour in the world and they tend to prefer more serious and witty conversations. They usually don’t take the piss as much as the Irish

But what I will say the British are more honest and though harder to get to know and not as inclusive as the Irish they make for deeper and more honest friendships

Also maybe not judge the British by the British press who most people abhor
    And contrary to stories on here the British I know love the Irish as I am often told ...we are seen as fun loving , warm and unburdened ..if only they knew

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Having grown up and gone to college in the west of Ireland , lived in Dublin for 4 years and now in London for some years I constantly ponder the traits and differences between the people

I like I can go home to the west of Ireland and have a great night of craic with many people I don’t know including unplanned nights of innocent fun till morning doing silly stuff like brush dancing or singing songs where everyone joins in. Nights like this can be great fun .There is almost an unwritten rule that people who are miserable bastards in the cold light of day are in the pub for craic and fun. One thing I noticed when I first went to London is how quiet th pubs are with roughly the same number of people ..Irish people do love to talk…even if its about nothing in general..in fact they prefer if its about nothing in general
    But it is true that a lot of Irish people who love this drinking craic behaviour can be very stand offish and insular in the cold light of day. Its almost like that having the craic gives them permission to be child like and unburdened

I found in Dublin aot of people who were very quick and funny but a good few smart asses. However they too liked to let their hair down and have craic

English people I know from north and south do not tend to spend time talking gibberish in the pubs and are not as spontaneous and as inclusive in this setting

However the British imo have the best sense of humour in the world and they tend to prefer more serious and witty conversations. They usually don’t take the piss as much as the Irish

But what I will say the British are more honest and though harder to get to know and not as inclusive as the Irish they make for deeper and more honest friendships

And contrary to stories on here the British I know love the Irish as I am often told ...we are seen as fun loving , warm and unburdened ..if only they knew

I suppose you can add that the pub is not as central to UK social intercations as it is in Ireland.

One big difference I have found is that the English do not go out of their way to make a new person feel welcome or to bring the new person into their social circle. Yes they are polite and couteous but good luck breaking into their social circle of existing buddies. Where I grew up if there was a new person in the area you went out of your way to chat and get to know them and to make them feel welcome. Out for a few drinks and sure by the end of the night your invitng them to your wedding and all sorts.

I have stood like a melon where lads have gone off to the pub and they have just said 'Bye'- no invite. Where I would not dream of doing that back in Ireland. Maybe it's just me.

I have had our neighbours who we are pally with throw all singing all dancing B&Qs next door to us on a Saturday and just looked over the fence and said Hello. Not so much as an invite- I am sorry but that it just rude but then they are chatting to us the next day like we are the best of pals. Weird.

I am pally with a few Asians (second generation Indian) through work and they have the same gripes with the 'English' (as in white).

MPFGLB wrote: »
    I often remember something that was said by that great philosopher of human relations, Imelda May, when the President went to England. She announced that we were allowed to like the English now 'but secretly, we've been liking one another for years'.

I think it's great that we can look at each other as friends as well as neighbours. I remember as a kid failing to understand why the Swedes didn't hate the Norwegians, and the French don't hate the Germans. It seemed expected that you should dislike your neighbours -- and I have a mum who grew up in the UK, we weren't even the slightest bit republican.

Lots of us make British jokes, but they're not intended to offend or hurt. I cringe when I read serious, vicious insults against the Brits. That's how you should feel about insults agin your neighbours and friends, it transpires.

Look the English are grand. Yes they have their foibles like all nationalities- good traits and bad traits like the Irish.

Only advice when it comes to the English is to be very wary of the happy chappy guy in the 50+ aged bracket. They are devious and will turn on you if they smell weakness- keep an eye on them and keep them at arm's length. Get too close or let you guard down they will **** you- like a snake.

Any other smart Alex is just a big mouth. Give it back and that will shut them up.

Having said that I will take the English over the Aussies any day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Give me a scouse over Irish anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

nullzero wrote: »
    Spoken like a true bitter culchie.

"anything from Dublin is derivitive nonsense and all Dublin people are reprehensible".
    Here's one...So a guy starts a thread about the English being no craic. Thread becomes Culchies v Dubs in record time.

Boom boom!
    Culchies and Dubs need to call a truce. :rolleyes:

Or else get a LOT funnier about slagging each other off!
    My experience of the garden variety midlands culchies is a fear and loathing of outsiders coupled with resentment and gossip.
    A 'culchie' is an unsophisticated country person and is no more representative of all Irish people from outside Dublin or rural dwellers than a junkie or a 'west Brit' is representative of all Dubliners or urbanites.

As for "The English are no craic", that's patently untrue judging by their country's comedy output; it's just that their craic is different than our craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Ash they are a nation of extremes tbf. But the ones who come to Europe will often be a bit dull. They're usually the ones who feel mortified to be American an have trump as president.

To be fair, that's understandable!
    Can you imagine having that as your president?!
    I know we've elected a few fine specimens over the years but he's off the scale and wielding enormous power.

I often remember something that was said by that great philosopher of human relations, Imelda May, when the President went to England. She announced that we were allowed to like the English now 'but secretly, we've been liking one another for years'.

I think it's great that we can look at each other as friends as well as neighbours. I remember as a kid failing to understand why the Swedes didn't hate the Norwegians, and the French don't hate the Germans. It seemed expected that you should dislike your neighbours -- and I have a mum who grew up in the UK, we weren't even the slightest bit republican.

Lots of us make British jokes, but they're not intended to offend or hurt. I cringe when I read serious, vicious insults against the Brits. That's how you should feel about insults agin your neighbours and friends, it transpires.

I get most of what you have said about the British, but I would argue that is more about the views of an ex pat in a foreign country than anything else.

The reason I can relate to it, is because that is pretty much my experience of the Irish having lived here for ten years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

"the english are no craic" - yet their comedies are some of the most popular on Irish TV ...talk about deluding ourselves.

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    I get most of what you have said about the British, but I would argue that is more about the views of an ex pat in a foreign country than anything else.

The reason I can relate to it, is because that is pretty much my experience of the Irish having lived here for ten years.
    Would you mind expanding on that? I'm not sure I get you.

Are you saying that Imelda May only said that because she lives (I think) in the UK?

Actually I think a lot of us genuinely like most British people. I'm the first to hold my hands up and say I've made some distasteful jokes about the British, but in all fairness we really don't dislike one another on a personal level. The jokes, however unfunny, tend to be based on a colonial history, not at the expense of any individual British person.

"The craic" merchants have long been cringe to many Irish people - invariably being noisy, drunken, crowd-following arseholes doing idiotic things, shouting at televisions or generally disturbing the peace for all us "boring" people who are trying to have a good conversation without imposing our "craic" on anybody else's night. Obnoxious morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

In general I find the English more reserved than Irish.

They keep themselves to themselves more. Not particularly unfriendly as such but definitely do not go out of their way to be friendly with people.

Business types are unfailingly polite but not as informal as most Irish would be even in social situations.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

'Craic' ?

I dont know anything about that, but I can tell you, Irish humor is known internationally for its literary value. Samuel Beckett, Oscar Wilde, James Joyce, Jonathan Swift et. al. are all well known for their absurdist humor.

For some reason Ireland breeds a lot of surrealist jokers, and for some reason the entire world is in love with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Plenty of English are ****in unreal craic and I've great time for them. I've often gone over feeling like Frodo entering Mordor and been blown away by the hospitality and friendliness of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’d also agree that the English middle classes live very ordered lives. Much less spontaneity. Everything planned well in advance.

The city centre Pubs of the weatherspoons chain variety are to be avoided. General air of aggro in a lot of them. People lookin for trouble and often finding it.

They love complaining about this that and the other as well.

You’d feel like saying “not interested mate, do one yeah”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Tongue tied sons of ghosts Bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Apart from that they're ok...be times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

Is Donnacha the lad with the fake tan?

It's even built into his his name - Donn-acha !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Plenty of banter (craic) to be had in England. My family from SW6 in West London, proper upper class, no riff-raff etc, love good banter. Londoners, Geordies, Scousers etc are full of banter.
    I’d also agree that the English middle classes live very ordered lives. Much less spontaneity. Everything planned well in advance.

The city centre Pubs of the weatherspoons chain variety are to be avoided. General air of aggro in a lot of them. People lookin for trouble and often finding it.

The Irish are world class when it comes to moaning, up there with the English. Both are a tier below the French, who are exceptional moaners but they'll do something about it also. The French love a good strike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Which 'English' are we talking about, the sort of Middle England Tin Henman types are generally boring and only really gel with their own ilk similar to Blackrock College types here.

The 'awrite mate' South-East/Londoner types whom are the first go-to whenever an English accent is parodied tend to be dullards as well.

Have a weekend in Newcastle, Manchester or Liverpool and you'll encounter a far friendlier type of English person, well disposed towards the Irish as well.

There's a huge myth as well that only an Irish person can be 'earthy', 'authentic', or can tell a joke, you get gaggles of them in the UK, especially Irish pubs in London, accents turned up to 11, nauseatingly pleased with themselves about a random accident of birthplace they had no say over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JoeEJ

My oh is English. I've got to know a lot of his family very well and they are all good fun and they share most of the same jokes as us but we do have that feeling of homesickness when we're over there sometimes like people don't get us.

They always make an issue of me saying I'm 'grand' cause to me it means ok! but to them it means mighty or something like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

road_high wrote: »
    There’s a lot of Irish I’d describe as having “no manners” and it cuts across all classes and age groups. Years ago I worked for a summer in an Agri diy supplies and the ignorance was just incredible- older Irish men in particular are the most miserable, ungrateful mean people you could find. And never wanted to pay for anything- the most polite customers- a group of Irish travelers that came in for horse stuff!!
    I don’t know what it’s like now, but past generations really missed out on basic manners and etiquette. Reckon a lot of these people most have been favored by the church/teachers and escaped all manners lessons.
    Generally find continental Europeans and Americans so polite in comparison to many of us

Ould Irish farmers are some of the greatest cheapskate tyre kickers going. Would fight over €2 as if they were bargaining at a fvcking market stall in Thailand or somewhere.

Nobelium wrote: »
    "the english are no craic" - yet their comedies are some of the most popular on Irish TV ...talk about deluding ourselves.

The mainly awful output of Irish TV comedy is down to not spending money on decent comedy writers and the nepotism within RTE, giving airtime to connected people who are worse than useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The English are craictose intolerant.

The Welsh and Scottish are great craic, especially the north Welsh. Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The English are craictose intolerant.

The Welsh and Scottish are great craic, especially the north Welsh. Great bunch of lads.

We tend to think Billy connolly is your typical scot where as the truth is much closer to Gordon brown

Very dour and they hate us in much of the country

Would you mind expanding on that? I'm not sure I get you.

Are you saying that Imelda May only said that because she lives (I think) in the UK?

Actually I think a lot of us genuinely like most British people. I'm the first to hold my hands up and say I've made some distasteful jokes about the British, but in all fairness we really don't dislike one another on a personal level. The jokes, however unfunny, tend to be based on a colonial history, not at the expense of any individual British person.

i actually quoted the wrong post, apologies. I meant to quote PartyGuinness.

All of the traits he talks about can be easily relayed to the Irish and it isn't an English/Irish thing. I have German, French and Belgian friends here who all say the exact same thing about Ireland, so my conclusion is that it is an expat's view of the country they live in, rather than an actual english/Irish thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The whole concept of irish 'craic' is seriously overrated.

There is a genuine funniness/wittiness there in Irish culture but generally its displayed by those not even trying to be funny and they are just natural entertainers.

I find for most of those clinging on to "craic" for dear life as something that the Irish uniquely possess, "Craic" is just skulling down as much alcohol as possible as then acting like overgrown "teenage" adults. Embarrassing.

Yeah I have found that too- absolutely no spontaneity and everything planned to within an inch of its life.

And bitching about everything constantly- and its always someone else's fault.

Morrissey summed it up brilliantly in the song 'Everyday is like Sunday'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

morrissey is a miserable bastard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

fryup wrote: »
    morrissey is a miserable bastard

That'll be the Irish in him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

maybe the English have no crack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The English are no craic ??

well they had great craic in Liverpool last night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Was in Birmingham for a work thing last summer, which is an absolute disaster for nightlife for a city of it's size. Anyway, lads from the office brought us to this place, turns out it was a witherspoons, like seriously, it was all slot machines, carpets and lads with tatoos on their necks. This was during some extremely intense Brexit woes, and there was a massive group of us, all with various European accents, and switching languages, sitting around chatting and being starred at, was very menacing I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I've a good few English pals, most of them are mighty craic.

I will say though, the further north you go in England - the better craic they do become, and as for Scottish folk, I'm friends with a group of Glaswegian lads, and they do have me howling with laughter at times, they have a wit and sense of humour that rivals many of my Irish mates.

• Advertisement

Was in Birmingham for a work thing last summer, which is an absolute disaster for nightlife for a city of it's size. Anyway, lads from the office brought us to this place, turns out it was a witherspoons, like seriously, it was all slot machines, carpets and lads with tatoos on their necks. This was during some extremely intense Brexit woes, and there was a massive group of us, all with various European accents, and switching languages, sitting around chatting and being starred at, was very menacing I have to say.

Yeah Birmingham is atrocious. It really is.

Weatherspoons...Jaysus. Going into one of those after 7pm is taking your life in your hands. Birmingham nightlife is bad but there are better places than Weatherspoons...I hope you stayed away from Broad Street. It's like Temple Bar on steroids and with none of the good bits. All young kids getting tanked up to ear drum splitting music.

Weatherspoons...Jaysus. Going into one of those after 7pm is taking your life in your hands. Birmingham nightlife is bad but there are better places than Weatherspoons...I hope you stayed away from Broad Street. It's like Temple Bar on steroids and with none of the good bits. All young kids getting tanked up to ear drum splitting music.

A case of going to the wrong places.
    Most Brummies I've met are salt of the earth types, a few have Irish roots. Around where the Bird's Custard factory was used be an Irish enclave.

One of the lads who worked in the Birmingham Office said it was a real nice place, I didn't cop it was a Witherspoons at first because they all have different names. I know from the media that they are places best avoided. He didn't perceive any danger for the rest of us who were clearly not British. He also had an accent that I couldn't decipher and the other people there were all non-native English speakers and kept looking at me for a translation every time he spoke, but I was no use, the 2 Glaswegians there were even less understandable, again, I was expected to translate into international English.

One of the lads who worked in the Birmingham Office said it was a real nice place, I didn't cop it was a Witherspoons at first because they all have different names. I know from the media that they are places best avoided. He didn't perceive any danger for the rest of us who were clearly not British. He also had an accent that I couldn't decipher and the other people there were all non-native English speakers and kept looking at me for a translation every time he spoke, but I was no use, the 2 Glaswegians there were even less understandable, again, I was expected to translate into international English.

There are countless Weatherspoons around the place and some are more obvious than others- some are in old listed buildings.

They are grand for a quick cheap lunch or 1-2 drinks after work but after say 7pm it's time to get out of dodge. It depends on the location as well.

I suppose if he was taking a bunch of lads out he might have been playing it safe by taking you to a generic solid chain pub.

I used to feel like that too when I moved over here first- a little self conscious of being a foreigner especially when the Birmingham Bombings is still on the news on a regular basis but that worry faded soon enough and never any issue. In fact most Brummies it seems to me have Irish roots which they will bring up quick enough- personally I could not give a **** if great uncle Mick left Mayo in 1920 but I'll smile away.

A case of going to the wrong places.
    Most Brummies I've met are salt of the earth types, a few have Irish roots. Around where the Bird's Custard factory was used be an Irish enclave.

I walked/pub crawled from New Street station to St Andrews many years ago and it seemed every pub we went in to was an Irish pub, all displaying traditional Irish memorabilia, such as Hibernian scarfs and Celtic flags.

• Advertisement

I walked/pub crawled from New Street station to St Andrews many years ago and it seemed every pub we went in to was an Irish pub, all displaying traditional Irish memorabilia, such as Hibernian scarfs and Celtic flags.

Last summer you could have done the same in the nude swinging a cat by its tail around the place singing 'I'm Henry the effing 8th, I am' and not a solitary sinner would have seen you.

Going to St Andrews from New Street you would have taken the route down through Digbeth which is where the 'Irish' centre is. So yeah there would have been 5-6 'Irish' pubs.

Last summer you could have done the same in the nude swinging a cat by its tail around the place singing 'I'm Henry the effing 8th, I am' and not a solitary sinner would have seen you.

I try and restrict my Birmingham visits to about once per lifetime.

JoeEJ wrote: »
    They always make an issue of me saying I'm 'grand' cause to me it means ok! but to them it means mighty or something like that!

'Grand' makes no sense to people outside of Ireland. I still don't get the use of the word 'press' by loads of Irish people and I've lived here for decades. We put stuff in the cupboard in our house.
    fryup wrote: »
    The English are no craic ??

well they had great craic in Liverpool last night :)

Doubt they did. Most Liverpool fans come from outside the city. 15K of them at home games, out of a crowd of 55K. Goodison is full of locals. Bet they were not too happy last night!
    I try and restrict my Birmingham visits to about once per lifetime.

Not a fan of the bullring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Think i have been to that wetherspoons. An awful dive of a place so it is

Think i have been to that wetherspoons. An awful dive of a place so it is

I have been gravely concerned for my English colleague's concept of a 'nice place' ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

In fact most Brummies it seems to me have Irish roots which they will bring up quick enough- personally I could not give a **** if great uncle Mick left Mayo in 1920 but I'll smile away.

I've always found this an odd one, if somebody's born in England (or Ireland) and they have say, an Italian or French background then this aspect of them is generally accepted as part of the person's heritage, culture and identity, yet when it's Irish, even if it's both parents there's an attitude that it's the ramblings of a fantasist who was wrapped in a Union Jack at birth with all linkage to Ireland nulled and voided. It's as if their entire prior lineage didn't exist and they're some descendant of King Harold.

dd973 wrote: »
    I've always found this an odd one, if somebody's born in England (or Ireland) and they have say, an Italian or French background then this aspect of them is generally accepted as part of the person's heritage, culture and identity, yet when it's Irish, even if it's both parents there's an attitude that it's the ramblings of a fantasist who was wrapped in a Union Jack at birth with all linkage to Ireland nulled and voided. It's as if their entire prior lineage didn't exist and they're some descendant of King Harold.

I am not quite sure I am following you or certainly that is not my experience. Sure the 2nd and 3rd generation Irish descendants are more Irish than the Irish themselves be it in the UK or the US.

dd973 wrote: »

A odd post, if I'm reading it right. From my time in the UK and the US, the later in particular, people with Irish connections are very proud and open about that. Take a look at 'St Patty's day' in the US. Got talking to a young Amish lad on a visit to an Amish village in Pennsylvania once and he never shut up about the fact that he was 1/8th Irish when he heard that I lived in Ireland. Was telling me about his relatives in Laois. Lost count of the number of times, I heard the phrase "I'm Irish" in a NY twang in my time over there. Didn't happen as often in Houston but I did know two people, married couple, who's parents came from NI. They were very open about the fact that they were "going home" when they went over to N.I. on holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Anyone see that interview with Donnacha O'Callaghan. He says they're polite and nice but "no craic". Is this an example of Ireland exceptionalism? I wouldn't call what English do when they go to football tournaments "having the craic" but it's not like they're all stuffy posh types. Of course, when he means having the craic he might mean something else. I do actually think it's a uniquely Irish thing. It's not like other countries aren't fun(Spanish I'd say are more extroverted and outgoing than Irish) but the craic is different. It's actually innocent enough messing combined with a self-awareness. There's gob****es who think they're great craic when really they're just ***** but I do think we have a unique sense of humour and happy go lucky attitude. Again, it's not like all Irish people are funny but it's like we have a national light hearted mentality.

What do you think?

If he said english are no craic then it's not irish exceptionalism. It would be exceptionalism if he said that only Irish people can have the craic.

I have some english friends that are great craic. I also know some that are the moaniset self involved people you could meet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement