Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tubeless questions

Options
  • 07-05-2019 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

My new road bike comes with tubeless out of the box. This is new to me so I have a few questions for anyone with more experience of this

1. What do you bring with you in terms of puncture protection? Or is this really a non issue? I feel naked going out without at least 2 tubes and a pump.

2. Do you normally run lower pressure? I usually put 110psi into clinchers on my old road bike. Will lower pressure increase rolling resistance? Should I care?

3. I notice that the tires lose about 20/30 psi after a couple of days. Is this normal or do I need to adjust the tires?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Most small pinches or cuts will be sealed properly, provided you have enough sealant still in there and it hasn't dried out. Larger cuts might not seal.

Sometimes it can fail and thats why it is still a good idea to bring at least 1 tube and a pump.

It can be difficult to get the tire off when you get in trouble, at least I found that.

95% of the time its a dream when it all just works. Sometimes its a nightmare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭G1032

My new road bike comes with tubeless out of the box. This is new to me so I have a few questions for anyone with more experience of this

1. What do you bring with you in terms of puncture protection? Or is this really a non issue? I feel naked going out without at least 2 tubes and a pump.

2. Do you normally run lower pressure? I usually put 110psi into clinchers on my old road bike. Will lower pressure increase rolling resistance? Should I care?

3. I notice that the tires lose about 20/30 psi after a couple of days. Is this normal or do I need to adjust the tires?

1 : A tubeless repair kit like this - https://tinyurl.com/yyah7zp3

2 : Yes. Much lower pressure. I'm 74kg or so. Run 75psi in front and 80psi back with 25mm tubeless. I could probably run lower.

3 : That doesn't sound normal to me. I'd only pump the tubeless tires every few rides. They don't seem to lose pressure really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

1) This tubeless repair kit:
    https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Innovations-Tubeless-Tackle-Repair/dp/B07PDJ1MX5
    I don't bother bringing a spare tube anymore.
    However, I still carry a couple of CO2 cartridges.
    So far, I haven't had to use the repair kit. All punctures have self sealed.
    2) I put about 10psi less into my tyres, compared to tubed tyres.
    3) My tubeless tyres lose about 5psi per day, more or less.
    Maybe, you should use a little extra sealant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

1. A tube & pump. Pinch flat protection isn't an issue at road pressures so you only benefit from ignoring thorns and the like and

2. Lower pressures to improve ride comfort. I run 85psi on 28c at 100 plus kg. There is a sweet spot to find the optimum depending on your weight, rim width, tyre and riding style.

3. It could be that you need to add some sealent, my schwalbe tyres have silly thin sidewalls and you can see the fluid seaping through. Takes a bit extra to seal it. You did hear the beads snap/ping into place?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

saccades wrote: »
    ...You did hear the beads snap/ping into place?

Nope since the bike arrived with tires installed, so I have not had a tire off yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Nope since the bike arrived with tires installed, so I have not had a tire off yet.

I wonder is there any sealant in the tyres at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Topping up air every 2-3 days was normal for me on tubeless. You can at the start get 100psi in until you suffer your first puncture which seals as you move :) then I found 60psi max was the best I could get after that or the old seals would pop out.

To answer another of OPs Questions I believe you could do all your rides with no spares.

My over all feeling even tho it’s not being asked:
    For a weekend bike I think tubeless is a great idea, I commuted and travelled too many glass filled bike lanes. The constant focus on pressure was a pain for a daily driver. The last hurrah was a side wall blow out

Over about 3,000km my tires were like Swiss cheese so longevity they don’t really have

When I did need to get them off the wheels the tubeless sealants made a gooey slippery surface and they slid right off.

Funny how we all have different experiences eh

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

C3PO wrote: »

Release some air from the valve and some should come with it. Other wise drop to about 15psi and pinch the bead so you see something come out with the air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I carry a pump and a tube. CO2 and sealant aren't always a good combination.

Have around 60psi in 30mm road tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

C3PO wrote: »

I asked them about this st the shop and they said that there was. I'll check anyway later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Check out this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057818455

Advertisement