Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stud wall, plastered and door in non supporting wall cost

Options
  • 07-05-2019 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking at getting a stud wall put up in the room upstairs (basically converting a big bedroom back into two separate ones).

The length is 20 foot long and plastered. No electric sockets needed as plenty already in the room.

A new door entrance needs to be made in a non supporting wall, so knock through and a door to be fitted. The wall is definitely not a supporting solid wall just plasterboard one.

Anyone have a rough idea how much something like this would likely cost and who to go about getting to do this job.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭893bet

bri007 wrote: »
    Hi

A new door entrance needs to be made in a non supporting wall, so knock through and a door to be fitted. The wall is definitely not a supporting solid wall just plasterboard one

Just because it’s plaster load does not mean it’s not load bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes there is such a thing as a load bearing stud wall so get someone to have a look overhead to verify that it's not carrying anything.
    I wouldn't guess at a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks ok I will get someone to have a look at it first.

Thanks for the replies. Probably leave it as is until we get some more cash saved up first.

Check the floor also for taking the new stud wall to make sure there are no issues there.
    In reality, the job should be very straight forward and there are no expensive items involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks.

Would a carpenter be able to do this or will I try and get a builder?
    mickdw wrote: »
    Check the floor also for taking the new stud wall to make sure there are no issues there.
    In reality, the job should be very straight forward and there are no expensive items involved.

• Advertisement

A carpenter should be able to do all and leave ready for skim plaster.

Advertisement