Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to end tenancy. No lease

Options
  • 07-05-2019 10:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi. I've been renting since October with the same landlord in owner ocupid accommodation. My accommodation has changed and no longer suits me. So I want to leave as soon as possible.

I've paid a deposit to the landlord but there is no formal lease that has been signed. Would like to know what I need to do to end tenancy and how much notice is appropriate to give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

The lease isn't worth the piece of paper it's written on. You've literally no rights. Talk to your landlord, see what they say and how much time they require. You're stuck with whatever they say for the timeframe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RossieMan wrote: »
    The lease isn't worth the piece of paper it's written on. You've literally no rights. Talk to your landlord, see what they say and how much time they require. You're stuck with whatever they say for the timeframe.

I meant to say there's no lease. I didn't sign anything. Edited my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I meant to say there's no lease. I didn't sign anything. Edited my post.

You live with the landlord, no tenancy agreement necessary, you are a licensee rather than a tenant. Effectively you are a guest in his/her house and their rules apply. Do you pay rent weekly or monthly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dav010 wrote: »
    You live with the landlord, no tenancy agreement necessary, you are a licensee rather than a tenant. Effectively you are a guest in his/her house and their rules apply. Do you pay rent weekly or monthly?

I pay rent weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I pay rent weekly.

Ask your landlord what the story is, two weeks is probably reasonable.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    Ask your landlord what the story is, two weeks is probably reasonable.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a chat with them. Was thinking of giving two weeks. Don't eat to screw them over but I've been viewing some much nicer accommodation I don't want to miss out on.

Advertisement