Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Novice plates Ireland

Options
  • 07-05-2019 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Im just wondering is it legal for a novice driver to print out their own Novice plates at home and stick them up on their car?

Also what could the Gardai do if your Novice plates were smaller than they should be?

Nice one, Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 e_un

Im just wondering is it legal for a novice driver to print out their own Novice plates at home and stick them up on their car?

Also what could the Gardai do if your Novice plates were smaller than they should be?

Nice one, Cheers.

I wouldn’t imagine it’s considered legal to print out your own plates but then again, would anyone look closely enough to notice? You can gets plates for €2 or less so I would just buy them personally.

If the plates are the wrong size, I think it’s considered by law that you effectively don’t have any up. Whether anyone would prosecute you for it though I don’t know, they might just recommend you get new ones and let you on. It depends on what kind of guard you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Why would you want to is a better question?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They've requirements with regards to dimensions. doesn't matter where you get them, just once they are the right size and visible.

I wouldn't expect something printed out to last too long though. Where are you going to stick it? Taping to window, will ruin the windscreen. Also, the paper will break up with moisture. You'll be constantly reprinting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nice one, Cheers.
    Well Woodies seem to have some external ones at €1.99 so why would you bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

(b) in the case of a mechanically propelled vehicle other than a motorcycle, there are
    displayed on the vehicle rectangular plates or signs bearing the letter “N”, not
    less than 15 centimetres high in red on a white ground, in clearly visible vertical
    positions to the front and rear of the vehicle.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) commits an offence.

Once you can meet the above requirements you can print them of course, there is no legal minimum for the the white background once it exists you're alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Sure, it's legal as long as they conform to the requirements; there's no such thing as an "official" L or N plate, they're all just made by private companies following the legal standards. Still, though, it probably wouldn't be very cost-effective to print up your own; remember that you'll be needing one for a couple years, and a plain paper tag will likely fall apart after a month or two (or in a matter of minutes or hours if it gets wet).

If the letter on your N plate is smaller than the required 15cm height, then it wouldn't be a valid N plate and you could theoretically get a fine and penalty points for that. Unless it's ridiculously small, though, the chances of a guard stopping you for that alone are pretty much zero (though if one stops you for some other reason and you manage to piss 'em off, they could always decide to get picky about it if they can't find anything more serious to charge you with...).

If you're going to buy one, the best ones I've found are the plastic static cling ones; they're cheap enough, they last forever, they're easy to take off and put on without leaving any residue, they can be removed and reattached multiple times if you drive a shared car, and since they're inside the car, there's no issue with scumbags swiping them while you're parked somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Nice one, Cheers.

Castration. Don’t do it :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can get magnetic N plates for very little in Dealz I believe.

Advertisement