Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build - Heatmiser, Nest, Hive, or other?

Options
  • 08-05-2019 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all,

Doing a complete restoration at the moment, it's effectively a new build. Everything old is gone, all new equipment being installed.

Both my architect and builder recommend Heatmiser to control the new (wet) underfloor heating. From a quick look online, it visually strikes me as a dated system, something from the 90s rather than today. I'm only talking about the interface, I don't know enough about what happens behind the scenes. Nest, and Hive to a lesser extent, look way more modern, and seem to have more smarts built in. But when I mentioned Nest to the architect and builder (both younger than 45, if that matters) they said it's better suited to a retrofit, and Heatmiser is better for new builds.

Can anyone comment on this please? There's surprisingly little info out there comparing the pros and cons, and which situations each is better suited to. I'm just having trouble corroborating what they said.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Hey

We went with Heatmiser for full refurb project. Our builder recommended it for multizone underfloor heating since it all works under one interface. Nest looks cooler but at the time it seamed we would need a full nest sensor in each zone - much more expensive than the Heatmiser stats and hub. The interface is a little dated and the set-up a little clunky but once its set up we don't really touch it much.

It's a small enough company I think. The only time I had a problem they responded really quickly.

Works with Homekit (but using the app is easier). Almost never touch the actual stats.

Might boil down to how many zones you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yoozername

@atgate

Thanks for your reply. I'm weighing up a couple of other options now too (Tado and Ecobee, though I don't think Ecobee is here yet). But glad to know Heatmiser will do the trick if it comes to it.

Cheers!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I have heatmiser too, multizone, hot water, with multiple underfloor zones downstairs, works very well from the app or the stats. Setup to auto run the whole time and seldom touched since. Plumber and builder wanted it, basically because they know it well and knew it is reliable. App is fine and has all the features I need anyway.

Basically we use the iPhone or iPad app really just to setup schedules for the zones and then use the stats themselves to boost individual rooms, or google hub or the app to boost zones. Assuming your refurb sorts out insulation etc, you should be fine basically with scheduling everything and then you are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

When you say you have heatmiser running from the app is this the heatmiser neo stat that needs its own wifi hub?

I have heatmiser slimline and looking to get some app control.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

When you say you have heatmiser running from the app is this the heatmiser neo stat that needs its own wifi hub?

I have heatmiser slimline and looking to get some app control.

Yep, Neo Stats and Neo Hub. I’m not 100% sure but I don’t think the slimline are app supported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Yea when I was building I knew shag all about stats. If i did i would definitely would have gone with app control.

Advertisement