Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge Cutting

Options
  • 08-05-2019 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi, I have an fairly over grown hedge in my garden, (it's a fairly large garden), I know you can't cut hedges this time of the year but someone told me that if it's on my property then you can cut it anytime of the year. Advice please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Always thought garden hedges are exempted from this law

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, the key word in the legislation is 'uncultivated' - gardens would be considered cultivated.

what sort of hedge is it? is it possible to check for nesting birds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You can cut garden hedges anytime you like. I just check for nests first.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kerdiff

I'm actually out the country on 2 acres of land would that make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Im out in the sticks too but plan the hedge cutting around the nesting season. Generally give it a good cutting back and shaping in autumn and leave it be till end June early july and tackle it again. Its a typical rural hedge to match in with the surrounding farmlands, full of birds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

kerdiff wrote: »
    I'm actually out the country on 2 acres of land would that make any difference.

Same here. Makes no difference.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Not to sound all righteous but does it really need cutting right now or can it wait til the autumn when the nests are abandoned?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

It's only farm hedgerows that are covered by that regulation.
    I'm on an acre in Fingal. I cut mine at this time of year, but check for nests first and if any are found they are left with plenty of cover and re-shaped in the Autumn, once any nests are empty.

Advertisement