Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback

Options
  • 08-05-2019 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I went for an interview in the HSE the week beginning March 4th. Two hours after my interview I got an email for the hr person to say I didn't get the job. Fair enough, I didn't feel I did a great interview anyway so didn't have high hopes I would get it. Hoping to learn from my mistakes I asked for feedback the following day.
    The HR person got back to me on April 1st to ask would I be avaible to take a call in the middle of the day two days later, to get verbal feedback from the interview panel.
    I asked could I get the feedback in a written form, as I am still in my current job and didn't want to take a phone of thoa nature during the my workday. HR person said that was fine, she would have something for me at end of week.
    Since then I have heard nothing, I emailed last week to follow up and no reply.

What do I do next? I don't think the interview process was unfair but I do really want the feedback, as the interview was carried out using a specific structure and I want to learn from my mistakes. I think it's pretty bad that it's two months later, plus 3 emails on my side later and I still have nothing back. I want to complain but the only complaint sevices I can see on the hse website are either for complaining about the HSE service itself, or complaining if you think you were unfairly treated in interview

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It could be that they were advised not to put interview feedback in an email? Hiring is enough of a minefield. While I can understand that feedback can be so useful, they don't owe it to you, especially in writing. It's pretty unreasonable that you're considering complaining about it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

generation of perpetually offended outraged complaining snowflakes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

My own experience comes from private industry and not from a public body, but perhaps it is relevant in any case.

I would find it highly unusual for written feedback to be given to an unsuccessful interview candidate, in fact I have never heard of it. It is also not common, in my experience, to be offered a detailed oral feedback. If I wanted to have such a feedback, and a call was offered to me, then I would be making time for it. Putting something into writing usually takes much more time, effort and thought than a short phone call, and to be frank if an unsuccessful candidate asked me for feedback in writing rather than over a call that I had offered, then I would be reclining the offer.

HR should have been straight up with you here though, they should have made it clear that the written request was not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I think you were pushing it asking for written feedback. There is more work in it for the organisation and it could be misconstrued and used against the organisation. It is safer for them to avoid this. I always ask for feedback from unsuccessful interviews and only once in over ten years and as many interviews have I gotten any. It was a quick phone call. If you wanted it that badly, you should have made the time for the call considering you were given so much notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i think if you wanted the feedback then you should have taken the call.
    very few if any people especially a body such as hse would be willing to put feedback in writing that could come back on them

• Advertisement

OP, there might still be a chance to get some verbal feedback.

I would recommend calling (not emailing) the HR contact that you have directly and ask could a short call still be an option. Any time I have been asked I have always made five minutes to give such a feedback, so you could be in luck if the relevant person has the time. You are going to need to be flexible on the time slot which is offered though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I went for an interview in the HSE the week beginning March 4th. Two hours after my interview I got an email for the hr person to say I didn't get the job. Fair enough, I didn't feel I did a great interview anyway so didn't have high hopes I would get it. Hoping to learn from my mistakes I asked for feedback the following day.
    The HR person got back to me on April 1st to ask would I be avaible to take a call in the middle of the day two days later, to get verbal feedback from the interview panel.
    I asked could I get the feedback in a written form, as I am still in my current job and didn't want to take a phone of thoa nature during the my workday. HR person said that was fine, she would have something for me at end of week.
    Since then I have heard nothing, I emailed last week to follow up and no reply.

What do I do next? I don't think the interview process was unfair but I do really want the feedback, as the interview was carried out using a specific structure and I want to learn from my mistakes. I think it's pretty bad that it's two months later, plus 3 emails on my side later and I still have nothing back. I want to complain but the only complaint sevices I can see on the hse website are either for complaining about the HSE service itself, or complaining if you think you were unfairly treated in interview

Just do a freedom of information request asking for notes from the interview. they must provide it then

_Brian wrote: »
    Just do a freedom of information request asking for notes from the interview. they must provide it then

I guess that this only applies to public bodies? I'm curious as how they take the interview notes in such a case, is there a standard template which gets filled out, as opposed to notes being made in someone's notebook, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Feedback, especially written feedback is a courtesy and not compulsory. You aren't entitled to it.
    Yes, ideally they would give it but being demanding & making threats will get you nowhere, and it'll also limit any future opportunities in the company.
    It sounds like you are being difficult.

skallywag wrote: »
    I guess that this only applies to public bodies? I'm curious as how they take the interview notes in such a case, is there a standard template which gets filled out, as opposed to notes being made in someone's notebook, etc?

Applies to every group public or private.
    Hr collect the notes taken after interview and file the away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It was very courteous of them to offer to phone you re your interview.
    You could have arranged to have 20 minutes off from work to take a call from them.
    You’d already decided that you wanted them to take the time to write to you and point out in detail where in the interview you demonstrated that you were unsuitable for the job so you rejected the offer of the phone call and upped your request to this.
    I’m sorry but all you did with that request was confirm for them that you were indeed unsuitable.
    Imagine if every rejected job candidate requested a written report into their interview?
    If I were close to you I would highly recommend that you invest in some sessions with a life coach to bring you up to speed with organizing your career path. I’ve heard some great success stories recently.

_Brian wrote: »
    Applies to every group public or private.

Does this mean that if I interview someone for a position in a private sector company, then I am legally obliged to hand over the interview notes to the candidate if requested?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Does this mean that if I interview someone for a position in a private sector company, then I am legally obliged to hand over the interview notes to the candidate if requested?

Most professional HR organizations will have trained interviewers on how to safely take interview notes and will have given them a structured format to use, so there’s less chance to go wrong. My interview notes are very factual, based on the answers given by the candidate. No observations or subjective comments.

Very interesting.

I did not know that private sector companies are legally obliged to provide interview notes on request to unsuccessful candidates.

Yes.
    A freedom of Information request must be complied with, there are some exemptions on the type of information or the request structure but in general now if your taking notes in an interview the client may request them.
    Obviously mentioning anything relating to the big 9 discriminators in your notes isn’t wise.

I may be incorrect on private companies. I’ll need to check that buyout I know a private company I worked with were forced to comply with an foi request.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

FOI requests for interview notes would only generally be made if someone felt that had been discriminated against unfairly or similar where they felt they really needed to know exactly what was written about them. To do it as a method of forcing interview feedback is a misuse of the FOI powers IMHO. Just because you have a right to exercise those powers doesn't mean its the right thing to do in this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Nope. I've conducted interviews in the private sector and HR always advised caution when taking notes because the applicant can request a copy of our notes. You fill out a company and role specific interview form normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shauna365

Hi, Just wondering how soon after an interview with the HSE will you get a call back if you're successful? I had an interview last Tuesday and still no word?

Hi, Just wondering how soon after an interview with the HSE will you get a call back if you're successful? I had an interview last Tuesday and still no word?

• Advertisement

Did they tell you when you could expect to hear back from them?

no they never said.

That's pretty poor form on their part.

Just a tip for the future, always ask when you can expect to hear back before you leave an interview. It's a very normal question, there is no need to feel in any way shy about asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

I guess that this only applies to public bodies?
    In theory anyone can request the data under FOI. There would be exemptions and the protection of personal data.
    I'm curious as how they take the interview notes in such a case, is there a standard template which gets filled out, as opposed to notes being made in someone's notebook, etc?
    The organisation I was involved with 15+ years ago had a process of having a copy CV in a plastic cover (to prevent markings) a sheet of questions with a 1-5 score ranking to be ticked. This allowed the subjective analysis without a reasoning being needed. The CV and any hand written notes were to be collected and shred after the interview.

In theory anyone can request the data under FOI. There would be exemptions and the protection of personal data.

Can this be requested just because an interview candidate is curious as to why they were not successful, or must they have a reason to believe that they were discriminated against?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

FOI does not apply to private bodies: https://foi.gov.ie/faqs/what-bodies-are-covered-by-foi/

However, private bodies are covered by GDPR Access Requests: https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/individuals/know-your-rights/right-access-information

When it comes to the HSE, you could use either avenue

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Can this be requested just because an interview candidate is curious as to why they were not successful, or must they have a reason to believe that they were discriminated against?
    If it is the person they can get all and any data on them under GDPR.

Its my understanding (only) that they may have a right to some of the sucessful persons scoring data. Eg if they are claiming that it was not an open and fair process as the other person did not have a key skill but it is counterargued that this was overcome by something else.

Its my understanding (only) that they may have a right to some of the sucessful persons scoring data. Eg if they are claiming that it was not an open and fair process as the other person did not have a key skill but it is counterargued that this was overcome by something else.

I really wonder though can one get access to this particular information under GDPR?

i.e. if I go through an interview process which I believe to be fair, and I do not think that I was discriminated against in any way, then is it really my right to get access to the interview notes which were taken, assuming a private body?

I would not have thought so. I might be wrong of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I really wonder though can one get access to this particular information under GDPR?

i.e. if I go through an interview process which I believe to be fair, and I do not think that I was discriminated against in any way, then is it really my right to get access to the interview notes which were taken, assuming a private body?
    Yes: https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/individuals/know-your-rights/right-access-information
    You have the right to obtain the following from the data controller:
    2. Where personal data concerning you is being processed, a copy of your personal information

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement