Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Elections

Options
  • 08-05-2019 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

Mick Wallace - the only man for the job but as a dyed in the wool Eurosceptic I'll be spoiling my vote as usual. At least Mick is not using posters unlike most of the other wasters.

2019-04-23_wex_49711020_I1.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

"The only man for the job!" - yeh right. Guy got voted in in Wexford and dissappeared out of the county. Useless

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

vicwatson wrote: »
    "The only man for the job!" - yeh right. Guy got voted in in Wexford and dissappeared out of the county. Useless

And what have all our other wonderful TDs been doing?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    And what have all our other wonderful TDs been doing?

The same ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I'd vote for a poster before I'd vote for Wallace

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I think there is a misunderstanding of the role of a TD here. Wallace, as much as I may not agree with him or would vote for him, has always said he is not interested in parish pump politics and his mandate as a national TD was a national representation. Its up to local counsellors to deal with county issues. Also, without sitting in the majority government body, and particularly as an independent, there is very little he can do for the county in terms of pushing investment etc.

Wallace has always been open about his mandate and didnt ask to be voted in to sort out potholes in the local village. Whether or not you agree with that is another thing, but its harsh to criticise him for doing what he intended to do all along.

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    I think there is a misunderstanding of the role of a TD here. Wallace, as much as I may not agree with him or would vote for him, has always said he is not interested in parish pump politics and his mandate as a national TD was a national representation. Its up to local counsellors to deal with county issues. Also, without sitting in the majority government body, and particularly as an independent, there is very little he can do for the county in terms of pushing investment etc.

Wallace has always been open about his mandate and didnt ask to be voted in to sort out potholes in the local village. Whether or not you agree with that is another thing, but its harsh to criticise him for doing what he intended to do all along.

All politics are local, like it or not.

All politics are local, like it or not.

Whether I like it or not is irrelevant, Wallace said he doesnt do local politics, he was very clear on that, so it is more a case that you dont like it. He didnt hoover up votes and disappear, he more or less said he would disappear if he got voted in, so its a strange thing to be critical of now.

The only thing I agree with Wallace on, is his stance on being a National representative. It's farcical that TD's get involved in minor issues which are the function of the local authorities. Now, the fact that a TD can get a pothole filled quicker than a local councillor is a different argument

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Ireland South
    There are five seats in this constituency which covers Carlow, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Kilkenny, Laois, Limerick, Offaly, Tipperary, Waterford, Wexford and Wicklow.

Deirdre Clune MEP (Fine Gael)
    Seán Kelly MEP (Fine Gael)
    Andrew Doyle TD (Fine Gael)
    Malcolm Byrne (Fianna Fáil, Wexford county councillor)
    Billy Kelleher TD (Fianna Fáil)
    Liadh Ní Riadh MEP (Sinn Féin)
    Shelia Nunan (Labour)
    Mick Wallace TD (Independents4Change)
    Grace O’Sullivan (Green Party senator)
    Adrienne Wallace (Solidarity/People Before Profit)
    Jan Van de Ven (Direct Democracy Ireland)
    Peter O’Loughlin (Identity Ireland)
    Breda Gardner (Independent Kilkenny county councillor)
    Diarmuid O’Flynn (Independent, anti-bailout campaigner)
    Liam Minehan (Independent, farmer)
    Walter Ryan Purcell (Independent, tour operator)
    Theresa Heaney (Independent, homemaker)
    Paddy Fitzgerald (Independent, retired farmer)
    Dolores Cahill (Independent/Irexit Freedom to Prosper)
    Maurice Sexton (Independent, scientist)
    Allan Brennan (Independent, project manager)
    Colleen Worthington (Independent, homemaker)
    Peter Madden (Independent, environmental educator)

If any of the seven TDs are elected to the European Parliament, there will have to be a Dáil by-election within six months to fill their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Possible by-election in Wexford if Wallace gets elected.

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    Whether I like it or not is irrelevant, Wallace said he doesnt do local politics, he was very clear on that, so it is more a case that you dont like it. He didnt hoover up votes and disappear, he more or less said he would disappear if he got voted in, so its a strange thing to be critical of now.

Exactly, whether you like it or not is irrelevant. But the facts are, all politics are local and he's effectively not done much for his electorate. Another one trying to get a ticket for the gravy train. We shouldn't mention the fraud by him to the taxpayer I suppose? Only in Ireland would you still have your seat in Dail Eireann after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Exactly, whether you like it or not is irrelevant. But the facts are, all politics are local and he's effectively not done much for his electorate. Another one trying to get a ticket for the gravy train. We shouldn't mention the fraud by him to the taxpayer I suppose? Only in Ireland would you still have your seat in Dail Eireann after that.

One way to never hear from the guy again. A very small fish in a big pond.

Ming the Merciless disappeared into oblivion, what he does over there God knows.
    Heard him on the wireless the other day claiming he was making people more aware of what was going on in the Parliament...?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

vicwatson wrote:
    We shouldn't mention the fraud by him to the taxpayer I suppose? Only in Ireland would you still have your seat in Dail Eireann after that.

I hope you're not confusing the man with a Limited Company over which he presides. Two separate legal entities?

I hope you're not confusing the man with a Limited Comrpany over which he presides. Two separate legal entities?

That's gas.

You're right, it had nothing to do with him, he was wearing different socks that day

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

You're right, it had nothing to do with him, he was wearing different socks that day

No need to be smart about it, a poster (whom I happen to hold in good standing) made a potentially libellous statement regarding a national politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

No need to be smart about it, a poster (whom I happen to hold in good standing) made a potentially libellous statement regarding a national politician.

Can't be libellous when its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Can't be libelous at all - it is now defamation.

And you can only safely call someone out on fraud, once they have been tried and convicted of that crime. I don't think Wallace was ever proscuted for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Wallace for all his faults was a small fry in a big ocean. When you look at those who committed far greater sins and just walked away aided and abettetted by those who were supposed to be the guardians of the law.
    Take a close look at those who are standing for election in all the forthcoming elections, Local, European and General and you won't have to search too hard to find the facilitators.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Wallace for all his faults was a small fry in a big ocean. When you look at those who committed far greater sins and just walked away aided and abettetted by those who were supposed to be the guardians of the law.
    Take a close look at those who are standing for election in all the forthcoming elections, Local, European and General and you won't have to search too hard to find the facilitators.

I agree he was small fry compared to other developers, but this is public office we're talking about. Says a lot about us as a people when such candidates are acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

ezra_ wrote: »
    Can't be libelous at all - it is now defamation.

And you can only safely call someone out on fraud, once they have been tried and convicted of that crime. I don't think Wallace was ever proscuted for that.

Revenue went after him. And won. Not a court conviction, but a conviction none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Revenue went after him. And won. Not a court conviction, but a conviction none the less.
    :confused:

He made a settlement with the revenue and was not convicted of anything.

Mick Wallace is a loose cannon and has been for years, long before entering politics, hence his unpopularity with the establishment who never know what he is going to come out with next. If the Dail had more like him and less fools in smart suits we would all be a lot better off. In a way I hope that he stays in Ireland and doesn't make it into Europe as their 'gain' would be our loss.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    :confused:

He made a settlement with the revenue and was not convicted of anything.

Mick Wallace is a loose cannon and has been for years, long before entering politics, hence his unpopularity with the establishment who never know what he is going to come out with next. If the Dail had more like him and less fools in smart suits we would all be a lot better off. In a way I hope that he stays in Ireland and doesn't make it into Europe as their 'gain' would be our loss.

He is a very self-serving individual and hugely gifted at portraying otherwise

Exactly, whether you like it or not is irrelevant. But the facts are, all politics are local and he's effectively not done much for his electorate.

I'll cut out the other bit as it is completely irrelevant to any meaningful discussion.

They arent facts though. Not all politics are local. You cant say it is a fact when it isnt, particularly when said TD has clearly identified his mandate as a national one. You mightnt like him or vote for him for it, but to claim he disappeared when he got elected when that is exactly what he said he'd do is a very strange criticism.

I'd also like to know what you think he can do for his electorate, as an independent in a government controlled by Fine Gael. As an example, I had to look up who were our 4th and 5th representatives from Wexford as I genuinely couldnt remember who had got voted in as you never hear anything from them. I dont know what Michael Darcy has done for Wexford and I certainly havent a clue what James Browne has done. They arent from my locality though so maybe they have done stuff in Enniscorthy and Gorey. But is that not worse? Elected to represent the county and operate like local district councillors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I'm not sure where the "Mick is not using posters" is coming from I've seen two large posters over the weekend one just outside Wexford Town and another by O'Hanrahan Station in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I'm not sure where the "Mick is not using posters" is coming from I've seen two large posters over the weekend one just outside Wexford Town and another by O'Hanrahan Station in town.

Two billboards in each county apparently, according to himself on the Tonight Show.

Have seen the Wallace Bus doing the rounds though.

Advertisement