Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections Candidates

Options
  • 08-05-2019 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

With local elections just around the corner i was looking into the candidates a bit more however not finding much information on their view or aims. A lot just have Facebook pages which they use to post when they were at event, or updates etc.
    Is there anywhere i can go to see each candidates priorities are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

There's a full list of candidates for Louth on the Dundalk Democrat site.https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/home/380283/list-all-candidates-for-louth-local-elections-2019.html

Not exactly what your looking for i know.The Argus,Drogheda Ind,LMFM,Dundalk Democrat prob have a few journos on the job atm.15 days to polling so maybe the week before that before you get proper information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

There's a full list of candidates for Louth on the Dundalk Democrat site.https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/home/380283/list-all-candidates-for-louth-local-elections-2019.html

Not exactly what your looking for i know.The Argus,Drogheda Ind,LMFM,Dundalk Democrat prob have a few journos on the job atm.15 days to polling so maybe the week before that before you get proper information.

I got the list alright but more looking to find out what each candidate is bringing to the table. Some mention tackling crime, some mention parking fee etc. Just want to know what each candidate's proposals are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

I'm finding it quite tiresome to see press release after press release where candidates are highlighting an issue but not offering much in the way of solution. Like standing beside a pothole or broken down wall and then a press release on this and just happens to mention that they are candidates in the local election as they are unable to directly canvass in local papers or online news sites - it does get their name out there I suppose. I also feel that by coincidence the stronger candidates are batched in one area and other areas have a dearth of quality. Maybe that a bit of an unfair observation as not being from Ardee, for example, maybe its a lack of familiarity with the people in that area as opposed to Dundalk/Carlingford.

The old reliables of local hospital services, crime, parking charges are all there and of course important but how much can actually be done. I also believe that at local election level there should be less focus on national issues that are more suited to General Election questions from the public. Recent referenda that are done and dusted still seem to be issues for the public and some candidates are using the stance that other parties took at on various national issues as a stick to beat their competition with.

It is good to see some closing of the gender divide among the candidates standing. Its also apparent who have the ability to mobilise a party machine and budget to match, not necessarily the strongest candidates but certainly the ones able to gain most exposure through election posters and leaflet drops etc.

I havent heard of a debate or hustings event being announced yet. It would be a difficult enough process with so many candidates running for 29 positions on the same day as European elections but I'm sure local radio will have something in the coming fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

I wonder if there are any boards rules that stops local candidates from coming on here and making their case. Of course this is not Facebook or Insta-ticktok whatever, but this is a place to get some local folks on their side (or against) who can in turn spread the word.

I don't have a clue what any of the candidates stand for, all I see is a lot of plastic and photoshop'ed pictures on our lamp posts and fences with the usual slogans like "for No 1", "for win" etc. Not a single candidate has made the effort to stand out from the crowd and make themselves something other than a mere poster.

Slightly disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I will help the Homeless
    I will help the Renters
    I will solve the Childrens Hospital issue
    I will get broadband for all
    I will close the Dail bar
    I will fix our education system
    I will help bring down the Catholic Church
    I will get a United Ireland

Dunno how il do it, but vote DundalkFC10

• Advertisement

FOR 16K(COCO pay) Pa it's mad way to live to your life.You really need to be dedicated or go on the gravy train.

I will help the Homeless
    I will help the Renters
    I will solve the Childrens Hospital issue
    I will get broadband for all
    I will close the Dail bar
    I will fix our education system
    I will help bring down the Catholic Church
    I will get a United Ireland

Dunno how il do it, but vote DundalkFC10

disgrace,no new stadium for your so called beloved Dundalk FC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

FOR 16K(COCO pay) Pa it's mad way to live to your life.You really need to be dedicated or go on the gravy train.

Expense the sh1t out of it is how they overcome that particular hurdle

Expense the sh1t out of it is how they overcome that particular hurdle

Expenses are recorded and everything is made public record.
    You knew that.

Nesta99 wrote: »
    I'm finding it quite tiresome to see press release after press release where candidates are highlighting an issue but not offering much in the way of solution. Like standing beside a pothole or broken down wall and then a press release on this and just happens to mention that they are candidates in the local election as they are unable to directly canvass in local papers or online news sites - it does get their name out there I suppose. I also feel that by coincidence the stronger candidates are batched in one area and other areas have a dearth of quality. Maybe that a bit of an unfair observation as not being from Ardee, for example, maybe its a lack of familiarity with the people in that area as opposed to Dundalk/Carlingford.

The old reliables of local hospital services, crime, parking charges are all there and of course important but how much can actually be done. I also believe that at local election level there should be less focus on national issues that are more suited to General Election questions from the public. Recent referenda that are done and dusted still seem to be issues for the public and some candidates are using the stance that other parties took at on various national issues as a stick to beat their competition with.

It is good to see some closing of the gender divide among the candidates standing. Its also apparent who have the ability to mobilise a party machine and budget to match, not necessarily the strongest candidates but certainly the ones able to gain most exposure through election posters and leaflet drops etc.

I havent heard of a debate or hustings event being announced yet. It would be a difficult enough process with so many candidates running for 29 positions on the same day as European elections but I'm sure local radio will have something in the coming fortnight.

Been going on this last 5/6 weeks on Dundalk FM,every candidate invited.
    There was a husting event in Dundalk last week.Only about 5 took part.Audience was less than the people on stage!

Also regarding quality of people who are running.There are some brilliant people running this time.(well in Dundalk anyway)
    Keep on hurling from the ditch though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Been going on this last 5/6 weeks on Dundalk FM,every candidate invited.
    There was a husting event in Dundalk last week.Only about 5 took part.Audience was less than the people on stage!

Also regarding quality of people who are running.There are some brilliant people running this time.(well in Dundalk anyway)
    Keep on hurling from the ditch though ;)

Ok so I and it seems a large amount of people missed the the promotion of this event. As for DundalkFM i dont listen to it tbh but where was the publicity of this either? All very low key. The one party that called to the door, obviously not the candidate, couldnt answer a single question bar a default answer along the lines of 800 years of struggles...

I wasnt critical of the quality of the candidates in the Dundalk areas by the way!

Ok so I and it seems a large amount of people missed the the promotion of this event. As for DundalkFM i dont listen to it tbh but where was the publicity of this either? All very low key. The one party that called to the door, obviously not the candidate, couldnt answer a single question bar a default answer along the lines of 800 years of struggles...

I wasnt critical of the quality of the candidates in the Dundalk areas by the way!

Fianna fail for you :pac:
    I'll get Dundalk fm to ring you with a full schedule of their programmes so poor you dosn't miss anymore of their shows.:rolleyes:

Does that surprise you. All these gob****es looking to be elected are only in it for the pay packet

Does that surprise you. All these gob****es looking to be elected are only in it for the pay packet

What pay packet do you reckon we talking about that would entice you to be a County Councillor? <€17k per year and taxed to the hilt if you have a 2nd job(which most do).

Leaving all party political jibes aside.It's a hard job and i have full respect for all who do it.

Expenses LCC COUNCILLORS 2018.

councillorexpenses.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

IrishTimes have compiled a list of all local election candidates for Louth.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/louth-county-council-local-election-candidate-list-1.3890461

Had reason to get in touch with a few names on the list over the last 5 years on a few issues locally. My vote will go to the ones who answered their phones or returned my call and either got it sorted or at least tried.

There are a lot who are there for the cheque but they are not all gougers.

What pay packet do you reckon we talking about that would entice you to be a County Councillor? <€17k per year and taxed to the hilt if you have a 2nd job(which most do).

Leaving all party political jibes aside.It's a hard job and i have full respect for all who do it.

17,000 taxed at max 40% PAYE, 8% USC and 4% PRSI

Thats an extra 9,000 approx a year

Id be happy with an extra 9,000 a year for doing sweet FA.

The McGahon fella running is currently involved in a court case for fighting outside Ridleys (He has aplogised over it and has been in papers)
    He is prob going to get elected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

In Grange Rath so slightly different choices, but so far, I’ve only had one call to the door. Even pamphlets seem a bit scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Lord TSC wrote: »
    In Grange Rath so slightly different choices, but so far, I’ve only had one call to the door. Even pamphlets seem a bit scarce.

And just out of interest...did you vote for that particular candidate ? For me calling to the door means nothing to me. In fact it is almost a reason for me to not vote for you. I voted for someone who has helped in the past and to whom I would contact again. And they never came to my door... admittedly cause they probably knew they'd that box ticked but I had someone call whom I happened to go to school with. We did not get on. If we met on the street we wouldn't acknowledge each other ....yet when I opened my door she launched herself at me like my long lost bestie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And just out of interest...did you vote for that particular candidate ? For me calling to the door means nothing to me. In fact it is almost a reason for me to not vote for you. I voted for someone who has helped in the past and to whom I would contact again.

It was the opposite here. For the first time in 65 years of voting, I didn't know anything of any of the candidates and had had no dealings with any of them. We live rurally and only one candidate bothered to call to the house. He got all our votes and no second preferences.

Advertisement