Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder fees

Options
  • 08-05-2019 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Are you working ‘under the table’? If so, I don’t think you can expect to have the same employment entitlements as someone who is working above board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Jane7939 wrote:
    Its cash in hand but still morrally I feel in being taken for granted I take goid care of the kids

No offense but you and your employer are not paying tax, prsi so clearly morals are absent.
    I suggest you advise your employer of both your responsibilities and seek a proper legal situation or seek alternative employment. Btw if revenue or social welfare become aware you both could be facing substantial bills. I hope you are not in receipt of a SW payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

If it's all cash in hand I'm afraid there's not much you can do as you are complicit in what is essentially tax fraud.
    Yes the amount of work does seem excessive for what you are paid but if your not contributing to revenue it's hard to see how you are being wronged in fairness.
    Would you not try and get it all above board and pay taxes and then charge a proper amount, maby get a first aid certificate etc and I'm sure many parents would value that skill and be happy to pay accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You need to move they are paying you well below your worth to them. The cash in hand means you really have no one to complain to, find something else that pays your worth and then just don’t turn up for them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

From the perspective of someone who pays a professional (official) childminding service, I estimate I'm paying 4.5/hr but thats as they do it in bulk, otherwise I suspect it would be more.
    When I looked for off the books rates, they were about €8-10/hr minding one child, thats said, adding an extra child didnt double it. Having said that you are minding 3 children, albeit off the books. Maybe look up mumsnet or childminding online and see what the rates are per 1/2/3 children in your locality/region.

Officially you are probably entitled to more, although work could dry up if you approach it by that route and there may be other circumstances that are not mentioned here, I dont know.
    I wouldnt expect pay for Public Holidays unless you worked them though, and then something slightly more than usual or a negotiated amount if you were available/needed/wanted the money.

The off the books rate will always be less. Still I would consider €4.50 reasonable per child for 2 children are being minded in one scenario, maybe less per/hr for the third (maybe not) so maybe 10-12/hr for your scenario, it would be advisable to have some kind of qualification and at least child CPR. Any that can bump up your ability to request more.

All that said, I think you are working for too little. I can see how it is a pressure for a family to pay out, I was/am on that side of the fence, but you need to get a fair return.
    If you were minding one child I think 5/hr would be ok, but 3, Id think a minimum of 10, maybe 12/hr.

You wont know unless you bring it up, are the parents well enough off they could afford it or maybe struggling? ie wont have the money to pay out might determine how much you can push for, if anything.

I suggest going online and looking into what unofficial rates are, then line up some work for your other days with a view to finding a new family to mind for, then bring it up with the people you're minding, say you feel you are getting too little, and be prepared to leave if they dont give you want you set as your bottom line. Be prepared to even have them annoyed and tell yuo they dont want to have you mind their children, but they will probably be stuck, so maybe they will pay out, or drop you like a stone a few weeks later if they sort something else out.

Id realise on your part, not paying tax means you wont earn what an official minding person/business will or be able to compete with a bulk rate of an official business. If you exceed what they may pay for a formal minders to do the work, they may switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jane7939

What i mean is cash in hand but it is declared i thought u ment was i registered yes i pay a small amout of tax on the wages but i get paid in cash

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Are you working ‘under the table’? If so, I don’t think you can expect to have the same employment entitlements as someone who is working above board.

I've a child minder, the minding takes place in their house and the tax obligation sits with the childminder.

If as above the minding takes place in the parents house then they are an employee and the tax arrangements sit with the parents, it becomes very expensive. Not treating the person working in your home is a cost saving for the parents not the employee, no stamp etc.

I get paid on bank holidays, I get paid for holidays. We pay our child minder for both. Anyone who doesn't is being miserable in my opinion.

With the risk of sounding preachy IMO you should treat people like you would like to be treated, these people take care of your children.

No the parents are well off both have very goid jobs

Stoner wrote: »
    I've a child minder, the minding takes place in their house and the tax obligation sits with the childminder.

If as above the minding takes place in the parents house then they are an employee and the tax arrangements sit with the parents, it becomes very expensive. Not treating the person working in your home is a cost saving for the parents not the employee, no stamp etc.

I get paid on bank holidays, I get paid for holidays. We pay our child minder for both. Anyone who doesn't is being miserable in my opinion.

With the risk of sounding preachy IMO you should treat people like you would like to be treated, these people take care of your children.

In my view, generally I agree, that said, they do seem to be part time, so that might mean they would have less moral entitlement to get paid for a bank holiday (and I say this as one of the few, if only person to offer a supportive view before your own). I worked in a formal setting in a large organisation, and I only got paid for when I was present, so if sick, no pay, if I wasnt in on a public holiday as a work day, I got nothing, its crappy but thats how it was, and Id say in less formalised setting its more likely to not get paid for holidays or public holidays, unless you work the day and its more like zero hr.
    That said, I think the OP is getting bilked, ie too low a rate for her work.
    I forgot to ask if the OP does any of the school runs in their own car or pays for any food (should not), for insurance purposes and cost.

Id suggest if someone was a fulltime childminder it would be fair to pay for holidays and have Public holidays off or an extra rate to work them.

Jane7939 wrote: »
    What i mean is cash in hand but it is declared i thought u ment was i registered yes i pay a small amout of tax on the wages but i get paid in cash

Do you get a payslip?

• Advertisement

Do you get a payslip?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

What did both parties agree to before commencement of employment? Have you a contract?
    Have you childcare qualifications?
    All these are relevant.

I use my own car yes its not a far distance....But I do clean all bedrooms and kitchen a clothes washing also make dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Yes

are you self employed or working for them ? Who's paying your tax and prsi ?

Yes

How long have you been employed by them? Have you checked your Revenue account to see if you are actually paying the tax? Have you received a P60 from Revenue?

bertsmom wrote: »
    What did both parties agree to before commencement of employment? Have you a contract?
    Have you childcare qualifications?
    All these are relevant.

I have a background in healthcare so yes I'd be covered in minding kids I can't remember the detail at the start I only do this as a sideline thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Yes

If you're getting a payslip then presumably you're classed as an employee and if so you should have tax credits worth €16,500 a year to you.

As an employee, you are also entitled to paid annual leave plus paid bank holidays.

At €50 a day for say 150 days a year you're not earning enough to be paying tax or USC or PRSI.

Unless they are earning elsewhere too, Id be suprised if they are paying any or much tax at all, 150 * 52 weeks is 7800, minus the tax credit and prsi allowance that comes to very little left to tax and I below a certain amount no USI either.

Squatter wrote: »
    If you're getting a payslip then presumably you're classed as an employee so you should have a tax credit worth €16,500 a year.

You are also entitled to paid annual leave plus paid bank holidays.

At €50 a day for say 250 days a year you're not earning enough to be paying tax, although you may be liable to pay a tiny amount of USC and PRSI.

I pay a very small amount prsi as the income is so low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Hi I'm currently minding 3children flim their home I do 10 hours in the house 3 days a week include kids breakfast and school drop offs and collections I do dinners and cleaning and get 50 euro a day I feel this is to little?also one of my contract days are Mondays but because bank holidays fall on a Monday the parents are not paying me for the Monday so means I loose a days pay every time there's a bank holiday I feel I should be getting paid for bank holiday...am I over reacting?

You are being treated little better than a slave. Find another job and report these people. In the meantime DO NOT use your own car, you are putting yourself at risk. Let them provide transport.

• Advertisement

If you're getting a payslip then presumably you're classed as an employee and if so you should have tax credits worth €16,500 a year to you.

As an employee, you are also entitled to paid annual leave plus paid bank holidays.

At €50 a day for say 250 days a year you're not earning enough to be paying tax, although you may be liable to pay a tiny amount of USC and PRSI.

Tax and PRSI credits amount to 3300, so no tax up until 16,500 (at 20%) but 0.5% USC on less than 12k, I thought it was exempt below lower earnings.

Stating it as 16500 tax credits is misleading and incorrect, they can earn up to 16500 without paying tax at 20%
    PRSI I think is exempt or reduced below certain levels so the OP must be paying tax/PRSI elsewhere.
    Id suggest a total deduction all in of tax and PRSI up to 20% means little or nothing to pay on earnings up to 16500, buts its not technically a tax credit, the credit is 20% of that, ie 1650 for tax and 1650 for PRSI (or 3300 total), 5 times 20% is 100% means 5 times 3300 is 16500.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Technically working in children's own home subjects you to at least minimum wage. More if you've more than one child and have the appropriate training or qualifications. However this is through the books and the parent becomes your employer. It actually works out quite dear for the parent unfortunately and means it's not really a viable option for many.

You do seem to be being taken advantage of. As you are being paid actually below the rate that I'd accept for 3 children in my own home at €5 an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

That's good as it means that you are in an employee situation - hence your employer is legally obliged to pay you for holidays and bank holidays.

1874 wrote: »
    Tax and PRSI credits amount to 3300, so no tax up until 16,500 (at 20%) but 0.5% USC on less than 12k, I thought it was exempt below lower earnings.

Im not great on tax issues I know from the 150 I get less then 25 euro of that is taken for I presume prsi

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The minimum wage in Ireland is 9.80 an hour. you're getting paid 5.00.

I think that tells you ever you need to know.

Have you checked your Revenue account? Have you received a P60?

o1s1n wrote: »
    The minimum wage in Ireland is 9.80 an hour. you're getting paid 5.00.

I think that tells you ever you need to know.

Yes it does it's only recently I've sat and thought of how little I get and looked more into it all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You shouldn't be paying any prsi. There is something you are not telling us that is relevant here. For €150 for 30 hours work I would be shocked if the couple are registered as employers.
    Do you live with them by any chance?
    Are you legally allowed work in Ireland?
    What other income do you have?
    Are you claiming social welfare benefits?

Why not leave and work elsewhere? It would be simple to mind kids in your own home for example and then you charge what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

That's good as it means that you are in an employee situation - hence your employer is legally obliged to pay you for holidays and bank holidays.

not if they are on a part time basis and not scheduled to work on bank holidays.
    They are obliged to pay you for holidays based on hours accrued.

Also you should be getting around 12/13 euro per hour for that type of work... so you're being significantly underpaid..

There is a shortage of good childminders so I would recommend leaving and you should be able to get a better job relatively quickly or alternatively once you hand in your notice they may be willing to double your salary...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Jane7939 wrote:
    Im not great on tax issues I know from the 150 I get less then 25 euro of that is taken for I presume prsi

There is something more to your story that you have omitted. Btw if you are using your car for work purposes ie picking up the children unless you have told your insurance company you have another potential serious issue if an accident occurs.

Advertisement