Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder fees

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

1874 wrote: »
    Tax and PRSI credits amount to 3300, so no tax up until 16,500 (at 20%) but 0.5% USC on less than 12k, I thought it was exempt below lower earnings.

Stating it as 16500 tax credits is misleading and incorrect, they can earn up to 16500 without paying tax at 20%

PRSI I think is exempt or reduced below certain levels so the OP must be paying tax/PRSI elsewhere.

Id suggest a total deduction all in of tax and PRSI up to 20% means little or nothing to pay on earnings up to 16500, buts its not technically a tax credit, the credit is 20% of that, ie 1650 for tax and 1650 for PRSI (or 3300 total), 5 times 20% is 100% means 5 times 3300 is 16500.

It was shorthand to assist the OP; had I realised that I'd be encountering a pedant with too much time on his hands, then I'd have given chapter and verse!

As for my earlier comment on PRSI and USC - having re-read her OP and seen that she's working only 3 days a week, I was incorrect to suggest that she'd be paying either USC or PRSI, although her employer should be paying PRSI for her. I have revised my post accordingly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

..... not if they are on a part time basis and not scheduled to work on bank holidays.

Incorrect!

For the record:-

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

Entitlement to public holidays is set out in the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997. Most employees are entitled to paid leave on public holidays. One exception is part-time employees who have not worked for their employer at least 40 hours in total in the 5 weeks before the public holiday. (the OP would have worked for 150 hours in the previous 5 weeks)

If you qualify for public holiday benefit you are entitled to one of the following:

A paid day off on the public holiday
    An additional day of annual leave
    An additional day's pay
    A paid day off within a month of the public holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

OP do you do any other work that could be complicating the tax issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Its possible the OP is in a vulnerable situation or just is in low paid work or needs the extra cash (no offenc intended) and doesnt want to be turned on by other posters for not paying a pittance of tax which they might owe, people who do additional side work usually do it to try get some extra money together, not formalise it.
    In reality, people dont do this in their own homes formally if they know what it entails as they'd then be obliged to pay PRSI for the person, I think the change that made that so ruined it for both parties involved and pushed the kind of work, somewhat underground, so what they do instead is keep it informal and give the person a reasonable amount that works for both parties and leave the taxmans grubby hands out of it.
    Officially the parents should be paying prsi and giving holidays, but its better for the person to get at least a reasonable amount and say nothing, I dont think thats the case here.
    As the Op then said they do cleaning and drop offs in their own car, I suggest an outright minimum of 10-12/hr which would be at least 300 per week rather than 100. Will the people pay it? or will the work stop and they bilk someone else in need of the money?
    Or maybe 8/hr for cleaning, 12 for childminding and some petrol costs, averaging at 10 per hour plus petrol or 12/hour whatever is negotiated and mileage/risk dependant.

Squatter wrote: »
    It was shorthand to assist the OP; had I realised that I'd be encountering a pedant with too much time on his hands, then I'd have given chapter and verse!

As for my earlier comment on PRSI and USC - having re-read her OP and seen that she's working only 3 days a week, I was incorrect to suggest that she'd be paying either USC or PRSI, although her employer should be paying PRSI for her. I have revised my post accordingly!

thank you, Im not being critical, I wondered how you arrived at the figure until I checked and realised you did the sum calculation all in one go, but just wanted to show how you arrived at that figure in case the person didnt know, so I just wrote it out so theyd realise no tax on earnings up to 16500.
    I can be pedantic, but Im not being so in this case,
    I also have a moral compass (which has not always served me well) and Im trying to offer advice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jane7939

What made me take notice was the man who cleans the window got 40 euro for 2 hours work I get 10 euro more for 10 hours there put it all into perspective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Jane7939 wrote:
    What made me take notice was the man who cleans the window got 40 euro for 2 hours work I get 10 euro more for 10 hours there put it all into perspective

The guy who cleans the windows is self employed, pays his own tax. Runs a vehicle for his business and has insurance and several other costs associated with said business. You earning 5 euro an hour is your own responsibility, I suggest you get a mainstream job or have your employer regularise your employment properly which based on what you have said seems to be a black economy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I could be my maths I am absolutely terrible at figures but something's just not adding up.
    I could be wrong but I feel like you are leaving out important information that affects the answers.
    Op with the information you are providing only you know if you are being underpaid.
    Perhaps if all is as above board as you claim bring your last few payslips into citizen's advice centre or social welfare office and ask if they might have a look at the facts and figures for you...

The guy who cleans the windows is self employed, pays his own tax. Runs a vehicle for his business and has insurance and several other costs associated with said business. You earning 5 euro an hour is your own responsibility, I suggest you get a mainstream job or have your employer regularise your employment properly which based on what you have said seems to be a black economy job.

Think you may need to read the thread properly she is paid legitimate.

No offence but that is some rip off for cleaning windows, regularised or not
    and the OP regularised or not is also getting ripped, sounds like the parents dont place much value on their children if they pay 20/hr for window cleaning but 5/hr for childminding.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote:
    Think you may need to read the thread properly she is paid legitimate.

The absence of a payslip for one, which is a legal requirement begs to differ. Less than minimum wage is another. No payment for using her own vehicle for work... I think I have demonstrated how the job appears to be anything but legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You are being underpaid. There are couples who were brought to labour court by au pairs and foreced to pay the difference. This is an example.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/as-employment-rights-change-has-the-au-pair-had-her-day-1.2951047%3fmode=amp

That being said I don't believe you one bit that you are declaring your earnings. Only you know how much of the social welfare you are receiving and if everything is above board.

The absence of a payslip for one, which is a legal requirement begs to differ. Less than minimum wage is another. No payment for using her own vehicle for work... I think I have demonstrated how the job appears to be anything but legit.

You demonstrated you didnt read the thread, they said earlier they get a payslip, Im wondering who is making it up (no puns intended originally until I read what I said) I mean adding it all up.

She does get a payslip so I think I have demonstrated the job is legit.

meeeeh wrote: »
    You are being underpaid. There are couples who were brought to labour court by au pairs and foreced to pay the difference. This is an example.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/as-employment-rights-change-has-the-au-pair-had-her-day-1.2951047%3fmode=amp

That being said I don't believe you one bit that you are declaring your earnings. Only you know how much of the social welfare you are receiving and if everything is above board.

ANd that bollixed up legitimate au pairing, I suppose its part well meaning but hamfisted state intervention.
    Au Pair is completely different and should always have been sperate from paid employment, they should have regularised what falls under Au Pair and what is employment.
    I qualify that by openly admitting I never had an Au Pair, Id did have someone mind my child before that came in, but ultimately and not long after availed of an official business/service that provides child minding.

Jane7939 wrote: »
    Hi I'm currently minding 3children flim their home I do 10 hours in the house 3 days a week include kids breakfast and school drop offs and collections I do dinners and cleaning and get 50 euro a day I feel this is to little?also one of my contract days are Mondays but because bank holidays fall on a Monday the parents are not paying me for the Monday so means I loose a days pay every time there's a bank holiday I feel I should be getting paid for bank holiday...am I over reacting?

Yes, you are being exploited. I am sorry to have to tell you that. I'm paying €10 per hour every day for a childminder to mind one of my children. No cleaning at all, just childminding. She cannot drive either. It's also costing an arm and a leg for all these bank holidays - €100 per day when they're not even here (3 of them in the past month alone). When they started they said €10 was low and they would expect an increase. It's all cash in hand (as it would be even more expensive for me if it weren't - i.e. you're also doing them a favour by accepting cash in hand). And there is no state ECCE-type subsidy if one hires a childminder. To be honest, I feel exploited given that I must earn @ €18 for each €10 I pay but I comfort myself that it will only be for a couple more years.

By law, as somebody points out above, you are entitled to be paid for a bank holiday. You could get a far higher salary elsewhere - of that I am certain as it took a substantial amount of time before I could find somebody. If you are Irish and have solid references many parents would pay extra rather than have somebody with fewer roots to our society looking after their child.

ANd that bollixed up legitimate au pairing, I suppose its part well meaning but hamfisted state intervention.
    Au Pair is completely different and should always have been sperate from paid employment, they should have regularised what falls under Au Pair and what is employment.
    I qualify that by openly admitting I never had an Au Pair, Id did have someone mind my child before that came in, but ultimately and not long after availed of an official business/service that provides child minding.
    Omg why is my question Turing into debate on tax issues I do not get any other income only the 150 i get for childminding and would appreciate just a basic opinion to my question I don't nerd to know the law

No offence but that is some rip off for cleaning windows, regularised or not
    and the OP regularised or not is also getting ripped, sounds like the parents dont place much value on their children if they pay 20/hr for window cleaning but 5/hr for childminding.
    The house is huge and they are very particular about work done at their home

I'm beginning to develop a begrudging respect for these people - I paid €90 for my windows to be cleaned a month ago and €120 before that. Until now I thought I was getting a deal.

Seriously, never mind people giving you a hard time here. You are being seriously exploited and I would even consult FLAC (for free) about your legal rights here. Give them a ring this minute. I have the Mindme app and I can tell you it's not uncommon at all to see childminders seeking €15 or €20 per hour. Check the website yourself now. It's unusual to see an Irish person looking for "just" €10 per hour. There is huge demand for a trustworthy childminder with solid references. I'm a bit worried for you that you seem to be oblivious to your value in the market.

Omg why is my question Turing into debate on tax issues I do not get any other income only the 150 i get for childminding and would appreciate just a basic opinion to my question I don't nerd to know the law

For a start, Im one of the posters here giving constructive advice and trying to help,
    next, it is essentially a tax issue among others, there isnt just a basic answer to this, in my opinion, and knowing the law is important, if even only the basics.

• Advertisement

How many times do I need to repeat I get a pay slip jeez I just need a simple opinion not a course on tax and legal issues

Jane7939 wrote:
    I don't nerd to know the law

The above is the reason why you are being exploited. Go to Citizen Advice, stop using your private vehicle for work . That's my advice , good luck.

The house is huge and they are very particular about work done at their home

Its not the size of the house, I consider 20/hr excessive as an hourly rate for window cleaning

meeeeh wrote: »

I don't get social welfare wher did I state that I did?? I'm only minding the kids a few weeks as I'm new to workforce after sometime ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I don't get social welfare wher did I state that I did?? I'm only minding the kids a few weeks as I'm new to workforce after sometime ok

Are you living in the house and getting free accomodation ?

The minimum wage for those doing less than 39 hours a week is €9.75 per hour.

Please be aware that if you crash your car, you would be in the shít. I do not know if you need commercial PLI or what. You should check this all out.

Sounds like this couple are taking the proverbial

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I do not get any other income only the 150 i get for childminding and would appreciate just a basic opinion to my question I don't nerd to know the law

I only do this as a sideline thing

Which is it? As I said there is missing information here as no one can live in this country on €150 per week with less when there is a bank holiday.
    If what you are saying is true take a case against them and recoup your income upto at least minimum wage and go work elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Jane7939 wrote:
    What i mean is cash in hand but it is declared i thought u ment was i registered yes i pay a small amout of tax on the wages but i get paid in cash

They are paying you less than minimum wage! This is illegal and they are exploiting you. If they are your employer you can go to the labour court.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

People who took advantage of au pairs bolloxed up aupairing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

STB. wrote: »
    The minimum wage for those doing less than 39 hours a week is
    €9.75 per hour.

Not necessarily. There are lower rates that can be paid and depending on living arrangements (which has been asked a couple of times but not answered) there may be allowable deductions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Not necessarily. There are lower rates that can be paid and depending on living arrangements (which has been asked a couple of times but not answered) there may be allowable deductions.

I know, thats why I asked. If they are under 18, that might also be a factor, but I doubt it in both cases. I'd say this is just another modern day slavery try on.

Advertisement