Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chimney flues broke

• 08-05-2019 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I have problems with my chimney, with the filling falling into the stove, got it checked with a camera and have two broken flu bends around about joist height, wondering is it a major job to fix and will it be costly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

massey265 wrote: »
    I have problems with my chimney, with the filling falling into the stove, got it checked with a camera and have two broken flu bends around about joist height, wondering is it a major job to fix and will it be costly.

Is it on an outside wall?
    What caused the damage?
    Have you house insurance?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

It is on a internal wall, we are presuming badly built or chimney cleaner broke it.
    House is insured.

massey265 wrote: »
    It is on a internal wall, we are presuming badly built or chimney cleaner broke it.
    House is insured.

Messy job then.
    What I have seen done is the chimney is cut open longitudinally from below the break to the top of the stack, leaving the odd piece in place: new flues fitted, then built back up.
    Messy but effective

If you claim it will affect your premium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Can you not just replace with a flue insert bendy kind and some vermiculite for the air gap.

listermint wrote: »
    Can you not just replace with a flue insert bendy kind and some vermiculite for the air gap.
    Not if you want a complete seal, i.e. using socket and spigot or similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭bemak

reline the flue? We got a stove in recently and the existing existing chimney was found to be damaged in a few locations. Didn't really matter in the end because we put in a liner for the stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

bemak wrote:
    reline the flue? We got a stove in recently and the existing existing chimney was found to be damaged in a few locations. Didn't really matter in the end because we put in a liner for the stove.

That would be a option, mine is a two story, what did it cost you to do?

same. around 400-600. Cant remember exactly. was rolled into the overall cost of the stove

bemak wrote: »

Well IMO it does matter.

One purpose of the liner is to reduce the flue diameter and therefore reduce the draw on the stove.

While they are mentioned in Part J, in I am of the opinion that under no circumstances can it be construed to mean that if the chimney is damaged to the extent that gases can enter the house, that a flue liner is an adequate repair.

Well IMO it does matter.

One purpose of the liner is to reduce the flue diameter and therefore reduce the draw on the stove.

While they are mentioned in Part J, in I am of the opinion that under no circumstances can it be construed to mean that if the chimney is damaged to the extent that gases can enter the house, that a flue liner is an adequate repair.

Fair point. I ensured we got a 904 liner which is more durable than the 316 alternative. Also, it's twin walled. On top of that we have a second CO2 detector in the bedroom above the sitting room. I think we're well covered and I wouldn't be worried about it.

Just found this off a chimney damage & repair website

Why should I reline my chimney?

You may need to reline your chimney if
    It has been damaged by a chimney fire or some other accident
    If your chimney has settled and tipped away from the house.
    If it is an older chimney which may have been built without a liner installed or the liners may have deteriorated
    You need to resize the chimney for a new appliance; such as converting from oil to gas heat
    You need to stop excessive creosote build-up (and risk of a chimney fire) when venting a woodstove through an existing fireplace

• Advertisement
Advertisement