Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi

Options
  • 08-05-2019 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I’m hoping someone can help with this issue. As briefly as possible- Apple desktop 2011, upstairs, internet connection via TP Link up and down with Cat5 cable. Working albeit poorly. Checking on broadband speed, moved it down to Virgin Media router and connected with Cat 5, speed grand. However notice that there’s no WiFi internet when cable unplugged. Bring back upstairs to set up and can’t. No WiFi with everything else such as phone and iPad perfect. Tried all or think I’ve tried all manoeuvres but no joy. Rang technical at Virgin and they gave me four ip addresses for four items in house but none work on Mac. They are all 192, 168 but then 192 again plus number. Is that correct? If I bring desktop back down and wire up what should I try? I know this is a long palaver but have been at this for hours and would appreciate a dig out. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Larsheen wrote: »
    internet connection via TP Link up and down with Cat5 cable.
    What device is that, and what you mean by "up and down"? Powerline adapter?
    However notice that there’s no WiFi internet when cable unplugged...No WiFi with everything else such as phone and iPad perfect.
    Is wireless enabled? Was it ever working on WiFi?
    Rang technical at Virgin and they gave me four ip addresses for four items in house but none work on Mac. They are all 192, 168 but then 192 again plus number. Is that correct?.
    IP address is set of four three figure numbers (0-255, leading "zeros" could be omitted) with " . "{dot} as delimiter - 192.168.1.1 , you can assign this as "static" per device, but its not necessary, as your DHCP does it (usually on main router) automatically. Assigning static IP might require bit advanced knowledge how network work. Incorrectly configured IP's might "kill" your network completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Larsheen

What device is that, and what you mean by "up and down"? Powerline adapter?
    Is wireless enabled? Was it ever working on WiFi?
    IP address is set of four three figure numbers (0-255, leading "zeros" could be omitted) with " . "{dot} as delimiter - 192.168.1.1 , you can assign this as "static" per device, but its not necessary, as your DHCP does it (usually on main router) automatically. Assigning static IP might require bit advanced knowledge how network work. Incorrectly configured IP's might "kill" your network completely.
    Thank you very much smuggler.
    My apologies for vagueness, I was trying to be as brief as possible. The TP Link is a booster of two parts. By “up and down” I meant that I fed a cable from Virgin Horizon/router box into the booster plugged into electric socket downstairs and a cable from the second part of it plugged in to the electric socket upstairs to the desktop.
    The desktop was working on WiFi but when I moved it from one room to another upstairs for the usually given reason, walls etc, the speed/strength dropped and hence the boosters.
    I don’t remember having to do anything with IP addresses when I first got the desktop, it just seemed to work seamlessly. Now I’m sure there was some setting up but there was no grief. I’d remember because I’m crap at tech stuff. The only thing that happened “out of the ordinary” yesterday was that we went from a month to month contract on to a yearly one with an increase in download speed. I checked the speed on the desktop and it didn’t seem to have improved, I took the desktop downstairs and as I say wired it in with cable and the speed was perfect. As soon as I disconnected cable it had no internet. The desktop says the WiFi is turned on but not connected. Anyway I’m sorry for taking up your time.

To me it sound like either Powerline adapter limitation or fault.

If you have NOT modified IP settings on any of your network devices, leave it as is, for now anyway.

Connecting computer directly to VM router over cable (and working as expected) indicate that your main router and computer Ethernet function OK. Try reset your TP-Link adapter set, see if it makes difference.

Side note: them powerline adapters "don't like" work on separate power circuits. upstairs and downstairs might be on different breakers in your fuseboard, refer to TP-Link manual.

As for WiFi, does your VM SSID (WiFi name) appear on the list of available connections on computer while downstairs?
    Was TP-Link adapters(model?) set as separate AP(different SSID) - it could be just out of reach downstairs and computer not set to "auto-connect" to VM. Try to connect manually.

To me it sound like either Powerline adapter limitation or fault.

If you have NOT modified IP settings on any of your network devices, leave it as is, for now anyway.

Connecting computer directly to VM router over cable (and working as expected) indicate that your main router and computer Ethernet function OK. Try reset your TP-Link adapter set, see if it makes difference.

Side note: them powerline adapters "don't like" work on separate power circuits. upstairs and downstairs might be on different breakers in your fuseboard, refer to TP-Link manual.

As for WiFi, does your VM SSID (WiFi name) appear on the list of available connections on computer while downstairs?
    Was TP-Link adapters(model?) set as separate AP(different SSID) - it could be just out of reach downstairs and computer not set to "auto-connect" to VM. Try to connect manually.
    Thank you again smuggler. I’m out of the house tonight and tomorrow but will do all you suggest and see how it goes. Unfortunately I was messing around with the IP addresses given by Virgin but I’ll connect over cable again and see if I can figure it out with what you’ve said. I’ll come back either way.

Thank you again smuggler. I’m out of the house tonight and tomorrow but will do all you suggest and see how it goes. Unfortunately I was messing around with the IP addresses given by Virgin but I’ll connect over cable again and see if I can figure it out with what you’ve said. I’ll come back either way.
    If you have altered settings on VM router, you can restore defaults by resetting it.

Be aware that this will reset logon password, IP, WiFi SSID and password, as well other settings(if any changed) to factory defaults.

If all other devices(phone, iPad, other computers, TV's, etc.) on your network function as expected, you might not need to change any settings nor reset, but troubleshoot TP-Link adapter(s).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I’m hoping someone can help with this issue. As briefly as possible- Apple desktop 2011, upstairs, internet connection via TP Link up and down with Cat5 cable. Working albeit poorly. Checking on broadband speed, moved it down to Virgin Media router and connected with Cat 5, speed grand. However notice that there’s no WiFi internet when cable unplugged. Bring back upstairs to set up and can’t. No WiFi with everything else such as phone and iPad perfect. Tried all or think I’ve tried all manoeuvres but no joy. Rang technical at Virgin and they gave me four ip addresses for four items in house but none work on Mac. They are all 192, 168 but then 192 again plus number. Is that correct? If I bring desktop back down and wire up what should I try? I know this is a long palaver but have been at this for hours and would appreciate a dig out. Thank you.

I can't make head nor tail of this

If you have altered settings on VM router, you can restore defaults by resetting it.

Be aware that this will reset logon password, IP, WiFi SSID and password, as well other settings(if any changed) to factory defaults.

If all other devices(phone, iPad, other computers, TV's, etc.) on your network function as expected, you might not need to change any settings nor reset, but troubleshoot TP-Link adapter(s).
    My apologies smuggler for not replying sooner.Somewhere along the way, possibly when I changed the location in 'network' from automatic to test,I saw this suggestion somewhere!!!, it got going again.However in the meantime I have been struggling with Virgin Media and broadband not doing as it should and all that stuff, so hence the delay.One step forward and maybe one back? But thank you again.I appreciate you help.

Let me know current status if you need further assistance.

Advertisement