Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shango

KCross wrote: »
    The standing charge goes up about €50 per year and your day rate goes up about 1c/kWh.

If you have about average yearly consumption (<4000kWh) you need to use about 3kWh on average per night to break even.
    Great info cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shango

Has anyone got an insurance quote for one, have private insurance on current car but I'll be putting this through the business and axa don't do.
    Gonna start asking around, also be prepared to loose your no claims bonus etc as they treat your company like a new driver, i,e, the personal no claims cant apply.... unless you find someone who does, this let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

There havent been any test drives/reviews so no one really knows outside of VW but they do list different levels between standard and Max

For every ID.3 they list
    Lane keeping system “Lane Assist”

For the 1st max they list
    – Comfort drive “Travel Assist”, lane keeping system “Lane Assist” and “Emergency Assist”
    – Lane change assistant “Side Assist” and “Emergency Assist”

Impossible to really tell how good "Lane Assist" is based on that.
    i.e. Whats the difference between Lane Assist and Travel Assist?

We have to wait for reviews or our own test drives as it appears that customers will get the cars at the same time as everyone else.

I found some VW videos on youtube about Lane Assist and Travel Assist for other models but difficult to know if they'll translate the same to the ID.3

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmRj6rsRj-c
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dqoWdxVRpyU

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Shango wrote: »
    Gonna start asking around, also be prepared to loose your no claims bonus etc as they treat your company like a new driver, i,e, the personal no claims cant apply.... unless you find someone who does, this let me know!

Yea that's what worry's me losing my no claims bonus. I've a classic I need to insure at some stage when ever it's finished, wondering if I have classic insurance will that stop me losing my bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Yea that's what worry's me losing my no claims bonus. I've a classic I need to insure at some stage when ever it's finished, wondering if I have classic insurance will that stop me losing my bonus.

I'm not sure, but being named on somebody else's might. I had a company car for years and left going carless for a while and lost my no claims bonus, however I was still named on mother's car from when I was a teenager (I also had a policy with them for a while before the company car) so had a full no claims bonus with that company .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

liamog wrote: »
    Travel Assist was introduced in the recent Passat Refresh.
    As far as I'm aware it's lane keeping, plus acc,

Surely all ID.3 will have lane keep assist (LKAS), ACC (active cruise control) and AEB (autonomous emergency braking)?

All three are required as standard on a new model car, or the car will NOT get 5 stars in the Euro NCAP safety test

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    Surely all ID.3 will have lane keep assist (LKAS), ACC (active cruise control) and AEB (autonomous emergency braking)?

All three are required as standard on a new model car, or the car will NOT get 5 stars in the Euro NCAP safety test

Yes they will, which is not the same as travel assist, you missed the final plus in the quote "plus speed limit sign recognition and control of your set speed."
    Travel Assist, Side Assist and Emergency Assist all build on these to provide more functionality.

I'm not sure, but being named on somebody else's might. I had a company car for years and left going carless for a while and lost my no claims bonus, however I was still named on mother's car from when I was a teenager (I also had a policy with them for a while before the company car) so had a full no claims bonus with that company .

I'm named on the Mrs car, I'll check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭eagerv

The entry 1st doesn't appear to have the sensors on the side of the car so probably will not have the full Travel Assist..

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

eagerv wrote: »
    The entry 1st doesn't appear to have the sensors on the side of the car so probably will not have the full Travel Assist..
    Travel assist is only in Max.

• Advertisement

Yes they will, which is not the same as travel assist, you missed the final plus in the quote "plus speed limit sign recognition and control of your set speed."
    Travel Assist, Side Assist and Emergency Assist all build on these to provide more functionality.

I spotted that, just wanted to establish what all models got. And surely nobody is daft enough to spend Tesla money and buy a Max anyway? :p

I spotted that, just wanted to establish what all models got. And surely nobody is daft enough to spend Tesla money and buy a Max anyway? :p

It might be 9K cheaper next week.:D

Joking apart, there is a lot of unhappy punters in Germany atm where they have released the prices of the series ID3, looks like the long range will be available for 41K (77kWh), similar to what people paid for the 1st Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Has anyone got an insurance quote for one, have private insurance on current car but I'll be putting this through the business and axa don't do.

I have my van insurance through AXA. I put an enquiry into them by email (could not wait on hold any longer). As I will probably keep the van they said I could "mirror "the NCB on to the car.
    They are calling me back to quote, maybe this would help you?

Redlim wrote: »
    Any ideas how smart is the VW Lane Assist for the ID.3 on the 1st and 1st Plus? How would it compare with either of the Kia/Hyundai Lane Follow Assist or Lane Keep Assist systems? Will VW's version just bounce you between the lines similar to LKA or keep you centred like the LFA for 10-15 seconds?

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10207294549518997&set=gm.696345577588150

Taken from photo on VW id.3 prebookers page

there is a lot of unhappy punters in Germany atm where they have released the prices of the series ID3, looks like the long range will be available for 41K (77kWh), similar to what people paid for the 1st Plus.

That looks like a decent price for the long range. And about €28k for the base and the whole range should sell very well across Europe.

What did those people expect? A €49k or so medium range Golf is way overpriced. The spec is not even that good either and certainly not worth anything more than a fraction of the extra €15k over the cheapest first edition. Buyers of the max are mugs (sorry, hope I'm not offending anyone in here)

That looks like a decent price for the long range. And about €28k for the base and the whole range should sell very well across Europe.

What did those people expect? A €49k or so medium range Golf is way overpriced. The spec is not even that good either and certainly not worth anything more than a fraction of the extra €15k over the cheapest first edition. Buyers of the max are mugs (sorry, hope I'm not offending anyone in here)

one poster on another forum calculated a benefit of 810 euro for the 1st which isn't much for placing a downpayment a year ago.

one poster on another forum calculated a benefit of 810 euro for the 1st which isn't much for placing a downpayment a year ago.

I think VW were expecting to have all the 1sts delivered by now but got held up by you know what, so there will only be a few weeks between these and the normal production run.
    What many weren't expecting was that the mid range series production car would have the more powerful motor same as the 1st.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think VW were expecting to have all the 1sts delivered by now but got held up by you know what, so there will only be a few weeks between these and the normal production run.
    What many weren't expecting was that the mid range series production car would have the more powerful motor same as the 1st.

It was always indicated as an option, the only thing I believe has changed, is that we originally thought the options after launch would be the short range small motor, short range large motor, mid range small motor, and mid range large motor.
    Instead they've switched to only releasing the mid range large motor, and long range large motor. It reads to me that they are releasing the cars with the larger margins. (probably due to the easier CO2 compliance due to reduced demand caused by Covid)

It was always indicated as an option, the only thing I believe has changed, is that we originally thought the options after launch would be the short range small motor, short range large motor, mid range small motor, and mid range large motor.
    Instead they've switched to only releasing the mid range large motor, and long range large motor. It reads to me that they are releasing the cars with the larger margins. (probably due to the easier CO2 compliance due to reduced demand caused by Covid)

Possibly correct, I suppose until we see the prices soon it is only speculation what the cars will cost and which models we will get. The German grant system is confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I’m not sure if it’s just me but you are so Tesla biased I don’t know why you bother posting in other threads. I’d say literally every post you make refers to Tesla in some form.

• Advertisement

Can't catch covid if your incenersted in a Tesla;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Seem the old Tesla still having lots of issues, cant think of the name of the electric car reviewer.....the ssshhhhhiiiittttt guy

After all the bits falling off his other Teslas and issues with rust. His model 3 brakes seemed to fall to s**t on his.....

Just seen it online, his comments and amazment with the lack of cars getting bits swapped at the Tesla garage says it all in regards their reliability :P

https://www.faz.net/2.1690/corona-und-e-mobilitaet-elektroautos-von-vw-derzeit-ausverkauft-16864239.html
    German text
    ID3 1st Edition sold out with between 80 and 90% exercising their option to buy(source text not clear).
    Demand especially strong in Norway and the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Seem the old Tesla still having lots of issues, cant think of the name of the electric car reviewer.....the ssshhhhhiiiittttt guy

After all the bits falling off his other Teslas and issues with rust. His model 3 brakes seemed to fall to s**t on his.....

Just seen it online, his comments and amazment with the lack of cars getting bits swapped at the Tesla garage says it all in regards their reliability :P

Tesla Bjorn.

To be fair he is in Norway, the weather is frikking cold (minus 40-50 in winter in the North)

Most cars fall to bits/have issues due to the very cold climate and salt on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There havent been any test drives/reviews so no one really knows outside of VW but they do list different levels between standard and Max

For every ID.3 they list
    Lane keeping system “Lane Assist”

For the 1st max they list
    – Comfort drive “Travel Assist”, lane keeping system “Lane Assist” and “Emergency Assist”
    – Lane change assistant “Side Assist” and “Emergency Assist”

Impossible to really tell how good "Lane Assist" is based on that.
    i.e. Whats the difference between Lane Assist and Travel Assist?

We have to wait for reviews or our own test drives as it appears that customers will get the cars at the same time as everyone else.
    Travel Assist was introduced in the recent Passat Refresh.
    As far as I'm aware it's lane keeping, plus acc, plus speed limit sign recognition and control of your set speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqoWdxVRpyU

Emergency Assist, just brings the car to a gradual halt with the hazards on if the driver ignores enough prompts.

Redlim wrote: »
    I found some VW videos on youtube about Lane Assist and Travel Assist for other models but difficult to know if they'll translate the same to the ID.3

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmRj6rsRj-c
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dqoWdxVRpyU

It seems to me that "Lane Assist", which is what all ID.3's have, is just LKAS and not LFA(Lane Following).

So it will gently alert and nudge the steering wheel when you cross the white line.... so if you leave the car to its own devices it will bounce around the lane.

Does anyone have a 2020 model VW with Lane Assist and can confirm how it performs? I'd say the ID.3 will behave the same as other VW's in that regard.

"Travel Assist" doesnt appear to change "Lane Assist" either. It just adds some features like speed sign recognition which will auto adjust your speed when using Active Cruise Control.

It seems to me that "Lane Assist", which is what all ID.3's have, is just LKAS and not LFA(Lane Following).

I think they are using the mobile eye tech thats been on Ioniqs since 2016. Ping ponging around the lane is largely due to bad calibration, unkels noticeably improved when it was recalibrated after the windscreen replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

So it will gently alert and nudge the steering wheel when you cross the white line.... so if you leave the car to its own devices it will bounce around the lane.

Does anyone have a 2020 model VW with Lane Assist and can confirm how it performs? I'd say the ID.3 will behave the same as other VW's in that regard.

"Travel Assist" doesnt appear to change "Lane Assist" either. It just adds some features like speed sign recognition which will auto adjust your speed when using Active Cruise Control.

The spec sheet for the 1st and Plus includes a seemingly decent set of driver assist features though: Lane Assist, Front Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control with stop and go incl speed limiter, Dynamic Road Sign Display. This practically adds up to a proper LFA type system if the Lane Assist part is not just ping ponging between the lines. It would be a really odd move to not have it.

At 2.28 in the below Passat video there's an enhanced feature to the ACC with predictive speed control where the car will automatically slow down going around bends etc. Perhaps this and some sort of lane change assist are the added features for Travel Assist on the Max version. Wishful thinking maybe!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s7HCI33KVHA

Anybody got ideas on a date?

When ordering 3 weeks ago I was told september, however Bob Favin in his review of the Golf mentions Nov.
    On the youtube channel Battery Life says right hand drive will not ship till October at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

Anybody got ideas on a date?

When ordering 3 weeks ago I was told september, however Bob Favin in his review of the Golf mentions Nov.
    On the youtube channel Battery Life says right hand drive will not ship till October at the earliest.

Ha, that’d be the icing on the cake for this whole process!

• Advertisement

My local dealer will be getting a demo ID3 in three weeks.

Advertisement