Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

On the youtube channel Battery Life says right hand drive will not ship till October at the earliest.

Hopefully he just means the UK as they have a later pre orders window

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

My local dealer will be getting a demo ID3 in three weeks.

Where are they based?

As we know Ireland is not the biggest market for RHD cars

Where are they based?
    Germany.

Germany.

Good to know....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Germany.

Probably worth you mentioning that you are not in the Irish market whenever you talk about specifics like local dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd say they'll be very close to being here in 3 weeks as well, impression I got from the dealer is the demo is coming with the initial order which I hope mine is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

liamog wrote: »
    Probably worth you mentioning that you are not in the Irish market whenever you talk about specifics like local dealers.

Or put the location in the boards profile. That's what it's for!

edit: I can't even find that setting any more. Anyone know where it's gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd say they'll be very close to being here in 3 weeks as well, impression I got from the dealer is the demo is coming with the initial order which I hope mine is on.

Each dealer I spoke to said the same.... end of Aug, start of Sep for delivery.

At this stage of the process I cant imagine they have got the dates that badly wrong that it would be Nov. This isnt Tesla! :)

vw.de configurator is slowly coming live today.

edit:live now

500 quid for the exterior packet which is just a set of chrome\copper lines above the doors, c pillar stickers and black paint on wheel trims.
    absolute rip off.

110 quid for footmats which should be standard in the higher trims.
    no heat pump on most and costs 1300 as an extra.

• Advertisement

I have my van insurance through AXA. I put an enquiry into them by email (could not wait on hold any longer). As I will probably keep the van they said I could "mirror "the NCB on to the car.
    They are calling me back to quote, maybe this would help you?

Mmm will axa do a car on their own, put in a call the other day and she emailed on the relevant department but I haven't heard anything back. Best quote I've got so far is 1250 for myself and the Mrs and I've to surrender my no claims bonus, that's triple my current insurance..

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

unless they have pulled out of the market, EV Insurance were offering a great policy when all the Tesla Model3s came in lat autumn.

EV Insurance were allowing people to continue with their existing personal policies, noting the interest of the company as the owner of the vehicle. This allows people to continue using their own NCB and is by far the best option for people buying through a company (if still available)

I am speaking from experience, we have 2 company-owned EVs in our household and EVInsurance was hugely the better option, as we kept an NCB, the price was far lower and the insurer is a major well-known insurer.
    The company car policies organised by our broker have tended to be with smaller insurers I have never heard of and perhaps without the associated local services and points of contact.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

vw.de configurator is slowly coming live today.

edit:live now

500 quid for the exterior packet which is just a set of chrome\copper lines above the doors, c pillar stickers and black paint on wheel trims.
    absolute rip off.

110 quid for footmats which should be standard in the higher trims.
    no heat pump on most and costs 1300 as an extra.

I'm beginning to think this is the first time you've ordered a new car from Volkswagen, all the German manufacturers are well known (at least in Ireland) for providing options that have a fair amount of cost involved.

they don't even put heating in the backrests of the frontseats, just the base on the ID3. tight

I'm beginning to think you'd excuse VW anything.

Mod Note: Keep the language clean

It's not a case of excusing VW, it's a base model. It's pretty standard behaviour for car companies to have different levels of spec where you pay more to get more.

I much prefer this approach to the Hyundai Ireland approach of one spec without giving the person a choice.
    If there is a particular item you want, then go for the spec that has it. You will also find that a "spec" is generally cheaper than if you go for the lower spec and add all the options to it.

@liamog, trying to figure out how to get him to say 1st long range without ending up in trouble myself... : )

I'm actually impressed, the premium for the bigger battery is only €5,362, granted you'll have to leave the 3rd child at the side of the road, but did you ever really like them anyway.

We charge service info

DB2020AL00835_overfull.jpg?1595228187

It's not a case of excusing VW, it's a base model. It's pretty standard behaviour for car companies to have different levels of spec where you pay more to get more.

I much prefer this approach to the Hyundai Ireland approach of one spec without giving the person a choice.
    If there is a particular item you want, then go for the spec that has it. You will also find that a "spec" is generally cheaper than if you go for the lower spec and add all the options to it.
    I'm not looking at base level. I'm looking at 2nd from top trim level which still doesn't have alloy wheels or metallic paint.
    I always go for higher trim levels where I get maximum bang for the buck but they've deviously left out a lot of stuff to get you to pay still more..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm actually impressed, the premium for the bigger battery is only €5,362, granted you'll have to leave the 3rd child at the side of the road, but did you ever really like them anyway.

There's no space in the back for 3 kids anyway, unless you are a family of pygmees :p

• Advertisement

I'm not looking at base level. I'm looking at 2nd from top trim level which still doesn't have alloy wheels or metallic paint.
    I always go for higher trim levels where I get maximum bang for the buck but they've deviously left out a lot of stuff to get you to pay still more..

Yes, that's how selling options on cars work. It's not an ID.3 or VW issue. There is no point complaining about it. Options usually have quite a high margin so is something they like to sell. It's about as surprising as the sky being blue.

I'm at the stage where I won't even be booking a test-drive unless I see a significant discount offered over and above the manufacturer portion of the state sponsored EV incentive package. That's how disgusted I am by their pricing strategy.

catharsis wrote: »
    unless they have pulled out of the market, EV Insurance were offering a great policy when all the Tesla Model3s came in lat autumn.

EV Insurance were allowing people to continue with their existing personal policies, noting the interest of the company as the owner of the vehicle. This allows people to continue using their own NCB and is by far the best option for people buying through a company (if still available)

I am speaking from experience, we have 2 company-owned EVs in our household and EVInsurance was hugely the better option, as we kept an NCB, the price was far lower and the insurer is a major well-known insurer.
    The company car policies organised by our broker have tended to be with smaller insurers I have never heard of and perhaps without the associated local services and points of contact.

Waiting on a call back from them and liberty, have a fully comp quote from liberty for an eGolf value 40k for €340 with myself and the Mrs, waiting to see what they come back with running it through the Ltd.

I'm at the stage where I won't even be booking a test-drive unless I see a significant discount offered over and above the manufacturer portion of the state sponsored EV incentive package. That's how disgusted I am by their pricing strategy.

Ok, that's fair enough and your choice to make. I think you'll be waiting a while for discounts as most people who buy new cars from VW are probably well used to the concept of options that come with a price tag.

I'm not aware of any other manufacturer who provides a single spec of car with no options, but good luck with the search for your new vehicle.

swinging toward an e208 at the moment. 12% discount over and above the 3k obligation for the State scheme and in GT trim the only thing I will be adding is a glassroof. For that I'll be getting a car which still seats 4(not 5) people, a heat pump, stuffed with extras and and is not far off the range of an id3 when you consider that the lack of heatpump costs 30 to 40km off the claimed range of 420km.
    Hyundai, Renault, Nissan, Opel are all offering very decent discounts to us beyond the mandatory.
    Even BMW are offering discounts and the more packs you pick the more discount you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

Ok, that's fair enough and your choice to make. I think you'll be waiting a while for discounts as most people who buy new cars from VW are probably well used to the concept of options that come with a price tag.

I'm not aware of any other manufacturer who provides a single spec of car with no options, but good luck with the search for your new vehicle.

Tesla? (I presume that was a joke question but also hyundai, Kia, and basically almost all the other larger EV manufacturers to date - even Nissan has very few options on the leaf)

I have to say that I walked away from my ID3 purchase based upon VW pricing strategy also, although possibly for different reasons, but the price delta between 1st models in Germany and 1st model here of over 50% sickened me to the extent that I simply cancelled my order.

... with a tiny VAT difference and VRT of 14% there is no basis at all for a 1st Max to be over 15K more expensive than the base model in Ireland when the difference in Germany is under 10k.

This is just 'price discrimination' (i.e. screwing the Irish consumer) which economic theory tells us that informed customers with full access to information will not tolerate - let's see how many Max'es get sold here to see how theory meets practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

Is today the day the ID3 goes on general sale here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Tesla? (I presume that was a joke question but also hyundai, Kia, and basically almost all the other larger EV manufacturers to date - even Nissan has very few options on the leaf)

I have to say that I walked away from my ID3 purchase based upon VW pricing strategy also, although possibly for different reasons, but the price delta between 1st models in Germany and 1st model here of over 50% sickened me to the extent that I simply cancelled my order.

... with a tiny VAT difference and VRT of 14% there is no basis at all for a 1st Max to be over 15K more expensive than the base model in Ireland when the difference in Germany is under 10k.

This is just 'price discrimination' (i.e. screwing the Irish consumer) which economic theory tells us that informed customers with full access to information will not tolerate - let's see how many Max'es get sold here to see how theory meets practice.

Well, I'll be one of the test cases. I want all of the toys that the Max offers, but the extra I would have to pay to get them makes me feel like I'm being ripped off. It's simply not good value.

I will probably walk away, unless the dealer throws the kitchen sink into the deal. But I can't see anything being offered that would make the Max trim worthwhile.

Thankfully I'm very happy with what I'm in at the moment so I can wait it out for at least another year. Something will come along to temp me, I'm sure. :P

Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, Peugeot, Tesla all have multiple specs available. Granted they aren't all on the market in Ireland but it's an extremely common practice. Having a priced option for different alloys, exterior colour, and interior packages is also normal.
    By the time you spec the extra styling details on Max in Germany it costs more than the 1st Max, so I don't see the Irish version ending up cheaper. If you want the fancy toys, your going to have to pay for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Shango

Mmm will axa do a car on their own, put in a call the other day and she emailed on the relevant department but I haven't heard anything back. Best quote I've got so far is 1250 for myself and the Mrs and I've to surrender my no claims bonus, that's triple my current insurance..

Hey man, I just bought my first car last year at 32 and because I was named driver on the mrs' car for 10 years they gave me 5 years no claims bonus. So they definitely take named driver into account so get your name on her policy stat!

Advertisement