Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

catharsis wrote: »
    Tesla? (I presume that was a joke question but also hyundai, Kia, and basically almost all the other larger EV manufacturers to date - even Nissan has very few options on the leaf)

I have to say that I walked away from my ID3 purchase based upon VW pricing strategy also, although possibly for different reasons, but the price delta between 1st models in Germany and 1st model here of over 50% sickened me to the extent that I simply cancelled my order.

... with a tiny VAT difference and VRT of 14% there is no basis at all for a 1st Max to be over 15K more expensive than the base model in Ireland when the difference in Germany is under 10k.

This is just 'price discrimination' (i.e. screwing the Irish consumer) which economic theory tells us that informed customers with full access to information will not tolerate - let's see how many Max'es get sold here to see how theory meets practice.

To be fair the market in Germany is a bit distorted at the moment due to the 40k restriction on the BAFA Grant.

Tesla can't raise their prices either as it would push them over the threshold. So their Long Range and Performance models are actually addons so the base models stay under the 40k.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shango

Lads, Im new to the whole PCP thing and dealer isn't great at explaining things. But if I go PCP and put 30% down and say in a year want to change to another EV do I loose the full deposit down if I cancel it? In that case should I go ID3 Plan 0% down and then I can just walk away in a year or 2? I'm just thinking 2021/2022 will see alot of new cars come in, that if available now I wouldnt get the ID3, and I dont want to be stuck in the three years of PCP if Ill loose my down payment for cancelling it? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

Shango wrote: »
    Lads, Im new to the whole PCP thing and dealer isn't great at explaining things. But if I go PCP and put 30% down and say in a year want to change to another EV do I loose the full deposit down if I cancel it? In that case should I go ID3 Plan 0% down and then I can just walk away in a year or 2? I'm just thinking 2021/2022 will see alot of new cars come in, that if available now I wouldnt get the ID3, and I dont want to be stuck in the three years of PCP if Ill loose my down payment for cancelling it? Cheers.

I tried to break pcp to avail of better pvp rates on the executive egolf and was a nope.
    I am breaking current pcp from my egolf to new id.3.
    But essentially they just calculate your debt remaining and give you a crap trade it. So if you spending loads more in a year you get good trade in. You cant walk away from pcp easily and its hard to settle them.
    To be as helpful as possible
    2018 37k for egolf
    2020 22k offered for trade in

But I am 5 years pcp now. Make better choices :)

pearsefitz wrote: »
    I tried to break pcp to avail of better pvp rates on the executive egolf and was a nope.
    I am breaking current pcp from my egolf to new id.3.
    But essentially they just calculate your debt remaining and give you a crap trade it. So if you spending loads more in a year you get good trade in. You cant walk away from pcp easily and its hard to settle them.
    To be as helpful as possible
    2018 37k for egolf
    2020 22k offered for trade in

But I am 5 years pcp now. Make better choices :)

Kool thanks man, Ill rethink the %down. The ID plan looks best for me if I want to hand back and move onto new car in a year or 2

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You can always settle the PCP finance it's the same as paying the outstanding Hire Purchase, you sell the car privately then pay off the settlement figure.
    It's going to be very costly settling any finance at such an early stage.

The main thing that people forget with PCP is that the GMFV is part of the outstanding balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

liamog wrote: »
    You can always settle the PCP finance it's the same as paying the outstanding Hire Purchase, you sell the car privately then pay off the settlement figure.
    It's going to be very costly settling any finance at such an early stage.

The main thing that people forget with PCP is that the GMFV is part of the outstanding balance.

I don't think you can sell your car privately as part of PCP terms.
    Mines with VW but would like to know if that is or is not the case

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

pearsefitz wrote: »
    I don't think you can sell your car privately as part of PCP terms.
    Mines with VW but would like to know if that is or is not the case

The way it works, you ring the finance company (in this case VW bank) to obtain a cash settlement figure. You then sell the car to the buyer. The buyer gives you the money, you settle the finance, car transfers ownership to you, and then you transfer the ownership to the new buyer.

The way it works, you ring the finance company (in this case VW bank) to obtain a cash settlement figure. You then sell the car to the buyer. The buyer gives you the money, you settle the finance, car transfers ownership to you, and then you transfer the ownership to the new buyer.

This sounds legit, but who is going to give you money when you still owe finance and cant immediately transfer ownership to them, I'd see that as a massive risk for a prospective buyer? I mean I couldn't see myself buying a car like this.

Shango wrote: »
    This sounds legit, but who is going to give you money when you still owe finance and cant immediately transfer ownership to them, I'd see that as a massive risk for a prospective buyer? I mean I couldn't see myself buying a car like this.

That's why it's always more complicated selling a car with outstanding finance :D

Black\Silver wheel covers instead of Silver wheelcovers of the exact same design cost 140 euro in Germany...still more reasonable than the 500 for the external design packet especially as that C pillar decal treatment is probably going to get very shabby after just a year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Black\Silver wheel covers instead of Silver wheelcovers of the exact same design cost 140 euro in Germany...still more reasonable than the 500 for the external design packet especially as that C pillar decal treatment is probably going to get very shabby after just a year or two.

Not to mention that it looks cheap and tacky when new. :p

news from german forums is that straight buyers in Germany are getting no discounts today on the ID3 outside of the 3k(actually near 3500 when vat is added and subtracted) which VW is obligied to give in order to collect the 6k from the government.
    I deliberately phrase it that way because they add it on to take it off and the incentive is flowing to the manufacturer not the end-user.

Electic Twingo which hasn't gone on sale yet is listed at over 24k on Finance Ministry's website which is even more obscene for 22kwh of batteries and a motor/charger that costs about the same as an ICE to produce.

As I said, your are unlikely to get any kind of discount on a model that's only just been released and is likely to be in high demand.
    Is this your first time buying a brand new car?

news from german forums is that straight buyers in Germany are getting no discounts today on the ID3 outside of the 3k(actually near 3500 when vat is added and subtracted) which VW is obligied to give in order to collect the 6k from the government.
    I deliberately phrase it that way because they add it on to take it off and the incentive is flowing to the manufacturer not the end-user.

Electic Twingo which hasn't gone on sale yet is listed at over 24k on Finance Ministry's website which is even more obscene for 22kwh of batteries and a motor/charger that costs about the same as an ICE to produce.

The is the VAT discount of 3 percent, as long as your car is delivered before 31 December.

So ordering earlier in this case would save you around 1k.

Bought a few through the company car scheme.
    Long time since I bought a new car privately.
    I'll have to be ordering an e208 about 4 to 5 months in advance as it is in high demand but there are still plenty of discounts there.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

KCross wrote: »
    Each dealer I spoke to said the same.... end of Aug, start of Sep for delivery.

At this stage of the process I cant imagine they have got the dates that badly wrong that it would be Nov. This isnt Tesla! :)

My dealer told me the same, but as he hadnt a clue about most things involved the process so far, I took his dates with a pinch of salt

[HTML][/HTML]
    redcup342 wrote: »
    The is the VAT discount of 3 percent, as long as your car is delivered before 31 December.

So ordering earlier in this case would save you around 1k.
    My delivery date is fixed. The thing is the 3k discount is without vat/MwSt so it is actually around 3500 regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

[HTML][/HTML]
    My delivery date is fixed. The thing is the 3k discount is without vat/MwSt so it is actually around 3500 regardless.

What does all that mean? :confused:

It doesnt seem to relate to anything to do with ID.3 for Ireland?

[HTML][/HTML]

Ya I'm aware of that, MwSt is applicable on the date of delivery. If they delivery date is before December 31st then you'll pay 16% MwSt, if the car is delivered after December 31st you'll be issued a new invoice and have to pay 19%.

The 6+3 k are completely outside of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

He’s taking ab Germany. Completely irrelevant to us here.

• Advertisement

It's VAT, we seem to have a couple of posters based in Germany, who variously can't stand the pricing of the car or that Volkswagen sell options. It's a little odd to be honest, but it's nice to get updates from the home market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It's VAT, we seem to have a couple of posters based in Germany, who variously can't stand the pricing of the car or that Volkswagen sell options. It's a little odd to be honest, but it's nice to get updates from the home market.

Confusing for readers though if there is no context given and they talk about discounts etc.

There’s enough confusion on our own! :)

Confusing for readers though if there is no context given and they talk about discounts etc.

There’s enough confusion on our own! :)

Yeah I've asked them to make it clear, especially when mentioning local dealers having them available to order and test drive!

considering the Golf in Ireland comes with Alloys from base spec VWs approach to what is options and not is very interesting. Even higher spec ID3s cars come without alloys now. That stings.
    They don't put heating in the seat back so you'll have to turn the heating on in the depths of winter and they don't include a heatpump so that heating is going to reduce your range dramatically.
    A comment made on one of the German forums is that it is strange times indeed when a heat pump costs less in a Taycan than in an ID3 (co2 or no).

I've been checking volkswagen.ie no sign of the series model yet, though navigating to https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/models-and-configurator/id3.html does redirect to the 1st page.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Mmm will axa do a car on their own, put in a call the other day and she emailed on the relevant department but I haven't heard anything back. Best quote I've got so far is 1250 for myself and the Mrs and I've to surrender my no claims bonus, that's triple my current insurance..

Got a quote to mirror my van NCB (which is not great due to a claim) €1280.

Was kind of expecting it due to the claim, girl from AXA was surprised to see they have put the car in group 33 - Kia eniro is in 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

Anyone receive written confirmation of 1st Mover’s Club or was it just verbal from dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭PaulRyan97

considering the Golf in Ireland comes with Alloys from base spec VWs approach to what is options and not is very interesting.

Actually the new Golf 8 comes with 15" steel wheels in it's base trim, not many cars left out there that still do that. In fact VW have been accusing of cheapening the interior and implementing other cost cutting measures on a car that costs more than its predecessor.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    Actually the new Golf 8 comes with 15" steel wheels in it's base trim, not many cars left out there that still do that.
    not according to the irish configurator if I read it right but happy to be corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    VW have been accusing of cheapening the interior and implementing other cost cutting measures on a car that costs more than its predecessor.

We haven't seen the final production version of the interior of the ID.3 but strong chances that it will not be on a par with the the semi-premium interior of the Golf, but more like the econoboxes from the far east. Cheapening down is right.

Advertisement