Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

Is it the same as a golf two stalks, left is for lights and right for washers. Hard to tell from the picture.

I would presume so. I don’t think VW have messed with that configuration in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The same as the Mk8. The lights are a haptic type button and just always left on Auto, which is where it should be. The amount of people that keep turning the lights off still everytime they get out of the car.

The full beam then is on the stalk as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭eagerv

It just seems odd having the light switches to the left of the wheel, but at least they are not on the end of the stalk where they are on most Japanese/Korean cars.
    This I hate, particularly if you regularly hire cars in other RHD countries where they often have the light controls on the right and wipers on the left. I have often turned off the lights when I thought I turned off the rear wiper.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

My wife will be changing from a front wheel drive 107 hp leaf to the 204 hp rear wheel drive id3. I assume the low priced lady driver insurance is a thing of the past.
    Last car I had with that kind of power was a 170 hp estate, it seemed about right for it's size.
    Her driving style is spirited compared to mine.
    As we can't test drive, I assume there's an eco mode like the leaf on the id3, just to tame the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's got tons of grip even flooring it in the wet from take off according to some of the limited reviews, she'll do well to spin it with all the electronic stability controls, wouldn't worry about trying to tame it.
    Try liberty for insurance..

• Advertisement

Ok, its the nipping into roundabouts and stuff she does, I'll wait where as she will nip in.
    I'll be fine it, when I drive her leaf for a day or two, the predicted range rises as it picks up on the different consumption rates.
    It is odd though, buying a car off the plans.

With the quick take off to 60km/h it should be perfect for her nipping, I don't imagine it's going to be easy get the back out of line in any conditions, traction control will kick in straight away and the car will slow down. I hope it doesn't but there's no way VW will allow this to be tail happy.

In my mind 200 hp and rear wheel drive is hot hatch territory. I'm in a 120 hp superb 1.6 tdi, it's sedate but ok. Most of my previous cars were more powerful, but I don't really miss the power.
    I suppose this another advantage EVs have going for them, driver experience as bmw used to call it. Instant energy distribution to the wheels, or at whatever rate the control engineer allowed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

njburke wrote: »
    In my mind 200 hp and rear wheel drive is hot hatch territory. I'm in a 120 hp superb 1.6 tdi, it's sedate but ok. Most of my previous cars were more powerful, but I don't really miss the power.
    I suppose this another advantage EVs have going for them, driver experience as bmw used to call it. Instant energy distribution to the wheels, or at whatever rate the control engineer allowed.

Be careful to consider the weight of the car, EVs have more powerful motors because the cars are heavier. The raw hp isn't as important as the power to weight ratio.

It's seemingly the fastest accelerating car VW make up until 60km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

My wife will be changing from a front wheel drive 107 hp leaf to the 204 hp rear wheel drive id3. I assume the low priced lady driver insurance is a thing of the past.

I hope so. Insurance prices based on gender are no longer a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shango

Its not the Hp its the instant torque you will be worried about, hp down low is not that relevant.

I hope so. Insurance prices based on gender are no longer a thing.

Shows how out of touch I am, when did that change. I also think they gave her a discount because the car was electric at some point. So no gender factor in assessing risk profile, occupation, post code are all still in the mix.

Just rang the dealer, SEAI application is in, so that's all the paperwork done. So now we wait.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

liamog wrote: »

they look pretty nice in the grey with those wheels :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Irishjg

Independent ones preferably rather than VW sponsored.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd expect to see some reviews soon

Didnt they say the press cars are going out tomorrow?

So, I'd imagine there will be a scramble by all the youtubers to be the first to release a review... so Fri or Sat.

Irishjg wrote: »
    Independent ones preferably rather than VW sponsored.

Your not going to get fully independent reviews until the car is available for purchase, at least this should answer some of the questions around the interiors.

I have a feeling the first tests will be very much controlled by VW, probably given a script (Spec sheet) let out for an hour and then wined and dined..
    Hope I am wrong..

At least better than giving to some cleb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J5qJmoSs8w

Where can we use that we go card, is there a map..

https://twitter.com/jstackmann/status/1286200697323757569?s=20

• Advertisement

eagerv wrote: »
    I have a feeling the first tests will be very much controlled by VW, probably given a script (Spec sheet) let out for an hour and

In fairness this is how pretty much every car launch is done, it's a day out with a car, and spec sheet. There is usually some freedom for the reporters, then just after launch you start to get the more independent sources. There's no point complaining about a completely normal process.

It will be interesting if they ask reporters to focus on using the multimedia interface to allay fears about the "software issues".

Where can we use that we go card, is there a map..

https://twitter.com/jstackmann/status/1286200697323757569?s=20

its for ionity chargers i got the same thing with the e-tron.

Cyrus wrote: »
    its for ionity chargers i got the same thing with the e-tron.

There pretty sparse, is that the only place the free charging works, there's none west of athlone.

In fairness this is how pretty much every car launch is done, it's a day out with a car, and spec sheet. There is usually some freedom for the reporters, then just after launch you start to get the more independent sources. There's no point complaining about a completely normal process.

It will be interesting if they ask reporters to focus on using the multimedia interface to allay fears about the "software issues".

It's just that this "launch" is taking a bit longer than most. I know it's not entirely VW's fault.

I just want to see what an entry 1st looks like inside...:)

Mod Note: Moved VAT discussion to one thread, as its not model specific

There pretty sparse, is that the only place the free charging works, there's none west of athlone.

I don’t think it’s free is it ?

No monthly subscription but you pay the discounted per kwh fee

Cyrus wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s free is it ?

No monthly subscription but you pay the discounted per kwh fee

For ID.3 1st customers there is 1 yr free Ionity max 2000kWh and for normal ID.3 customers there is a reduced price.

Edit Max €600

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

In relation to the ‘free access at public charging points‘, product guide says:
    ‘accessible through IONITY, high performance charging network, and all public charging points connected with the We Charge service including the ESB ecars charging network’

Did anyone find out any more about reviews done today on the ID.3?
    The only report I could find is this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHlRjjOFu-0

Didn't reveal much except that someone over 2 Metres tall can get comfortable..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Advertisement