Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

carsfan2 wrote: »

Finally! When can one sit in one in Ireland in a dealership?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

carsfan2 wrote: »

Just watched it. Summary is car excellent to drive, well built. A bit too much hard plastic inside. Main criticism is that the software and buttons, sliders etc are fiddly to use

Decent car but a few things bother me,

Fussy overly fiddly infotainment , why do BMW get it and others not ? seriously, the iDrive system is just so fantastic, touchscreens are a pain in the hole in cars!

Hard Plastics, looks like the Caddy Van = no no

Seats look sh1t,

Would have been nice to have seen more power, even 250 Hp to take advantage of the RWD setup. Still, that RWD will make it so much better to drive than the Kona, E-Soul, E-Niro etc.

Multilink suspension also good.

Doesn't seem too fast above 100 Km/hr, seems VW went for the usual all low and no high setup, probably to grab headlines with acceleration off the line but 80-120 acceleration is where we need more power in electrics or just add a 2 speed gearbox.

It looks like 3 Adults would be a real struggle in the back.

Decent car, I'm just not sure I'd be happy in one but I can't wait for a test drive. I would need leather, couldn't care less if it came from Cows ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Looks a good car, sort of glad I went for the entry level 1st, less gadgets to confuse myself with.:)
    Power looks good as does quietness, space, handling and comfort. All the important things for me. I'm not too worried about seat materials, soft plastics etc as long as the car is well made, looks well and drives nicely with good range.

Happy so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

eagerv wrote: »
    Did anyone find out any more about reviews done today on the ID.3?
    The only report I could find is this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHlRjjOFu-0

Didn't reveal much except that someone over 2 Metres tall can get comfortable..

https://youtu.be/XZxAeMBtoSg

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Looks great to me.

The hard plastic - everyone said that about the T-Roc when it came out. And the reason everyone said it was because reviewers said it. Real life - people don’t go around touching up their doors, people don’t care.

3 adults in the back? I can’t remember the last time I ever had, or anyone ever had 3 adults in the back. It’s a hatchback, not a Sharan.

As for his complaints about the radio, it’s in the MK8. It’s a bit of getting used to, but once you know where everything is, after half an hour it’s like you never knew what a twisty button was. You move the mirrors once and then drive on, so I think this kinda stuff pointed out in reviews is a bit much, but people like to have something to give out about.

Have to say I think the seats look terrible, but it’s all save the cows so, we’ll make our proverbial bed of hay and sit on them.

Looks fantastic, I wish more people would brave the Makenna, it’s a super looking colour. Can’t wait to get it on the roads.

Its a pity they are only letting out the Max to their select few reviewers who get a lot of viewers and naturally a lot of comments. The Max is expensive in all markets and naturally a lot of comments will be in relation to interior materials for the price. And comparisons to Model 3 etc.
    Looking forward to a few reviews on the more normal €30K to €40K models which I think would have given the car a better start. Because I am sure it drives exactly the same as the expensive one..

To be fair bar the Seats and some specification the Max is going to be the same car, same quality same panels etc

Well if those were the seats in the expensive version I'm shocked.

How much will it cost in Ireland ?

Another review for drunkmonkey (I like your colour)
    The light highlights set it off well..

Nearly as good as the white..:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFECn17LJMQ&t=1514s

• Advertisement

Well if those were the seats in the expensive version I'm shocked.

How much will it cost in Ireland ?

The Max which are in the above reviews is about €47K IIRC in Ireland.

Either he’s just very excited or German is a very fast spoken language!

L-M wrote: »

Even the auto translate couldn't keep up with him...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Just looking at it, I think I'd struggle with storage space. The boot isn't all that big and there is no hope of a frunk.

The seats and door cards wouldn't bother me in the least. The dash without a map display is a let down, but the HUD is brilliant, if you can afford that spec.

The 20" wheels aren't nice at all, the 19" are much better. That stick on thing on the C pillar would be the first thing to go.

I don't usually like domestic appliance white on a car, but the black bits would help a lot and that's the colour I'd go for.

VW sent me my €1000 back as I hadn't ordered. I'm looking forward to playing with the configurator when it becomes available here.

Excellent review if you can understand it and youtube automatically generated subtitles won't help you.
    He also did a great review for the e208.
    Here he went in to the assistance systems, pro-active speed reduction and charging options.
    VW may be having problems with the software but the options they have already put in to it are class leading.

He says he'll be releasing a range and charging test tomorrow and I've seen other reviews from him. He knows what to check for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can you get YouTube to translate via captions, I set the default to English but if watching something in German it'll switch to default German captions, my German is ok but wouldn't mind full translation anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Even the auto translate couldn't keep up with him...:)

Somehow I can still understand him 100% :p

(and no, German is not my native language)

Just watched the whole video. It's a competent and very comprehensive review and by all means it looks like the car is an excellent EV. Best of luck to all the prospective owners in here, looks like you are all in for a cracker. Well wear!

The first paragraph of his description - and I don't think any of you will really need Google translate to get this:

ACHTUNG: Der ID.3 kommt und will den Markt erobern!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

He says he'll be releasing a range and charging test tomorrow and I've seen other reviews from him. He knows what to check for.

It looked like he had a 300km range there with a pretty full battery, hopefully a lot better than that.
    Not sure he really knows what to check for, like who takes a 200bhp RWD car into a field and doesn't cut some grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Surprised his 0-100 was slower than the official figure. Was hoping for faster, not slower! :)

It looked like he had a 300km range there with a pretty full battery, hopefully a lot better than that.
    Not sure he really knows what to check for, like who takes a 200bhp RWD car into a field and doesn't cut some grass.
    He was kindly allowed by a random farmer to film there and the track where he did the 0 to 100 kmph test was not an official road. VW just gave reviewers cars to do as they please and the Journalists spread out around Hanover.

• Advertisement

Another one from Car Maniac..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2suLHRabaY

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

and here is a review in English (of sorts :D)

Another one from Car Maniac..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2suLHRabaY
    Very Good results but conditions were optimal in Germany in the last two days.
    Temperature was over 20 degrees and dry.
    For someone coming from a petrol or diesel middle sized car it means they don't have to adjust their driving style and will still get to their destination.

Not too interested in all the assist systems, I have speed sign recognition adaptive cruise control on my Honda and to be honest very rarely use it. But the normal sign recognition is very handy to warn you if you exceed speed limit in unfamiliar areas. I normally set it about 5 km over the speed limit to allow for speedo error.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

Looks a good car, sort of glad I went for the entry level 1st, less gadgets to confuse myself with.:)
    Power looks good as does quietness, space, handling and comfort. All the important things for me. I'm not too worried about seat materials, soft plastics etc as long as the car is well made, looks well and drives nicely with good range.

Happy so far...

Same as. The recuperation the reviewer speaks of in the video; is that equivalent to regenerative breaking? Don’t recall it being mentioned in the product guide 🀔

heron_joe wrote: »
    Same as. The recuperation the reviewer speaks of in the video; is that equivalent to regenerative breaking? Don’t recall it being mentioned in the product guide ��

Not sure, my German isn't great and auto translate is not the most reliable.
    Assume it's something similar to Kia/Hyundai with their auto regen system.

I am fairly old fashioned preferring to drive car myself but I do like lane assist and occasionally Adaptive cruise control.

The fancy assist system is only on the max.
    AFAIK the normal 1st just has normal regen and a stronger regen if you flck forward the gear selector.
    I would have liked a zero regen as on the korean cars.

AFAIK the normal 1st just has normal regen and a stronger regen if you flck forward the gear selector.

In normal drive mode it will just free wheel, if that’s what you mean?

It is on Tech trim too AFAIK which doesn't have dynamic chassis control.

• Advertisement

In normal drive mode it will just free wheel, if that’s what you mean?

Yes, on the Wifes' Ioniq I often leave it on zero regen which I like if rural driving. Car just freewheels effortlessly with very little power imputs.

Advertisement