Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

eagerv wrote: »
    Yes, on the Wifes' Ioniq I often leave it on zero regen which I like if rural driving. Car just freewheels effortlessly with very little power imputs.

Yeah, that will be the same in any electric car surely?

To turn on the Regen in the ID you flick the shifter forward once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

L-M wrote: »
    Yeah, that will be the same in any electric car surely?

To turn on the Regen in the ID you flick the shifter forward once more.

I would imagine that level 1 regen is by default on the ID3, If you want stronger then you flick shifter forward. But all assumptions atm..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The car maniac review above on range and charge speed was a decent result.

The summary figures from that were

20.5kWh/100km @ 120km/h
    30.6kWh/100km @ 150km/h

Since our motorway speed limit is 120km/h it looks like the car will do ~280km at that speed in good conditions.

Then charging on Ionity, starting at 12% it added 70% in ~35mins.

12% 100kW (405V/250A)
    27% 101kW (421V/240A)
    36% 93kW(423V/222A)
    46% 79kW
    53% 72kW
    58% 66kW (429V/154A) 19mins for 28kWh added (avg 88kW!)
    80% 50kW (447V/114A) 33mins for 40kWh added (avg 72kW)

My own target is to be able to do Cork-Dublin return in the one day with no more than 15-20min stop in both directions. Looks like that's going to be easily achieved, maybe only one charge if the charger was in the right place.

Also noticed that it doesnt show the charge rate in the car itself. I hope they add that in an update at some point or at the very least have it in the app so that you can disconnect at the best time and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There all test driving the max so the 1st and plus should see better economy. Dublin to cork and back with one coffee stop would be impressive.

My wife drove her Ioniq 28kWh from west Co Wexford to Dublin on fri evening in a bit of a hurry with about 70km of motorway at 120kmh+. Total about 140km. She had 48 km remaining upon arrival.
    I would expect the ID.3 to be able to double that range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brera

KCross wrote: »
    The car maniac review above on range and charge speed was a decent result.

The summary figures from that were

20.5kWh/100km @ 120km/h
    30.6kWh/100km @ 150km/h

Since our motorway speed limit is 120km/h it looks like the car will do ~280km at that speed in good conditions.

Then charging on Ionity, starting at 12% it added 70% in ~35mins.

12% 100kW (405V/250A)
    27% 101kW (421V/240A)
    36% 93kW(423V/222A)
    46% 79kW
    53% 72kW
    58% 66kW (429V/154A) 19mins for 28kWh added (avg 88kW!)
    80% 50kW (447V/114A) 33mins for 40kWh added (avg 72kW)

My own target is to be able to do Cork-Dublin return in the one day with no more than 15-20min stop in both directions. Looks like that's going to be easily achieved, maybe only one charge if the charger was in the right place.

Also noticed that it doesnt show the charge rate in the car itself. I hope they add that in an update at some point or at the very least have it in the app so that you can disconnect at the best time and move on.

Those figures really do look impressive. I wonder have VW been conservative with the battery. Hopefully after a few months and lots of them on the road they’ll have enough data to issue a software update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I had a vague interest in the ID3 (but more realistically the forthcoming saloon) however the interior is abysmal. I wouldn’t even bother going to check one out in person.

What is going on with the door cards in the rear.

moleyv wrote: »
    I had a vague interest in the ID3 (but more realistically the forthcoming saloon) however the interior is abysmal. I wouldn’t even bother going to check one out in person.

What is going on with the door cards in the rear.
    If you compare the interior quality to a premium class car from the turn of the century like a 5-series or even a Rover 75 or even stepping down to a Mk4 Golf the quality of the interior materials is really, really poor.
    VW want to be Apple because software once written can be replicated many times over without additional cost.

The seats are deplorable and some of the plastics look like they came from the Caddy Van ffs.

The seats are deplorable and some of the plastics look like they came from the Caddy Van ffs.

Wait till you see the high quality entry level seats.....:)

Apart from the brochure pics I don't think anyone has seen them yet..
    Either they look terrible, or quite possibly as good as the Max ones..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Seats are vefy comfy and I never touch plastic in any of my cars before so what is the point discussing it all the time? Car is to drive and this one is driving well. That is all we need to know.

kris_2021 wrote: »
    Seats are vefy comfy and I never touch plastic in any of my cars before so what is the point discussing it all the time? Car is to drive and this one is driving well. That is all we need to know.

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

The seats do look bad alright , although no reviews are giving negative comments about them. Fingers crossed there not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

My wife and I just watched the new review from Autogefuhl on YouTube. It's in English with a heavy German accent. We found it very clear informative, particularly his description of the driving dynamics.

I’m not really talking about the plastics. I’m talking about the look of it. The rear door cards look like a sea shell bidets from the 70s.

The drivers cluster is on par with a Toyota Yaris.

The overall aesthetic is a failure of minimalism. Yes a nice big display is nice, but not with crt tv style surrounds. It’s like a 70s style attempt at a car from the future.

The car looks big, how is the boot so small?

The wheels Loon like they are off a hot wheels.

The car is more Nissan inside than VW.

Luckily all of this is subjective and some people will be happy.

The trick of soft touch plastics has been used in the automotive industry for years to portray a sense of quality. With Auto journalists more than happy to play along.

I used to have a Renault Megane II which had lots of soft touch plastics and carpet lining the pockets etc. Lots of talk at the time in the press that it was step up in quality for the French brand. It did look great but it was a still a pack of French crap underneath.

VW will have been looking at ways to save weight and cost with this car and the interior plastics will have a played a part in that. I personally couldn’t care about the plastics if they have gotten the drive train and battery tech right.

After looking at the Autogefuhl video it seems the ID3 will be a game changer especially if VW licence out the platform to other manufactures.

If I was Nissan I would be very worried about the leaf.

As has been posted earlier it looks like the consumption at @120kph is about 20.5 KWh/100km Tesla Bjorn got about 22 KWh/100km from a Nissan Leah at the same speed. It’s early days but so far it’s looking like the ID3 will be a great EV.

eagerv wrote: »
    Wait till you see the high quality entry level seats.....:)

I can't wait lol :D

moleyv wrote: »
    I’m not really talking about the plastics. I’m talking about the look of it. The rear door cards look like a sea shell bidets from the 70s.

The drivers cluster is on par with a Toyota Yaris.

The overall aesthetic is a failure of minimalism. Yes a nice big display is nice, but not with crt tv style surrounds. It’s like a 70s style attempt at a car from the future.

The car looks big, how is the boot so small?

The wheels Loon like they are off a hot wheels.

The car is more Nissan inside than VW.

Luckily all of this is subjective and some people will be happy.

I actually think the car looks good.

Inside, the infotainment screen and cockpit screen look cool but the Infotainment looks chaotic and cluttered. Plastics and seats cheap as chips, seats look ugly as sin.

Touchscreens are ridiculous in cars, I just don't get why they don't use a system like BMW's iDrive ? it's so easy to use and you don't have to reach for a screen with a car bouncing over a bumpy road and hit wrong buttons.....

I'm not sure I'd opt now for the id.3, still can't wait to test one. Leather is a must for me though

Inside, the infotainment screen and cockpit screen look cool but the Infotainment looks chaotic and cluttered. Plastics and seats cheap as chips, seats look ugly as sin.

Touchscreens are ridiculous in cars, I just don't get why they don't use a system like BMW's iDrive ? it's so easy to use and you don't have to reach for a screen with a car bouncing over a bumpy road and hit wrong buttons.....

I'm not sure I'd opt now for the id.3, still can't wait to test one. Leather is a must for me though

I get the impression that interior of the ID3 may have been launched too early. I seems to me that’s it’s been designed to be worked around the head up display and voice control with the other controls seeming to be almost like add ons.

I do like the idea of having smart controls for the heating. Being able to say my feet are cold seems quite handy.

I like the exterior for the class of car. I love the turquoise colour.

Going up specs costs less for a lot of the premium segment, which is bizarre and the max even seems a bit sparse at that.

I had high hopes for what is to come from VW in terms of EVs, as any VW I had has been solid and practical, but the interior of the ID3 has set a low tone.

My next car won’t be an EV but the one after will be, so I patiently await something that would fit my wish list, and budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Worth a quick watch from 1 to 2 minutes in just to see her get the rear out.
    From about 9 minutes, it's the exterior/interior in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Have to say I misinterpreted the first part of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

L-M wrote: »
    Have to say I misinterpreted the first part of your post.

Indeed :D

I asked VW Ireland about the VAT rate reduction on 1 Sept 2020 and they have confirmed that the RRP will drop by 2% accordingly.

So, that means a cheaper ID.3 1st edition for prebookers. Once the 6 months is up and the rate goes back to 23% it will return to the higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

I asked VW Ireland about the VAT rate reduction on 1 Sept 2020 and they have confirmed that the RRP will drop by 2% accordingly.

So, that means a cheaper ID.3 1st edition for prebookers. Once the 6 months is up and the rate goes back to 23% it will return to the higher price.
    Roughy €700 on the cheapest 1st then, I’m pretty sure the dealer will have to be prompted on this reduction.

Roughy €700 on the cheapest 1st then, I’m pretty sure the dealer will have to be prompted on this reduction.

yep i have asked a few in the trade about this and so far they havent decided internally how much of that saving, if any, is to be passed to customers :eek:

Cyrus wrote: »
    yep i have asked a few in the trade about this and so far they havent decided internally how much of that saving, if any, is to be passed to customers :eek:

Is there much precendent in this country for a dealer to sell a car above the RRP set by the importer?

I think a dealer would get some backlash for that.

I think a dealer would get some backlash for that.

yes youd have thought so, the only way it would work is for the entire industry to get on board with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Simple answer, Sat Nav ... I don't about you but using iDrive to work the Sat Nav in an BMW is a frustrating experience, so much so that you end up using your phone because it's a pain in the H to search for anything.

You can use connected drive tho to send stuff to the car I guess .. but then what the point as you always need a phone to use the navigation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

As near as I can tell, any car interface is as much about what you are familiar with as it is the interface. If you are experienced with iDrive then it's probably great, any time I've had to use one, I've just been annoyed I can't touch the screen, but both our cars have touchscreens.

Advertisement